Complaints & Reviews

scam and fraud!

I used Travelocity to book a rental car with Budget rent a car for a stay in St. Croix. The Travelocity trip confirmation quoted a total of $560.33. When I returned the car Budget had in their records a total of $675.86. This apparently had been the amount Budget headquarters received from Travelocity.

I called Travelocity and was placed on hold several times. With no resolution from the Travelocity supervisor and my flight soon departing I had to leave the issue unresolved. I've subsequently contacted Travelocity customer relations but no action.

I'll never use Travelocity again.

refund problems!

I echo other complaints about obtaining a refund from Travelocity. During the summer of 2007 I purchased a...

car rental gone badly wrong

I'm a professor involved with student organizations. I took a student group to Seattle in April 2006, booking travel and especially a rental minivan through Travelocity. I arrived with four female students at 9:30 pm and we needed to just pick up the minivan at SeaTac airport and drive to the hotel in downtown Seattle. The car rental company, Advantage, did NOT have a minivan as we had reserved. I tried to call Travelocity (like in their numerous tv commercials) but 1-800 information DID NOT HAVE A PHONE NUMBER FOR TRAVELOCITY CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I had booked through Travelocity in order to get a good rate, especially to save my college's money. I had to spend almost $400 more to book a minivan, not to mention the inconvenience of going counter to counter in the late night hours in SEA airport. I was told by Travelocity that when I returned they would work out the problem.

I lost count of how many times I contacted Travelocity about getting reimbursement. Once they told me (get this) that they could not reimburse ME until the offending car rental company reimbursed THEM. That is simply unacceptable. Then I was told that they had the money, but they didn't have my address to send the check. I contacted them with my home address, and of course never saw any money. Calls about every two weeks yielded total confusion on the part of customer service about my case and its disposition. I gave up after about a year.

Oh, I should mention that I am/was A TRAVELOCITY PREFERRED CUSTOMER. God help those who just booked cold.

One last thing. I understand companies outsourcing calls to India for business efficiency. I really do. But the customer service reps I spoke with simply had no idea what I was telling them and what my needs were. That alone was excruciatingly frustrating.

I have used Travelocity many times for my own travel as well as college bookings. Most often, things have gone fine. I make about 3-4 overseas bookings a year and 3 domestic trips. I understand that sooner or later a problem will happen. That's where Travelocity completely failed me.

lack of response and empathy!

I recently read some wonderful articles regarding CEO Michelle Peluso and her ideas of what customer service...

british air confirmed travelocity fraud!

Booking with Travelocity on two occasions was an absolute nightmare. Our Puerto Vallarta get-away and my Thanksgiving trip to London were both ruined by Travelocity, yet they still managed to charge us TWICE for the same ticket, which was never issued to me.

Short summary:
Travelocity CONFIRMED my trip by email then a month later (on the day of my travel!) when I attempt to do online check-in I find out that I have no reservation with British Airways. I call BA immediately and the agent confirms that there is no record of a booking under my name; it never existed at all. Impossible, I say, I have confirmation from Travelocity. She laughs and says Travelocity routinely waits until the very last minute to purchase the ticket from the airline. What does this mean to the customer? Frequent "fair-jumping" and "cancellations" of reservations that were never even made! This is their dirty little secret and, like with most business tactics, the customer gets screwed.

After literally waiting on hold for half the day during multiple phone calls and disconnects with Travelocity Customer Care in INDIA, finally "Gearald" the manager basically tells me, "We're sorry, but we tried to inform you of the cancellation by email." I say not true, I have no spam blocker on this private email account. He says sorry, but it looks like a "hiccup" in our system; we apologize (I'm in business and I know the classic "system glitch" BS excuse when I hear it). He just keeps piling it on, until I reveal the fact that BA already confirmed that no booking/reservation existed at any point with their airline, so what gives? Awkward pause, then "Sir, I'm going to confer with my supervisor, may I just place you on hold for two to three minutes please?" Go ahead, "Gerald," tell me another one.

After the day-long fiasco with customer service, as if that was not enough, I get my Master Card bill next month and see that Travelocity ended up charging me for my "canceled" non-existent ticket not once, but TWICE! Beyond absurd.

So I opened a dispute with Citibank MC and in December '06 I overnighted via FedEx a formal letter of complaint to "Customer Care Relations." They do not care. Lots of empty promises from pseudo-supervisors like "Gerald" and "Sean" in India. It is now almost six months (May 21) and we're still getting the run-around. This is not just unbelievably bad service or outright deception, it is both.

Their parent group, Sabre Holdings, is negotiating its sale. In the meantime their customer service has deteriorated and the company uses fraudulent booking procedures [ask Airline ticket agents; they hate them]. Travelers should avoid Travelocity like the plague. If you've been burned, file a complaint with your state attorney general's office. Better Business Bureau has less credibility but still worth reporting to BBB because they at least publish unresolved disputes. Spreading the word on the web is our only chance at changing things.

flight protection is a scam!

In Mar. 07, I booked a flight through Travelocity for my elderly mother. Because she frequently has medical issues, I purchased the optional Flight Protection insurance. Lo and behold, she had a medical issue that rendered her unable to travel at the scheduled time, and I tried to cancel the flight with Travelocity. After waiting on hold for 15 mins., I got an operator (call center in guess-where). As she was informing me of the penalties for cancellation, I told her I had the flight insurance. But wait -- she told me she had no record of it! I said "you charged me for it!". More time on hold -- she came back and said even though TRAVELOCITY CHARGED ME FOR IT, it "didn't go through". So therefore, I wasn't covered, and all they could do was refund me the cost of the flight insurance!!!

I asked to speak to her supervisor, was on hold another 20 mins., then disconnected. I called back, hold for 15 mins., got an operator in you-know-where, and find out the first operator never even canceled the flight. I spent literally another 20 mins. with him while he put me on hold several times and finally SAID he canceled the flight. He gave me the e-mail address for Travelocity to pursue my complaint about the flight insurance.

DON'T FALL FOR THIS SCAM! They charge you for the insurance, but if you try to submit a claim, they say you don't have it. In addition, they make it so difficult to get through, I'm sure most people just give up. DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE AIRLINES.

I got a canned response from Travelocity but have not much hope that I'll be able to get a refund. But I fully intend to keep trying, and to report them to the BBB and the NJ Attorney General.

think twice before using travelocity!

I am writing to express my extreme disappointment with Travelocity.com. In July 2006, I was in a car accident; problems for me did not become chronic until November 2006.

The human body has seven neck bones, every single one of mine is fractured, bulging, and/or dried out.

In September 2006, we made a reservation to go to the Excellence Club in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic for February 2007. I was originally scheduled for surgery on February 22, 2007, so we pushed back our trip until either the first of second week of April 2007, plenty of time to have surgery, recuperate enough for a well-deserved long relaxing comfortable vacation.

In early February, I had my myelogram and scheduled a follow up with my neurosurgeon to discuss the type of surgery that needed to be done. At that time, about a week prior to surgery, we were told I was a horrible surgical candidate with multi-level disc degeneration with severe spondylosis, a 44 year old otherwise healthy women, with a neck of a 78 year-old arthritic man that would continue to crumble. In other words, I have deteriorated to the point that surgery would not help me.

Which leads me to our unnecessary, uncalled for, inexcusable, problems with Travelocity:

Upon learning the news of my pending operation, my husband spent hundreds of minutes on hold trying to change the reservation for April. When he finally spoke with a reservation agent, they were, I’m sorry to say imbeciles, I’m not sure what they were doing on the other end, but we were placed on hold for many more minutes (20 and 30 minute blocks of time) again (may I put you on hold for 2 minutes?) and when the reservation was finally changed, the return flight was incorrect. Two hours accomplished nothing, zilch, nada. We received the reservation electronically and my husband just about fell over with heart failure regarding the return flight.

The next evening, my husband and I both spent three hours explaining the reservation was incorrect and needed to be changed. We were disconnected a couple of times and then again, huge amounts of minutes again placed on hold. Nobody could or would help us. Travelocity explained we would need to pay the airline change fee for your mistake. Without any notice, we were switched over to US Air’s telephone line and we again, (now almost three hours trying to change the hotel and air reservation) have to explain the air situation. (Would you want your broken wife to have to sit in the Philadelphia airport for four hours?) Needless to say, at this time the hotel reservation had not been corrected at this time either.

Thereafter, my husband spent days calling Travelocity and the hotel to ensure the reservation was corrected. US Air was kind enough to send us an updated itinerary with the corrected flights, NOTHING from Travelocity was sent correcting the hotel or air.

Again, I will remind you I’m still broken and not fixed and still have chronic pain and trying to deal with stupid unnecessary issues like this is absurd.

After the disappointing news from the neurosurgeon, we decided, better sooner then later,and that if I was going to continue to deteriorate, we again, would have to brave the battlefield of calling Travelocity to attempt change our reservations. You think we would have been better prepared from the first time we called. Same scenario, but worse this time. The website would not update the information and kept showing the April time frame. Many huge blocks of minutes (about five hours worth) trying to change this reservation to March 17. Again, US Air was kind enough for sending an updated itinerary, nothing from Travelocity on the hotel. Husband again, emails, calls Travelocity requesting confirmation on the hotel, nothing comes. He calls the hotel direct, they make the change. He calls Travelocity states he has acted as travel agent for us and to please send confirmation to us and the hotel of the date change. Can you guess? Nothing comes but we are assured the change has been made.

We arrive at the airport on March 17 for our flight. Wouldn’t you know, our flight is cancelled due to a mechanical problem. US Air is kind enough to change our reservation Sunday to Sunday March 18 – 25. Husband calls the hotel and Travelocity changing the reservation to March 18 – 25. We are assured everything is ok from Travelocity and they will fax the voucher to the hotel.

As the nightmare continues,

After traveling to the Dominican Republic (we awoke at 3:30 to catch a 7ish flight) we arrive at the hotel around 2 p.m. The hotel asks us to present our voucher. We have nothing in hand. Travelocity has not sent anything to the hotel. We spent two hours trying to check in to our room and cannot. They have confirmation for the April reservation only and would not honor the March reservation. They agreed to let us check in with a credit card prepayment but if the reservation is not straightened out by Travelocity we would need to pay them directly for our seven night stay, no and, if, ors about it. We agree on these terms and conditions as my neck is about ready to fall off of my head.

Husband called Travelocity long distance twice the day of arrival, each time being placed on hold for many more minutes (about thirty each time), these are long distance international calls off a cell phone at $.95 cents per minute as the 800 number does not work from the Dominican Republic. He does the same on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. If my math is correct that is approximately $60 per day for four days, totaling $240, calling for a simple request with a voucher with the correct dates. Still nothing comes over the fax machine at the hotel. Apparently, there is a relay problem between Bangladesh India, Texas, and the Dominican Republic. We are checking with them twice a day to see if the fax made it through and it still has not. I started to email on Tuesday, first day request, second day request, third day request, and fourth day request. Where is the Travelocity gnome I ask? Who is going to save us from putting out thousands of more dollars on our credit card for a trip that was bought and paid for last September? Finally, the fax comes through on Friday afternoon. It took $240 and 15 emails for one simple request.

I ask, where is the back-end customer service? Their website was pleased to take our $5k plus in September and leave us hanging and on our own for the duration. How can Travelocity outsource this very important business segment to people that simply just don’t know how to do their jobs, don’t know how to use your computer system, how to own up to their mistakes, don’t care and generally worthless. Their phone bills are astronomical I’m sure.

I work for a large company and have had the pleasure of working with one of the other big two. I swore upon my return, if they were to outsource and provide the customer service like Travelocity has, I will cancel my account immediately and become the company travel agent. And to think Travelocity was in the running a few years ago for my company’s business. I assure you Travelocity will never again be considered when it is time to reevaluate.

As stated previously, I am a very broken human being and this experience has taken the breath and patience out of me. The lousy $50 credit they offered us for our nightmare experience with their company does not make up for the 24 plus hours and money spent on phone calls to rectify simple requests for a much needed vacation and that did not allow either of us to relax because of the incredible hassle of dealing with them.

A $50 credit towards our next Travelocity trip obviously doesn’t cut it, heck it won’t even pay the long distance bill.

I’ve seriously considered taking a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal about my experience with Travelocity.

• De
    Denise Feb 20, 2008

Travelocity: Indian Outsourcing Done WRONG

I am a Travelocity employee and customer. Just dealing with loosing my job is difficult enough to handle; NOW waiting almost an hour for someone to answer the phone or for the agents to understand me correctly is EVEN WORSE! THIS MOVE MADE BY TRAVELOCITY AND ALL OTHER COMPANIES THAT HAS OUTSOURCED THEIR BUSINESS TO INDIA...I HOPE THEY ALL FLOP!

• Qu
    /"BOB/" Nov 08, 2008

Bleh I hate wns as well and I also am an employee however, these people would have [censor]ed just as much if these were us agents and if you are really an tvly employee then you know this just as well as I do. Bet you money there is more to this story, they probably were violating fare rules or wanted us to "advocate" for them with the hotel/airlines to break the contract on a package people are all the same you can ###ing die on that plane for all I care, take that to the bank.

• Gi
    Gibrimkol Feb 24, 2010

I REGRET using Travelocity - it has been an expensive lesson.

• Un
    Unhappy skier Mar 13, 2010

My Travelocity trip was a nightmare. Prospector lodging in SLC was terrible,
    Walked into the building and the hallway was smelly, carpet stained, and when we tried to unlock it, the first key didn't work, the other two ok
    Tiny fridge froze our leftover steaks
    Heater was incredibly loud and smelly
    The sink in the bathroom the drain was broken
    The toilet would not stop running. After every flush we had to take off the tank top and manually nudge the plunger down
    No towels for the jacuzzi once we found it
    We were so disappointed, but we laughed about it.
    We had one small shampoo for three people for four days.
    When we came home from skiing on Sunday there was a sign on the door. Sorry but the water heater is broken. Receiving parts on Monday sorry for the inconvenience. We all snapped.
    Called travelocity and got asr on the line. Jessie was going to find us a place to move to. The "place" was clean, but had one tiny bed and no couch even for the three of us...

quick to take your money, will not refund it

I wanted to travel from where I am working, Naples, Italy to where my family is, Alabama. I wanted to go for...

travelocity sucks and has horrible customer service!

Well, I've been waiting for someone to help me out with customer service for the past 45 minutes. Not...

horrible service! use someone else!

Do not ever use travelocity. There 100% guarantee is a joke. They can't even get their own service right. Too many "technical" difficulties and incompetent customer service people. The hold time on the phone is outrageous...

I booked a $5400 trip to Hawaii for myself and my family through this company on October 25th, 2006. I tried to book everything myself on the website, but the promotion code would not work. I called the customer service # and had to have them book it. This process took 1 HOUR even though I had already spent all the time researching and planning on my own and all their service rep needed to do was plug in the flight #s and hotel info that I gave her. I had even picked out the seats on the plane... ridiculously long processing time for her to take an hour. I even had to remind her that we had upgraded our rooms as she was just going to take the first thing that came up.

At the end of this hour long process with the rep, the promotion code STILL did not work and then I had to pay almost an $11 booking fee (for work that I had done myself). I had to make sure she notated my file to process the $100 refund and then issue me the $200 future promo code credit. When they finally gave me the credit, then refunded a credit card I used 8 months earlier on a different trip!!!

Even after all of this hassle, I was still pretty happy about getting our trip taken care of. That is, until the next day!! When checking the website the next day with my trip id # I was unable to find my trip. I called the customer service # and was unable to locate it via the voice response system. When I got through to an agent I was treated very poorly. I was left on hold for over 15 minutes even though he had already taken down my credit card information that I had paid with to supposedly check what was going on. During that 15 minute time span, he never checked back with me to let me know what was going on...was he even working on it?? was he on a break?? who knows???

After becoming fed up with this unprofessional treatment, I hung up and called back. The lady who then helped me still could not figure out what was going on. She did keep me informed while she was checking on things, but I was left feeling like there was a PROBLEM. I contacted my credit card company to confirm that the money had been authorized and it had been.

The supervisor told me to contact their consumer relations dept and they would make it up to me! WHAT A JOKE!!

After 6 weeks, no one called me and I still could not access my trip info. Wondering if we still had a hotel resv ( I already confirmed w/ the airline) I called in to Travelocity again. After another hour long phone call they finally fixed their "technical" problems of giving me a recycled trip id. I still can't view it.

Their idea of making me 100% satisfied is giving me a credit of $50 on a FUTURE trip! WHO CARES!!! I want to be satisfied on this trip. They couldn't even offer us a show ticket or any other comp. Why would I ever want to use them in the future.

USE SOMEONE ELSE!!! The little bit of money you may save over expedia is so not worth the stress of wondering if they are going to mess something up.

• Ke
    Ken B Apr 17, 2007

Hello,

I found you website while browsing for Travelocity complaints and I was amazed to find so many complaints!! Well, here is mine. Please add it to the growing list.

I am deployed to the Middle East in support of the War on Terror. I left the US in early February for a scheduled tour of 6 months. My wife Sheila was due to deliver our 2nd child in early April. In preparation for the birth, she bought a set of tickets from Travelocity to fly from Bahrain to Virginia on 4 April and returning to Kuwait on 11 April. The total cost of the fair was $1400 USD.

Travelocity said they would mail the tickets to me immediately (this was 3 weeks before the flight) and that I would need the tickets as proof of purchase. Logically, the question was asked "what if the tickets don't arrive in time for the flight?" The issue was that the only mailing address I have overseas is a FPO address. Travelocity stated that if I didn't have the tickets I could pay $100 USD and have replacement tickets printed out at the airport. No big deal, it's worth the money.

So I arrive at the airport in Bahrain 4 hours early and go to the Gulf Air counter. You guessed it- no tickets in hand, no flight, period. So I get on the phone, my wife gets on the phone and we commence the complaining process. The first call to Travelocity reveals an agent THAT DOES NOT SPEAK CLEAR ENGLISH, so we asked for a supervisor who ALSO does not speak clear English. Long story a bit shorter, they cannot help me out. They told us that we could buy a one way ticket to Frankfurt, Germany and sort out the rest with US Airways there. They also said that US Airways WOULD honor the $100 USD replacement fee since they are a US carrier.

So I buy a one way ticket for $500 to get out of Bahrain and start my trip. I asked my wife to make some phone calls while I was in flight to settle this and save time. I only had a couple of hours layover in Germany, so time was precious.

When I arrived in Frankfurt I got on the phone and she told me we were still out of luck. US Airways said the same thing, no tickets, no flight. I was now stuck in Germany with no flight home. In addition, our new baby boy Owen has gone into Intensive Care due to heart/respiratory complications. My scheduled trip had now become emergency leave.

At the ticket counter in Frankfurt I met and AMAZING German woman who was willing to work with me on this issue. She tried and tried to honor my standing reservation, but her computer system would no recognize my reservation, payment method, etc etc. The bottom line was that I would have to buy a new fare-again. The cost? $5000 USD just to get home!!! I don't have that kind of money...

So she tried a different way and was able to lower the fare to $1200 USD. So I bought the tickets and got home.

Now comes the frustrating part of the story- dealing with Travelocity. Again we call to see about a refund. We get the run-around. They said write a letter to the customer support department and explain what happened, include proof of purchase etc etc. The people we called spoke in a heavy Indian accent, so I asked where were they located. They said in INDIA? It must be cheaper to hire people there than in the US, but I bet every dime they earn stays here. That is not the issue here though...

The dispute is ongoing. I doubt that I will see a dime in refunds, but this will be the last time I book anything through Travelocity. I have informed everyone we know and warned them not to be seduced by the low fares, it's not worth the risk. I have also forwarded this letter to our local newspaper in hopes of getting the ball rolling on some media attention.

On a positive note, our son Owen is doing much better and will fully recover. He should be home in a couple of weeks. I will be returning to the combat zone once he is discharged from the hospital.

I don't have to tell you that I booked return tickets through someone else...

Thanks, and I hope this helps.
    Ken B

• Fr
    Frank K Jan 19, 2008

Travelocity's salient feature is their arrogance not that you should expect anything better from a lawn ornament. Their attitude distills to taking a customer's money and ignoring the rest of the transaction. Misspelled names that create difficulty at the airport ... that is the customer's problem. Seating difficulties with the airline ... at least you got in the plane. And the all time favorite: "it has never happened before but we will investigate." Spend you money someone else. These folks need another calling.

• Fa
    fanoftravelocity May 24, 2010

I always have an amazing experience with travelocity maybe if you didnt hang up the first time you would have not had to call back more times...duh i mean they can not answer your questions if your not there for them to talk to...they are not their to wipe your [censor]! i think travelocity is for smart people, anyways seats on flts are not gauranteed i mean i have booked flts through the airline and have not gotten the seats i need. as for travelocity giving you tkts to a show...i mean really?? they dont not offer shows on their website why would they give it to someone like you? they gave you 50 off of travel what they are used for. i think that was pretty fair...anyways love travelocity the people are amazing, i always have a fantastic time no matter where i go. i think everyone should use travelocity! :)

• Pe
    Peaches1379 Oct 21, 2011

HORRIBLE! I used them for the first time yesterday and will NEVER use them again. They must outsource their customer no-service department to India, as I had to go through three reps in order to understand anyone. They wanted to charge me a 30.00 fee for changing my Delta ticket on top of the 150.00 change fee from Delta. I said, forget it, I'll call Delta. Called Delta and made the change, but when the new ticket came, there was an additional 50.00 added to the change fee. I called Delta and complained, spoke to a wonderful customer service rep who investigated the added charge. I learned that Travelocity charges Delta 50.00 for changing the ticket, BUT lists it on the itinerary as TAXES. Well, thank God for Delta, because the rep canceled my first ticket, then rebooked it with the Delta change fee only, and waived the Travelocity fee for 50.00. I understand this was a one-time courtesy, and am very grateful to Delta for understanding my plight. TRAVELOCITY needs to take their roaming gnome and stick it where the sun doesn't shine. PACK OF RIP-OFFS! STAY AWAY! FRAUD!

• Md
    mdtram31 Jun 03, 2016

I booked 2 round trip tickets in July for my honeymoon in January. There was a snowstorm that came through the night before our flight. Due to snow, the airport in Memphis canelled all their flights. We attempted to contact Travelocity to switch to a different flight so we could make our cruise. Customer Service told us to contact the airline, and gave us a number. The number they gave us was only for the hours of 8am to 5pm. Our flight was supposed to be at 630am. We had purchased travel insurance through Travelocity, so we called them back to use it. Customer Service again gave us a different number to call. When we called it, we were told that the travel insurance we purchased doesn't help with something like this, so we couldn't use it. We ended up having to by 2 one-way tickets that were as expensive as our round-trip tickets and never got reimbursed for the flight that was cancelled. Attempts to contact the company in regards to this have lead no where. DO NOT USE TRAVELOCITY. Despite their commercial which assure you they have 'hassle free' travel plans, it is not true.

hotel reservation at travelocity was a mistake!

Using Travelocity to book hotel reservations in Hawai'I was a mistake. When we needed an extra day on our package, the hotel confirmed the reservation but told me only Travelocity could book it. When I called Travelocity, they couldn't find the reservation and told me they couldn't book it. When I complained using their "Guarantee" service, I received an automated email message referring me back to the same phone number I had just called earlier. The best part is, I waited until arriving at the hotel and extended the stay on my own. I learned my room cost $25 a night LESS than the Travelocity "special" rate. i.e., it cost me $175 more to use Travelocity.

Needless to say I won't book through them again.

• Mi
    michael eldridge May 26, 2007

Travelocityis a ripoff operation.

I had to cancel a hotel reservation in Bangkok 2 months prior to arrival date. The hotel cancellation policy was to charge $25.00 or one night room rate. Travelocity charged me for the full 4 night booking that I made. In my opinion, nobody should use an agent like Travelocity.

Mike Eldridge

website misleading price quotes

I am writing this letter in order to complaint and make others aware of the misleading price quotes given by...