Targetemployee abuse

S Review updated:

I have worked at a Target for 4 years and over that time all I see is abusive behaviors out of the LOD's...That stand for Lead On Duty. They are allowed to accuse anyone that doesn't suck up to them of not doing their work or worse. They have been known to set up people to get rid of them also. This is sanctioned by the main company. That is why they go through so many employees every year. Between the abuse and lack of training given new people and the general disrespect given everyone...They are lucky anyone will work for them.

PLEASE do not work for this company...Run the other way when you see these jack booted droids in khalki and red coming to woo you with lies about how great it is to work for them.

DO NOT SHOP THEIR EITHER. They get inferior merchandise in that breaks or wears out before you know it. And they over charge on most items, even though they employ slave labor in 3rd world countries to make their trash.

• Ju
    just humiliated May 17, 2009

as complaints go - this may be a small one - but it has left me completely unsettled and physically ill -
    after working most of the day on a sunday i scanned the online target ads - i had been looking for a small tv and found one that - while a bit pricey - seemed to be what i was looking for - i checked to make sure it said 'also available in stores' - it did and i went across the street to buy it - the price in the store was higher than online and i asked about this - the employees were very defensive and extremely dismissive - so i went to the service desk and quietly asked for the manager - a few moments later a very young man (whose badge said chris) came over and asked me what i wanted - i just looked at him and thought - this is not the manager - so i asked 'are you the manager' his response was 'i am the acting manager' - i decided to continue being polite and described the issue - he was dismissive and then started looking around and talking about how if i wanted to i could write everything down - as he looked around i apologized and said that i realized this was of no importance to him and that i was sorry to have bothered him - i walked away and halfway to the door he YELLED after me in a tone of voice that conveyed exactly the four letter words he wanted to say (and usually followed by another four letter word) - so loud that everyone in that area of the store (which is at the very front) turned and stared - i was humiliated and embarrassed and could not understand what i had done wrong - when i got home i called the store and found out the store manager was in fact there - his name was bobby - i tried to explain to bobby what had happened - he at first tried to make excuses for the employee and then started with the fake i'm sorrys - i have contacted the company but their final word is that they are also sorry also 'but but there isn't any follow up to your complaint to Target Guest Relations' - and that is it – target just does not care that an employee tried to play some stupid game with a customer - who decided not to go along - and the employee then decided that as punishment the customer should be embarrassed and humiliated –

• He
    hetal patel May 19, 2009

i m working with target since last 4 years now i m suffering bed experience in t1045 with HR department i do wanted to go to school but seems like they don't wanted to change my schedule instead of helping me they ask me to not to go school and not to work in my field in spite of all i open my availability according to my school schedule they said no to me for not work in pharmacy and that is my field so for that reason i had to drop my classics which is completely unfair to me

• Gl
    Glenda the Good Witch Jan 26, 2010

I have been working for Target for several years. I have a college degree and extensive management experience. Presently, I am a mid-level manager/ Team Lead. Several of the ETLs in our store are straight out of college and have little to no management experience. Preferably, Target seeks out these recent grads with bull-dog like personalities that they can "groom, " and individuals that are looking to move up quickly - no matter what the cost. The Target Leadership handbook stresses being a sincere, and meaningful leader and that "humble leadership must be earned." Instead, what they promote is bullying, and chiding criticism and general lack of respect for their employees.
    The job market is tough so many people stay at Target out of necessity. Once this changes, you will see a movement out by many employees whom are tired of the crappy treatment that Target overtly promotes.
    If you are seeking a professional career in management, where you will be treated as a professional, do not seek out employment with Target.

• Ca
    Carolyn Cobalt Jan 07, 2019

@Glenda the Good Witch I am a Team Lead having the same experience. I am being targeted for decipline on false and or subjective information. Any recommendations ????

• Re
    rednessa Jan 28, 2010

I worked for the target in cedar pk. tx. So i know from experience how they treat their employees, like dogs! they are liars! I was hired to work day shift hours. after being hired i was informed i would work nights, because they "forgot" they already filled the day position with someone already employed with target. On the first day of work i learned she was a new employee as well! When I asked management, they denied ever saying anything about it. They told me to take the job i was given or walk.

• Su
    Susan1865 May 01, 2010

Sarione,

I'm wondering how you know that Target sets employees up and that Target headquarters sanctions this type of behavior. Something like this is going on where I work. The environment at my store has become very unpleasant for me because you never know which fake guest (someone hired by Target to act as a guest) will accuse you of false things and then there is no recourse on the employee's part. It goes in your record and then at review time they can cite this made up information. It's amazing how a company the size of Target is allowed to get away with treating their employees like children and the CONSTANT belittlement and so called coaching by 25 year old kids. At first I thought nothing of it but I see a trend and it's not very nice for employees---- it makes for an extremely hostile work environment. Bottom line Target pays lip service to treating employees well but frankly they don't give a rip. Wallmart has a very bad name in how they treat their employees and I thought Target was different but after working there -- not so much.

• Sb
    sbthompson Aug 15, 2011

I've seen so many employees terminated for ridiculous reasons. I wore a red shirt and khakis every day, nobody complains about my outfit, and suddenly I am fired for refusing to comply with the dress code. The real reason was simply because I had too much self respect to suck up to the managers.

jane doe2 Nov 04, 2011

I also work at a Target and it is totally ridiculous. I work with people who have threatened guests with physical violence and cursed at them. Somehow, they are still there. I used to do my job with pride, but realize the only people that appreciated it were the guests I helped that day and me. I know Target doesn't pay the greatest but I enjoyed doing the job. Now I work with people who could care less and it has rubbed off on me.

• Az
    azkatail Nov 23, 2011

My grandson was hired to work overnight stocking. He blew out his knee and was hobbling around trying to stock heavy boxes. The "lead" asked if he was okay and he said his knee was killing him and asked if he could do something lighter for the rest of the shift. The "lead" told him to go home and to call HR in the morning. So, he did and found out he was terminated. I vow never to go back into any Target again. They have gotten way too much of my money, but will get not one more penny.

• Ka
    kate5 Feb 13, 2012

The store I work at generally allows sexual harassment from upper level management to lowest level employees. Recently management has started openly talking about shorting employee hours to get them to quit. Employees who work early hours before the store opens have to stand outside waiting to get in, until after they are late... which they are later written up for.

• Bo
    bobdingles Dec 15, 2013

I started at Target in Louisiana 8 years ago. it was an ok company that has progressively worse over the years. Well raise time comes every years as usual, usually about 30 or 35 cents, based on an evaluation that borders on ridiculous. But we do it for our progressing pay. This year, we are just now informed that most all of us are Topped Out!! No more raises ever! Well we asked its not in the Handbook they live by, the Managers don't know anything, strange that this happened when we get a new District Manager we suddenly get NO MORE RAISES EVER after giving our time for a company for 8 years. We cant even work full time we get only 30 hours most a week. The District Manager from Human Resources say they will get back with us about top out. They NEVER DO. This is the WORST Company to work for, to pull that stunt, when its NOT in the handbook and we were not informed about it!!! I would recommend this company to NO ONE!!! Now I am stuck because I have been there 8 years and topped out... Shame on this Company!!!

• Cd
    cdubau Feb 07, 2014

I worked at the target warehouse in Woodland for 10 years and for years I noticed that when minorities got injured on the job the management would send them straight to depal or some other hard labor job while our white counter parts was sent to work in the office one GL in particular named Greg Stores made sure that anyone of color had the worst assignments he could quite possibly find, when I hurt my shoulder due to bone spur in my shoulder from years of repetitive motions driving a forklift even after I brought a memo from a doctor target sent me to Greg still sent me to depal. I would love to be a part of this lawsuit not for any financial gain but just to show the Target corporation that there are consequences to they're actions I know there are former target employees who feel the same way I do so I ask if anyone knows the name of the law firm handling this case please forward the info to [email protected] I and many other Target employees would be grateful thank you

J. A. Hoehn Jul 06, 2014

I am a semi-retired restaurant manager that served and managed in the food-service business for 38 years. I understand the importance of great customer service. . I never disrespected the people that worked for me. Great employees are a valuable asset and are an integral component to the success of any business. My son was hired at the Target in Bozeman, Montana. He was very excited about the opportunity to work for a company that he thought might actually care about its employees. He has worked there three months and has found out the hard way that Target does not care about its employees. The management, and "team leaders" continually harass and verbally abuse employees. My young son was one of them. He has pointed out expired food products and taken initiative to remove them from the stocked coolers. This action was seen as an over-reach and put that department's leader in an embarrassing and humiliating situation. Perhaps she was not doing her job? This type of action just will not be tolerated! WE must protect the management hierarchy at all costs. Subsequently my son tried to do the right thing and he was punished by verbal abuse and brow beating by a team leader. I believe that it was sanctioned by management to get him to quit. Well, he did! Congrats Target! Shame on you... You have lost my business!! I thought a Minnesota based company would be better than this. I am a former Minnesotan and am ashamed of this..Target is just like all the other money grubbing corporations that
    care only for the bottom line. My son worked hard for them and was treated like **** . I know that writing this is a waste of time.. Nothing will change...

Jane101 Jul 28, 2014

Target is a bad unethical company to work for .
    They start of their employees at minimum wage.
    No one gets 40 hours a week .
    Employees schedules are Change
    all the time morning, mid and closing shifts
    Bottom line target doesn't care about its employees.
    Some ETLS have to pay out of pocket to reward their employees with a barbecue . Sad that a company can't even treat their employees a thanks giving dinner .. Target is greedy corporation they lie to the public with commercials and giving back to schools and the volunteering work they do . I forgot to mention the volunteering work employees do not them.. Don't be fool by Target . Target doesn't deserve to be in America ..

• Si
    Simsonville Target sucks Nov 14, 2014

Unlawful labor practices. Target hires workers at two difference pay rates. Flow team( moving inventory) and sales floor. Flow team makes more because the work is "harder". No problem, since you understand that going in to the job. But what happens after you are hired for sales floor is you are asked to move inventory when the flow team is shorthanded, which is almost daily. So Target hires you at a lower pay rate, but then gets you to do the work without adjusting your salary. One of the most unethical places I have ever worked. I have since left the company and reported them to the state labor board.

• Da
    Danielle J Jan 14, 2015

I have worked at target for 1 year!!! I have been set up for something I didn't even do...and I'm on a CCA means I'm on my last warning...they have treated me so wrong and I go home crying every day because of what the L.O.D tell me!!! Plz don't work for this company they will hurt you so bad!!! I don't know why people shop at target or work for them...

• Ry
    ryry95 Feb 06, 2015

It is true what they say about abusive LODS and setting up the employees to make them look bad especially if they dont suck up to them. I worked there almost my 3 months and right at the end they let me go IN THE MIDDLE OF MY SHIFT BUT SAID TO FINISH THE DAY WHAT THE HELL?? Then called the next day saying i work that wedesnday of that next week...i was like do i have a job or not stop playing games get ur managment ### together then said it was due to hour cuts.. yeah but not enough to let someone go. I wasted my time busting my ### for a bunch of no good ungrateful selfish stuck up ###. They will use and abuse you and take advantage an I'm only 19 living on my own jobless trying to support myself.

• Su
    Susan Xiong Mar 20, 2015

I worked at the target food Ave and im an employee at another place and it was great to an extent. I didn't mind the rude guests or impatient colleagues that were waiting on their food, but the one thing that got to me the most was when I was a customer and was treated poorly in my own home store. Since I am couponer I loved the great deals target offers, LP automatically assumed I was buying all my merchandise with employee discount and reselling them behind target's back. I work 2 jobs, I barely get enough time to even eat or sleep and they have the guts to assume that I'm reselling all the things I buy. They violated my rights as an employee and a customer. LP noticed I was buying tons of baby gifts and told HR and the HR confronted me about the employee discount rules then added "it's a dead giveaway that you don't have a child. " she automatically assumed I didn't have a child and was buying and reselling. For a new HR you've got a lot of guts to say that to me when you came to the store after me.

• El
    Elisa2 Dec 09, 2015

Target is a horrible company to work for the government should close this store for employee abuser they are like hitler They ask people to start at six to be returned because no work that's not acceptable!!!

• Bl
    blue niranjan May 06, 2016

Yes totally in agreement, Target has shrouded segregation currently, at all stores, , certain ethnic people are chosen to be team leads, working hours are distributed on a racial basis, selected employees are not working on weekends, scheduels are are done on an ethnic friendly basis..First greeting when one starts working is we dont need group oriented people, but when bullying employees it's the team comes first.

• La
    landromedacs May 07, 2016

I was helping a disabled woman shop, and the head LOD, Cassie, went up and said that the woman had a wheelchair and that that was all the help she needed. Also, that since the wheelchair was motorized, that she was probably faking it. When Cassie left, the disabled women told me that she had been paralyzed for over 30 years. Another instance I had with her was (move in day for my freshman year of college, making it so that I knew no one) when they had EVERY ONE OF US SINGLE FLOOR EMPLOYEES go around and ask every customer if they needed assistance. I was helping out the registers and Cassie butted through my line and said and I quote "WHY AREN'T YOU OUT ON THE FLOOR HELPING PEOPLE?" To which an elderly lady said, "because she's helping us." The elderly woman then asked me if she always talks to us like that. She does and worse. She would call me out specifically when she knew I was helping someone. When I was finished with my line, about 5 minutes later, she was standing there making sure I asked people, NOTE THAT EVERY OTHER EMPLOYEE WAS STILL DOING THIS. She left to the toy section while I asked everyone I passed on my way there. Meanwhile I was cursed out by every single guest because they had all been asked 7 times in the last 10 minutes. When I informed the team in our mini meeting back in toys, I was told that I was "making s**t up" and that if I said anything to anybody for the rest of the day that I would be fired. I went into work the next day and was pulled into a room by a man I didn't know and was told that I was fired. I asked why and he "didn't know" (THIS IS AGAINST THE LAW IN MY STATE, THEY HAVE TO TELL YOU WHY). And then wouldn't let me leave the room when I refused to sign a paper saying that I forfeit my final check (an $800 check, mind you).

• Ca
    Carmen Rosa Sep 03, 2016

All these comments are true, why nothing is done about these situations that still are going on at the present?

• Gm
    GMore86 Dec 27, 2016

My daughter worked only 2 months...she and 4 others were terminated for discounts abused Plus arrested and charged with embezzlement. They're claiming my daughter gave over $2000 in discounts, she doesn't deny giving discounts to friends and relatives but nowhere near $2000. They didn't provide any transactions for her to see only read to her three transactions which she claims yes I remembered those 3. They were surprised she was honest about them 3 but didn't give $2000 or more in discounts. Maybe a total of $500, she was told to write a brief description of why she, was being fired. She wrote apparently for giving discounts or coupons...the others were stealing money from the register and not scanning items which is on camera. I will be hiring an attorney to dropped the charges of felony to infraction and pay target only the amount my daughter gave in discounts / coupons. I understand giving discounts and coupons is unacceptable but they need to change their policy and only allow managers to override the transactions when a discount or coupon will be use not allow the cashier to give without authorization. I've read a lot of negative stuff about target. Unbelievable 😐

• Ya
    yazmin galvan Nov 05, 2017

target has been one of the worse experience i have ever gone trough. when i got hired they told me i was going to be a full timer. well since the holiday season came in they cut of my hours to half. i told my manager i couldn't work that schedule and all they said that they didn't care because i wasn't hired as a full time. I helped them so much in so many ways . From compliance, coming to work when someone couldn't make it, by working in my lunch time. in so many ways. please go somewhere else to work target does not reverse your time and hard work. while i was working for them they set up a lot of people to fired .. i don't understand their system, they hired people to fired people. they don't understand that people has lives and bills to pay. instead of giving you chances for growth as soon as they know they place you in the black list to get rid off you.. target really can messed up your life nan emotional way..

ANONYMOUS Princess Nov 16, 2017

Been here 2.5 months and that's all the time I need here I had about enough. Yeah I hate to leave my job but the managers at my store don't contribute and do their part they don't do [censor] while everyone else works hard and slaves. They throw you on any schedule and don't want to work with you. I have a second job to attend and i'm a full time student as well but they don't care about that they said forget school you won't get a job in that field anyways they said I can make more being a manager at target and I looked at the lady like she had 5 heads. It's ridiculous in this store the same people always do self-checkout and thats boring as hell like wtf I asked several times to switch me to backroom because that's what I originally applied for and I asked for morning shifts in my initial interview because my second job and school runs from afternoon to late evenings and I need to be outta target by 3 the latest. But i'm outta there tomorrow I know it's a short notice but at this point idgaf. This store has completely drained me and i'm sorry to screw everyone over before the holidays but if they cant accommodate me then oh well. Everytime I ask to switch postions I get the damn run around (Lies & excuses) on why I can't switch.

MattJohnson6708 Nov 28, 2017

Have you been harassed, sexually harassed, discriminated against or had defamation of character? Email [email protected]

• Mo
    Moodygirl Oct 22, 2018

I have applied in two different states at two different seasonal times right around October which is when Target hires for Christmas season. I have received a second “decline to offer a position at this time”. Without so much as an explanation. So vague and uninformed. What are you looking for? I’m a 55+ retiree, with 30+ years of work experience. I am totally curious why I’m not hireable at Target.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices