USAA Home Insurancekeep raising rates and coverages

O

I bought my home in 2004 and paid $700.00 for a year of home insurance. 2005 paid $800.00. 2006 paid $850.00. 2007 paid $1100.00. 2008 paid $1150.00 and 2009 paid $1400.00. I have never filed a claim and always pay in full for the entire year. They have my property insured for $100, 000.00 over what my city taxes have it valued at this year. My premiums should of decreased this year instead of increased. I called them and they won't lower my coverage to what I had the previous years or what I want it to be. My neighbor pays $700.00 a year still with State Farm. Government needs to look at insurance companies for price gouging. I am a Retired Senior Chief and urge all brothers, sisters and military personnel to take a good hard look at your policy and compare it with your property taxes and see how much they are over charging you by shopping around. Also, Progressive always beats them on auto insurance quotes. We don't make that much in the military and even less when you retire, so USAA should not be taking advantage of any military vets. United we are heard, stand strong and can again make this company provide affordable and realistic rates, which is the reason it was started in the first place.

• Bo
    BOO USAA Jun 04, 2012

We have been with USAA Home insurance since my husband retired 6 years ago. Sad to say, but we are shopping around for better rates. USAA has raised our home owners policy for the past 3 years..reason...the state of Texas! That is what I was told. Oh, so now the State has the power to raise my insurance rates? BS. Goodbye USAA!!! Taking my home, 5 cars, and boat to a company who cares! --- We took our motorcylces off the coverage last year and are now saving over 700 a year! SHOP AROUND PEOPLE. USAA isn't for the military anymore.

• Sr
    Sr Sitizen Jun 03, 2011

Agree - After 35+ years auto insurance and 30 years home insurance I too switched. What am I paying home insurance for when deductable has gone to over $7, 000? State Farm offered $1000 deductable, but the new policy will be a $5500 hurricane deductable; so, here I go again. Now on to Liberty Mutual for the house and dumping USAA for the cars as well.

• Va
    vaguelyambiguous Mar 23, 2011

File a complaint with your states attorney general and insurance bureau. Your rates should be based on your fico and vantage scores as well as your driving history, and inflation. They should be able to explain their rates or how they calculate their rates, and if your quotes rates are higher than someone else with less than desirable records...file a discrimination lawsuit. Just make sure you have all the proof you need. I'm creating a blog to combat USAA's unethical business practices and will create a place just for this where we can help each other prove what we need to to win a lawsuit against USAA. I've had it with them myself. My Wife is an attorney and all of her friends in NYC are attorneys and they all say it's hard to fight an insurance company unless you have substantial ground to stand on. The only way, might be a class action law suit. Who's with me?

• On
    ONE PISSED OFF SENIOR CHIEF Mar 03, 2011

I am still looking for a less expensive home insurance company, so I can cancel my USAA Policy. I switched auto insurance from Progressive to Allstate, because they kept raising my rates just like USAA does, and I saved over $800.00 a year. Allstate is quoting me only $50.00 less than USAA on my yearly house insurance. I will check with State Farm and see what they are charging. Does anyone know of some reasonable home insurance companys?

• Do
    double B Mar 02, 2011

I've had the same experience with USAA, homeowners insurance increasing dramatically. I called USAA to get a quote with a fake name and my neighbors address (same size/age home) and was told that my rate would be significantly less than what they have raised mine to currently. So do I cancel my policy and just open a new one with USAA because they are doing this, I don't think so. This seems to be a trend with USAA, they bring you in with a reasonable rate then raise it substantially in hopes you wont notice or take the time/effort to change insurances. It's amazing they get away with it.

I switched to State Farm and received a reasonable rate and great coverage.

JOE55b Nov 08, 2010

I moved from Texas to Vegas and only have one car. I bought a cheapo car just to get to work (cost 3500) and USAA raised my 6 month premium by $400. I was pretty upset and told them that I had been loyal to USAA for the past 11 years and that it didn't seem fair since I have never filed a claim. Also, I haven't had any speeding or DUI infractions. My monthly payments were to jump from $119 to $180 (renters ins included). I called GEICO as soon as I hung up with USAA and now my premium for 2 cars is the same as to what I was paying USAA for 1 car..

• Fe
    FedupwithUSAA Mar 23, 2010

I agree. I bought my condo 4 years ago and was paying $600 / yr. My rates have kept increasing, and my policy renewal just arrived - I will be paying $1200 / yr now. How did it double in 4 years? My condo value has probably stayed the same and I've never had a claim on it. I also live in a city that hasn't had any earthquakes / hurricanes / wildfires / mudslides / landslides / tornadoes / tsunamis / anything else remotely dangerous to homes ecept for a bunch of snow every year.

• Ru
    RU Joking Mar 15, 2010

As of 2010, currently pay $670 and out of nowhere, USAA is raising my rate to almost $1100. they are saying because they are adjusting their rates because they haven't looked at it since 1999. They also said they have the square footage of my house as 1400 square feet. Now my house is 2400 square feet and I know I just filled out 2 questionaires regarding my home information... One on paper and another was done on the phone. So now they want to raise my rate from $670 to $1400. Might as well take my paycheck every week...NUTJOBS!

• Ca
    California Veteran Aug 12, 2009

I doubt if the "rebuild" costs for his home _doubled_ in 5 years, but clearly his insurance did. I don't know what's going on with USAA, but I've had it with them myself. I've been a member since the 60's. They clearly are gouging at virtually every level. Our home insurance has more than doubled with far less coverage. First they dropped the Earthquake coverage, then they dropped the Flood coverage, all the while jacking the rates. They increased our credit card rate by 50% this year (wife & myself both have credit scores above 800), and I just got our car insurance packet from them (USAA) for the upcoming 6 months that's jumping the rate by over 1/3 increase. Why? have cars gone up by over a third in the past six month? We've never had a ticket nor have we ever submitted a claim. When we bought our 2008 vehicle, I got a quote from USAA beforehand over the phone, then after the purchase they lied thru their teeth about what they had quoted me. Then they wouldn't allow me to increase our coverage because of a "freeze" due to the "Fires", until about a month after the purchase. We live in the desert along the AZ/CA border, the nearest fire was over 250 miles from us, but according to them my zip code indicated a county with fires, never mind that San Bernardino is the largest county in the country and those fires could not cross hundreds of miles of barren desert to us with even a tornado pushing it! They came real close to losing us then, but they paid 5 1/4% percent interest on our Savings Accounts then. I just read an article dated Aug 9, 2009 about insurance gouging in CA., where our Insurance Commissioner wants to stop insurance companies from basing their rates on zip codes instead of your driving record, and of course the companies are against that. The article also listed the top 5 insurers in CA based on the most paid out from what they take in, USAA was not on that list, but the article also included the list of the top 5 insurers who paid out the least from what they take in and USAA _is_ number 3 on that list.
    Plus, USAA has reduced our interest rates on our savings accounts to_less_ than 1%, or more than 80% reduction in the past year... and this is on $100, 000.00 accounts! Now there is no reason to stay with or put up with USAA any further. They will lose our insurance business by the end of this month, and I will continue to move our Savings Accounts to better pastures without the B.S. until none is left at USAA!!! They've already lost the business from my son (Vet/Captain in Gulf War) & his family, and now mine (Service Connected Disabled Viet Nam Vet)... but no doubt USAA will do just fine now that they've opened up their business to everyone. USAA is no longer USAA, Vets and active Service Personnel need to look around and compare! USAA may still talk the talk that they know what it means to serve, but their walk these days show that they are learning to gouge those that have!

• Re
    reallyrusure Jun 20, 2009

Shouldn't Home insurance rates raise annually. After all ist based on the market price to rebuild your home in case of destruction. I don't think you could do that for what the county asseses it at. I know my home is assesed at 80, 000 but fair market value even now is 130, 000 plus I wouldn't be able to rebuid for 80k. Plus If you have a mortgage or mortgages on the house your insurance should be more than that. Think about that when attempting to lower you coverage to what the tax records say you home is worth. As you said you don't make much as a retiree... you don't want to end up owing on a house that's been destroyed. Or if you have a paid off home having to reopen loans because it cost more to repair than it's insured for. What about a place like San Diego where taxes are based on sales price... a home built in the 50's could easily have sold for 20, 000 property taxes can go up 1% a year since then... ( don't make me do the math and amoritrize that out please) but for all intents and puropses lets say current property taxex have that home valued at 75k. At the height of the bubble a home like that would have cost 600, 000 and for 75k in San Diego you couldn't have built a garage.