The Hartford Financial Services Group Logo

The Hartford Financial Services Group

Having problems with The Hartford Financial Services Group?

+1 860 547 5000 (Customer Service)
+1 888 546 9099 (Quotes (Sales)
+1 877 805 9918 (AARP Auto & Home Claims)
+1 877 687 1279 (AARP Glass Claims)
+1 800 423 6789 (AARP Auto)
+1 800 322 7789 (ATV / Golf Cart / Snowmobile)
+1 877 621 4981 (Spanish)
+1 877 422 2345 (Home Insurance)
+1 800 296 7542 (Flood Insurance)
+1 888 925 3137 (Small Business Insurance Program)
+1 855 829 1683 (Business Insurance)
+1 866 467 8730 (Business Insurance Service Center)
+1 877 287 1316 (Payroll Billing Service)
+1 800 327 3636 (Commercial Auto Claims)
+1 888 656 0817 (Fidelity & Surety Bonds)
+1 800 231 5453 (Hartford Variable Life)
+1 800 243 5433 (Hartford Traditional Life)
+1 888 843 7824 (The Hartford Mutual Funds)
+1 866 574 3542 (College Savings)
690 Asylum Avenue
Hartford, Connecticut
AARP Auto Insurance Program
P.O. Box 14215, Lexington, KY 40512

Complaints & Reviews

Resolved Rates too high

As a former insurance agent I feel your products and pricing is too high. We are group that would off-set any long term expenditures. However, I feel you are just a money hungry organization; like the other insurance company's in America. As a senior, disabled veteran I feel you are just using AARP as a means to generate profits rather than to benefit this sector of society. Someone needs to evaluate your business practices.

• 1s
    1sg King Ret.USA Sep 09, 2011

SCAM ALERT!!!The Hartford/AARP insurance will increase your premiums with no justification.Home and auto.

Premium charge

My home insurance policy went from $1300 to $2000 because Hartford changed the fire protection provider from...

Resolved Worker's Comp Adjuster Conducted Fraud

The Hartford worked a Worker's Comp settlement for GES after I sustained an on the job work injury. My claim representative at Hartford basically withheld vital doctor's transcriptions of my prognosis and medical condition and essentially told me that he supported a fraudulent settlement with GES's attorney - but that "it was out of his hands" because although he was aware of the fraud, it was the attorney who made the settlement offer and it was not his responsibility. A very dishonest company.

Used deceptive sales practices

When I called The Harford requesting a "quote" for auto insurance, at no time did the agent notify me that they would do a credit check. As a result of this, they listed four derogatory statements in the reply letter. The DIRECTOR, Susan L. Castaaneda, refused to answer my letter, instead a Melissa Giard called me and stated that they had done nothing wrong. Subsequently, I received a form letter for Ms Castaneda directing me to sign-up for auto insurance. I also filed a complaint with the BBB in CT, but to no avail. This is a case of deception by the sales agents of the Hartford.

Resolved untrustworthy, bogus insurance company

I had complete automobile insurance through AARP's Hartford for several years. In fact, I paid more in insurance costs than my vehicles were actually worth. In 2006, a limb fell from a tree, damaging one of these cars. The Hartford covered the damage but cancelled the collision portion of my policy. All other coverage remained intact. In 2007, I was hit head-on by a careless and debilitated driver; my car was totaled. I was seriously injured. Even though I have been dealing with a lawyer since the day of the accident, The Hartford has done all in their power NOT to help me. Their first lawyer, a little rat, offered me $4000 last summer--three years after the wreck. My lawyer told him where r, to go. Now The Hartford has another lawyer. I am into the FOURTH YEAR of NOT HAVING ANY CAR. I am 60 years old. I have lost the use of my right hand from the 2007 wreck, and I was an educator, musician, and writer. Meanwhile, I repeat: The Hartford is doing all they can NOT to pay me anywhere near my policy limits. I even have a $25, 000 damage clause for underinsured drivers; THAT is being completely overlooked. I've tried to talk to AARP about the misrepresentation they have put forth regarding The Hartford's "service, " but NOBODY at AARP deals with The Hartford. You can only talk to a rep from The Hartford. As the kids say, WTF?!! You know that Hartford logo of the big stag with the huge rack? They need to revise it to show that deer shoving his rack up our rumps. How can AARP back a company that deliberatly stalls and cloys to avoid helping us seniors? Again, I ask: WTF?

• Nu
    Nutmeger Jul 26, 2011

So sorry for all your aggravation and injuries.You should pair up with the other gentleman that posted about the Hartford and maybe jointly write ti some persoin at AARP or even the Board.They absolutely need to see the light on this and should work with an honorable company.Frankly the association kind of turned me off of AARp, I guess a loss of faith in them to a degree. I wish you well, stay on top of your lawyer too.

Resolved Auto Insurance

I sent this letter to The Hartford in response to their 'new lower rates' promo they sent me: "The...

Resolved DISCRIMINATIOM

I Lessie Steve Britton, and Carol Jean Britton, have two exisiting POLICIES, with HARTFORD INSURANCE Company...

Ridiculous Rate increase

My letter to AARP Hartford Auto Insurance Company:
Dear Sir/Madam,
Recently it came time to renew my auto insurance.
Your insurance bill arrived in the mail on or around Jan. 25th, 2011. The due date was indicated as Feb. 4th, 2011. I had received no other bills or announcements of payments due.
The amount due with no options for extension of payments over time was an outrageous $1397.00 whereas the year of 2010 was bad enough at $1166.
I doubt you’ll take the time to review this policy which I am happy to say will be cancelled effective tomorrow, but if you do, you will see that my needs/requirements for auto insurance are minimal. Nothing had changed in my driving life to elicit such an enormous increase in premium...actually at the least it should have remained static since my little finance-free car’s book value right now is about $7500 on a good day.
I do not commute to work and I am the sole driver with a “superior” rating.
The fact that AARP (who will be hearing from me as well) permits and even supports your company in offering auto insurance is almost grounds for me to be leaving that organization.
I sought help from an agency in the Tampa Bay area who located a policy with improved coverage, an A++ rating from JD Power and a business track record dating from 1916. The price for this policy from Southern Owners Insurance Company paid in full (always my election, though, unlike your company, they do offer incremental payments) is a mere $885.67.
The difference is unconscionable and you can be sure that all my friends will be advised to go nowhere near your company for current or future policies.
Call me potentially paranoid and very possibly judgmental, but is it possible you are banking on some perceived “fact” that your customer base is aged and addled and might just pay up without a fight?
You definitely guessed wrong in this case. And if I were you, I’d revisit this business plan altogether.

• 1s
    1sg King Ret.USA Sep 09, 2011

T he Hartford also increased my vehicle policy by $100.00 and my homeowners policy by$45.00, with no reason.When I inquired I was told it was because everone got an increase.I don't buy it!They're shafting seniors with no explanation!After I contact a few organizations, I will be insurance shopping."DO NOT TOLERATE THIS ACTION"

Resolved Auto damage

I have been insured by The Hartford through AARP for over nine years without a claim. They insure my home...

Resolved over charge

the hartford auto ins. continuely over charged my ins. account. i requested that they would give me only what the state requirments where. beleiving they where a reputable company beause aarp is their sponcere like a fool i assumed their charges where right, only to find out later that through another insurance provider that i was charged twice the amount from the hartford compared to my present insurance company, folks dont be mislead call around you save a bundle for the same coverage

Resolved Ins. (lack of) coverage

Hello - I'm not an AARP member but writing on behalf of my Mother, who is. Her and my Dad (who has passed away) have been members for 20 - 25 years. They have their home owners insurance through you (Hartford) also and have been paying premiums for the duration without once collecting on anything. This leads to my complaint; there was a hard thunder/lightning storm that hit over my Mom's house last week and blew out her TV and console control on her treadmill. She called me about what to do and I ran through all the service manuals and suggested checking circuit breakers etc. The result was blown TV and treadmill. I suggested she call her Ins. company. She did and they said she'd get a call back by 4:00 the next day (after taking her claim). 5:00 came around and no call so she called back, leaving a message. She got a call within 3 minutes stating we were in meetings (come on). Anyway, she was told because the lightning did not hit her house, the TV and treadmill were a loss and even if the treadmill were fixed, there was a $250 deductible she'd have to cover. This was a used treadmill I got for my Mom not costing that. All she wanted was help getting it back to working and after paying premiums all these years, that seems like the LEAST you could do. I have All-State Ins. and a similar thing happened to me and I got a TV, computer, DVD player replaced and they even asked if I lost any groceries in the fridge when the power went out. Needless to say, I've suggested to my Mom to look elsewhere for her Ins. seeing how she isn't "covered" adequately, and I have no intentions of becoming a member, even though I'm turning 59 in a few days.

Sorry this is lengthly and I'd appreciate it if you'd pass this on to someone who might be able to do something about it if your not that person.

Bob Cayia

Resolved Customer Service

Heaven help you if you must contact The Hartford for help with your annuity. You cannot speak with a live person when you call. You reach an automated system with no option to speak to anyone unless you keep pushing random buttons on the phone like an idiot. And when you do reach someone, he/she inevitably tells you you've called the wrong 800 number. And no, they will not transfer you, you must hang up and go through the same automated system again. It is a nightmare! I have been on the phone 20 minutes and counting and still do not have the information I need. I will never do business with this company again!

• Jm
    Jmacck Sep 15, 2010

Have you called the person who sold you the annuity? The licensed representative who put you into the annuity should be the first person that you call for help. As a financial services rep. I can cut through the red tape with any of the companies that I represent.
    My best advice to you is to call a local advidor who deals with The Hartford, which is generally a good company, and ask him or her to intervene on your behalf.

• Un
    unhappycustomer #1 Apr 27, 2011

I'm not satisfied with their customer service either. I recently tried to cancel an auto policy and was told I could not do this via internet or telephone. So I spoke with customer service who mailed me a cancellation form to fill out. I filled out the form and returned it promptly . This was received by them on 4/6/11 according to them . Now, they have you show when you obtained other coverage (effective date) which was 3/19/11 . I had an ACH withdrawl scheduled for 4/10/11, but did they cancel.. no. Instead they debited my account and of course since they were not supposed to do this I didn't have enough money in the account. Which by their own addmission is several days after they received my cancellation notice. They said that billing was not made aware of it ?? What the F??? This is the information age and here I am getting billed for something that has been cancelled retroactively to 3/19/11. Now, they said we our going to get a check sent out on 4/29/11, but it will not cover your NSF fee from your bank only your credit for the time from the 19th onward. So, now because of their A) not being able to cancel online, B) not being able to cancel via telephone, and C) not processing information for days to stop withdrawing money from an ACH account . I now have to get a statement denoting the fees charged from my bank and fax it to them to hopefully get reimbursed ( which I did already and they said they did not receive it) . Now, check the dates cancelled by their own admission 4/6, check being sent 4/29 ? Over 3 weeks to return what they owed me, plus the other fees charged by my bank hoping to collect after jumping through hoops. Well, safe to say I 'm sure not recommending these folks . I bet if I had a claim it would be a nightmare .

FRAUD

We were shopping around for replacement car, home owners and umbrella insurance. We were sick to death of State Farm and their crap, so for what we were paying for insurance decided to seek out a new company. We have excellent credit and no chargeable accidents. We contacted AAARP and got a Hartford Insurance quote. They LIED about everything. We have the phone calls on tape and the emails to back up our complaint. Bascially, the representative on behalf of Hartford LIED about everything that he said and even committed in writing because when the invoice came in for the final bill EVERYTHING was DIFFERENT. We do not do business with FRAUDS! Since we charged the amount of the invoice on a credit card, we immediately placed the amount in dispute and obtained other insurance immediately with Amica. Be careful folks and do things to protect yourself. Get it in writing. Get it audio taped (if possible) and then charge it so if there is a problem you can dispute it under the Federal consumer laws (Chase was great in helping)! Meanwhile, I want nothing to do with State Farm, or Hartford Insurance until they learn to tell the truth and stand by their contracts.

• Ih
    I Hate Hardford Apr 30, 2011

Hartford Insurance stole over $2, 300.00 from me. Because of a loophole they are more than willing and apparently able to do this. They added someone to my policy without my knowledge and didn't even have the persons d.l. number, dob or any other information...they just added her and started taking $500 to $600 or more out of my account!!!
    The supervisor I spoke to was rude and ignorant. Shame on them.
    I am starting a HartfordSucks website, look for it coming soon.

• Ti
    timhadit Jan 14, 2013

we are still waiting after more than 6 months for payment to repair our home after flooding from Tropical Storm Debbie

• Fl
    Flip Streetman Jul 09, 2018

Does Travelers Insurance Company partner with State Farm Insurance for "Equipment Breakdown or Home Systems Protection". I see Equipment Breakdown option for Travelers and a Home Warranty/Systems Protection for State Farm, BUT do they work together on a provision??? It has been advised me that are in the Mid-West. What about ILLINOIS homeowners? The fees they assess are very reasonable, too much so, in fact. What is the fine print? Do the two firms (together) offer a similar option to their home policy holders?

Feeling neglected Phil

Arrogant and poor service

I tried to open a retirement account with this company and was met with resistance and unresponsiveness to basic and general questions about how they do business. They also refused to give me the basic information I needed to adequately compare them to their competition. These problems occurred at all levels of supervisory position. It looks like their fees are much higher than the competition and their service has been poor to say the least. I went elsewhere.

Resolved Incompetency

Anyone out there have auto and home insurance with Hartford, the insurance for 55+ drivers, at a great rate and other conveniences? Well take heed, take notice and take the time to do some comparing of insurances, not only is health insurance and prescriptions cost after the 55+ group, so is Hartford. They take your money in premiums and if you have an accident or a problem in the home, your chances of getting any kind of service, especially in the state of Maryland, is null. Their premiums are so high and the service is soooooo bad. After paying for just 5 months shy of 3 years premiums of $225+ (increased by 10-20 every year) I was involved in an auto accident and I was fully charged with the accident. No grace, no forgiveness given me even with my good driving record and no accidents at all. Premiums were 30% greater than last year; I was treated bad, and I mean bad by the claims rep. So I canceled the policy a month before renewal and they sent acknowledgment letter and they still took the first month renewal premium and told me I would have to wait until next Tuesday to get the money back. Something really needs to be done about this company. Anyone else treated like or similar to this? Anyone have any suggestions. I've since changed my insurance company and I'm, at this time, very pleased.

• Ar
    Ariadne Mar 23, 2011

I have Hartford though AARP. It was the most cost effective insurance at the time. They clearly state that you must have an accident-free driving record for 5 years (3 of which must be with Hartford.) If you are in a accident in which you are not at fault, it's important to see what your particular state's laws are regarding policy increases.

I had one at-fault accident, and my rates did go up. But they would have gone up for me if I were insured with any one else, either. I'm going to shop around to see if I can find a better deal, but that is MY responsibility, not Hartford's. They handled the claim adequately and fairly.

Hartford's Policies are aimed at 55+ drivers with accident-free records. That is why the rates are so low. I am not an insurance specialist, but it seems to me that if you don't fit that criteria, you are going to be penalized --perhaps even more than another insurance policy which is distributing the costs amongst a much greater number of less-than-perfect drivers. As such, it may make sense to shop your options regularly.

Resolved accident not caused by me, but am paying the &price for it.&

The letter below was sent to Accident REcords Bureau, as well as our insurance company: THE HARTFORD...and the other driver's insurance sompany, ALLSTATE.
we also attached a picture showing the damage to our car..
there is great inconsistencies...the police officer who arrived at the scene, ...did not witness anything...his report is false..and we found out from Allstate that the woman driver who was speeding .and who hit us...said that I was parallel parking and backing up when the hit occurred.
I want to know if the Accident Bureau will take into account, my amended report...which is the honest to God truth...
My insurance has been raised...through no fault of my own...

below is the letter...I do not have a scanner, and cannot submit pictures of the damage...but this can be sent to the proper authorities...to further prove that the damage to my car and the false reports...are inconsistencies...

Attention: Accident Records Bureau

Dear Sirs,

My claim number is: PA 8556538.

This letter is to explain what actually happened on Sunday, April 26, 2017, at approximately 11:45am in front of 1825 Merrick Road in Merrick, NY.

I was waiting on the shoulder to enter into the first left traffic lane, while my left flasher was blinking. My Honda Civic was stationary, and I waited as four cars approached and passed by me without any problems, until the fifth car—a white car-- hit me with a glancing blow on the outside of my left, rear bumper, tearing off pieces of that bumper, gouging holes in the bumper, as well as destroying the glass that covers the left, rear signal light.

The white car was going at such an extremely high speed, that the driver was unable to stop the car until a good distance away from my still-stationary car.

I left my car, as my wife waited by our car, and I approached the white car that hit me; but the driver was nowhere to be found. A few seconds later, she came out of some store, and was very angry, claiming that I hit her car, which was impossible, because as I stated above, I was NOT moving, while waiting to enter traffic lane.

The driver said she was not going to call the police, for whatever her reasons. I then called 911 on my mobile phone to report the accident.

Police Officer Gerry arrived on the scene. I gave him my license, registration and insurance card. And he requested my wife to give him her non-driver’s license Identification card, which she did.

I explained to Office Gerry exactly what I have explained here in this letter, and then the officer took the other driver’s statement, and then came back over to my wife and me and said that everything would be in his accident report.

I request that Officer Gerry’s accident report be amended, because the description depicts me as a contributor to the accident.

I should not be held liable for an accident that I did not cause, since my car was hit from behind.

I have attached a picture showing the damages done to my Honda Civic.

Sincerely,

Steven L. Bentley

Maison Jan 14, 2011

In the begining of December i had a trailor stolen off my property.I used this trailor to keep and store tools and materials i didnt have room for in my shop.

I called The Hartford and opened a claim for the tools and materials to reimburse me for the loss.Justin Koutros told me since i didnt use the trailor for work and was an extension of my shop out back to fill out the forms and fax them back to him, he wanted manuals and receipts to show proof i did in fact own over 10k worth of stuff in the trailer.I have receipts since 1990 and over half the manuals for the tools and equipment i own so thank god i was a pack rat for that.He wanted me to seperate a list of work tools from personal property tools which i did he said the 2500 would cover the work tools and the rest of the tools had a 100%recoup so after i payed for the replacement tools they would reimburse me the difference of depreciation.

I was not able to remember everything i had in the trailor but was able to come up with over 13K worth of tools and materials-(receipts and manuals to prove it)- and i didnt even claim the dmg to the trailor as i dont move it anyways its for storage 98% of the time.

Justin told me that after he got the fax id get the check and could go replace everything within the week after he sent the check out.

Fast forward to today: it has now been over a month and i have a check for $2500 for the work tools and another for $882 to cover the other tools they consider around the house tools.

My request for a list of how they come up with whats considered "around the house tools", how they price items, a copy of the policy, still have not been shown to me.All i was told was i have 180 days to except the payments or the claim will be closed.

So from what im being told and shown if your house burns down or you get robbed even if you do have proof of what was lost in the disaster your limited by whatever this company wants to pay and they use there own formulas that are secret and cannot be disclosed.

unlike others maybe who just take what they give i cannot, i am now forced to try and take this to courts so i can get put back to whole again before the theft happened which according to the insurance commissioner is the duty of the company.

My opinion is if your thinking of using THE HARTFORD you should definatly shop around .I know i will be.

• Th
    THEHARTFORD May 01, 2011

Do not buy insurance with this company, you will be sorry.

They deny 100% of all disability claims. They Claim they never receive paperwork non-stop.

They will ask that you pay them back when you switch to social security, but the payback is MORE than what they paid YOU!!! They do this around TAX TIME and sell your FAKE DEBT to 3rd Party Debt collectors. They act VERY COY when you try to get them to acknowledge basic information.

DO NOT BUY INSURANCE WITH THIS COMPANY, YOU WILL BE SORRY.

• Mu
    Mumbz Jun 02, 2011

I recently received the enclosed ‘Lower Rate Notice’ from you. The only ‘lower rate’ I am interested in was the one I had with you before you cancelled my policy. In January 2017, having almost no income, I did not have the full amount for the payment requested on the statement you sent me that was 3 times what I normally paid (under the guise of being an annual deposit) and I paid only my regular monthly amount. You promptly sent that back to me with a notification that you cancelled my policy. This happened after I had requested copies of all my many years of policy and payment history because your billing amounts are irregular and I could never get the amounts you wanted, to balance with what I paid and what you said I owed. No matter what I thought I had paid in advance I was never paid in advance according to you and frequently accrued late fees because you said I still owed you money. After being a customer for many years I felt it was unnecessary for you to be charging me an annual deposit like any new client. That shows your loyalty is only to the almighty dollar and not your customers. After cancelling me and while I was searching for new insurance, you were then more than happy to provide me a quote with a ‘new rate’ that was almost $100 more per month.

You are rip off artists and I want to get the word out. I plan on doing that via the internet by explaining just what you did in order to inflate my premium and then cancel it. And in order to renew it I would be paying 1 ½ times what I had been. THAT is no discount.

I have moved on and gotten insurance elsewhere, you are thieves, do not contact me any further. I think AARP needs to know how you do business as well.

Sincerely..."

That about says it...don't trust them..it sounds good but they *** you around and instanteously cancel your policy when you start asking questions...I have had car insurance for 41 years and have NEVER been cancelled until now.

• Nu
    Nutmeger Jul 26, 2011

Not surprised at all. You are very correct in stating the almighty dollar is all that matters--as it is with them! Having had prior experience with them I cringed when I saw the association with AARp-wish you every success in spreading the word, esp to AARP! Simply put on top of the price/premium issues, the care and benefits you think you are getting, may even count on --well guess what.And yep there are no scruples at all.

Good Luck!

Resolved 3 times the rate of State Farm

After seeing ads on TV for AARP auto inssurance through Hartford and the claims of lower fees, I contacted hartford for an estimate. My current rate at State Farm is $500.00 per year. Hartford would be $1, 500.00 per year. Three times as much. The ads on TV are false and both Hartford and AARP should not be allowed to advertise.

• Th
    Thaumathurgist Jun 29, 2009

I aree with this post.
    I had been insured by AARP HArtford for 10 and their rates went up significanly.Last yar they cherged me $ 1550 and ths year they jumped to 2300, so I cancelled and went with Nationwide for 1200.
    Others ranged from 1000 to 1600.
    AARP should investigate their methods and ads. They LIE!

• Wp
    Wpayton5599 Mar 21, 2011

When a company says that can save you 40% or whatever it is, that number is based on a general nationwide average, and it involves several discounts applied to your insurance. It is not really false advertising because there are clear disclaimers at the bottom of each ad. If you guys are happy, stick with your current insurance company. Give your agent a call to let them know that you are staying with them. They may reward you for your loyalty!

Hail damaged roof-refusal to pay replacement cost

Roof damaged by hail - 6/15/2008 / replace estimate 7/7/2008. Estimator for Hartford-Crawford & Co., Charleston, WV. Written estimate was wrong. It did not allow for labor, disposal & local material cost. Estimate by two WV licensed contractors was double. Hartford refused to OK replacement. Ignored one contractor's attorney and finances did not allow me to hire an attorney(his fee would be more than replacement cost). Hartford's Northeast Property Claim Operations refused to reconsider or listen. Very poor handling of my claim, almost like we were dumb hillbillies and treated the same. Claim is not settled almost a year later, I am disabled, couldn't pay for the job myself and no excuse can be made by Hartford as I followed all the rules. I have all names, numbers & correspondence. This company is taking advantage of the elderly and recommended by AARP.

Resolved Late billing & Cancellation Fee

On December 22, 2008 I received a notice from the State saying my vehicles were not insured. On December 29th...

Resolved Cancellation of Insurance

My father Bing Lambert Jr. has has insurance with the Hartford for several years and I have paid his premium...