Thredupthredup is stealing clothing & money from consumers

L

Thredup is an online resale shop. The premiss is you order a bag from their website and fill it with quality clothing then send it back and thredup will pay you for the clothing. However, what they won't tell you is that you will receive only pennies for brand new clothing you send in. I sent in 3 bags, about 150 items, of mostly brand new with tags Gymboree and Gap. Thredup paid me less than $1 for almost every item and didn't pay me for some of the items. After numerous emails and phone calls, thredup refused to pay me a reasonable amount for my clothes. I notified every consumer complaint site I could find. The San Fransisco Attorney General's Office opened a criminal investigation into thredup after I complained to them. Thredup responded to my BBB complaint with a lie. Here it is:
On July 26, 2013, the business provided the following information:
At the time Leanne shipped three bags of clothing to thredUP there was a period of time in which our price calculator was not operable. This was a bug we were aware of and actively fixing. Over the weeks that had elapsed from the day we received Leanne's clothing and the day we fully processed the items, the price calculator was fixed and was working again.

In addition to our price calculator we have our bag feed showing what other customers have earned for their clothing (http://www.thredup.com/bags/feed). This feed is live and is in no way manipulated to inflate payouts. Lastly, it is stated in multiple places that thredUP may not be the most profitable way to earn money by selling used clothing because we pay up to 40% of the resale value.

In efforts to resolve this issue, I explained I would double-check and correct any mistakes made on the pricing of the items we accepted, and offered to pay for the 20+ items we did not accept based on what would've been earned. This equated to an additional $45. I apologize but an additional $45 is still the only offer I can provide.

Leanne has continued to contact other organizations in efforts to resolve this issue. Now damages have exceed $300.

Daniela

MY RESPONSE SENT TO THE BBB:

Daniela states with this response, that there was a problem with the website that they were aware of before I sent in my bags. I started emailing Thredup with questions a month before I sent anything to them. AFTER I complained on Gymboree's facebook website because of what little reimbursement I received for clothing I sent to Thredup, I was then contacted by a representative of Gymboree who then, on my behalf contacted Thredup to forward my complaints. It was well after several exchanged emails and finally a phone call from Daniella, where I made her aware of the website issues (which she told me thredup had been UNAWARE of), that the website issues were finally repaired--more than 2 months after she says they were aware and trying to correct it?? They were aware of the problem for sure! There had been no attempt to repair the website because in doing so, people would have been able to see how little Thredup was paying for clothing and no one would have sent anything to them!! It has been their intent all along to keep customers from discovering their true payout amounts. Sure, thredup had a few posts on their website showing what other were paid for their clothing. These posts clearly showed thredup paying a lot of money for even used clothing. I went by those posted statistics (which was all that was available at that time)--thinking I would receive even more money since what I was sending in was brand new with tags attached clothing. As far as Daniela's statement regarding people being able to make more money sending in used clothing because they pay up to 40% of the value, is absolutely absurd!!! Since when is used clothing worth more than brand new clothing?? If that was the case, every store would be a resell store and there would be no market for new clothing. Daniela made an utterly ridiculous statement regarding that. Daniela did go through my payout amounts and found many that were inaccurate. She offered an additional $45 for those errors which is nothing considering I had sent in about 150 mostly new designer clothing items. This works out to about an additional 30 cents per item. It does not even begin to reasonable compensate me for my clothing. Initially, when I requested an additional $300 over what thredup had said they would pay me, I was trying to make a point. I wanted them to take full responsibility for their deception. I was asking very little reimbursement. However, after thredup refusing to properly compensate me and discovering many other people who were victims of Thredup's scheme, I asked for a more accurate compensation. This was a deliberate tactic on Thredup's part to deceive customers, pay pennies for valuable clothing, then resell it on the Thredup website for a HUGE profit--all without the customer's being able to accurately discover what they would be paid PRIOR to sending clothing to Thredup. I want to be compensated the full monetary loss for my clothing. In addition, after filing my complaint with the Better Business Bureau, I continued to pursue the case and notified the San Francisco District Attorney's Office. They found enough evidence to open a criminal investigation into Thredup's business. It is very clear that Thredup designed their business to scam people in order to make a huge profit reselling clothing sent in from unsuspecting people. It is only because of my continued pursuit of my complaint, that Thredup repaired their website to disclose more information regarding payouts. However, if that disclosure had been made PRIOR to my sending in my clothing, I would never have sent them anything!! I am still seeking an appropriate compensation for my clothing, as well as an end to Thredup's website.

• Ji
    jieunlee911 Sep 13, 2020

They took 6m to process my boxes. I sent in a lot of premium designer clothing. They are listing it for like 20-30% of the original price then giving me 7% of what they are listing it for so getting like $2 for something that cost me a lot of $$ stuff with tags on.

• Mi
    Michel! Oct 25, 2019

They literally stole my items and listed them on the site for sale without giving me credit. This company is horrible!

• As
    Ashlen Sep 24, 2019

I sent a bag of about 25 items - most of which were brand name and in new and/or great condition. I was told that nothing in my bag was sellable, and that everything would be donated.

A few months later - I found a few of my items on their website. The EXACT same items I donated and they were selling them for a high price. There were a pair of Steve Madden wedges that I KNOW were mine because of a tiny defect on the heal that I recognized in the photo. In fact - a DKNY sweater I sent them is currently listed and there's no question that it's mine.

They stole my items and are now selling them for a profit.

• Mi
    Michel! Oct 25, 2019

@Ashlen They literally stole my items and listed them on the site for sale without giving me credit. They listed the stolen items the same time as the other items they accepted. This company is horrible!

• Th
    The Kidman Sep 01, 2019

I was about to use your service to clean out my closet and then I saw an ad with Nike on it. I absolutely refuse to do any business with companies that use Nike in anyway in tv or print ads-EVER!

• Su
    Susan Stoyanoff Jul 31, 2019

We need to stop them !!! They did the same to me and told me when I didn't agree that the transaction is irreversible. let get together and submit group complaint - if we are more people maybe the Department of Consumer Affairs will be able to stop them.

• Al
    Alicia Thompson Trotter Oct 20, 2018

When my bags were cleaned out and posted to my account I noticed two of the Coach bags were missing. Mind you my bags are like new, hardly used. One of the missing bags also included a matching Coach wallet, with has since been sold. I immediately reached out to them and their response was that it was determined that the bags were either too stained or damaged to sell. This was an outright lie because the bags were in excellent condition, just like the wallet they sold! I offered to pay to have them returned to me but was told I had to specify that when the bags were sent to them. Had I had any inkling that they would act like my items were in any way damaged I would have specified return my items to me. I know what condition my items were in. But if they were in such poor shape why should they profit from selling my bags instead of me? It's just extremely shady! Like I said before they are either going to sell them out or someone there is using them. This ordeal has left me feeling scammed.

• Th
    Thred UP Aug 21, 2018

Pending receipt of refund for 2 skirts returned to Thred UP on 04/16/18. (items did not fit)

Item # [protected]
    Item # [protected]

• Cs
    csfngy Aug 14, 2018

i tried to activate my visa card and it's not going through

• Hl
    HLin Dec 01, 2017

Call the District Attorneys Office and file a formal complaint I already did that a few years ago regarding the same thing, they were investigated

• Le
    Leanne F Aug 01, 2013

You obviously didn't read what the thredup representative said in her response to the BBB complaint. To use your analogy--she is saying that a used car is more valuable and can be sold for more money than a new car--and we are not talking comparing a refurbished vintage corvette or 1957 chevy to a 2014 kia. She's trying to say that the reason why they aren't paying me and others a fair value for our new clothes is because they pay more money for used clothing which is more valuable than new clothing and they can resell on their website for more money than they can for new clothing. A blatant lie for two reasons: 1) I went to the site and saw they are selling new clothes for more than used clothes. 2) If used clothes are more valuable, then why are there so many stores selling new clothes and so few selling used? Now for the capitalism portion of your comment--I know all about capitalism. It's not about making the profit. It's about not disclosing to people what they would be paid for the clothing, keeping the calculator portion of their website ineffective so people couldn't determine what they would be paid, advertising big payouts for clothing sent to them, posting only the payouts where people were paid a lot of money and not posting those were they were paid pennies--fraudulent advertising and intentional deception. In addition, poor customer service where they don't answer people's questions or return messages and when they do answer the questions, they are deceptive. You have no business even commenting here as you are clueless as to all the details of this case. I have spent months investigating and speaking to people with the same complaints as me so don't talk to me about capitalism!

• Le
    Leanne F Aug 01, 2013

There wasn't a firm price. However, the thredup website posted what they paid other people for their USED clothing. By sending in brand new clothing with the tags still attached, I should have been paid a lot more than what they paid for used clothing. I wasn't. I was paid pennies per item. The website boasted paying top dollar for clothing. It was a blatant lie and a bait to get people to send clothing which thredup paid pennies for then turned around and sold for at times more than 100% of what they paid the person for it. Thredup knows exactly what they are doing and had and still has every intent to defraud the consumer. They have done this to many people and continue to get away with it. I aim to stop them and make people aware that they will be robbed if they send new clothing to thredup.

• Am
    amnes Aug 26, 2012

I sent big bag of good quality clothing for poor people to Thredup. I called them after some time to find out if they got the package. Some 2 times they told that bag is still not received. Then they told that it was lost. I think they have stolen all the clothing to resell. They don’t have heart…

• Pr
    priceco compare Jun 16, 2018

@amnes practically fraudulent site.