Having problems with TruGreen?

TruGreen reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jun 11, 2007. The latest review lawn care was posted on Jun 17, 2021. The latest complaint Yard care was resolved on Mar 05, 2020. TruGreen has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 167 reviews. TruGreen has resolved 52 complaints.

TruGreen Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 464 0171 (New Service)
+1 800 458 4186 (Customer Service)
+1 401 732 6883 (Head Office)
860 Ridge Lake Boulevard
Memphis, Tennessee

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with TruGreen Customer Service. Initial TruGreen complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for TruGreen above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about TruGreen. Discuss the issues you have had with TruGreen and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

TruGreen Complaints & Reviews

TruGreenthey will cheat you

I had originally signed up for TrueGreen service because I honestly do not have time to cut my lawn during the summer. It is the busy season for my line of work. After a few months of service I decide that I will not sign up for next year but would finish this year out.

The prices were too high and the results were less than expected. I get better service from my neighbor who for a small price will trim my lawn. Everything was fine until I received a bill the following summer!

I never signed up for the next year! I never even noticed the trim! Why would I pay for a service I never requested? I called to figure out this unwanted charge. Customer Service told me that the service continues every year until cancelled by customer! They are allowed to charge you even though you never asked them to trim your lawn!

What a complete rip off! This should be an illegal practice! I have not paid the bill because I did not ask them to perform it! They are now threatening me until I pay. Is there anyway I can fight this??? TrueGreen is only there for your green wallet!

TruGreenscam

I recieved a letter from this company inquiring as to why I canceled my lawn service. I responded with a very detailed letter and was not even given the courtesy of a response. I am hoping that if I put forth the effort to put this on the internet for others to see that maybe someone will decide it is worth their time and effort to respond. One day a salesman John Hutton came to my door from your company asking to treat my trees and shrubs.I have a lot of htem, so we walked out into hte yard and looked at all of htem, and he said he could treat them for $39. That was a great price so I signed up for it and he said he would send someone out hte next week to do the job. All went accordingly and a guy shows up at my door and says he is there to do the job, but that he would not do all the trees for that 39 dollars. I said that was the salesman's price not mine. So i called the salesman who had assured me that he would always be there to help me and I could have his cell number to call anytime. I told john what was going on and he siad he would talk to his supervisor and get back to me. In the mean time I asked hte service tech if he could at least treat my two big trees that were not looking too healthy. He did and left a bill for the 39 dollars. I never heard from John again and called the local office to inquire as to the status a couple of weeks later. The lady said she would look into it and give me a call. She never did as well so some time later I called again and hte lady said she woudl send someone out on Monday to finish the job. No one ever came. I called the national number in TN and the lady was very sympathetic and said she would contact hte local office again sometime later, because now it is about the principle of the thing and happened to get a guy named Jesse, who listened to my story and said he did not work in that office but that he would, as he was filling in for someone else, come adn take a look. Surprise surprise, he shows up an hour later adn I tell him teh story again and he says that the tech should have never refused to treat all hte trees as that was not his call and that he would personally see that the guy came out and finished the job on Monday. Low and behold hte guy comes and does the rest of the treatment, but later I find that he has left me another bill. I had already paid hte first one, which I see was a big mistake on my part. So I call and get the TN office and she agrees that is is an error and says she will fix it. Then I get anohter bill and it is not fixed, so i call and want to speak to the local office and they tell me that I cannot talk to them, everything must come through them. After more attempts, I do get to the local office and the lady says she will issue the credit and do I want to cancel teh service. I am pretty hot by now so I said yes and she says she will send me a check, since I had prepaid the entire year service for the lawn. I asked her when I could expect it and she said 5 to 7 days. Two weeks go by and no check so I call again and she again says she will process it and it will be 5-7 more days. So i ask for her sueprvisor and she says there is no one in at this time and it will be after 5 before one arrives. I said fine, have her call me. She never calls. I call back hte next day and ask to talk to the sup that was supposed to call me back. I do not remember her name and she was there and I asked why she did not call me back and she said she was supposed to issue a refund and since it was taken care of she did not feel a call was warrented. I asked her since the check was supposed to take 5-7 days to process does that mean the original one was never processed and I was lied to about it the first time and she says yes. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent on the phone with so many people, telling and retelling the story to that point, which got longer and longer, and alonger. I was frustrated to tears, never finding anyone who seemed competent to do their job, from service to billing and customer service. I am amazed that you are in business. Which is a shame because my lawn was looking good. If i do not hear from you I will then know that this goes all the way to the top. I would not have written this letter as I was resigned to let it go after getting my check until I got my letter from you asking why I wanted to cancel my service and how to get me back as a customer. That would take a lot of nerve if it was not just a mass mailing form letter. It did give me your name and position to vent the reason too. So here you are it is all in your hands from here. In all the businesses I have worked at there are problems, and you cannot fix problems you do not know about. Now you know, ball is in your court. This is the worst customer experience of my life. There was no place where the buck stopped.

• To
        ToyToy Sep 04, 2015

Sales person came by and said he can improve my lawn. My lawn was pretty nice but I have been slacking on the last couple of seasons and put my weed and feed on a little late. So, I said yes to 4 treatments for 100.00 dollars. I should have known something was wrong when he said he could only take cash. My lawn is half dead and weeds are still present. My sod is three years new. so this stinks. I've called Aug 5, 17, 21, 28 and Sept 5, 2015 and I was told today that my call to the rep was escalated to a manager two times and today will be escataled to a general manager and that no one has attempted to call and the note has never been updated and she does not know why.

They are giving me the run around and my grass is still dead.

• Ya
        yam802 May 10, 2011

I am a former employee of TRUGREEN so please read about my personal experience on how they work. Trugreen is ran by a company named service master. With service master its all about sales and not customer satisfaction . They send the techs out with a high number they have to hit leaving them to do a poor quality treatment just to hit their goal. Some techs do what they call " GHOST TREATMENT " . Thats where they claim to treat the yard leaving the customer a bill and no service. Thats easy for them to do since most people aren't home when they claimed to do the work. I was even instructed to treat a yard where the house had been foreclosed on just to have some revenue for the day. What they would do is bill the previous home owner and turn them into collections if they didn't pay.! Many people cancel the service and when speaking to the sales team are assured no more treatments will be done. Now trugreen will send a tech out the next month and spray again, leaving a bill and turning you into collections if you don't pay reguardless of the cancellation . We also were told to spray in heavy rain and windy days. That is B.S. cause the treatment wont work !!! Its all about them being able to bill someone and thats it ! If you want lawn service thats great but just be careful on who you choose and make sure to be home so you can make sure the treatment was actually applied !

TruGreen — harassing phone calls

This company has been calling my home for about 2 weeks or more now and last night they called at 9:00pm to...

TruGreenweeds

I've been with Trugreen for almost a year, i was just trying to get rid of the weeds, but they didn't do it right when they promised me last year and still want to collect money $55 for every 6 weeks. Thumbs down for Trugreen.

• Ge
          Gerald E .Lee ( deceased) Jul 01, 2011

I called April 27 for My first call on weeds. I have called 4 times since. 2 weeks ago a tech. came out and said my weeds would all be gone in 2 weeks. Today I have cute yellow dandelions standing up in my yard. From my kitchen window I can see
          50 light green weeds. I am a good customer for several years, Ipay my bill on time. and ahead of time. I will not put up with this. If you don't get rid of these weeds I will be forced to find someone who can next year.
          I used to have the best yard in the neighborhood.
          Jean Lee
          8135 Bishops lane
          Indianapolis, In
          [email protected]

TruGreen — horrible company

Trugreen is a horrible thieving company with dishonest workers. If you value your sanity and your hard earned...

TruGreen — stop to send me a collection letter

Truegreen sent me a letter by a collection agency. I am disputing this debt. How can I owe something for them...

TruGreenpoor service

I had TruGreen come to my home after I planted new grass seed I informed them that it was new grass just recently planted they sprayed and killed the new grass then after promising to send someone to look at this person sprayed again I called office and someone else was to come and look at it the person never showed, I would never recommend TruGeen to my neighbors or friends

TruGreenunfair treatment

My supervisor is a money hungry * who professess to be a christian! All he cares about is money to pay for his fishing trip in florida! He"s an egotistical *! This company is a ripoff! Do not spend your money on tree feeds. Big mistake! Do not listen too # giving over the phone about * control when it rains, read your broucher-who"s lying? Smart customers know the difference... I hate working a lie. If you have a conscience like I do, you would not be running a businesses like this to better yourself at the cost of others...

TruGreen — unsatisfactory service

I called TruGreen in March 2011 (Hagerstown MD office) to request an organic treatment plan. I am in the...

TruGreen — lack of professionalism/customer service

A bit of background information: I have been a TruGreen client since the summer of 2008; I live in rural...

TruGreenbuyer beware

My parents have used Trugreen for the past three years and since using their service had brown spots and was sold reseeding, aerating (which really made the lawn rough) and different chemical treatments. Each time promising this would correct the problem. I tried talking them out of using Trugreen last year but my parents were told Trugreen would be able to correct. Again this Spring they were pressured to renew but finally realized Trugreen was not helping their lawn. I ran a soil analysis from the local Feed Store on the lawn to find out it was deficient in lime and needs 3, 770 lbs to correct an 10, 000 sq. ft. lawn. The ph is at 5 which is very acidic. We were told he was surprised the lawn would even grow as the ph should be at 7. This was caused by too much Nitrogen. Why didn't Trugreen figure that out. It is going to cost over $500 in lime alone to correct and that is with me doing all the work. And since putting this much lime on would kill the lawn if all put on at once, will have to be divided by 1/3 this Spring, next Fall and the following Spring. Plus all the dead spots which is about 1/3 of the lawn need reseeding. If you use the service, insist on them taking a soil test to truly know what should be put on.

• Du
                dumbcustomers2 Mar 01, 2012

"...aerating which really made the lawn rough..." LOL...yeah, aerating will do that but it's only temporary as the
                "core" plugs need TIME to break down which eventually will benefit your lawn in more ways then one...

• Ri
                Rick Nov 10, 2010

I used TruGreen/Chemlawn for three years (my bad) to provide monthly insect prevention and fertilizing services to my centipede lawn. The first year they did a fine job, but their work and diminished after 2017. The technician, on several occasions, was stopped by ME prior to application of LIME. You don't put LIME on centipede. The fertilizer was overdone to the point that the grass died in a large patch right at the street. Customer Service was contacted about this, and responded immediately with several patches of centipede turf - but the soil itself was tainted badly. It took three years for the damage to naturally recover. Consistent hi-dose applications of fertilizers is also bad for this type of dichondra grass. Via telephone solicitors, they offered and planned aeration treatments at the wrong time of year for centipede. When I pointed out this issue to the telephone representative - I got a profound, ignorant silence at the other end. BE WARNED - if you have centipede or any other "out of the ordinary" turf/sod - be very sure that your technician is monitored and is knowledgeable enough to service your lawn. You could (as I did) wind up re-sodding after complete destruction by well intended but undertrained technicians. I followed their watering and maintenance suggestions (regular watering and keep the lawnmower blade high) yet their consistent application of too much fertilizer eventually destroyed my entire centipede lawn. I terminated the contract in 2017.Since termination, I have re-sodded my centipede lawn and will, from now on, maintain it myself.

TruGreenpoor performance

Canceled all services after 8 months. My lawn showed no noticeable improvement, bottom line. My neighbor hired Scotts two months ago and the difference between our two lawns was the deciding factor. In addition, I now find shrub in my front yard infested with Japanese beetles and their grub worms under my front yard grass. All while Trugreen has been applying "pesticides" and "insecticides". I've complained several times during the 8 months both to the Trugreen Corporate site and on the phone locally. Nothing was ever addressed but I thought I'd give their treatments a fair chance. I called them initially because I used them several years ago at my other home in GA where the results were dramatic. Something clearly has happened to quality control in this company. Even after I canceled, I have yet to receive any contact to find out why I canceled or to attempt to rectify the situation. This is customer service at its worst.

• Jp
                  J.P. Besson Jun 25, 2011

Going through the same pain with TruGreen in South Florida. Based on poor performance I have been trying to suspend service since Oct 2010. Brad Balsama, a so called corporate customer service got me on the hook by apologizing on behalf of the company. He claimed to be the 1 stop solution, as a gesture he offered a free service. The service took place, but got charged $55. From that point on, three $55 services have occured and one unauthorized $128 aeration service which they dont do. Branch had not responded to any of my claims from Oct 2010 to Dec 2010. I had to file corporate complaint 3 times before Brad called me. Seems TruGree has a no call back policy I saw referenced in 1 of the e-mail comunications. I the meanwhile, my grass looked better before I started with TG. My intentions were to bring my grass to another level but up, not down. Seems like TG feeds the weed or worst plants the seeds. My neighbors lawn look better then mine and I am a yard warrior. I am claiming credits, no luck. The talk very professionaly over the phone but they dont deliver what they promise. They need to walk the talk. I will go back to my Scott turf fertilizer which worked by far better. TruGreen is a joke. I have talked to over 10 customer representatives including the branch and corporate, no one seems to care.

TruGreen — lawn

My parents have used Trugreen for the a number of years and the last couple of years had brown spots and wa...

TruGreenlawncare

My husband is deployed from Fort Hood so we decided to sign up for the Deployed Service Member program that Trugreen was offering Fort Hood families. They started mowing at the start of April, and my backyard has only been mowed once--today is the 5th of May. They have used the excuse that they can't open my gate to get into the yard. Are you kidding me? If you can't open a gate then how can you push a lawn mower? Today two of their employees were in my backyard, finally after 3 weeks, using weed whackers to cut my grass instead of a mower. They chopped 1/4th of the yard and then just left. They have also burned sections of my side yard, put huge holes in my front yard, they dont weed whack along the fence line, and have left debris all over my sidewalk, driveway, and walkway to the house. And when I have called to complain I am told that they take care of the yard as the see fit. And when I ask if they can come back and mow my backyard I am told I will just have to wait until next week b/c they wont return to an area after they have finished, even when they are all sitting in their truck that is parked in front of my house for an hour and a half. I understand it is a free service to me as my husband is deployed, but still. I feel that if you volunteer a service then you should provide that service. Trugreen is a horrible company, and their customer service is even worse.

• Kr
                    Kristine_FtHood Oct 26, 2013

By the way it is not volunteer service. TruGreen has a contract with Fort Hood Housing. The Housing is the one paying for the free mow service we get and they generate it from the housing allowance that soldiers get when they choose to live on post.

• Kr
                    Kristine_FtHood Oct 26, 2013

I never had any problems on our free lawn mow. I actually do appreciate the fact that the housing office offers free lawn mow even if your husband is on unaccompanied pcs order to South Korea as long as you have an approved retention memo, signed by the soldier's losing command CMDR. and the Fort Hood Housing. If you called them for a complaint and didn't worked that way, you might want to come down at your designated housing administrative office and file a formal complaint with TruGreen. Also, get a copy from the housing that you're on the list of deployed soldiers who is receiving a free lawn mow and bring it with you to TruGreen's office and directly ask if you can speak to the person in-charge. Be rational and stay calm as it wont do anything good if you will all up to their faces screaming about their poor mowing service. Usually, you got to personally speaks to the right people to get your concern fix because sometimes people who are in-charge aren't aware of the situation. I sympathized on you and your disappointments with TruGreen.

• Wh
                    Whoca39 Mar 06, 2012

I had the same experience. I saw the ChemLawn serviceman drive up to my house, knock twice and leave a bill on my door. When I called to complain the service representative told me (and I quote) "Sir, you are lying.". I was floored. I couldn't believe their response. I didn't know what to say other than close my account. I don't think I've ever been treated like that before.

TruGreen — lawn fertilizer

I tried Truegreen last year. In contrast to the complaints listed here the person doing the service wa...

Stratham

TruGreendestroyed my lawn

Trugreen should be renamed trubrown because that's what happened to my lawn after they treated it. I paid trugreen to maintain my lawn not destroy it like they did. after the last treatment I started getting"large" areas of brown (dead) grass which was continuing to spread. trugreen sent a supervisior down and he checked the sprinkler and said the coverage was fine and I didn't have cinch bugs. he couldn't give my a straight answer as to what caused it. I was pissed because I pay them to maintain my lawn. he sent someone down to respray and that was a waste!!! I wound up paying a landscaper $2, 000 to install a new lawn and oh course trugreen said it was there fault. well who's fault is it? I got options from two other reputable companies and they both said it was caused by trugreens chemicals. don't be a victim! do not hire trugreen!!!

TruGreenthey grass seeded my flower beds, with blue grass

They killed my bush, didn't tell me it was dying. They over seeded and seeded my flower beds, . Told me they were going to come out, and take care of it, and never did. I called quite a few times, and still they continue to say there coming. If your looking for a nice lawn and a care free summer! "Do NOT HIRE TRUE GREEN PERIOD"

Oh yeah, , , , , , , , , , the sales people like to call you over and over and over, did I say over? Pain in the ###, the nerve of these money hungry blood suckers, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , nasty company, like a bee who stings you over and over!!!

• Ra
                        Ray V Apr 20, 2011

TruGreen is the worst lawn company out there...BIG time rip off with their seervice provided

TruGreenbad product and service

Last season, 2010, Trugreen made my lawn look horrible. Their promise to rid my lawn of crabgrass, and their 'fibs' about what they were putting on my yard- ridiculous!
                      I requested a manager to call me at least 4 times, to no avail. They showed up this season while I was not home and started their process. I immediately called and the 'expert' was trying to get me to continue and was not addressing my concerns. He finally asked what he could do to make it up to me...I said stop my service and waive the bill for the unauthorized treatment. His only comment was that if I was cancelling wht y woulsd he make it up to me. I guess to trugreen we are only treated well if we are customers. I got mad and cussed at him, (my bad). I am contacting the Better Business Bureau.

• Am
                          Amanda @ SLS Jul 18, 2011

Hi,

I am with Scotts LawnService Corporate. Please drop me an email with your name and street address. My email address is [email protected]

Thanks,
                          Amanda Cordell
                          Scotts LawnService

• Cs
                          CSGOVEIA1 May 05, 2011

Totally screwed me too. I asked for an area to be re-seeded and quickly, ...as I was putting my house up for sale. After a week they, I got home from work to find that they sprayed the entire property and put fertilzer down, ...no seed. Once I finally contacted soembody they said that they might be able to make an exception and get out to my place maybe in a week or so, ...what?? There should be grass starting to show by now, ...this company sucks, ... totally screwed me. Should have done what I always do and DO IT MYSELF. I will never use them again!!!

TruGreenover charged

Don't believe them, after charging my account (debit card) for a whole year of service they advised they would repay my account and cover all over charges they had caused. Next day when I called this was not so... The workers that came were extremely professional and curtious, the salesman in Florida "Tom" was nice along with the clerical but thats it...

TruGreentree and shrub service

hired tru green to spray tree and shrub they have killed every shrub on my place. of course it is never their fault. the roots are not right the plant doesnt' do well in this area mind you the plants have been planted for 5 years the latest garbage i got was every plant has a life span apparently in this area it is 4 to 5 years. i took this plant to the nursery and they stated it was aphids that killed the plant. they said he wasn't qualified to judge that. i guess all the nursery people will be glad to hear tru green has the only people qualified to guage a plant. these people are thieves in my book please don;t be hoodwinked by these folks locally or corporate office. consumer affairs should say enough is enough and pull these people licenses. how rediculous are these people. their lawn service isn't top notch either they can't handle nut grass homeowner has to handle that weed boycott this company oh thats right they just change their name and keep right on trucking they used to be chemlawn in the 70s werent any good then either attached is a picture of what i think they should be able to handle when this occurred on my plants and killed 2 of them looks like brown spot to me

tree and shrub service