Having problems with TruGreen?

TruGreen reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jun 11, 2007. The latest review lawn care was posted on Jun 17, 2021. The latest complaint Yard care was resolved on Mar 05, 2020. TruGreen has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 167 reviews. TruGreen has resolved 52 complaints.

TruGreen Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 464 0171 (New Service)
+1 800 458 4186 (Customer Service)
+1 401 732 6883 (Head Office)
860 Ridge Lake Boulevard
Memphis, Tennessee

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with TruGreen Customer Service. Initial TruGreen complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for TruGreen above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about TruGreen. Discuss the issues you have had with TruGreen and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

TruGreen Complaints & Reviews

TruGreen — billing

Last summer, 2009, I prepaid in full for services from a local lawn care service provider. TRUGREEN bought...

TruGreenterrible management

My first year with trugreen satisfied due to the good field agent. There are good techs out there, but this is the luck of the draw. However second year has been ridculous! Lucky didn't sign a contract, after no one showed up after being reassured for over 4 weeks by manager area named drew, demanded service in spring and found out from other sources they had no one for my area and so they send out a guy who stops at 7am, waking everyone, since he needn't to do it on the way to his area. Poor guy, why couldn't the manager be honest and say we don't have a tech for you. Alright, still patient, need to seed bad, need new sod planted from last year to get fertilizer, keep calling only to have the most void of personality, manager drew, tell me someone will be out. Ok. Now past the time for the preemergence second treatment due to heat, no - sorry for your inconvenience ever came out of that boys mouth. He needs to go to some "how to deal with people" seminar. I get happier and more affable people at the walmart store than this guy.

Well, still no one, thought I should have to call and track people down every time the grass needs it's treatment, now I have a yard that is two different colors since the timing for the treatments is so off. No one calls you like they promise since I have two dogs I need to worry about, maybe this drew is so tired of hearing complaints he just takes this blanked out attitude. I thought I was patient enough, calling every week, being nice to continue but just canceled yesterday since hubby was right and said if they want your business they should be calling you. Called scotts and they were out in a heartbeat, actually talked to me rather than scribble something on a slip of paper that I never could read. What ever you do don't sign a contract, in the long run, if you get this treatment you want to walk away without losing money since I am sure they would hold up and take their good old time giving me anything back since drew seems to like cricket land. I did want to mention that last year I guess when they had someone fill in near then end since I must have lost my originally tech then, I have security cameras, and watching back the tape see the guy spending more time trying to find a place to pee way in the back yard then he did fertilize. He didn't even get 1/3 of the property just ignoring it and getting back into the truck. Thank goodness he left his coffee cup for me to throw away. Research your area guys before committing, and don't be as patient hoping they would change as I did.

TruGreengood product, terrible service

They worked wonders for my yard, i just said no when they would try to sell me additional products and features. The problem I had is that they burned up a few areas in my yard when putting down fertilizer. They sprayed to much in one area. This happened in July, so they came out acknowledged it was their fault and said that they would seed at the middle to end of August, so I waited until the first of Sept. and called and they said they would be out in the next day or two, they would never show up, so this happened 5 or 6 times over the next month. They finally seeded in the middle of October and the seed didn't have time to come in before an early frost. So I told them about it, they said they would come back in the spring and seed, so then they came out and put down the first treatment which kills weeds and won't allow seeds to germinate. So they said I would have to wait until the fall. At that point I cancelled because I pay them $75 a month to have a nice yard and for 7 months had to deal with dead spots from where they killed it. Again their product is great, it did wonders for my yard. I question all of the treatments, I think I would probably get the same results with 4 treatments compared to the 7 but it worked. I was with them for 3 years and it went from the worst yard in the neighborhood to the best but I won't be treated like they were treating me so I am trying another company now.

Tru-GreenNot even a Tru-Green customer

We are not even Tru-Green customers...our neighbors are. We came home one day to a blue dog. Now, I am sure that he was barking at the Tru-Green guy, but the dog was covered snout to tail in blue (we have pictures). When we called the company to complain and explain that the actual property line is about 15 feet from the chain link fence, they told us that it must have been a result of wind carrying the overspray. We spoke to multiple managers who assured us that the dog was not intentionally sprayed.
      They can never seem to stop spraying where the grass ends. It is constantly all over the sidewalk. Our 16 month old son was playing on the sidewalk and got some of the chemical on a toy. He of course put it in his mouth as I made a mad dive to get it away from him.
      We immeidately called Tru Green to try to determine what he had just ingested. After 45 minutes of being transferred, insulted, and put on hold by their service reps we were finally told it was "just fertilizer". I was begging, pleading, cursing and crying to get the information. They would not tell us what it was because we were not the customer. (Poison control could not advise us what to do without knowing the substance and compound) On the third call to Tru-Green we finally got someone that was willing to help. My son was fine, but I am convinced that a company that does not care about were they spray their chemicals, will not give away "proprietary" information in a potentially life altering situation and is just plain rude is not worth paying for.
      We were promised a call back from the local manager and a corporate manager and by no surprise, have yet to receive one.
      Besides that, the neighbors yard does not look that good. They have all sorts of weeds and dead spots.

TruGreenharrasment after cancelling service

After 1 year with maginal results I decided that did not want to renew my service with Trugreen. That started the telephone harrasment campaign. Starting last August I started getting 2-4 calls a week from Trugreen. After telling them to take me off of their call list the calls became more frequent. I currntly recieve weekly correspondence from the general manager Nick Makris to come back and "they miss my lawn" A Trugreen rep even knocked on my door on saturday for a lawn analysis (he got an earfull). PLEASE avoid this scam and the slime that runs the company, no one deserves the treatment that I have recieved..

• Ha
            hardup Apr 05, 2011

I also received harrassing phone calls. Then they just came out and treated my lawn without permission. Now they sent me a bill and expect me to pay it. Before I do that I will notify the Better Buisness Bureau. What a scam! I did not renew my subscription and they said I didnt have a confirmation number. WHAT A SCAM!

• Ke
            kevinmcl77 Mar 29, 2011

I have had a simualar experience. I canceled then thats when my calls started. They offed free servive and a discount so I stayed as a costomer. My lawn never improved weeds got worse, I called to cancel again and a few day later the manager called to see why I cancled. I told them my story but they could not take a hint I ended up having to hang up on them. The very next day the service man called saying he he me sceduled for tomorrow. I told him you do all service you want but you will not be paid for anything anymore. So now I will wait for the another call tomarrow. They call at all hours of the day and night distubing my whole whole family waking my newborn. This company is a Joke, you are bdetter off going to Home Depot and doing it yourself

• Lu
            LuluS. Aug 13, 2010

TruGreen continues to call me 2x a day. I ignore their calls.

They started calling me BEFORE my bill was due telling me my bill was due. I tried to log onto their website to pay my bill and it was so difficuylt to create an account so that I could PAY MY BILL, that I gave up and called to cancel the whole service. The rep on the phone couldn't believe I would cancel my lawn service over a website - and I toild her it was between that and the harrassing phone calls I get first thing in the morning, at night when I'm putting my kid to bed...I just didn't like the way the company operated and wasn't going to spend my money there. Period.

Now that my service is cancelled, they still call, after numerous requests to stop calling me. I'm ready to report them!

TruGreen — do not trust this company

Beware of doing business with this company. Do NOT trust them. I signed up with Trugreen on 8/18/09 and have...

TruGreen — unauthorized services

My husband and I had an agreement with Trugreen in 2009. At the end of the summer, we chose not to renew...

TruGreentrugreen killed my lawn

Trugreen does not honor their warranty. Trugreen has rude customer support. Trugreen has very bad products that do not work. Trugreen is a ripoff.

Do yourself a favor and review the other reviews of trugreen. These are bad people. My lawn actually turned yellow. It was like they were intentionally trying to kill my lawn. I don't know if the product was out of code or what was going on but I can tell you that nothing - nothing - nothing they did worked.

Weeds grew, grubs appeared and my grass turned yellow. They ignored their guarantee and were rude.

Now I am in collections with a yellow lawn. These are bad people. Trugreen sucks.

Bryan DiFatta Mar 17, 2011

If trugreen chemlawn spent more time in treating lawns instead spending more time in Court about personal Custody and Visitation cases, they just may get the job done...but that will never happen because they just do not know how to mine their own buisness at least here in the Baltimore area that is. I advise not to use this company, its a rip off just like the other thousands of complaints that have been posted against trugreen. Go to Home depot or Lowes and use only Scotts products that do the best job on your lawn, and its easy to apply not to mention it did it yourself..The grass is always greener on the other side when you do the job yourself...

• Si
              sigmadirk69 Mar 01, 2011

Yea with a company that large there is always going to be problems but a lot of the time when it comes to the final end product, its usually the customer who never waters his lawn or cuts his grass too short that complains. A lotta folks go about canceling the wrong way and people expect miracles for 36 dollars an application on a 20, 000 square foot lawn. Too many unrealistic expections for the cheapest price. The best bet is to pre-pay, get the sales rep's personal cell phone and work straight through him one on one. mine took care of me great, no issues for 10 years. Goodluck everyone.

• Dj
              djinflorida Feb 03, 2011

I used Trugreen for almost ten years and finally cancelled last week because their service has deteriorated to the point that it is a waste of money. At least six of my neighbors are also former Trugreen customers. When I got up this morning, there was a message on my answering machine from a guy who said he was calling from the Corporate Customer Care Division. He left a number for me to call him back, and it wasn't even an 800 number. I hope he's not holding his breath!

Brandy Brady Oct 27, 2010

TruGreen should be called no green rip off lawn care. Stay away. Read the reviews. These crooks must be shut down.

They destroyed my lawn. They don't care. They expect 75 percent of their customers to leave every year. They replace them with new victims.

Please post if you've been one of the trugreen victims. Bad bad people.

Bryan DiFatta Oct 14, 2010

I can't even begin to tell you about how I feel about the Chemlawn here in Baltimore. They are total [censor]'s

• Er
              ernie capobianco Nov 23, 2009

Trugreen killed my lawn. I tried so hard to help them get it right. My lawn actually turned yellow. I have more weeds than ever before. The customer service is rude. They did not back their guaranty - 100% satisfaction. They refused to provide credit. They kept coming out and kept billing. I canceled but they came out again and billed me.

This is a bad company with a ton of complaints out there. I wish I read these complaints before I asked them for a "free" consultation.

I can't stress how bad these people are. Stay away. Your lawn will thank you.

Ernie Capobianco - Dallas TX

TruGreenpoor customer service

In my book customer service is everything. I was called by Tru Green and asked if I'd like a lime treatment on my yard for the winter. I said yes and also told him I was concerned about still having so many weeds in the yard after having their service for 2.5 years now. He told me they would do a service call "FREE OF CHARGE" and they'd wait until the end of Nov. to do the lime treatment since I just had a pre emergent treatment a few weeks prior. Two days later there is a bill on my front door saying they did a *** control and fertilizer. I called about that and Bonnie in the office who LOVES to hear herself talk and not even try to listen to the customer (constantly interrupting you) gives me the run around about how this was a lime treatment. and that i have weeds because of the rain we've gotten recently. I was told on the phone that this service call would be FREE OF CHARGE and then received a bill and got the run around by some crazy lady in the office who has NO FREAKING clue whats going on. I finally just hung up on her since I couldn't get a word in. called back later and got a very nice lady named Melissa and asked her to cancel my service. I work hard for my money and I don't mind paying for a service if it's a good service. Bad customer service will not be tolerated and I will not pay for that kind of service.

TruGreendeceptive selling practice

In June a door knocker sold me on TG service to take care of my Crabgrass and Clover. He told me they would take care of it. Having received no noticeable decrease in either ***, I canceled the service. Their guarantee said that they would refund the last bill if I was not happy.

I have received several phone calls from them and told them each time that I was not happy and would not be paying the final bill for treatment ($23.40). They told me that their guarantee was only if I had taken the service for 6 months. Each time I was called about the bill, they said that they would have a manager call me back. They never did. They are now threatening to send me to a collections agency.

I have had their people tell me that, in order to be effective, I would have had to have started the service in March or April when they would have put down a *** barrier. They said that even if I had purchased the treatment at Home Depot, it would have taken 5 applications for the weeds to be controlled. The point is that I didn't research *** control at Home Depot, I signed up at my front door when they told me they could take care of the problem. If they had told me from the start that I wouldn't see anything unless I had a barrier treatment in March, that's when I would have started the service.

Its all about expectations. They set some and then failed to meet them. Their selling practices are deceptive. I would suggest that you follow their suggestion and go to Home Depot. Hopefully the manufacturers of the lawn treatments they sell there are honest in their product descriptions. And HD, Lowes, Ace and others will most likely stand behind their consumers if the Mfgs aren't honest.

TruGreencharged me for lawn treatment after cancellation, refuses to credit account

I sold my house at 3950 Clinard Ave, Winston-Salem, NC with the closing occurring in early June 2009.

TruGreen performed a lawn treatment at my home in early June as I forgot to cancel my service. However, I did pay for that treatment, and at the time of payment I also contacted your office and requested that all future treatments be cancelled as I had sold the house and was moving to Texas.

However, I have since been receiving statements showing $46.00 owed for an application on my lawn that TruGreen did on 7/16/09 (invoice 350590), which was long after my phone call informing their office of cancellation.

When I received the first statement informing me of this charge, I contacted your office reminding them that I cancelled and should not have been charged for new service. They apologized and said someone else, who was out of town, would have to approve it. I called again two weeks later to make sure it had been taken care of, and it still not had been done at that time. Finally, I called again on September 28, 2009 and a manager, Lee called me back that afternoon, when I explained what had happened. After speaking to Lee, who agreed the amount should be credited back, I faxed a follow-up letter to him that same day confirming the facts detailed here which he and I spoke about.

A couple of days after my conversation with Lee, another employee, a female in their office, called me to follow-up and told me it would be taken care of.

It is now October 21, 2009, and my account has still not been credited for the charge of $46.00, as evidenced by a statement I just received in the mail just a few days ago showing the same charge.

• Bj
                    bjsw5816 Mar 07, 2010

I can totally relate to JacRo1's situation. I was called by a TruGreen associate to schedule an aeration/seeding service in Sept. 2009. I told him I needed to cancel the service due to construction going on in my yard, among other reasons. We hung up and I thought that was the end of it. However, I came home from work a few weeks later and found that the service had been done! When I refused to pay for the cancelled service, they turned me over to a collection agency. This is the thanks I got for being a loyal customer for over ten years. NO MORE!!

TruGreen — billing for un-authorized service

Around March 2009, I purchased/prepaid for a Lawn treatment package through Trugreen. While they were trying...

Upper Saddle River

TruGreen — pesticide - talstar one

TruGreen sprayed a Pesticide on my neighbor's property less than 5 feet from my German Shepherd, who wa...

TruGreenslimy work ethics

I have two very big complaints.
                  1) The sales representatives are the most pressure driven people I have ever worked with. I heard ever sales pitch, gimmick, and trick in the book working with these guys. They don’t ask you if you are interested, they tell you that you are interested. I had a guy call me and tell me about aerating and seed product. He went on and on about how I had to have this done for winter and it will do all these wonderful things. Then he said when would be the best time to get this taken care of. The way he pitched it made it sound like it was included with what I already paid for. I ask if it was included and he tells me it’s just over $100 dollars. Then he went on with the same “you have to get this” crap again. I rejected it 3 times before he took the hint.
                  2) I would wake up at 8am to see if Tru Green came and they didn’t. Then at 10am I would go to work. They put a bag on the door and signs in my lawn. I would call and the operator would tell me the drive knocked but there was no answer. Ok maybe I was in the shower or something. I got the same story for 4 months in a row. That is bull. I would go out on the lawn and feel no product on the grass, no foot prints, no chemical smell. I would wait and see if the weeds dry up like they are supposed to and only a few patches would be taken care of. So I’m paying to have my whole lawn sprayed but all they do is spot spray. I have yet to see them spray while I was home. I just suddenly have their signs posted in my lawn and a note that says please water grass more.

TruGreenrip off

Trugreen is a big huge rip off. Although they serviced my lawn they ended up letting chinch bugs, sod web worms and various weeds ruin my lawn. Now it will have to be resodded. The Trugreen in Fruitland Park, Florida is worthless. I called and got a snotty and rude branch manager that said my lawn problems were "hot spots" and and "act of God". Even though each assessment of my lawn said it had good growth and color. What Bull. A worthless business! I hope they end up BANKRUPT. I have worked and worked on a lawn that will never be the same. I am sick about it.

• Re
                        Reviewer10929 Nov 19, 2015

On 11/18/2015 my 22 yr old son's bank account was drafted for $400.41 from Trugreen. We, neither he or I, are customers. When I called to inquire, they said they wouldn't be able to track the payment without an account number! Excuse me...I'm not a customer! Nor did I authorize you to enter my bank account!!!

SamF54 Nov 24, 2009

I live in colleyville tx and have used Trugreen this year - 2009. My grass turned YELLOW. I complained and requested reapplications each time. They came out and assessed the situation and each time it became worse. They applied the weed control - surprise - I got weeds, they put down the fertilizer and nothing.

They came out for maybe the third time and told me that I had an inferior lawn. I called the local nursery who came out and they told me that my Bermuda grass was, in fact, high quality.

These people are rip offs. AVOID TruGreen. They really suck.

• Kb
                        kbwife Sep 09, 2009

TruGreen was told to stop servicing my lawn and each time we paid them $36.00 they sent someone back out. This last time we have not paid them so they are threatning to turn us over to a collection agency for $36.00

TruGreen — terrible service

I began working with TruGreen and signed up for the scheduled lawn service for the summer. Keep in mind thi...

Aberdeen

TruGreenproblem

Please see attached letter which has been sent via USPS (X3), emailed (X2),
                      and hand delivered (X1), and a documented 20+ phone calls over the past 7
                      months with nothing but excuses such as "we'll have someone call you back",
                      " I'm not the guy to handle this", "it's another employee's problem", "you
                      did not water enough" (though local water company -EA bills dispute this
                      claim, "it was a tough summer", and the most recent statement "the water
                      table is really low".

I requested the last technician on 12-16 to please have customer service
                      contact me as the letters were going unanswered. He stated he would make a
                      note of request.

No one called

My wife called on 12-29 and spoke with Josh, Chris Stone, Charles Taylor and
                      was told that they would be back in touch.

No one called

My wife called on 1-5-07 and Charles Taylor said he would be out and did
                      show up @ 1700, took soil sample claimed we did not have St. Augustine grass
                      in our back yard (which was the sod originally planted in 2001) and said it
                      was Pete's problem.

• St
                          stalkedbytruegreen Jun 17, 2009

That's interesting that you were unable to get someone to call you back because they will not leave us alone. We contracted True Green to apply a pest control system to our lawn last summer. Once the service was completed, we cancelled any further services since we were no longer interested. They continued to contact my husband on a weekly basis to ask when they could come back to our house for a follow up application. The phone calls were so frequent that they bordered on harassment. This summer, a True Green representative showed up to our house and applied another round of treatment to our lawn without our consent. After confronting him directly, and explaining to him that we did not want the service, he lied and said we would not be billed for the services. Sure enough one week later we receive a bill in the mail. Since then we have received 3 copies of the same bill that I refuse to pay and I have called 5 times and talked with the same person about the fact that we will not be paying for the services we did not order. I would like them to take our information out of the system so that we are never contacted again, but evidently we will be stalked by True Green forever.

TruGreenpoor customer service

Here is letter written to the VP. As of today, no response:

November 26, 2008

Cannon White, Regional Vice President
                        Tru Green Lawncare
                        P.O. Box 2729
                        Suwanee, GA 30024

Dear Mr. White:

On September 22, 2008, I received a bill for a lawn treatment for $35 performed on August 25, 2008. I never received this treatment. I called on September 24, 2008 and talked to Gregory, explained that I had never received this treatment. He said that he would send someone out on Friday, September 26, 2008 for a free treatment. I asked Gregory if I should pay the bill I had received and he said no because this would be a free treatment.

A month passed and I received the same past due bill in the mail. I called your office and spoke with Nina. She explained that I would not have to pay for the treatment in September because it was free, but, I would need to pay for the treatment in August, that I never received. Nina asked me if I understood and I said no, she snickered and explained again. When she was finished, I told her to cancel my service. Please tell me what is free in this scenario?

I, as a customer, do not like being belittled and if this is a representation of your customer service, then I do not want to be a customer of Tru Green. The quickest way to lose customers and have them tell all their friends and neighbors about it is to provide poor customer service. Is it worth $35?

Enclosed, please find a check for my final bill for September, not August as indicated on the bill. Please adjust your records concerning this error.

TruGreen — billing errors/quality of service/harassement

Used TruGreen in 2007, at the end of the season all of a sudden I owed another $59 that wasn't paid...

TruGreen — lawn damage

Overfertilizing and unnecessary treatment required replacement of my lawn. Unnecessary fertiziling in March...