Having problems with Synapse Group?

+1 877 755 8550 (Customer Service)
225 High Ridge Road, East Building
Fri9:00 AM - 10:00 PM
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

automatic renewal of trial magazines at a high rate

After sending trial subscriptions to several family members, I've received a statement they will be...

magazine subscription ordering/renewal/cancellation co.

These guys are nothing but crooks!!! I received a postcard in the mail saying they were automatically...

unsolicited magazine subscriptions

I just received a card stating that this company is going to be automatically renewing 4 different magazine...

automatic magazine renewal service

Received a postcard stating that my Conde Nast Traveler would be automatically renewed if I didn't contact...

unauthorized credit card charges

I called the phone number on the post card to cancel my subscriptions, but they were already cancelled since...

cancellation automated now

While cancellations are clearly not the intended outcome of calling the phone number, the company has now automated the process of accepting cancellations. They provide a notice of renewal with plenty of lead time. I wish they still had a website, but it does not appear to be working. So use the automated phone number, tolerate the sales pitches, and cancel; be prepared to write down the confirmation number at the end of the call.

unauthorized subscription interference

I am shocked by this system. Since when is it OK to set up a system that interferes with a subscription that...

unable to cancel subcription!!

Given a "free" trial subscription with an "opt-out" option. The #[protected] phone number just says, 'all circuits are busy, please try again later' or 'this number has been temporarily disconnected'. I do not want my credit card charged for something I don't want but they never answer the phone...

• Bi
    Big Subscriber Aug 14, 2016

The number for an "Automated Renewal Assistant" worked for me Aug. 14, 2016. --877-340-6783. Got an unexpected renewal notice for 4 subscriptions and had forgotten how they were started. I think the cancellations should work by saying NO to 2 offers each for ways to continue them. The headquarters for Synapse Group, Inc is in Stamford Connecticut and if you have a real complaint the BBB in Stamford has lots of information on the company and details on 564 complaints over several years .

customer service

I answered an ad for a trial subscription for magazines they represent. Their customer service is an automated line. When I call the number listed at the BBB which is their number on their website, they answer and tell you that it is Time Inc. When trying to cancel a trial subscription the automated system tells you there is a "nominal fee" but won't tell you the fee. It is impossible to reach a human being and get answers or help with any customer service issues. I initially wanted to cancel a title and retain one. Now I want to just not have any association with this company. BBB complaint filled out.

telephone # does not work

I ordered Cooking Light for $2, House Beautiful for $2, and Esquire for $2. I received a post card in the...

billing

I am getting charged for magazines I never even ordered and I think its a load of horse ###.And if these damn...

subscription renewal

Received postcards stating several magazines that I subscribe to will be automatically renewed and I have to call to cancel -- I did not request this option to reorder and feel abused by system. When calling phone number listed on postcard there is no extension to speak to a live person -- the only option is to cancel subscriptions -- I don't want to cancel at this time but let the subscriptions phase out upon appropriate end date. On website, this also is the only option. What a sad, sad operation and I will NEVER order magazine subscriptions again via airline rewards! What a hassle - magazines: you will be losing a lot of business via auto renewal.

JohnES Apr 13, 2012

You are right that this experience is frustrating and maddening. We were going to just let the subscription run out...but we kept getting it and then found the subscription renewal for almost TWICE the normal subscription rate on our credit card statement. We never opted for this. This is an unethical practice.

cancellation of subscriptions

This company never sent me any annual renewal/cancellation notices in any of the years I maintained a subscription. When I called to cancel, I reached an automated voice system that did not provide me the option of speaking to a real, live, customer service representative. Because of the run-around and continuous offers for better and cheaper rates and incentive to renew, and the extreme difficulty/lack of option to simply CANCEL my subscriptions, I am still unsure whether or not my three magazine subscriptions were actually cancelled. I will NEVER allow this to happen again and will no longer subscribe to any magazines. The reference number (whatever that means) I was given by the automated system for my telephone call is: [protected]. Please file a formal complaint with the company, the governing agency, and report back to me. Thank you.

• Te
    Tess1966 Mar 13, 2015

I'm also having a problem, I didn't receive any reminder to renew or cancel my subscriptions. It's very hard to get in contact with these people. The guy on the phone sounded fine, he said he'd take off the money, etc. Then, a few minutes later I receive an email telling me they can't find my account. Well, they knew enough about my account to find the credit card number and put the money on my card, so why all of a sudden could they NOT find it? It says they will send me a courtesy reminder before the the start of a new term. Well, I didn't receive my courtesy reminder!

• Df
    dfreedom Mar 27, 2018

Please cancel all of the magazines that you have on order for me. I am no longer interested.

Debbie Powers
    356 Kendall street
    Burlington, WI 53105

• La
    Larry Hubeny Dec 21, 2019

Please cancel ALL of the magazine subscriptions that you have on order for me .

Larry Hubeny
    N10251 Henn Rd.
    Clintonville, WI 5492
    Dec. 21, 2019

cancellation of magazine subscriptions

On October 23, 2010 I cancelled four magazine renewals...Fortune, Money, Bloomberg Business Week and Entertainment Weekly. I called Entertainment Weekly today and they said my subscription ends next year. It was to end with the January 11 edition. The telephone number I called in October was [protected]. The card I received in October states that I would receive notification of a new term. What gives? Gay Wright for Charles Wright

auto-renewal

Received Postcards on Auto-Renewal for Subs ID #:[protected] for Sunset, Health, and travel+Leisure. We...

non-solicited magazine subscription

'Out of the blue' I received a card notifing me that they were renewing my Reader's Digest...

Misleading and Deceptive Business Practices!

The way this company purposely misleads people is horrible! My husband and I returned from living overseas on a military deployment to find all these magazines we never ordered. (They claim we ordered them from Delia's, but that is simply not true--all we did was order a Christmas gift of clothing for a family member from a clothing catalog.) These were not magazines we were interested in or read! And we certainly wouldn't have had them sent to our suspended state-side address so that they would be 2-3 years old by the time we even saw them!!! Then, when we tried to contact Newsub Magazine via the phone number on our credit card statement, it was automated crap that not only did not cancel our subscriptions as it said it would, but continued to renew them and charge our credit card over and over again! I only found their website ( https://www.magcustomerservice.com/wss/home.do#top ) through numerous online complaints about this company on on-line blogs. Even at that, their website purposely uses deceptive and confusing language in the cancellation process (for example, if you click YES under the cancellation questions, it is worded in such a way that you are actually renewing your subscription instead of cancelling it! And there are several screens of these confusing/misleading questions. It is crazy). Newsub has HORRIBLE customer service--deceptive selling practices--charging credit cards without permission--if that is not fraud it should be! I urge all of you cheated by this company to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau: https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx

• He
    Heidi Hrobuchak Dec 02, 2008

I have 4 magazine subscriptions that I want to cancel. Magsub Magazines lead me to believe that I was getting a credit for the magazines, they charged to my credit card account without authorization. When I went back to rectify the cancellation they refused the cancellation.
    Heidi L. Hrobuchak

• Do
    Don Smith Dec 03, 2008

This is a very deceptive practice. They combine your cancellation request with another 12 issues for a dollar. Of course we don't want the 12 issues so you answer no.

Then they misdirect all future attempts to call them through the same automated system that got your money to begin with.

The people that run this company are not common thieves that just take, they take your money and send you something that you do not want. Then they disregard any complaint or attempt to get a refund.

I will never be orering magazines from any company that does business with these hoods

Charged my card against my will

A month ago I received 2 cards in the mail from NewSub Magazine Services. One was a renewal notice for a magazine they had sent to me on a trieal basis and the other was for a magazine I have never received or ordered. I called to cancel both subscriptions because I did not want to pay the full(overpriced) amount. I was able to cancel the bogus magazine subscription I have never received, but the sutomated system informed me that they had no record of my subscription. In fact, after the other was cancelled, they had no record of anysubscriptions for me. However, today I noticed a charge on my credit card from them for the mysterious disappearing magazine subscription. I called and cancelled and I disputed the charge with my credit card company. I believe this was intentional and I am no longer going to do any business with this company!

Rip off

This company is aweful! But the talking jibberish works. Was able to cancel all 4 magazines at one time with a real person. They billed me $43 for Southern Living when you can get the same thing direct for only $21. What a rip off!

I have not received Eating Well magazine in 6 months yet they renewed it?! Excuse me?

I originally ordered Metropolitan Home and when it went under they started sending me Women's Day. This magazine is far inferior and not even the same type of publication. Then they automatically renewed this one for $31! It is not worth $31 and I never ordered it in the first place!

And for the 4th one I just didn't want it anymore.

Scam

NewSub Magazine Services, LLC has also taken the liberty of deducting fees from my checking account today. Thank goodness, I check my account nearly every day! I also received a postcard in the mail today telling me I must call an 800 number by May 14 to cancel subscriptions on four magazines or I will be charged for them.

When I called there were no options given to the first question but to renew---now how does one call the company to get the unauthorized money taken out of my account put back in?!?

This has to be illegal. I have never had anything like this happen to me.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices