Having problems with The Pep Boys?

+1 800 737 2697 (Customer Service)
+1 888 418 2298 (Rewards Program)
+1 888 829 1420 (Rebates)
+1 888 396 8254 (Pep Boys Credit Card:)
+1 888 545 8532 (Property Management - Maintenance)
+1 800 553 5338 (Fleet Services)
+1 778 729 2855 (Bulk Sales)
3111 West Allegheny Avenue
Sat7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Sun7:00 AM - 7:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

Pep Boysrepair promise

I went to pep boys & spoke to the service manager Rodney Robinson. I told him i needed an oil pump installed in a 1996 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 5.2L. A three hour job. He agreed and instructed me to have the truck towed in. I did. Then he had all kinds of excuses why he didn't want to do it. This particular truck is the easiest oil pump to ever have to install. You don't have to raise the engine or anything. Needless to say i had to have it towed again and installed elsewhere. It took 3 hrs. Very simple. I want my tow money refunded & they refuse

• Ed
      Ed WC19382 May 30, 2014

Shop Fee $35.00 to change Alternator. + 51.50 Fee to remove & replace.+ $277. 19 for part.
      I also paid for $62.98 belt - NEVER Put On. (refunded in cash)
      (10% discount was given.)

• Pa
      patrickmk25 Feb 09, 2016

I have a few small problems with your complaint. One, in most vehicles the oil pump is the most difficult part to replace. Second, you mentioned not having to lift the engine or anything, at a shop where OSHA rules exist, they would still be required to do it the way the service manual details it. And third, how did you blow out an oil pump in the first place. I have owned 20+ vehicles over the years, most of them beater cars with half million miles on them, but none of them ever needed an oil pump

• Se
      Seth Estep Feb 13, 2016

hi I am currently a customer of Pep Boys I have had my car and Pep Boys for about a week and a half when I brought my car in that it was in bad shape I told them to fix whatever needed to be fixed so it would be safe for me and my family to you stay and move to another state they did roughly $2, 000 worth of work to my vehicle $300 in parts and $600 for labor an moreI left my house last night believing that there was no problem with my vehicle because Pep Boys is a multi-million dollar company that has the tools to tell you what is wrong with your vehicle well I guess if they do not but they are able to take all this money from us but not by the tools they need to take care of the cars well I left last night with me and my family I am a family of five with two animals I am on the Turnpike in Florida driving to my destination up in Indiana 3 hours and my trip my transmission went now why did they not tell me there was something wrong with my transmission why did they not fix it I pay them $2, 000 they should fix what needs to be fixed to make sure that me and my family a safe now me and my family are in a hotel in the middle of Florida not really knowing anywhere walking around spent $500 for two nights in this hotelroom now I am basically homeless I had a place to go if my car was able to make it what they told me it would so when all my money is going on me and my family are homeless and it is basically because of pep boys not doing the job that they promised not keeping me or my family safe it was ok that I was on the side of the highway at 1:30 this morning with me and my family cold not knowing if we were going to be safe I am safe now but I have no vehicle and they don't know if they are able to fix it so one person serves you tell me how its right that a company can do this to a person knowing they are leaving why would they not have made it safe my name is Seth estep and I'm not ashamed of anything this is the truth Pep Boys do the right thing fix my car the way that it needed to be fixed the first time don't make me and my family homeless please

Pep Boys Of Pisacataway, NJ — overcharging

Found I was overcharged for a serpentine belt (belt costs $11.11 and I was charged $55.48). It takes about...

Pep Boysruined my car and won't take responsabil

What car and the boys because it was overheating literally three hours the mechanic said that I need a new radiator and thermostat. I said okay since I'm not very well versed in auto repairs paid the $500 and said ok. We week later car overheats again I take it back to Pep Boys they said a little loose clamp I said okay. For five days later the car overheats. again this time I'm stuck on the road and car won't start. I'm sitting in the car looking in my rearview mirror and I'm about 50 feet away from being pulverize by a dump truck and im thinking I'm dead. Luckily the truck swerved from behind me and just misses me. I have the car towed to Pep Boys and they said that my head gasket blew from the car overheating. Spoke with the mechanic Pep Boys and he said that the second time the car overheated should have done more in check and see what the cause of the problem was Other than a loose clamp. Weighted six hours and finally got a hold of Karen who is the area district manager and she said they did everything they were supposed to but it wasn't their fault and then proceeded to hang up on me and has never called me back. Not taking responsibility for their actions and I'm stuck without a car I have lost about a weeks worth of work, my boss is not happy I am not happy that I'm looking at filing a lawsuit

• Mi
        Mike Toad Jul 05, 2013

Check this out

Comments

Pep Boysvery bad experience with pepboys

I have a 1996 Impala. I have had it for many years and never had any issues with it like i have had in the past year in a half. All work done in 2012. I took my car to Pepboys in Germantown MD. I had to have my master cylinder replaced, starter, and water pump replaced. within 3 months, i had to have the starter replaced again, due to faulty starter. 4 months after that I had to have my water pump replaced due to faulty water pump. In Aug 2012, I had to replace my starter again. in sept 2012 had to replace water pump again due to mechanic fault.. They also had to replace my radiator due to mechanic fault. December 2012 master cylinder went out and got into a crash due to bad master cylinder. Pepboys replaced the master cylinder, all my break line and gave me 2 new calibers for the back.[censored]. NOW, june 2013, my starter went out again. NEVER AGAIN.
      I suggest you do your research before taking it to them.

• Sh
          Shahryar khan May 20, 2014

I did my tire change at the pepboys by sunrise hwy in bayshore it's giving me problems I been there many times but seems they don't care .please i need this to be fixed

Pep Boys — battery diagnosis

I had to have my car jump-started because the battery was dead. I took it to Pep Boys for their free battery...

Pep Boys — my car 1995 kia sephia

I took my car in because it was making screeching noises as if there was a loose belt. On 1/28/13, I took...

Pep Boysthey broke my car!!

I took my chevy malibu 2000 to pep boys(red lion and blvd, phila, pa) last week cuz there was smth wrong with the fan, the car overheated. the guy infront charged me 54 $ for the diagnostics, and the next day when i called to find out if they found an issue, i was told they needed to run another diagnostic for a 100$. i agreed. the next day i had to call them, cuz no1 ever called be back and i was told that i have to wait till monday to find out the price of the detail i needed. on mon i called again! and they still were not able to tell me the exact price.Finally the next day they ordered the detail and i was promissed that it would be delivered on wed, and the car would be fixed in a day or two. i wasnt even surprised when no1 called me back on thur(that the deadline when the car had to be fixed), so i went there, and guess what i was told: call fri morning cuz theres a bigger issue than we thought!that when i started to loose my parience. on fri, they said they cant fixed it, and i have to take it to the chevy dealer, so i can pick up the car. i went to the store to pick it up, paid 154$ for the diagnostic with no repair!!!sat in my car, started it(tho motor sounded really weird, with intervals). it never sounded like that before!i was kind of worried. when i put it on drive the car wont go!!!i tried 3 times!the same!it stopped and wont move!!the guy who "took care" of the car all these days wasnt even there(his name is Josh, so be awear!!!) and he didnt even pick up the phone!another mechanic suggested to tow the car to the dealer and fix it there(really??u broke it and now i had to tow it??) or leave the car for another day!ppl, u cant even imagine how pissed off i was, i was almost having a nervous breakdown!i brought the car with 1 problem and now had 2(if not more!). and moreover the gas tank was empty, bt when i left the car there was half a tank!!!where is my gas i wondered!!!dont ever take ur cars to pepboys!they will break them and rip u off!!!

Pep Boysoverall

do not go to this pepboys. !!! warning !!! warning !!! after they screwed up my aliagnment they never tightened my lug nuts !! my family drove xmas day in the rain couldnt figure out why we kept loosing control. turns out pepboys left the lug nuts off my car and only hand tightened one lug nut... wooooow. thanks for almost killing my family pepboys. we called them from the side of the road they said " oops have it towed here well try to get u in to tighten them" !!! YOU DID THIS not me. today i ordered tires from them with an install online. i get there for my SCHEDULED app and they had no idea ! worste place on earth to go too. i took my tires and left now i go to a real auto repair shop that is proffessional with actual trained techs. not inbread hill billies. PEPBOYS WILL KILL SOMEBODY IN YOUR FAMILY ONE DAY.

95eclipsers Apr 12, 2013

So Pepboys left the lugnuts loose, and you STILL went back and bought tires from them?

Pep Boys 317 — fuel pump and rude behavior

fuel pump need to be replaced. Pep boys installed fuel pump, few days later put gas into car the check engine...

Pep Boys Tirespep boys rubs off manufacture date code

Pep Boys sells tires with the manufacture date code rubbed off. Tires are probably very old. Please always be sure to check for code (see G00gle if you're not sure how) and question them if code is absent.

• Qp
                qporjv piugh puhiu 2 Oct 31, 2012

95eclipsers Feb 22, 2013

There's a good chance that those tires were warranty tires that got put on your car. By accident or on purpose is another story. When PBY warranties tires they grind off the date code to show they were warrantied and should not be reinstalled. Taking this issue up with the shop itself would probably remedy the situation.

Pep Boys — 4 hours service

The pepboys auto care service at 38-50 21st street queens, ny. I bought my company car in yesterday for an...

Pep Boys Auto In Augusta - A Crappy Place To Get Your Car Fixed!!horrible service & job discrimination

At Pep Boys the customer service is lousy, unprofessional, plus the managers treat their own employees like crap (esp. blacks, often firing them for little to no reasons!!), and the technicians are not mechanically certified to repair cars (like Jiffy Lube they are trained while they work on your car!), the managers & employees are a bunch of idiots and don't last long there (high turnover due to poor job performances & incompetence), the mechanics usually mess up the work that they do, causing many customers to come back in to get the work done over again and again; which sometimes they never get it done right. And sometimes they deliberately damage customers' vehicles while being serviced at Pep Boys!! If you love your car, I wouldn't recommend sending it to Pep Boys Augusta, GA | 2728 Washington Road or the one on 1725 Gordon Hwy!!!

Pep Boysport jefferson ny pep boys bob is horrible

Take bob of port jefferson ny who picks a fight with a customer all because the customer was given the wrong order, then over charged, then asked to pay twice as much as previously promised, then late 1 week and then the old derelict picks a fight with a customer who merely points this out and referred to him as being unprofessional!! Then you complaint to their useless corporate offices who give you the same bs nonsense! They forward the complaint this clowns boss ivan who won't do anything to him and fails to get back to the customer complaining within the false promises of 48 hours! With autozone, sears, sts, firestone, mavis, goodyear, meineke, midas, and many many others who needs these unprofessional people!! Boycott and then maybe they will hire people who have an education level higher then their shoe size! Pathetic! If they have any response answer this and ask me to reply to their answer and you will see the same story! They are horrible! Any response?

Pep Boys — false rebate offer

Bought 4 new tires, installed, and allignment for $520.81. Was steered by Manager Anthony Burge to get the...

Pep Boys — wrongful termination

I was working as a technican for 8mo at pepboys and was let go for no reason but for being white. the manager...

Pep Boysproperty dammage and untrue repair advise

While my car was in for a tire rotation they scratched my driver side rear bumper. The Moreno Valley store referred me to their "corporate" location who has informed me that they will do nothing to right their wrong. In addition the Moreno Valley tech advised me that my car also needed struts and tires and that the tires were cupping. Not wanting to leave my car with them again (who knows what they would do to it this time) I checked around for strut replacement and was advised by Ford dealership and another repair shop that my car did not need struts and my tires were fine, just a bit over inflated.

Pepboys Auto/service Center — overcharge for labor

I waited for an acclimation of over 7 hours to have a simple repair done on my vehicle, which only took an...

Pep Boystire purchase

I needed tires for my car and kept putting it off as my busy schedule kept hacking away at my time. On the weekend I went to a local strip mall to a market and when I came out I had a flat. There was Pep Boys right next door to the market so having not much of a choice I had them put on four new tires. The price, which included new valve stems, was about what I expected to pay at the place I usually go for tires and I was going to get rid of the car in a few months anyway. They tried to include a front end alignment for 39.99 more and I told them to forget and just put on tires. They said it would be ready in one hour which was fine, so I was just going to hang out and wait...Well 15 minutes later the tech that was working on my car walks up to Jack in the Box and comes back with his lunch...So much for one hour. Two and a half hours later it's ready.
                    When I checked the work out the valve stems were so short that in order to put air in the tires you had to remove the trim ring on the rim...WT[censored] I pointed this out to the manager and he said those were the stems that were priced out and if I wanted longer stems I would have to pay labor to R&R the tires and the new stem cost. I mean they couldn't see this? We are talking valve stems here, not rocket science and the tech should have spotted this. I would have paid the difference. I gave them a huge ration in front of a lot of customers and left. I would not buy a shop rag from them now.

95eclipsers Feb 22, 2013

its pretty ridiculous trying to charge you more for longer valve stems (provided that' all they are is longer and not some high-pressue or chrome plated variety). Yes the tire guy should have noticed this. Alignments are usually recommended by most shops when tires are installed.

Pep Boys — refund

There is a serious problem with the Pep Boys in Orland Park, IL. I brought my car in on 3-24-12 to have front...

Pep Boys Of North Little Rockthese guys were attempting to pull a scam and were caught red handed

My windshield wiper motor on my 99 Jeep Wrangler went out after a recent rash of storms, and I went to Pep Boy's in North Little Rock to get it repaired. There were no other problems with my vehicle when I brought it in.

I was called by Pep Boy's approximately an hour later, and told that along with my wiper motor, a coolant leak was discovered. I was asked if I wanted the leak source found and a diagnostic check run for $35.00. Due to an upcoming long distance road trip, I authorized the check for the leak.

I was called an hour and a half later, and told that there was a problem with my water pump, and that they recommended a new pump and hoses. Since I had not seen a leak at anytime before, and I had a new water pump put into my Jeep 9 months earlier, I declined, and went to go pick up my vehicle with my new wiper motor.

Upon arriving at the facility, I paid for the parts and labor (an unbelievable $275.00!) and walked out to my Jeep. I looked under the jeep with my friend, and saw a huge amount of coolant on the ground. I opened my hood and found that the radiator cap was missing! I also discovered that 2 of the screws that hold the cowling panel where the wiper motor is located were missing, and the rubber seal around the hood was not back in place. I notified the manager, and after looking around the shop for the missing cap, he came outside and AMAZINGLY found the cap just to the side of the radiator in plain view. The funny thing is that it was not there until he came outside! I left the shop and proceeded to tell my friend who is a certified mechanic what had happened.

We returned to Pep Boys and my friend questioned the mechanic who worked on the Jeep several questions about pressurizing the radiator to locate a leak, and that a leak could be caused by over-pressurization of the radiator. The mechanic was dumbfounded and related that there was a distinct possibility this could have happened. Pep Boys got paid $35.00 to damage my car.The mechanic replaced the screws and rubber seal, but I was not compensated further.

These guys were attempting to pull a scam and were caught red handed. Do not go to this Pep Boys!

• Th
                          The Ogre Feb 10, 2012

Just out of curiosity why didnt you have your friend the mechanic fix it?

• Mr
                          Mrmechanic Apr 28, 2012

Your a ###. If your friends such a master mechanic why go to pep boys anyways?