TCF Bankfree $50 when a checking account is opened

I was excited to hear about the free $50 from tcf bank when you open a free checking account. All over the website it states "$50 free, YES FREE!" so I though there would be no problems. Well, I opened the account online and the website said I would receice my $50 when my account was funded, so naturally I know it would take a few days for the money to go through from my debit card. So a few days after the funding took place I did not get my money so I decided to call the 1800 number. When I called I was told I need to go to a TCF branch to present proper verification (I.D., s.s. card, ect., ). I went to the branch (on a saturday) and showed them what they needed and the teller told me I would receive my $50 on Monday. When monday rolled around I did not get my money but decided to wait a few days. Also I received a box of checks that I was told were FREE, yet they proceeded to charge my account $18.50 AND did not put my $50 in the account. At this point I was very frustrated and decided to call the 1800 number again. When I called I talked to a man who was very rude and he told me there was nothing he could do for me. Then about 10 minutes later I called again and talked to a woman who was able to reverse the check printing fee and told me I would have to wait four weeks from the date I opened my account to receive the $50. A few days ago made FIVE weeks since the date I opened my account and I called so I called the 1800 number and asked why I did not have my money and a SUPERVISOR told me that I qualified for the $50 and she would file a credit to my account and the money would be in my account in 1-3 days...Well, today made six days so I called again and spoke to a rude woman who told me I do not qualify for the $50 because I did not purchse the checks that were sent to me (the fee was reversed). I ended up hanging up on her because she was being so rude to me. I am absolutely fed up with this bank and they have been giving me the run-around for over a month now. NEVER OPEN A TCF ACCOUNT!!!

• Lo
    loribelle Feb 11, 2010

After I opened my Free TCF checking account, is was switched to an account with a monthly service charge on my very first statement! This felt very much like a bait and switch move on their part. When I opened the account, I told them I didn't want to have direct deposit nor keep a minimum balance. Within a couple weeks, they completely changed the rules. I withdrew my money and returned it to Wells Fargo.
    I was told by the TCF teller that the rate increase was "due to the government". Nice move TCF - will never do business with you again.

• Ha
    HAPPY_32 Aug 04, 2010

WHEN YOU OPEN AN ACCOUNT ONLINE AND YOU READ THE TERMS THERE IS NOWHERE THAT SAYS THAT CHECKS ARE FREE.. IT DOES TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO BUY THE CHECKS AND IT ALSO GIVES YOU THE FEE AMOUNT THAT YOUR CHECKS WILL COST. ALSO IF YOU READ BEFORE YOU OPENED THE PAGE TO OPEN THE ACCOUNT IT SAYS THAT THE CREDIT FOR THE $50 WILL BE MADE WITHIN 4 WEEKS..AS LONG AS THE REQUIREMENTS ARE MEET...YOU SHOULD HAVE READ THE TERMS