United Furniture Industriesdefect in cuddler recliner?

1 Review updated:

I got an "ashley" sofa and loveseat at big lots 3 years ago which i thought was actually made by "ashley" but if you read the fine print (Which i discovered today) it is actually made under license *from* ashley and is made *by* united furniture industries. This was the biggest piece of crap living room suit that i've ever seen. After 1 year of use the microfiber was looking worn. Plus the springs on the couch let loose on 1 end after i got on my knees to look out the window. Not too soon after the spring incident, my 9 year old daughter climbed up onto the love seat to open the mini blinds and we heard a cracking noise. Sure enough, the spring had let loose on the love seat as well !!! Not to mention that in the store the couch was all nice and fluffy feeling but the materials did not hold their "fluff" and the arms on the couch quickly went flat. I paid 600. 00 for the set on sale.

The way i found out about the "made under license" deal was that i saw a simmons sofa and loveseat set at big lots today and decided to do my "homework". I researched the net and found the disclaimer on big lots website "fabric by simmons. Made under license from simmons by united furniture industries".

This furniture is c - r - a - p and furthermore, i will never ever buy furniture of any kind at big lots again. It may seem like a good deal but when you figure in that it's only gonna last 1 year, the deal isn't so great !!!

My parents bought a lazy boy set 5 years ago and it still looks and functions just as good as the day they brought it home. They paid 2000. 00 for 2 recliners and a sofa that reclines but it has lasted !

• Updated by Race28 · Oct 30, 2017

Can't unlock the foot rest from under chair the release handle is plastic and breaks very easily

• Ri
    Richard Isenberg Jun 26, 2019

several years ago I purchased a recliner chair for my wife. The Electric units quit, Boscoves sent repairman who temp. fixed it, but did't have the part. I year later it was fixed. This last year it went bad and a steel bar which held the electric motor broke in half. Boscovs told me it was out of warranty. My wife who gets around poorly loved the chair, but can't use it. please give me a new one or a discount for a new one. Please send this note to whomever cares. thanks Richare Isenberg 2 Jo Ann Lane Milton, Pa [protected]

• Am
    amcquade120 Nov 14, 2018

Purchased our Sectional and Oversized Recliner and the "leather" is peeling. It gets all over everything, people and floor. It is embarrassing to say the least when we have company. Is there any class actions or refunds or solutions to this issue?

Comments

• Ra
    Race28 Sep 06, 2018

Plastic handle is not strong enough to support the leverage to open foot in chair

• Sp
    sparky5 Jul 26, 2017

On 7-8-2017 We purchased a recliner from Big Lots here in Louisville, Ky at the Dixie Hwy store and we are not very happy with the way it sits on the floor. Its very low the floor, the arms have no padding to them and the mechanism very hard to pull the recliner out. My wife is short and she just does have the strength to pull it open. This a very poor example of a recliner' What can you do to recktifie this problem. I really would appreciate anything you could do for us The recliner is all back and no seat and as I said very low to the floor. Thank You and I hope we can solve this. Arthur Arachikavitz

JOHND63 Nov 27, 2016

I keep writing and calling Simmons which is as you say is United Furniture Industries about my broken Simmons Bently Recliner that is less than 6 Months ols but do not get a answer of any kind back and I do not think they realize the drastic Importance of this matter ! I am a retired 63 old man that due to injuries and other ailments cannot sleep in a bed and have to sleep in a recliner this is my bed. I cannot afford to purchase another recliner as I have only had this one about 6 months and I thought this chair with its being one of the best would last me a lifetime ! The front part of the bottom of the chair/Recliner collapsed and its killing me my back is hurting and I cannot sleep ! I do not know what to do next except maybe contact Sears and complain or go to the Federal Trade Commission or and the Better Business Bureau maybe the courts but I need this matter resolved this is not my fault ! It is a faulty Product and the Warranty should make it right ! I even called but they never return my calls! Doees anybody have any suggestions or had any results from these people? Wish I had bought a Lazy Boy !!

mamarob Nov 19, 2016

We purchased two recliners at Carolina Furniture in January 2014. We have no children in the house so the recliner was not abused but one of the springs in the foot mechanism broke and now the footrest stays up. Our paperwork says recliner/motion mechanisms are covered for 5 years. Anyone know how to get this fixed? It looks like the spring broke,

• Ha
    Happy45 Jun 25, 2015

I purchased a couch and loveseat manufactured by United Furniture Industries Inc. It arrived damaged and defective. I filed a BBB Complaint. Anyone interested in getting legal help. Please contact me and maybe we can all get help legally.

• Sy
    Sydni Jun 09, 2015

I purchased a 3 pc sectional from Mega Furniture, a local store where I live. Fours months after the purchase, we started to experience problems with the wiring which controlled the recliners. We went back to the store and requested an exchange for our power sectional for a manual set. We wanted to get away from the power models knowing if they had wiring issues once, it would happen again. We didn't even expect any money back. The manager told us they could not do anything for us! I was livid! Our warranty hadn't expired, they just flat out refused to do anything.

• Je
    Jennyloo May 07, 2015

In Oct 2014 I purchased a reclining sofa from Big Lots in Middletown, NJ. After about 3 months the right footrest was bent, the the zipper on the left footrest broke and all the stuffing fell out. Now the material is shredding on the footrests. I will never purchase furniture from United Furniture again. There is no way to contact the company about the warrantee.

Sarah Yo Apr 26, 2015

I purchased the reclining love seat and sofa set in December of, the week of Christmas to be exact. The first week in January the foot rest on the left side of the love seat broke. We returned the love seat to Big Lots and they replaced it with the same love seat. Not even 3 days later the same side of the love seat broke again, and now the back of the right side is breaking, we paid $1500 for a set of junk!!! I did not realize that the furniture was not made by simmons until just now when looking up the name of the set this United furniture came up. Well, all I have to say is they make junk!!!

• Es
    E. Serritella Mar 21, 2015

Purchased Bonded Leather Electric Recliners from Carolina Factory Outlet Hudson, FL. 01-16-2010 Just after 12 mos. we noticed bubbling of the surface, cracking the the peeling began all 4 chairs. Only this week I saw a story o ABC Action News that Kane's Furniture Corp had to sue United Furn. to pay claims to all their disatisfied customers. BBB has confirmed issues. I am not sure how to approach this as I knew we were ripped off a few years ago. But left issues, knowing they would give us BS excuses. Obviously we were't the only ones robbed.

• Sj
    sjirons Jan 20, 2015

Feb 16, 2012 I bought this beautiful red sectional from Badcock's. I declined the warranty because it is bonded leather. Within the last couple of months I have noticed that the place where I set all the time is peeling. So I called Badcock 's and I knew that they would probably not do anything because I did not buy their extended warranty. So I took matters into my own hands and I got the date that I purchased this sectional and I flipped over my sectional to get the furniture company's name. At first I was told Simmons Furniture but to my dismay it was actually United Furniture out of Okolona, MS (RIP OFF)... Anyway I go on line to find a phone number and I call these people - it goes to operator and then customer service and the lady is ready with her story. It only has a 1 year covering warranty!!! so I say what am I suppose to do with it now - she said I am sorry! So here I am with a red leather sectional that is peeling and I paid with tax almost $1, 000.00... got a good deal for anyone that likes fabric that peels and has a white look under the red!!! Please pass the word around that United Furniture and Simmons Furniture are both a RIP OFF if you are buying furniture from them!!!

• Bj
    bjm... Nov 16, 2014

Come on people think, when you buy junkie furniture from United Furniture or Big Lots don't expect it to last for more than a couple of years. Don't buy Bonded leather furniture. Buy 100% leather furniture(Flexsteel furniture) which will cost between $1500 to $3000, not $300 or so, like at Big Lots. Like the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

• Dw
    Dwayne A. Oct 11, 2014

I ran into the same problem with a bonded leather sectional sofa. The finish started peeling at about 2 years and, of course, the warranty had expired at one year. I took photos of it to the store where I bought it (Grand Home Furnishings, a Virginia-based chain). The store manager emailed my photos to United Furniture Industries and within fifteen minutes we were offered a 100% credit toward replacement with the same item, or a 50% credit toward a different selection. Needless to say, we chose something else entirely, from a different manufacturer. I did not attempt to contact United Furniture Industries myself and I cannot attest to how any other furniture businesses, or Big Lots, would handle this, but Grand Home Furnishings truly came through for me in reconciling my problem. They have earned my continued trust and my future business. I will not, however, purchase anything built by United Furniture Industries again.

• Vi
    vicktore Oct 08, 2014

We purchased a sofa and love seat for $1, 021.00 from BOB'S Discount Furniture store in saugus Ma and experience the same problems as we are reading. This has been the worst furniture that I have ever purchased. In less than two years, it began peeling. It is very ugly now. For items as expensive as furniture, there should be a better warranty. i purchase from them the goof proof 5 years furniture protection plan true GUARDMAN WHE I CALL they make you wait and then the answering machine prompt you to a mesage saying they will call you back in 48 hours ...every one give you the run round around. they take you money and sale you bad quality furniture
    Please Dont bay furniture from this company its of bad quality

• Ca
    Carl Bartholomew Oct 06, 2014

I purchased a sofa, fake leather, from A local furniture store in New Haven, Indiana. The store was having a special moving sale (they moved across the street), and they had this really nice looking sofa on almost 50% off sale, so I purchased in Dec 2011, and received in my home in January 2012, loved it., Then within 8-9 months, the seats began sagging very badly, the springs broke. I checked with the retailer, he told me there was no warranty. So I put up with it for a while telling everyone to sit at other end of couch. Later went to have it repaired, the guy told me to check with retailer to see if it was under warranty. The retailers person again told me not warranty. the repair man will get the couch back, says he can fix springs, but what a piece of junk with Simmons name on it.

• Kk
    k. kell Oct 04, 2014

Bought some of their famous "Simmons" bonded leather. We were assured this new stuff would stand the test of time. 3 years in, and it's peeling off. What gets me (among other things) is that we were shown a thick swatch of this material to prove it was "good and sturdy" and the stuff flaking off is much thinner than what we were shown. We have 2 or 3inch sized flakes that come off when you get near it. I would say it's paper thin, but it's more like wet paper thin. To make matters worse we're not getting anyone taking responsibility for this. I've had much less expensive furniture last far longer. I'm very disappointed, and I'll tell my story about my experience with United Furniture and Simmons bonded leather on every media outlet I have access to. And we didn't get this at Big Los, but a better furniture store "Bailey's" in Fairbanks, Alaska. At least some of y'all only paid $600 for this crap.

• Ho
    hope70963 Jul 21, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience and the heads up. I have copied it and reposted it on Facebook and asked that my 545 friends share it, as well to put the word out about this awful experience and your advice.

• Dm
    Dmd100 Jun 07, 2014

After three years my bonded leather sectional is peeling. Probably would have started earlier but it doesn't get much use. I even bought an extended warranty to protect my investment which is useless because the furniture stores were probably aware of this issue because their warranty covers something like a pen stabbing through the leather but doesn't cover what they called a " manufactures defect". I sent a consumer protection letter to UF, hope they do right by customers. If not I will sue, this is unfair and deceptive.

• To
    Torrent2006 Feb 19, 2014

We purchased 2 recliners and 1 sofa made by United Furniture Industries we wholeheartedly AGREE with the above reviews14 months after purchasing the furniture it stared to peel and the cushions on the couch do not hold up after 8 months. We were so disappointed we thought we were getting real leather NOT the case. This was a big purchase for us right at $2000. I do not recommend purchasing anything from this company.

• Iw
    I Wolfson Feb 16, 2014

My reclining love seat broke after only 3 months of use. UFI insists that I SHOULD PAY for shipping of parts and repair which wil cost almost as much as i paid for my new recliner even though the reclining mechanism is supposed to be guaranteed for FIVE years! IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN STARTING A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINT THIS COM PANY CONTACT ME!!! THEY DESERVE IT!!! WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!

• Sh
    sherl38 Dec 03, 2013

the problem is because you guys are buying it from big lots and cheap united furniture. United furniture is the bottom of the line, worse than Ashley. Save your money, buy quality and quit being so cheap. You get what you pay for!

• Un
    unsatifised customer Oct 28, 2013

We also have a rocker recliner we bought from Big Lots! It is not quite 2 yrs old and already the spring broke that holds the foot rest down so now every time you sit in the chair when you get up the footrest stays up. Very aggravated with it. My husband is the only one that has ever sat in it so I know it wasn't mistreated or misused.

• Ta
    Tamtum Oct 20, 2013

The United cuddled recliner is not of very good quality. Had my chair for less than 3 years and the top leather look finish is peeling off daily. It has just started on the seating surface as well. Very disappointed in ths piece of so called furniture. I'll never buy another United/Simmons product. My chair has only been sat in by adults and well taken care of but poor quality is the problem.

• 37
    37boo&boosangel Oct 19, 2013

We purchased a sofa and love seat for $2, 055 from a reputable family owned furniture store and experience the same problems as we are reading. Shortly after we made the purchase the family owned furniture company, went out-of-business. This has been the worst furniture that I have ever purchased. In less than two years, it began peeling. It is very ugly now. It has pieces continually falling from the furniture--pieces fall onto the floor, stick to our skin and clothes. We take care of our belongings and expect them to last. Every time someone visits us, I am very embarrassed about the furniture. For items as expensive as furniture, there should be a better warranty. Who has money to just get another one every year or two. We have been ripped off! ---- now the better half has spoken, its my turn. i"d be plum happy just to have a mud bucket to sit on, but my wife likes better than that so i want better for my wife. her disappointment bothers me. (live by the assembly line, die by the assembly line) hard to find real craftsmanship anywhere anymore!! by. just sitting on the mess.

• Ge
    gene315 Mar 05, 2013

First I must say that Big Lots in the central PA area has been very patient through this never ending process. Second, I will never ever ever buy anything affiliated with United Furniture Industries. My wife was generous enough to buy a Simmons Harbor Town Cuddle Up recliner for me for Christmas, Dec 12th 2012, after a week Dec 19th, I removed the cover, we cover all our new furniture, to find a huge gap where the back mounts to the bottom, returned to Big Lots first time, exchanged no issues! Mind you we exchanged a black leather for the micro fiber material as they had no leather in stock. no big deal. Feb 27 2013, removed cover to wash, now the seating area was completely crushed, wife now furious, call Big Lots, Happy to help, returned 2nd time, exchanged for black leather, back where we started, happy new chair owners. March 5th 2013, , a week later recliner making rubbing sound when fully reclined, hard to get from reclined position back to seated upright position. Called Big Lots, no problem, Bring it back we will exchange it. Now while this may seem unimportant I would like to point out, each time it was a different issue, defective assembly, poor material performance, defective mechanism, also each chair was built to different standards, we would not have know this had we not exchanged it 4 times now, either they are more or less firm, easy or hard to operate, some more or less comfortable than the others. In my opinion there is no consistency, poor wormanship, poor material, and from reading the full warranty card, poor warranty service, it covers basically nothing unless the store where you purchase it is willing to accomondate you. You either pay out of pocket for installation or do it yourself, I again applaude Big Lots for their excellence in customer service but really how long can this keep going, I am sure the will wise up and discontinue carrying the item making it necessary to at some point either donate it or repair it. Shame on United Furniture Industries, I will keep buying locally but will be more careful and will read deeper into the actual coverage and how the warranty works. Definetly keep your receipt and purchase on credit. I am in the process of filing a complaint with Citi to get reimbursed for this nightmare purchase. Maybe they can get better response from United when they ring thier phone or email them!

• Di
    Disgustedforsure! Feb 06, 2013

Im so disgusted!!! We bought a big man recliner (simmons/united furniture) from big lots and after a few months it "clicked and made funny noises when we rocked. The footrest wont stay in and takes practilly a gymnast to correctly close and stay closed. We turned it over it only had 1 spring on one side, so we figured it was missing a spring. We bought another spring and just 2 months after that the mechanism that keps the chair balanced or moving forward or backward broke and it is completely SHOT!!!
    ive e-mailed United furniture, but no reply!!!

• Tr
    truckdriverdave52 Jan 21, 2013

I have Champion tan cuddler recliner which I bought at Big Lots and the steel rods that reclines and to balances the recliner both broke at the same time recliner is only 2 years old please sent replacement parts or new recliner thank you e-mail address [email protected] or call at [protected] thank you Cindy Or dave

• Pi
    pissedoffbuddy Dec 09, 2012

whats the 5 year manufacture warranty if there is no one to get a hold of same problem here my leg rest got bent b my 2 year old weighs 20 pounds... now it wont return upright

• Th
    thatnameisalreadytaken Nov 30, 2012

Bonded leather may look pretty at first, but go look at a bonded leather Bible, mine is peeling, which I can deal with just fine, but I will never buy bonded leather furniture, because I could NOT deal with that.

• We purchased the couch, love seat and recliner made with bonded leather by United Furniture Industries from Big Lots. We had the set for 18 months, keep in mind the warranty is 12 months. The bonded leather on the couch and recliner is peeling. It looks awful. So basically their products last just past the warranty date then falls apart. We researched their site before purchasing and this is what they promise on their website:

Living Room Furniture Sets Designed with Style and Value in Mind

At United Furniture Industries/ Simmons Upholstery, we promise to provide our dealer, retail partner and the consumer with the very best bonded leather and upholstery fabric recliners models, sofas, ottomans and living room furniture designs. Every single bonded leather or upholstery fabric recliner or sofa we design is created by an experienced and talented furniture manufacturer that focuses not only on style but value as well. We work tirelessly to produce quality handcrafted living room furniture that meets the demands of trendsetting customers seeking styles and designs that are tailored to their tastes.

Each bonded leather or upholstery fabric recliner or living room set is constructed of high – quality fabrics and materials that will withstand the test of time. Our product line is comprehensive and so is our commitment to deliver exactly what our customers expect.

Just a note that I have contacted Big Lots and United Furniture Industries and they both have wiped their hands clear. So much for customer service and as for the "quality statement" from their website, that was a lie too. They promised high quality fabrics and materials that withstand the test of time. I guess the test of time is 18 months. Lesson learned. We will never buy from this company again. Now we have to plan to purchase a new living room set and it will have to be the set because we can't match the loveseat to anything and we are afraid that it will start peeling soon or we pay someone to come out, sand out the problem areas and repair which will cost approximately $400 - $500 dollars. Do you repair because you hate to waste the money you have invested, that you thought would last at least 3 - 5 years or just trash it and start fresh?

• Mu
    musicdude May 16, 2012

In about 18 months the leather like material started to crack. Called them up and they said it was possible sweat. should wipe it daily!?! I have a chair beside it and is over 8 years old. Leather bonding same as they claim. And it NOT doing what theirs is doing. Bought this 8 year old chair at Odd Lots. Still looks pretty good and fantastic compared to the cuddler. When you spend 350-400 on a chair and have problems as this and those above? They should be sued. No if or and about it!!

• K2
    k21250 Aug 17, 2011

My cuddler recliner's foot rest won't go down! It was always really hard to put down but now its stuck out! I can't get any help in even beginning to fix it! Any suggestions??

• Fr
    frame_builder1980 Aug 06, 2011

I work for united furniture. As far as being an employee, this is the worse company i have ever worked for. The management has no problem letting you know that you are no more than a number. The benefits are the highest and worse i have ever had. The quality you got is equal to how the employees are treated. When the owner, Mr. George, walks through, he only aclnowledges the employees when somethin is wrong. And then he talks and treats them so badly, the employee is close to quittin. And in this job market.

• Da
    Danny12345 Jun 15, 2011

United Furniture is a 'PROMOTIONAL' furniture line, which means they make their product to hit a price point. (ie. You get what you pay for.) United sells their product to retailers at a wholesale price, and the retailer can price it for as high or as low as they see fit. In the age of technology, the internet can be a great friend when deciding whether a price is fair or not. The 'leather' goods available by United are not 100% leather, and no retailer should claim that it is. It is what is called 'Bonded Leather' (You can look that up and get a true definition of it.) Learn what to look for when buying furniture, learn the questions to ask. What type of wood is used is a very important question to know how long a piece should last... FYI as far as fabrics/leathers many vendors only warranty those for 1 year no matter how cheap or expensive the price. (Many of the fabrics/leathers/parts on American made products are actually produced overseas, shipped in, and assembled in America.)

John S. Kelly May 12, 2011

I can only wish you well. Not quite three years ago, I bought a recliner made by United Furniture Industries from their dealer in this city. After fourteen months, I noticed that the finish was flaking off of the leather. When I saw the dealer about it, he told me that the warranty lasted only twelve months and that there was nothing that he could (or would) do about it. He then went on to tell me that the leather was "painted, " not stained. I kept the recliner for another few months. As its appearance continued to deteriorate, I made a point of telling my guests who made it and where I bought it. Finally, I could not stand having something as shoddy as that in my house any longer and I decided to replace it. Goodwill actually refused to take it!!! There could be no better testament to United Furniture Industries and their dealers than that. For what it is worth, this company and their dealer in this city both have a rating of "F" with the BBB.

• Al
    alphaking May 12, 2011

I have a cuddler my handle just broke today 5-12=11 after seeing this site I fix it myself by taking a 3 inch c clamp and tightening it down to the end of the cable as tight as I could then break the bar you tighten with off I hope this helps someone

• Sh
    sher_bear_30 Apr 08, 2011

We bought the recliner from Big Lots about year and half ago. The handle broke on ours also. I agree on the automated hell. First tried to look for replacement parts for that specific chair but no such luck. Found a website that does replacement parts for those types of recliners. It is http://www.jmupholstery.us for $29.99. Trying to see what Big Lots says but will probably buy from the website.

• Ri
    Rick,Pa Apr 05, 2011

I also got the cuddler at big lots, the parachute handle broke off in 12 months, trying to get a replacement contacted Omega-Motion, maker of mechanism have heard nothing back, found a site that sells parts, crap shoot if it's the wrong one.

• Ta
    takishamb Sep 02, 2010

I purchase some Leather furniture made by United Furniture Industries from Art Van in Flint, MI about 5 years ago. Well, two years after I purchased the furniture, the furniture started pealing and the spring on one of the sofas gave way! Of course, you know the warranty was expired. I contacted the place where I bought the furniture from, and they wanted to charge me $50 per hour to look at the furniture. I do not recommend anyone buying the furniture from this company. I thought they I would be a life long customer, but not anymore!!!