Menu
TELUS
reviews & complaints

TELUS
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

296 complaints
96 resolved 200 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of TELUS. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
K
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I've been a customer with Telus for over 6 yrs now. Just last November I decided to buy a Blackberry because it is essential for the industry I work in. Approx three days ago I discovered my charger wasn't working. I took the phone in to a Telus Service Center at Portage Place in Winnipeg. I was told the charger portal on the phone was damaged, they'd have...

12:00 am

TELUS - fraud (watch on youtube)

I have recordings of Telus committing fraud against me on U tube, enjoy:

L

TELUS - Poor service

We had a Mr. Sam Sanduga come in today, Dec, 18th, to check our telephone service. He said it must be a broken wire and he would return in the afternoon to repair it. When he did not return we called him and he said it was not his job to fix it and told us to call 611! When we asked him why he did not call to tell us he was not returning he would not explain why he did not. When we called Telus they can not fit us in until Thursday. We are presently without any telephone service. What poor service!

12:00 am

TELUS - billing and harassment after cancellation

After being talked into trying multiple 'plans' with Telus Mobility, none of which reduced the monthly cost compared to a landline, I called in July and cancelled my account.

When I got yet another statement in August, I called twice that month and was told I was supposed to talk with a 'cancellation team' and that telling the customer service agent I reached after waiting in a 'cue' for about 30 minutes was insufficient to cancel my account.

When I paid my July statement in August, however, I was charged a $30 'reconnection fee', which I questioned since I was told the account wasn't cancelled.

I have also received statements in September and August although I haven't used my cell phone since July.

The Telus Mobility representative I dealt with during one to two calls in August literally had me in tears and at that point I literally had to ask him to pull me in contact with the 'cancellation team' in order to cancel my cell phone service.

I haven't used my cell phone since July, but the company will be referring my account to a collection agency and affecting my credit rating.

I have had a land line account with Telus for decades. I've never been treated like this by any other service company.

The customer service agents aren't there for customer service; they're marketers trained to technically keep the customer on the hook for more charges.

I have no option but to contact the CRTC about my experience; and I have no doubt that I am not alone. The class action suit regarding the 'Access fee' I've been charged for the years I had my cell phone account are but the tip of the iceberg.

Telus Mobility in my experience is synonymous with corporate coercion and greed.

4 comments
Aug 24, 2012 10:23 am

I too fell behind two months payments because of vacation etc, I received a nice letter stating if my services are suspended I will be charged a "50$" reactivation fee. This is the first time I've heard a company charging so much to reconnect you when in fact your account is not FULLY cancelled. If my account was cancelled and I wanted to reconnect then I could see a reconnection fee, but just for being suspended? Rediculus.

Mar 18, 2009 10:52 am

I have exactly the same story as you. What did you do?

I absolutely agree with the comment above. Telus' customer service and over billing is getting out of hand. I too think I may just contact the CRTC to lodge a complaint. This is pathetic.

Feb 13, 2008 10:09 pm

Your reconnection fee was for non payment because your account was past due. That's the only time they charge you that "fee". I know this because my brother forgot to pay my bill when I was on vacation so my services were disconnected as a result. However, because it was my first time ever late, Telus was gracious enough to waive the reconnection fee.

If you call in July to cancel, you will get a final invoice for the next month because all services providers have advance billing. Also, just like Rogers and Bell, you have to give them with 30 days notice to cancel I think.

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am really upset that Telus Mobility says their computers don't make mistakes and I have again been billed for data services that I never used. Hours of chat line usage that is someplace I have never gone, in the middle of the night when I know my phone is off. Anyone else have this problem with Telus... Beware people!

R
12:00 am

TELUS - continued billing after cancellation!

I had a 3 year service contract for private cell phone with Telus Mobility. The contract ended and I started using a cell phone through my office so no longer needed my private line. I called to cancel the private cell was told by customer service to: give the account to my kids so they would be safe, give it to my parents so they could be safe, neighbors, etc.

I was then told it couldn't be canceled because I was in the middle of a monthly billing cycle. They continue to bill me for 2 months until I called then back and told them I was not going to pay for a cell phone I canceled and was not using. They told me they would just send the account to a collection agency if I didn't pay, which they did. They threated me with destroying my credit rating. I'm still getting harassing calls for the $40 almost 2 years later. They can get the money when they pry from my cold dead hands. What a horrible way to treat customers. I will never do business with them again.

2 comments
K
Dec 28, 2008 5:53 am

Drop Telus (Beware of Fido, Rogers and Koodo) Go with Virgin Mobile..it is not regulated by the Big-Three.. CRTC is rendered useless another example of neo-conservatives give large tax breaks to large corporations..

May 29, 2008 11:33 am

Drop your telus contract like I did on cellplandepot.ca they suck and I switched to a better provider. I think Telus is lost as they screw us over for $hundreds$ of fees for early termination but yet they launch Koodo mobile which doesn't have cancellation fees...they are mental.

12:00 am

TELUS - defective htc pda, customer disrespect!

I bought a htc pda from telus on june 24 2007. It worked with a few glitches here or there, turning off and on on its own, freezing etc. Then suddenly the phone just would not turn on at all. I went into a telus store only to be asked repeatedly if " i used my phone in the shower...". Apparently, i had exposed my phone to moisture and was s.o.l and would have to pay to replace it! I am telling you with all honesty i have never exposed that phone to moisture. I was in tears begging telus associates to believe that i had not exposed my phone to moisture. I am a 27 year old business owner and i was insulted by the treatment i got. The staff was rude and accusatory. I was being convinced to give my "broken" phone to telus and pay 125$ for a new one! (i just paid full price two months ago for a new one! )when i asked if i could receive a diagnostic of the problem or notified if it could be fixed i was told "no". Now, someone help me here: why would i hand off a phone i paid full price for and am sure i did not damage, only to never see it again or told what exactly the issue was? What if they discover a defect? What if i can be refunded for my troubles? It all seems very shady to me. I suspect i was sold a refurbished phone and in turn my phone would probably be resold once they fix whatever the problem is. In the meantime my hard earned money is being spent replacing a phone i didn't break in the first place. I am still seeking some advice i can trust and am phone less. If anyone has any advice on how to get this resolved that'd be great. I will keep you posted!

5 comments
N
Sep 30, 2010 4:47 am

Dear sir,
i was used mobilink no [protected] to 2010 july one day my sim can not Received signal then i call your help line and your customer officer say to me your no is expire without inform my is closed then i go to 23 Sep your franchises in darvics road Branch but he say to me this sim is not your name but my sim is my name and i have your from is show that my this no.
i was call followings nos:-
plz open my sim
Mrs Naveed Mushtaq
INC #[protected]
cell no# [protected]
plz inform to me i wait your reply
and i attached from show is my no
thanks

M

i have the htc p400. bought it originally nov11/2007. telus has now swapped it 3x for the exact reasons you have mentioned... so as far as water damage... thats of bunch of bs... because all 3 times they had that same problem and not once did any of mine have water damage. so now were at nov 21/2008, 10 days out of warranty (might i add the last time the phone was swapped was 3-1/2 months ag0) and the phone shuts on and off over and over again. will only load to the windows screen and then repeat itself until i remove the battery. i am soooo livid. and then to be told, well your phone is out of warranty! because they state your warranty from your original phone purchase date, not the replacement referb phones that they give you. telus themselves hasent been too bad. they have given me a 400.00 credit towards a new phone and 50% off my bill for the next 2 months. but as far as htc goes... NEVER AGAIN!

Aug 19, 2008 6:29 pm

I just went through the same thing with my blackberry pearl. The charger port was not charging and the unit was technically in warranty. According to telus if the unit is not EXACTLY as it was when originally packaged it is considered out of warranty. If I was to hand over my phone one dealer asked for a $90 payment up front and $800 in credit card imprints, the next dealer would not even look at my phone and refused to help me at all. 2 hours on the phone with customer service I found out some disturbing facts. The storefronts that you walk into thinking your dealing with Telus are all independent and do not have to comply with any Telus regulations on what they can charge for loaners or replacements. It's basically a free for all! I was bullied into buying a cheaper replacement because the only other option was paying full price $499 for the replacement of a phone I did not break and Telus would not even look at to see if repair was viable.

Feb 13, 2008 10:40 pm

The HTC (touch, s720 or even p4000) sucks! However, I wouldn't swap the unit right away, call the client support and see if they can't work out a better deal for you.

Try taking your phone to another repair centre for a second opinion. Unfortunately, the HTC phones aren't made very well. My boyfriend has the Touch with Bell and it keeps freezing. I had the s720 for a week and I returned it for a Blackberry and no problems since.

Water damage can happen even if you're carrying the phone in the rain. Unfortunately, the more the features, the more sensitive these damn phones are.

Dec 04, 2007 12:21 pm

You should leave Telus. They are the worse company out there. If i was you i would buy an unlocked GSM phone from eBay and go with either Fido or Rogers. THat would be the best deal.

TELUS - misleading advertising

I have been a TELUS customer for 10 years and have always paid my bills on time. Two years ago TELUS advertised a FREE I-Pod for existing customers who agree to switch over to Highspeed Internet. Of course the monthly cost for highspeed was higher than the dail-up that I was on. I thought: "How nice, after 8 years of being a customer at TELUS I finally get a perk, a reward for me for being a loyal customer and paying my bills on time". I contacted TELUS to sign up for high speed internet, agreed to pay an increased monthly service for high speed internet, and received the "FREE" I-POD.

DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THESE GIFTS COME FOR FREE!

Two years later I am moving to a new address. As any healthy consumer would do, I shop around for the best deal on phone, internet and cable service. Now SHAW has a great bundle that TELUS cannot compete with. It includes phone, internet and cable for only $20 more than what I used to pay for phone and internet service alone at TELUS. So I call TELUS to cancel my services.

I spoke to a TELUS representative from the LOYALTY AND RETENTION department. They will charge me $240 for canceling my services. WHY? Because I got a FREE? (= not so free) I-POD from them two years ago and thereby agreed (without them telling me this at the time) to retain their services for at least 5 years. This is how TELUS retains their customers and creates customer loyalty! What a joke. I offered to send them back my not-so-free I-Pod. But they didn't want it. I guess they don't like my music.

They tell me now (two years later as I am about to cancel their services), that TELUS put me on a "Pay Protection Plan" - whatever that may be - which kept my highspeed internet service cost low (really? - I was still paying more than I was before!) and that therefore I have to pay them $240 unless I remain with them. Now after hearing all this, and after going through that very irritating automated phone service system, why would I want to stay with a government subsidized company who pretends to give you a free gift and charges you for it two years down the line. Thanks but no thanks.

TELUS is now advertising FREE laptops for customers to switch over to highspeed. Remember, nothing comes for free. You PAY dearly for your customer LOYALTY.

5 comments
W
Sep 15, 2009 12:25 pm

The Russians have an expression;
"Free cheese--only in a mouse trap!"

H
Aug 15, 2008 8:11 pm

I'm not with Telus (fortunately) but I came across this blog site trying to find out what Telus' recent ad that I saw on a bus yesterday meant. It said "we believe in staying dry." I still haven't figured it out to how it translates to buying any of their services. Probably I'm not smart enough to figure it out (which might explain why I'm not with Telus) but does anyone have any idea? I like Justin's entry there praising Telus for all its worth. Just pass me the KETCH up for my fries svp.

T
May 30, 2008 3:04 pm

No don't do it the computer is crap! My bill was one price when I was setting it up and now after just 3 months it is so much different by $50.00 dollars a month now Im paying over $100.00 a month. It is a waste of you breath to call and try and work things out. Just get the shaft all over the place!

J
May 08, 2008 8:44 pm

I am a telus customer and i have been happy with the services provided i bought a new house and gave lots of notice to have everything hooked up knowing that things may not be the way they used to be and i am not the only house hold, Telus deals with. I told them when i got possesion of the house and they were able to have everything hooked up within a couple days of moving in. We had problems with the High speed internet and all it took was a 5 min phone call to telus and things were up and running no problems.

When it comes to the free dell laptop if you sign a 3 yr contact, How can anyone say that is not a good deal you pay an extra $4 a month and get a $650 laptop. So in 3 yrs i will pay $144 for a decent laptop and i could back out at any time and pay $400 for a $650 laptop how can anyone in there right mind say that is not a good deal.

When it comes to the IPod deal why don't you go down to your local electronics store and price one out with similar capabilities but also keep in mind that over 2 yrs ago they first came out and they were a hot thing everyone wanted one, including yourself.
Yes Telus should not be telling people the laptops or Ipods are free, But come-on now people nothing is free read into it before you automatically jump into things. Thats like cell phones someone walks into a BELL MOBILITY store for example looking for a cell phone and they tell you a phone is free what would you think "WHATS THE KETCH" right, and again 3 yr contracts, and people sign up for those contracts all the time.

People need to just keep in mind that your not the only person the big companies have to deal with and have some patience with these companies, Every company now a days is short employee's that why they make help wanted sign's, If your gonna be mad at someone why not the guy or girl you see walking threw town begging for money next time they ask for money maybe mention telus is probably hiring. Plan ahead its not that hard, Keep in mind it might take a week or two if not you can always schedule it in with them a week in advance.

Apr 18, 2008 9:36 am

Thanks for the warning. I almost got into the same trap. Three weeks ago, I applied for the bundle which included telephone, high speed internet and the free laptop - all to be installed last Friday (one week ago today).

Customer service arbitrarily changed that date to 4 days later, without ever notifying me of the change, causing me to miss a filing deadline and incur penalties. I have called 7 times this week, and spoke to 7 different people, and they STILL can't get a modem sent to me and they have no way for me to pick one up.

One helpful customer service rep suggest I go to the library and use their internet -- problem is dipsy -- I don't have a phone book to look up where the nearest library might be, nor can I google the address because you haven't provided me with access to the internet.

I've explained to each of these reps that for relatively the same cost, your competitor could be here tomorrow and do the installation for me tomorrow. Each has promised that they will send the modem out Canada Post express tomorrow --- and here we are Friday and the modem has STILL not been shipped so they cannot provide me with a tracking number.

Finally, after trying for over an hour to talk to a Manager, they put me through to this Customer Loyalty group as well. He explained that the best he could do would be to provide me with interim dial up capability. Thanks but no thanks. I'm bailing before it ends up being three months without service. Not to mention free laptop!

Maybe that would have been the solution, at least I could have taken that to Starbucks and used their wireless!

Bad, Bad, Bad service.

12:00 am

TELUS - cancelling contract though my bills were paid

I was sacked by telus as a customer, I had a talk Halifax plan was with Telus for over 9 years, tried to get a PDA phone to work in Halifax, had great email and internet,but terrible audio or voice quality tried many many phones even BB phones but voice quality was nasty. So this afternoon one of the senior management people called on my phone and told me i was not allowed in any of their corp stores in Nova Scotia She screamed at me for over 1/2 hour, i asked her what had happened, still dont know, i didnt threaten any employee nor throw my phone or kick nor put my fist threw any walls, but i am now not allowed in any corp stores in Nova Scotia. Also she cancelled my plan which one cant get any more, i took my business to another carrier. My bill was always paid never left owing any money, this is the way Telus treats its customers like top bananas, their service SUCKS

3 comments
G
Mar 19, 2009 3:57 pm

I chose Telus' $20 for 200 minute plan in a 3 year contract (and a Motorola Razr2 PCS phone). I also agreed to try out some additional options like web access and text messaging knowing that each time "I used those options" there would be a charge but I wanted these options in case I needed to download updates from the web or if I wanted to send a text message. Unknown to me, simply by agreeing to have web access, Telus took it upon themselves to send my phone web update requests so each time I used my cell phone, it would check the web for updates and simply by agreeing to text messaging, Telus decided to send me daily informational text messages each of which cost me an additional $1.00. I was not a heavy cell phone user but I typically used my phone 3 or 4 times a month and I never sent a text message or checked the web myself but my monthly bills were close to $70.00 for this $20/200 plan. That is gouging the customer.

R
Sep 19, 2008 10:24 pm

Every thing bad. Unfortionately I can't explane how but all i can say I never see in my life like this to sucks people without reason .Should have rights.

Feb 13, 2008 10:18 pm

Telus doesn't cancel your contract unless you have abused the system in someway or have become abusive to their representatives. (Read the service terms, Telus can cancel your contract for various reasons)

If you were not told the reason for the cancellation, contact their client support to find out, especially if you had a great rate plan. Every company is in the business of making money so they won't ban a client off their network for no reason...

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I recently received a large bill from Telus Mobility after transferring my numbers to Rogers, due to poor cellphone reception and customer service issues. The bill contained (amongst other charges) a $240 cancellation fee. Upon contacting Telus customer service, I was informed that there were service contracts remaining totaling 9 months between two...

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have been a Telus Mobility (Calgary, Alberta) client for approximately 5 years prior to entering into a contract due to my need for a cell phone renewal and the need of 2 additional new cell phones for my son and my husband. On approximately January 16, 2005, I have acquired 3 new cell phones, (decision that costs me a lot of money, in addition to credit...

12:00 am

TELUS - horrible and unprofessional service!

So I was using shaw cable internet and had no problems at all with it. I never had to call because my internet was not working, it always worked! So I went into future shop to buy a laptop and found out that if I signed up for telus high speed enhanced internet I would receive $400 off my laptop. I have had telus in the passed and had many problems but this was many many years ago so I figured that by now it had to of been better. So I signed up with telus last october. Since then I have had nothing but problems! My internet stops working all the time for no reason and my internet is very important to me because I do my schooling for courses online! If I don't have the internet for a few days it can screw me over with my classes. So then for the 3rd time my internet stopped working at the end of december so for the 3rd time I had to call telus tech support to find out why my internet was not working. I was then informed that my account was cancelled for non payment. I got very angry because I had not received a bill. I also did not realize that I hadn't received a bill yet and so I contacted customer care to find out why I wasn't getting any bills and to pay my bill immediately. So then I was told that my account was set up on automatic payments to come off of my visa every month and that was why I was not getting bills. This upset me very much because I never authorized them to take the payments for my bill off of my visa! The only reason they had my visa number was because I had to pay a small deposit for service because i'm just starting to establish my credit. When I had paid the deposit the representative asked me if I wanted to set up the monthly payments to come off my visa and I had said no! Somehow the cust service rep set it up on my account. I was then told that to reconnect my service I would have to pay a $20 reconnection charge. I got really mad and stated I was not going to pay this because it was not my fault the account was cancelled for non payment. The rep stated she would credit it to my account. The rep then stated they would send me out a bill because the balance owing was only $49. I offered to pay that right now to get it taken care of and the rep said that a bill would be sent out and it would be due then. I then asked for my account # so I could go online and get it taken care of right away. The rep would not give me this and said it would be on my bill. Then I was informed that to get my internet working she had to email another dept so they could unlock my modem. I was then told this would take up to 3 or 4 business days. And since this was thursday and the monday was new year's day that if my modem was not unlocked that day or the friday I would not have service until either the tuesday or wednesday. I was very angry but she said there was nothing she could do but she stated that the modems usually get unlocked within the first day. Of course for me I had no internet until the tuesday and it was a pain in the ### to get it working again!

Also if you are thinking about getting telus high speed enhanced dont do it! My shaw cable internet was way way faster, more reliable and cheaper than telus! Telus enhanced internet is not enhanced! It sucks! I have never had more problems with my internet than I have with telus!

Telus cust service is horrible! I work for a cell phone company and could not believe how I was treated with telus. First of all the technical support dept can't even speak english! I am sorry but when I need help with my internet I would really appreciate it if I could understand what the rep is asking me to do! Also one time when I contacted telus tech support the rep was very unprofessional and treated me like I was stupid! He was talking down to me and then after we got my internet working he then asked me "was there anything else I can do for you? Would you like me to sing you a song?" I was soooooo shocked that he just said that to me. I didn't even know what to say. I have now learned to get the names and rep id's from every rep I talk to so then if I have a problem then at least I can try and do something about it! I could never imagine talking to a customer that way. I deal with customers every day on the phone for a cell phone company adn could never imagine doing or saying that. I always treat people as I would like to be treated when I call in to companies! Telus is a disgrace!

3 comments
Jun 18, 2011 10:31 pm

i am glad i finally found a place i can show my anger with that company. horrible terrible company with no "customer service" mind AT ALL! i have never dealt with such comapny in my entire life! it's 21C, not 1950s! why in the world you should exisit in the society, Telus. please TELL US, if you can, and please learn how to add value to the society from others.

Jan 07, 2009 4:48 pm

i have had the exact same problem as you in almost every way, other then it was my first time getting internet and my girlfreind at the time wanted the free laptop that came with signing up. i've had the cust reps bounce my call between like 12 diferent reps and each one just ask for my info and sent me off agian to another one each one being as incompotant as the last until i final asked for a manager. the first time i asked for a manager i was hung up on and the second time i had the manager listen to my problems then tell me he was going to call me back the same day once he had figured out the porblem ony why my internet had yet to be set back up after the billing miss haps. i have never to this day got a call back from that manager. my bill was over 200$ that they had been sending to an email adress that i didnt know excisted. no idea how to enter it and no password for it. and then i was told that i would only have to pay a portion of the bill the get my internet back. and the told by the next rep that i would have to pay it all to get it back. all in all i work to a retail company that sells telus phone and internet packages and i will never for as long as i live sell a customer a telus package.

N
Mar 08, 2008 1:40 pm

your a knob, you knew and understood what you where getting into, you said you had them once and that that suck so you changed. your a ### for wanting to save $400. im glad you got burnt you stupid hick

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My name is Daniel and I have been a Telus Mobility customer since December 2004. Apart from not receiving a cell phone signal in my house, I found my Telus cell phone to be useful and productive. During the first year and a half I did not have any issues with Telus' customer service representatives until I received a bill for over $1,000.00 in services for...

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am a Mississauga, ON resident. I was with Telus for a year and a half. After that, in April 2006 I purchased a phone from a Telus Mobility Dealer in New Market, Ontario. One month later, the phone started to act up. It was a Motorola Razr phone. I could not hear anything out of the ear speaker on the phone. I took the phone back to the Telus mobility...

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Here is a copy of the email I just sent to telus: complaints - wow, you sure have a lot of complaints against you on the internet, and I agree. I've had high speed internet for three weeks. It intereferes significantly with my phone - I lose very important calls every day. I am cancelling my internet. Your snot nosed technician told me i'm going to pay a...

O
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

As a Telus customer for almost a year, I am very unhappy to say that my phone has consistently been giving me a lot of problems with reception, battery life, display problems, and sometimes I don't even receive calls or messages. When I called Telus on Tuesday July 4, 2006 for the first time, I was put of hold for 15 minutes until I finally hung up. Later...

TELUS contacts