USAA (United Services Automobile Association)auto insurance

Our car was hit from behind by a driver who was a member of USAA. The police were called and they confirmed that we were hit from behind and the other driver was following too close. We exchanged information and filed the following claim with USAA:

Shawna Shelton, USAA Adjuster
[protected]
ext: 31731

Claim #: [protected]
Policy owner: P. Wright
Driver: J. Wright

email for claim:
[protected]@claims.usaa.com

We contacted USAA 11 times over the course of 2 weeks. They kept saying the adjuster, Shawna Shelton, would contact us. We insisted on speaking to someone, but they kept saying the claim was pending and they were waiting for the report. After 2 weeks, we finally got a person at USAA to admit that they had the report after the first few days but they were just stalling. Shawna Shelton finally sent an email (after business hours, so we couldn't call her back until the next day) that the claim had been denied, but they gave no reason.
This company is unethical and resorts to fraud. They lied to us in every conversation and even kept getting our names wrong. It seemed like they were intentionally causing problems. This company was once alright, but now they are just criminal, taking advantage of service men and women.

• Ye
    Yehoshuah Saves Sep 07, 2017

I have just had almost the exact same experience. What did you do? Did you take them to small claims court or hire an attorney?

I suspect that we can probably get a bunch of folks together who USAA has done this to and get an attorney to file a class action lawsuit against them on our behalf.

• Mi
    MicheleH Sep 20, 2017

@Yehoshuah Saves I have been dealing with USAA over a year now after their insured hit me. They "fixed my car" made me pay part on the rental (because not all of it was in the budge) we did settle the BI portion as it was minimal. I am fighting them over diminished value as my vehicle was BRAND NEW - fresh off the dealership lot (less than two months) when their insured rear-ended me at a stop sign. He stated when the car in front of me went he thought I did and hit me. Well any way - I have TWO appraisals for the DIV of my vehicle one for 4, 386 and the second (that A YEAR LATER the rep from USAA requested I do as they didn't accept the first one because I found the company on line) from a dealership and that was 3, 800 well USAA seems to think $767 in diminished value is 'fair and reasonable' on a brand new car with 4, 000 miles on it. - I have asked them to show me exactly HOW they came up with that figure - trying to be fair here. All I am given is definitions stating high mileage (over 100, 000) prior damage (brand new vehicle with NO prior damage) were determining factors . Well the battle goes on. I have three years from the date of the incident to settle or file a lawsuit (for property damage) And it is the insurers responsibility to indemnify me in whole. So unless they are willing to buy me a new vehicle like and kind of my vehicle seconds before their insured hit me then I am entitled to DIV. and not 767! as if I traded my car in today just because it has an accident on record (even though I am not at fault) the dealership will take off a minimum of 3, 800 per their appraisal.

• Mi
    MicheleH Sep 20, 2017

@MicheleH First adjuster was Melody Simmons - then it went up to the office of the CEO customer advocacy Angelica Leos. And since I have complained to the Bureau of Insurance / The Better Business Bureau / Consumer Affairs / and anyone one and every where else I can.

• Se