Travelzoofalse advertising

TravelZoo advertised a special deal with Icelandair. For 72 hours a 3 night trip to Iceland that included a Glacier Walk, Northern Lights search and hotel accommodations either at Hotel Reykjavik Natura or Hotel Reykjavik Hilton was priced at $697 per person. The deal would end Jan 8 at 11.59pm EST. When I clicked on the link TravelZoo provided, it took me to Icelandair website. It was already laid out. All I had to do to select the deal was select my location, the package auto populated for Northern Lights and Glacier package. Then I just had to select the date. I selected one of the dates as listed by TravelZoo, March 8th. Then I selected 2 travelers.

However, when I clicked continue, the price that would show up was $807 per person. I closed out and went back in the same way. This time the price came back at $875 per person. I closed out and went back in again. The price was $807 again. My wife and I then thought perhaps you had to continue all the way through and the discount would be applied at the end. So we completed our information including our credit card but the final bill came to $1, 614 i.e. $807 each rather than the $697 advertised. Since I was suppose to have booked for another couple that was going to trave with us, I went back into the site immediately after booking my trip. Well, the price came back at $875.

This is false advertising. At no point does TravelZoo's ad points out the the price when you go to book would fluctuate so much. When I called TravelZoo after 40 minutes of helping the TravelZoo consultant try to locate the information of the deal on their own website, she finally came back with you will have to call Icelandair.

I called Icelandair two times. Each time the Icelandair consultant didn't know about the deal. They both time also thought the difference could be the taxes but I pointed out TravelZoo specifically stated taxes were included. They both couldn't understand how it could have been advertised at a lock price for 72 hours. They each time indicated that it would be unusual for Icelandair to lock in a $697 price for that long of a period.

I feel this is very deceptive advertising. Below is the email sent to subscribers. Buyers beware.

SEATTLE--JANUARY 06, 2012-- For the next 72 hours, Iceland
4-star getaways from Seattle, including a guided glacier
walk tour and Northern Lights hunt, are reduced to $697 per
person, including taxes -- a savings of $300 on packaging
components of the deal individually.

This winter is a prime time to visit Iceland, as NASA
scientists believe that the Northern Lights will shine its
brightest in more than 50 years in 2012.

The offer includes:
- Roundtrip nonstop flights to Reykjavik from Seattle
- Three nights at Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura
- Guided glacier walk then a traditional lobster soup dinner
- Nighttime hunt to glimpse the famed Northern Lights
- Additional nights for $41 per person

This package is available on the following Thursday and
Friday departures -- ideal for a long-weekend getaway: Feb.
9, 23; March 1, 8, 22. Weekday departures are also
available.

RESOLVED

• Travelzoo's response · Jan 25, 2013

Aussielmo,

My name is Cortni Harris, and I am a customer service representative at Travelzoo. We would like the opportunity to make this right for you. Please email me at [email protected] so that we may assist you further.

• Travelzoo's response · Apr 23, 2013

SheenaC,

My name is Cortni, and I am a customer service representative at Travelzoo. We are sorry to hear that you have not had a positive experience, and would like to provide assistance. Please email me at [email protected] so that we may obtain further details.

• Sh
    SheenaC Apr 23, 2013

I hope your issue has been resolved by the unmatched name addressed and posted above. if Travel Zoo is keen to save their business, they should really working on getting our lose compensate by at least provide a credit rather then simply stealing our money away without providing what we have paid for!!!

• Gr
    Grandadmc Dec 31, 2012

"Think I have been ripped off !!!"

I got a voucher from Travelzoo for the fayrer hotel in the Lakes and when I tried to book the weekend dates I was told by the hotel that they had no availability otehr than the graveyard dates during the week.

Spoke to Travelzoo and they said "sell it on ebay!!!" Brian from Travelzoo did not want to know.

Simple facts is that I have a voucher that has cost Travelzoo pennies to issue and the hotel nothing but cost my partner £150.

Think we have been well and truely ripped off !!! be aware of this type of voucher and keep well away from Travelzoo.