Having problems with USAA?

USAA reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Sep 17, 2007. The latest review Accounts- Checking, Savings, Etc. was posted on Jun 15, 2021. The latest complaint dropped policy was resolved on Dec 06, 2014. USAA has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 272 reviews. USAA has resolved 88 complaints.

USAA Customer Service Contacts

1800 531 8722 (Customer Service)
+1 210 531 8722 (Customer Service)
+1 800 472 8722 (Individual Retirement Accounts)
+1 877 899 6325 (Trust Services)
+1 800 258 4060 (Real Estate Rewards Network Assistance)
+1 800 531 8555 (Roadside Assistance)
+1 888 452 7754 (Auto Glass Repair & Replacement)
+1 877 314 2255 (Financial Planning)
+1 800 292 8294 (Survivor Relations Team)
+1 210 456 6310 (Accessibility)
9800 Fredericksburg Road
San Antonio, Texas
USAA Federal Savings Bank
10750 McDermott Freeway, San Antonio, TX 78288-9876

USAA Investment Management Company
P.O. Box 659453, San Antonio, TX 78265-9825

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with USAA Customer Service. Initial USAA complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for USAA above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about USAA. Discuss the issues you have had with USAA and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

USAA Complaints & Reviews

USAA (United Services Automobile Association)banking

Received my new USAA Visa Debit Card today with the chip, replacing the existing MasterCard non-chip Debit Card. I am given two options to verify:
Go to a USAA website or call an 800 number. So I go to the website, enter all my authentication info, and then told I have no cards to verify. So I call the 800 number. The robot is so obtuse it takes 12 times for me to enter the last four numbers on the card to accept it. I then am transferred to a human. After nearly seven minutes, I still cannot get my card activated. I give up.
I have been with this company for 47 YEARS. USAA is now the sorriest company I deal with. I hate having to call them or go on their website.
This inability to verify a new card is typical of USAA's incompetence.

USAA (United Services Automobile Association)usaa — worst aspects from government and military rolled into one

I've been a member of USAA for 15 years. They have really declined in recent years, and despite what they say, they don't believe in supporting the military and their families. They are a profit driven organization with direct links to government, taking the worst from both worlds. I was a military kid and a USAA member, and parents, be warned they will try to recruit your kids when they turn 18 -- wonderful military customer service stories and small talk, and lots of "you should joins." Their rates are average in half the states and poor the the others, their customer service quality has declined terribly in the past 5 years, and their products other than auto are sub-par. While auto claims were okay, I had a heck of a time getting them to cover a home owners claim... not the experience you want when you have that kind of a crisis. Perhaps if I would have gone in the military I would have had decent service... Avoid USAA at all costs. They are not what they advertise to be -- protect your kids from these A$$ holes and build a better life for them.

USAAclaims department

To Whom It Concerns:

My insured was in an automobile accident on June 19, 2016 with Austin Harms, who is ­insured by USAA Insurance Company. I notified USAA of the accident on June 20, 2016. On June 20, 2016, I submitted a copy of driver exchange form to USAA for my insureds claim .

On July 20, 2016, My insured received a packet from Desiree D. Jackson, a claims adjuster from USAA. Ms. Jackson offer was about 1000 less than what I feel the vehicle should be worth. Several phone calls to Ms. Jackson and several left message not one phone call has been returned by her. A phone call on July 22, 2016, A conversation with Daniel Gorelik an adjuster at USAA, USAA does have lia­bility for the accident but waiting on State Farm (where another vehicle involved) to see what other vehicle goes for on auction to offered to settle my insureds claim. Mr. Harms's policy does not have enough liabitily to pay out for both vehicles so a percentage will have to be applied to each vehicle.

I have had multiple conversations with Mr. Gorelik and left numberous voicemail messages for Desiree D Jackson, between June 20 to present of August 2, 2016. They have made no other settlement offer and refuse to give any reason for their failure to make a reasonable offer.

I believe that USAA is negotiating in bad faith. I hope that you will investigate this matter and USAA to make a good faith offer of settlement.

Enclosed are copies of all correspondence between me and USAA, plus copies of documents supporting my claim.

Yours truly,

Jennifer Schryver-Agent
      Smeltzer Insurance

____________________

• Gu
          Gustavo E Cabezas Sr Jan 17, 2020

Mr. USAA Bank Tuesday 14 January 2020 try to see my account because and a deposit of $400.00 Dolores on 01/14/2020, at12:04 terminal KR002868
          6055 FRY RD - KATY TX 77449
          LEDGER BAL $250.36
          WHO IS THE DEBIT CAR TERNINA THE NUMBERS UTIMOS ARE *********1414
          I ALSO COULDN’T FIND MY DEPOSITE DE MIS $400.00

WEDNESDAY 15/2020 At 9:00 am
          Mr. USAA Bank Tuesday 14 January 2020 try to see my account because and a deposit of $400.00 Dolores on 01/14/20, at12:04 terminal KR002868
          6055 FRY RD - KATY TX 77449
          CARD NUMBER *******************1414
          REFERENCE NUMBER [protected]
          FROM CHECKIN ACCOUNT **************
          WITHDRAWAL $400.00
          AVAILABLE BAL $243.28
          LEDGER BAL $250.36
          WHO IS THE DEBIT CAR TERNINA THE NUMBERS UTIMOS ARE *********1414?
          You ALSO CAN FIND THE COOPY OF MY $400 DEPOSIT
          WEDNESDAY 15 /2020 AT 9:00am TRY TO SPEAK TO USAA BANK TO HELP ME ENTER MY ACCOUNT BUT THE SENORITA WAS VERY ANTIPATIC AND I CLOSE THE TELEPHONE AND NOT ADDED TO GIVE ME THE 6 NUMBERS,
          I DO NOT INPORATE THAT I HAVE PROBEMAS WITH MY EARS AND I DON'T LISTEN.

United Services Automobile Associationcar insurance

My car was recently stolen (7/9/16) and unfortunately recovered 6 days later after being in several high speed chases ultimately blowing out the front tire. I contacted USAA and left several messages over the 6 day period and my only return contact with USAA was a message they left on their website...I actually begged them to call me back. When I finally got in touch with them by calling through a different department, they informed me of all the things that I had to do to get my car back - they didn't actually assist or do ANYTHING. I stupidly used one of their approved bodyshops who didn't check the engine or front end - ONLY the body components (in a car everyone knows was abused).. USAA authorized all of the work without my consent and sent the check to the auto shop. I found out via their website. I completely disagreed with their estimate (replacing only 1 tire on an AWD quattro?, ~$400 for rim repair - why not buy a new one for that price?, etc.) They also do not account for the loss in value of a stolen vehicle. This has been the most unprofessional company I have ever worked with - They used to have my respect for the past 24 years. I will be leaving them and wont look back - other companies are just as good if not better now.

USAA Federal Savingschecking account

I was scamed by a company representing themselves as Cash net USA. They had all my personal information due to the fact I was searching for a loan on the internet. I reported these people to USA and now my checking account has been closed by USA, and USA knows I was scamed. And you say you help the veterans and military families. Wow this has caused me undue stress, raised my blood pressure and I'm shaking because my nerves are bad

USAA — banking

My checking, savings, credit card and home equity line of credit accounts were all defrauded in numerou...

USAAinsurance

As a longtime (over 15 years) customer of USAA for a multitude of their product offerings, including Investment services, banking, credit cards and homeowner and auto insurance, I am qualified to comment about their flawed corporate culture and poor customer service all the way up to the Office of the President. Anyone who watches television must be familiar with USAA’s commercial which runs incessantly (at least where I live in Los Angeles) propounding the message “We know what it means to serve.” Unfortunately, my years of experience with USAA has shown that USAA does not “know what it means to serve their customers/members.” When I challenged a representative in their insurance department that I had numerous experiences where their employees demonstrated that “they do not know what it means to serve” his priceless response was that he had served two tours of duty in the armed services and then hung up on me. Clearly, he was not familiar with USAA’s commercial or their corporate slogan. I called the Office of the President to bring attention to the lack of common sense exhibited by their employee. They assured me that they would listen to the recorded call. While they agreed with my interpretation of their slogan’s intended meaning that “USAA knows what it means to serve their members” and not only that “USAA knows what it means to serve in the military” they were unwilling to call out their employee for his rude and irrational limited misinterpretation of their slogan and his abrupt termination of my call. I only wish this was an isolated incidence, but it is not. I have had misinformation and poor service from people in their claims department, credit card fraud department and banking, including by employees with the title of Director. To me it is more important to measure a company by how their respond to legitimate factual complains about mistakes and errors in judgement of their employees and what they to mitigate or correct the error then that they made the mistake in the first place. But either measure, number of employee mistakes or actions of management to mitigate or correct the mistake, USAA has repeatedly failed with me and thousands of others who voice their issues on a variety of complaint blogs. Just Google “USAA complaints” and see for yourself.

• La
                LaTasha Richardson Sep 08, 2016

Everything you have said about them is accurate. I'm leaving them and I urge everyone to as well or you'll be sorry you didn't.

USAA Auto Insurance Co.worst customer service in the history of bad customer service

Move over cable TV and phone companies, there is another bad-actor in town - USAA customer (dis)service.

I have been an USAA "victim" for about 3 years now and I must say that this company puts the UCK in SUCK!

Every, (and I mean every) transaction with USAA customer service is a major debacle. I really cannot think of a time that I had a pleasant experience. The representatives are rude and the rules they enforce are laughable. e.g. trying to pay the auto insurance premium on a car that it is my name that my daughter drives so the policy is in her name (their rule, not mine). EVERY six months I have to fight, kick, snort and plead to pay this premium for my starving student daughter.

Itshouldntoughtabethisway.

The horrible customer service perpetrated by USAA is just not worth the savings! I think it might be time for me to go car insurance shopping for my three cars. Yeop, did I mention I insure my and my sons car as well with USAA?

Congratulations Takia and Princess (couldn't make those names up if I tried!) you hit a triple in serving USAA’s "lose one customer at a time" business model!

USAAbanking / insurance

I had rental insurance on my policy and traded in a vehicle that was covered but had the rental insurance transferred over to the new vehicle, I had a accident with the new vehicle and while in the process of reporting the accident I found out that USAA did not transfer my rental insurance as I requested them to, so this became an issue because things came to a stand still before moving forward with the repair of my vehicle so that I can get a rental car, this has made me very upset because it is unprofessional business on USAA's behalf, someone did not do their job and that's unacceptable, I pay insurance for situation like this not to run into problems but to take care of them as they occur, I have an excellent driving record and have been with USAA for many years, I will find another Insurance company if things are not quickly resolved.

• Wine Is Good Jun 24, 2016

Rental insurance is an addon. When you changed vehicles, did you specifically ask for rental insurance on the new policy? Or did you just assume they would add it? Unless you added the new vehicle to an existing policy with a car already covered, you would have gotten a new policy altogether.

USAAauto insurance

USAA randomly removed my rental reimbursement when I purchased a new vehicle and traded in my old one! USAA will randomly make changes to your insurance without your permission. Make sure you review your documents and coverage weekly. I changed mine to paper mail delivery to make sure they don't scam me again.

• Ji
                      Jim Barnhart Jun 30, 2016

It appears the complaint is unfounded. That person is ignorant about the policy that they bought. This could be a good learning experience for him or her. USAA is always rated either #1 or #2 of all auto insurance companies.

• Wine Is Good Jun 24, 2016

When you change a vehicle on your insurance, you change the policy. Meaning your previous policy is null and void. You are insured for that vehicle. Once that vehicle is removed, then that policy is no longer valid as there is nothing to insure. That is why you get a new policy. A new policy needs YOUR permission to ADD ON the rental clause. Why would they need your permission to remove the rental addon? They do not need your permission to cancel a policy you already told them was no longer valid.

The ONLY exception to this scenario is if you already have multiple vehicles on a single policy and exchange one. DUH!

• Ni
                      Nicky Smith Jun 24, 2016

Duh! I know it's an ADD ON and they removed it without my permission.

• Wine Is Good Jun 22, 2016

Rental insurance is an ADD ON. It is not default, you have to ask for it. Did you look over your insurance when you changed vehicles to make sure your add on applied? It is not a scam. It is your responsibility to make sure you get all you want when YOU make changes to a document.

USAAchecking

My son had seen me take a picture of a check and decided to do the same thing. This resulted in me having a negative balance of $1600. I called to find out why my account was unavailable and the woman treated me like I was asking for government trade secrets. She refused to tell me what was going on with my account. When I found out what had happened, I told them I would have part of my checks go to them to pay it back. I was told by the rude man on the phone that I didn't have a check. It all belonged to them. I said that I had spoken with someone the previous day and had even sent them $200 that same day. I asked how could they take ALL of my money and if they did, I wouldn't have a place to live. He said OH well, you owe that money to us. How dare you. I hate USAA and will NEVER have another thing to do with them again. They can all go F&$K themselves.

USAAauto insurance

Don't ever become a member or get in an accident with a member. My car was at a garage getting fixed and the day before I was to pick it up a usaa member hit another car and that car smashed into mine. First was the rudest person ever Eric carrol a real straight [censored] bag. Didn't help me what so ever and was rude as could be. Telling me it will take as long as it takes, and not willing to even help me with a rental. Five days later and probably 20 messages later, with no returned calls, I'd had it I called a friend of the attorney General of ny and my insurance company, then called usaa to see what they had to say now, and they became very helpful, at first. Was offered a rental on friday April first, was told Kim would call me by monday. Well Monday came and went so on Wednesday I call back and they say yes were liable and we offer you 2486 dollars, my car books for 3700. I say no i want to talk to Angela the estimate specialist, she treats me like ### as the rest of the usaa people did. Even the other insurance companies that spoke with the same people said they were the rudest unhelpful people theyve ever spoke to. Now the fun part. With Angela back on the phone arguing back and forth I tell her I'm goin to look at my car to see this rust you speak of. I get to the garage my car was gone, so to find out that the insurance actually picked it up without my knowledge or permission on the first. Then talking to usaa they say oh we told you, oh no you didn't cause I asked if i needed to take my car home and usaa says the car is not to be removed until everything is finalized. Well now I can't argue about rust or any damage cause usaa removed the car shipped it two hours away with my personal belongings, and when I left numerous messages with differant adjusters supervisor I get no return calls. So my car has been "stolen" and I have no way of fighting for what's owed to me, and you have to just take it in the ### as they say in life. This company has cost me to lose over three grand even with the settlement that I haven't even seen yet. If i had the money and resources I would fight these losers till the end. But I'm just a hard working person that doesn't have a lot. One good thing is I know a lot of people that are involved high up in the military and my boss has the largest car dealership in ny. So I reported everything that happened to the attorney General and a campaign is being created to end usaa business in ny. Just cause you can screw the little guys over, doesn't always mean they don't have friends to effect your business. This company needs to be shut down or changes need to be made.

• Ni
                          Nicky Smith Jun 22, 2016

Their employees in the complaints resolution department are snooty, condescending, and rude.

USAAbanking

I had been with USAA for over 10 plus years. The last three years they have taken a nose dive. I have removed all my business from them, ie: checking, savings, credit card, and finally my auto loan. The auto loan was the final straw. I had previously set up automatic drafts for my auto loan payment. No issues, until March. That's when I notice that two payments were still in my account. I call, speak with a representative who seemed as confused as I was, and set up a lump payment for the total payments sitting in my account. The following Monday I get a call from the repo department! They demanded I pay 797$ immediately. I was shocked and explained about the payments previously set up and how I called to make a lump payment. I was told, and I quote, it's not their problem the payments didn't come out, they aren't in charge of account numbers. That was just so unprofessional. I went to my local credit union and got a new loan for my car and called USAA for the payoff amount. The loan officer took the information from USAA and finalized my new loan, sent off the paperwork and I was relieved that USAA is no longer my headache. Well, now usaa is saying they gave me and the credit union the wrong payoff amount. This is after my loan officer got the payoff amount good for ten days. I'm still trying to get USAA to fix this mistake. They are unprofessional, unhelpful, rude, and have no business dealing with the military community.

USAA — refusal to remove a levy on exempt funds

On April 6, 2016 at approximately 4pm, I noticed that $161.51 was placed on a hold in my secondary account...

USAAsecurity/privacy and customer service

Recently I submitted all the required documents for eligibility and residence via an email attachment to USAA. When I called after three days, a Customer Service representative told me they received my email but no attachment. Since the attachment included more than enough information for identify theft, I was concerned before submitting, but another USAA agent assured me their email was secure.

When I expressed my concern about the missing attachment to the Usaa agent, she was completely unconcerned about any security/privacy implications and told me she knew other veterans experienced the same problem.

Now, having read literally hundreds of complaints about Usaa on this and other boards, consider myself extremely fortunate that my application did not go forward.

Thanks to all the people who do us great service by filing their complaints. They probably represent only a small percentage of what is really happening with this company.

USAAnot covering my stolen enclosed trailer

Regarding the theft of our 2 year old enclosed motorcycle trailer-- Today I received this email from USAA Insurance Company. Not only do they value the trailer at $0.0 dollars, they are requesting the registration, title, and documents. USAA came highly recommended. Now, I'm finding out otherwise. We have pictures, title, registration, etc. It was all on the police report that was submitted to the insurance company. I called today to speak to anyone who might be able to discuss the matter...Of course it's Sunday and nobody is in the office. So I started to question the biggest supervisor I could get ahold of and ask why they would send out news like this on a weekend and then not have anyone available to help out. She tapped danced all the way around the question. We keep trying to move forward from this fiasco...But, this insurance company keeps turning the knife just a little bit more with each day...They are treating this as three different claims. 1. Trailer- $500.00 deductable; 2. Contents- $500.00 deductable; 3. Motorcycles(2 ea)- $500.00 deductable each...So, my next favor to my riding friends is that you spread the word that USAA does not treat their veterans any better than any other insurance company out there. I did advise them that I would be copying and posting their letter to me in as many places as I could find. Friends, this is why we pay insurance premiums. To have that peace of mind that we'll be taken care of when things like this happen. Clearly, my trust has been breached...

Dear Mr. Lottman,
                            We’re writing to let you know that we’ve completed the evaluation of the market value of your
                            2014 FREEDOM 7X16.
                            Determining the Amount of Your Claim Payment
                            Before we can determine the amount of your claim payment, we must consider the actual cash
                            value of your vehicle, applicable sales and/or use tax and any transfer of ownership fees. Based on
                            a preliminary evaluation of your vehicle, the actual cash value is $0.0.
                            The actual cash value is the market value based on the following: vehicle year, make, model,
                            mileage, equipment, options, geographic location, recent upgrades, condition of your vehicle’s body
                            to include paint, glass, tires, interior, mechanical and prior unrelated damage.
                            How to Help Expedite Your Claim
                            Before issuing payment, we’ll need the following information and documents:
                            · The State in which your vehicle is titled if you hold your vehicle’s title.
                            · Lien holder name, phone number and account number if you’re making payments on your
                            vehicle.
                            · All original documents (vehicle power of attorney and/or vehicle title) completed and
                            returned to USAA, signed and, if applicable, notarized. These documents will transfer
                            ownership of the vehicle to USAA.

• Tm
                                tmushman Feb 01, 2016

call a PA= Public Adjuster they fight the insurance company for you.

USAAusaa checking & customer service

Earlier this month, I decided to switch my primary bank account to be USAA. Upon that decision, I closed my other checking account, and submitted for new direct deposit with my company. However, it was too late in the pay period, and instead of direct deposit, they gave me a payroll check. With the payroll check, they gave me my bonus check, both from Paylocity (a very large, easily verifiable payroll company.)

I went to deposit these checks in an ATM around 4:30pm on January 20th. When I got my deposit receipt, it noted that I would have $500.00 available for immediate use. Naturally, I scheduled a few bills that were due to be taken out the following day. When I went to look the following day, much to my surprise the $500.00 that had been available was also on hold, and that the entirety of the money would be on hold until February 2nd, which is 13 days, or 8 business days and completely unreasonable.

I contacted the bank to find out what was going on, and they said that sometimes the available amount changes (which doesn’t make much sense.) I spoke with a supervisor who said that any payments that had already gone through would not be reversed. I filed a grievance with USAA online, and waited for someone to contact me.

Over the weekend I checked on the account and, lo and behold, all of the bills that had been paid were reversed (including one for another USAA account) despite the Supervisor telling me they would not be reversed. USAA also charged me $15.00 for the account that the charges had been reversed on. Both ATT and Chase also charged return payment fees.

Finally, on January 25th a person from the CEO & Executive Staff Offices called me back. He barely discussed the fact that the funds were made available, and then the availability rescinded, AND the supervisor giving me incorrect information. Instead he said that he would “investigate” and that he would “hopefully” get back to me by week’s end, which would be the 29th – NINE days after the deposits were made. I told him that I needed these bills paid, and asked that he release the funds on February 1st, just ONE day sooner than the scheduled date. He was INCREDIBLY rude, and said that he could release the funds, but he wouldn’t because that would mean he has to do it for everyone. The man told me multiple times that he was as high as I was going to get in the company, and that no one else would help me. Basically he said he can help, but he won’t. He also hung up on me, and did not actually assist with my complaint.

I doubt that USAA will do the right thing and make the funds available within a reasonable timeline, or pay for the fees incurred due to their Supervisor giving out inaccurate information. That’s just the kind of company this is. As of now, nothing has been resolved.

USAA and George Hernandez — auto claims [protected]-1

October 2015 my Car was rear ended by one of your insured drivers, both cars totalled fault was your insured...

USAA Auto Insurance Co.auto insurance

In the last 18 months I have lost a $ 7200.00 classic truck due to semantics. Been threatened with cancellation 5 times due to presumed non-payment even though money was in my account to cover payment. I have been told I hadn't any auto rental reimbursement even I am paying for full coverage. To date this company has cost my family over $ 10, 000.00. I know their business actions are a scam and I entend on proving it.

USAA Auto Insurance Co. — filing medical treatment

On August, I was hit me an USAA member. She reared me while I was at a stoplight. I have dealing with...