Texas Direct AutoScam Artists

I have been dealing with Texas Direct Auto for the past 5 weeks. I was purchasing a Lincoln MKX for my wife and a Range Rover for myself. I had contacted salesman Jimmy Gloff through EBAY, where the car was listed, and told him that I was interested in the Lincoln. He immediately pulled the listing from EBAY and told me to deal directly with him. I later found out that this is so you can't file any complaints with EBAY.
He told me to send him a $500 non refundable deposit to hold the car before financing had even begun. I refused to do so and the next day he told me that financing was approved. I then sent him $1, 300 to cover the $500 deposit and $800 for shipping. The following day I told him that I wanted to purchase a Range Rover for myself. Once again he wanted the $500 deposit without financing approval. I explained once again that I wanted financing before I send any money. The next day Mike Tooley, from the financing department, called me to say that I was approved on the Range Rover. I then sent them $1, 300 for the deposit and financing.
They sent all paperwork for financing and warranties. I signed everything and sent two cashier's checks totaling $14, 000. On November 9, 2009 I was told that the cars would be shipping out and that delivery would be in about 7 days. Several days went by and I never heard anything from them. I called and left messages for Jimmy Gloff (Salesman), Mike Tooley (Financing), Gary Maze (Sales Manager), and Todd Yarborough (Financing Director) without response from anyone.
When I did finally get in touch with someone they just pushed me off to someone else and said that it wasn't their problem. I was then again told that my cars were shipping prior to Thanksgiving and would be there so that I could drive them on my 7 hour trip. The cars failed to show up again and I finally got in touch with Mike Tooley. He said that something has happened and that Capital One wanted to see my tax returns since I was 1099. I explained to Mike Tooley that I was 1099 weeks ago and found it strange that nobody wanted proof of income. Mike told me that once he had that the cars would be released in a day. I sent that over and got no response for days again. When I did get in touch with Mike the financing company now wanted 3 months of bank statements. No problem he told me, would be resolved in a day.
It is now December 4th and I have no resolution and no response. I have left several messages with Todd Yarborough, Gary Maze, and Mike Tooley. Gary Maze, the sales manager, told me that this was not his responsibility as he just did sales. It's now been over a month since this all started and I sent them close to $17, 000.
They also would not ship the Lincoln MKX even though there were no issues for the financing. Even though I paid separate $800 fees for shipping they wanted to wait until both cars were ready to save themselves money.

This company is the most unorganized bunch of crooks I have ever dealt with. Nobody will step up and take responsibility and just push it off to the next person. This company should be shut down. No telling how many financing laws they have broken during this process.

• Je
    Jeff9944 Mar 25, 2010

I've had friends that have been screwed over by car dealers and hiring an attorney definitely helps. They might be willing to work on a contingent fee, in which case they don't get paid unless they can recover for you. I think this lawyer is just trying to help. Hiring him or her might get better results than just chatting about the problem.

• Ji
    JimInAuburn Mar 25, 2010

Maybe he is related to the owner of Texas Direct Auto? If so, maybe he will take your money to sue them, but always loses, so you are out your car and your attorney's fees?

He really should start a class action lawsuit against these guys.

PS: Just joking about the first couple of statements. Dont want to get sued for libel.

• Da
    David Thimbonn Mar 06, 2010

Wow, and an ambulance chasing attny joins in the thread, disgusting.

• Di
    DiscoStu Mar 03, 2010

Wow, kind of like chasing ambulances but different!