Suburban PropanePrice gouging

B Review updated:

We recently bought a house that had a 500 gallon propane tank that was being rented from suburban propane. Before signing up on a 3 year lease for the tank, we researched pricing from 4 other competitors. Pricing from all were within 5 % of each other, so we decided to go with suburban even though i had already been using pacer propane at another property i own and had been satisfied with their pricing and service over the past 10 years. This was a major mistake - - at the second fill - up, suburban's price was over 60% higher than their original quote. I again checked competiors prices as well as the bills for fill - ups on the tank at my other property serviced by pacer and found that suburbans price was 30% higher than everyone else. We contacted brenda at suburban's tacoma office she advised us that their price was the going rate, and that the quotes we had from other companies were just for first time customers. My wife called and asked to be removed from automatic fill up, and was advised that suburban could not do this, and that it was not suburban's policy to allow customers to not be on automatic fill - up. I finally had to call myself and go round and round with their customer service staff to get removed from the auto fill - - basically telling them that i was not goine to pay for unathorized delivery. Once our tank was down to about 75 gallons, my plan was to rent another tank - - the difference in price on one fill pays for three years of tank rental. After checking competitor prices we called suburban for one final price check before changing - - they were still 30% higher. Now here is the real burn - - once suburban knew we planned to switch - - they dispatched a truck on sunday to fill our tank - - even though they had not been authrized to do so. When i called brenda again - - i received the run around and was given a couple options - - i could pay $195. 00 to terminate the service and another $340. 00 to pump out the propane they had delivered, or stick with the same excessive price and crappy customer service suburban provides. I did ask to talk with a supervisor, and was told they would get back with me - - well that has not happened. I would not recommend that anyone use suburban - - ever!<br / >
<br / >
Bhrett monroe (Extremely dissatisfied customer)

• Ld
    L&D Jul 16, 2019

I have also been a victim of price gouging by Suburban. I have used them (or their predecessor company) for almost 30 years. Last December, they charged me over 80% more than what my neighbors are paying. When I first moved into the neighborhood, their predecessor company was the only company that serviced our area. Naturally, I thought I had no choice. That ended and there are choices now, but I didn't know until they had already filled my 250 gal. tank. I tried to dispute the charges and they said they charge the customers who lease their tanks much more than the customers who buy the tanks (even though I pay a yearly rental fee). I asked how much it would cost to buy the tank, and they said they don't sell tanks anymore. Kind of a catch-22 situation, if you ask me. Yesterday, I received a bill for my yearly rental fee for the tank and it is 80% higher than last year. They have no shame. I will never do business with these people again. I'll have to use up the rest of the tank which will probably be this coming fall, and I'm expecting to be gouged again somehow when I end the service.

• Suburban Propane is a rip off. I was charged one amount for gas and then I called a different company to find out it was about 40 cents cheaper per gallon. I called Suburban and was basically told by a [censored] named Barb Derr that it was because of the trucks not being able to travel because of the weather. I am seriously considering getting rid of them. It might cost money to get rid of them but it will be worth it in the long run.

• Ga
    G and J Jul 23, 2018

Shortly after purchasing a second home in the country we received a letter from Suburban Propane (Indiana PA) informing us that we needed to contact them to open an account and continue service . I called and set up an account and said that because the three 100 gallon tanks were almost full it would be many months that a refill would be necessary .
    However for some reason during sub freezing temperatures last winter, without notice or permission, they entered our property and took the three 100 gal tanks . I had winterized the property by shutting off the water, turning on the heat tape at the water inlet and setting the interior thermostat to 50 degrees . Yet because of Suburban Propane, both toilets cracked, the hot water heater is damaged and the under sink water filter ruptured. They still have to reimburse us for the propane still in the tanks - each about 3/4 full at that point
    Why this isn't TRESPASSING, VANDALISM and THEFT ...I don't know .

• Ow
    O. Whipple Mar 28, 2018

We were told by Suburban Propane service tech that we had a corroded propane tank and that we should call Suburban Propane to schedule installation of a new propane tank. That was in November 2016. Five months later (March) we finally got it installed...after numerous phone calls and missed commitments and rescheduling efforts (due to no propane tanks----on backorder).

Doris (out of the Clearwater, Fl) office was very nice and communicated with us on a regular basis, ...HOWEVER management made commitments to us that were missed. They seem to be understaffed and demonstrate weak customer service.

• Vi
    Vini38804 Jan 03, 2018

Here in Tupelo MS, ever since Dowdle was bought by Suburban it has been unfair practice after unfair practice. Managers hide behind their sales ladies who cannot make any decisions on pricing. Price gouging seems to be the Suburban business model. They made me pay 2.99 for 200 gallons in Nov 2017, today they want 3.97 per gallon when the going rate was 2.30 in Mississippi (Nov 2011). They take advantage of peoples desperation to be warm. I'm down to less than 100 gallons - will wait for this to completely run out and change to a better company.

• Bu
    Buddy Travis Dec 14, 2017

Here in Alabama there is a law against price gouging Propane. But Its only in effect in cases of Emergency. I have a tank rented from Suburban. I called the other day to check Propane Prices. Suburban wanted $ 3.96 a gallon. So I called a couple of others and got prices of $1.29 and $1.25 with a $29.00 delivery fee. Its a shame we have to pay a penalty for renting there tanks. It should be an award for doing business with them. Non the less I told them to come get there tank off my property. I would advise others to do the same.

Gene Pickett Jul 07, 2017

They continued to charge me winter prices well into late June . Their fee structure is a rip-off. I bought propane at this location for 15 years and never had a problem. Then it was re flagged Suburban and all these bogus fees, none of which are quite same at my neighbors house, began to appear. Have changed to a small family owned business... GREAT prices and service. As an older retiree, it is a difficult to make a change... but trust me, do the math and will act sooner or later.

• Ro
    Ron Phillips Jul 06, 2017

I have been a customer of Suburban propane for the past three years and on March 14, 2017 asked for a delivery and was charged $4.029 a gallon. Looked on line at the going rate for my area, Found the rate was $2.79 a gallon. Very dissatisfied with the service and being ripped off. The company should be investigated and refunds for the difference should be made.

• Cl
    clash10660 Feb 12, 2016

Suburban purchased my local supplier 2 or 3 years ago. So I've had the same company/contract for 15 years total. Pricing Propane two weeks ago I was told 3.09 per gallon to fill up. Research shows residential prices should be sig less. I called customer service today to ask about rate and why my contract rate is so high. I was told the best they could do was 3.05. When I asked what there rate is for delivery if I owned my tank, she shyly told me 1.75. (CHOKE). So I have no choice to get a fillup due to weather conditions but I will be buying a tank this summer and giving my business to the lowest bidders in the future (Suburban will not be on my call list).

• Ke
    K E wallace Dec 29, 2015

I Totally agree with all the PRICE GAUGING COMPLAINTS. I called today to ask for a fill of only 50 gals. as I know Suburban raises their prices during the winter and felt it was all I could afford at the tune of $4.57 a gal. I was told the minimum purchase HAD to be 100 gal.=$457.00. Delivery won't be til next week, so I will diligently check for any alternative propane companies. I think my options are slim here in Kuna.

• italstal54 Nov 07, 2015

I have also been price gouged!
    A set pre pay amount per month for one year was agreed to on a full tank on September 2014. About halfway through the year our payment jumped 80 a month to 100 a month without notice only the bill in mail! When I called, they said it's because of rate hikes... I thought how can a rate change for something I had already bought in bulk for the year at said set per gallon price, not a refill this was a first time fill up on an empty used tank. AVOID if at all possible!!!

Comments

Geli Von Der Sauk Nov 03, 2015

I had a delivery from them about 2 weeks ago. Going rate for propane from their local competitors is 3.14 per gal. They charged me 4.29 a gallon. Called to complain and they lowered to 3.49 a gallon. Not great but better. I was told I had to pay a higher price because I use less gas than others. What a crock, you are going to pay the same price if you use the gas or don't use it. Go figure!!! Guess what, I'm on them and going to have their tank removed, and have their competition come in and bury me a new tank and supply my gas. I'm tring to purchase the tank and they won't even call me back or issue me a new bill for the lowered price. What a bunch of thevin' bastages!!! I think it's time to call the attorney general of the state on them and see about this price gouging stuff that they are doing.

• Fr
    Fritz5200 Nov 01, 2015

Suburban will fool you with a low first fill price that will be close to other company's. But always ask what the next few fillings will be priced at. Suburban quickly jumps the price up every time they refill your Tank.
    Always check around for prices and not just the first fill price, also tank rental and length of contract.
    Richmond area try Parker propane or Revel propane for good price and service.

• Fr
    Fritz5200 Nov 01, 2015

Yes by all means check around! Best time to switch is Summer, usually can get free hook up and tank delivery if you already have the connections. Suburban is the Highest Priced propane Company, and the Virginia office managers are rude and not helpful at all. They just don't care if you quit service.

• Re
    Reviewer62803 Aug 16, 2015

I have been a customer of Suburban Propane for one year. During the year, there has been a significant increase in the cost of propane provided by Suburban Propane. I soon received an $ 1100.00 bill and a "pre-pay" offer for the winter months under the pretext that I would save money by buying propane at the cost of summer pricing, instead of later at the winter pricing. I was currently being charged $3.51 per gallon with a pre- purchase winter price of $ 3.16 per gallon.

I began checking other propane providers and quickly discovered the current price for propane was a $1.39 per gallon, less than half of Surburban Propane's pricing. The provider I contacted also had a winter lock in rate of $1.69 per gallon, with no up front cost or "pre-pay", as Suburban Propane required.

I contacted Suburban Propane about their pricing. They lowered the cost a small amount, but refused to meet their competitors price.

In reviewing my bills, I noticed an ironic charge on my bill. A safety charge of $9.00. If I were to ever go back to Suburabn Propane, I would request they not charge me for a safety fee and go rogue. It would be interesting to see the unsafe handling of fuel delivery. I have since left Suburban Propane. I tried to resolve this issue through the state utility commission, only to find out they do not regulate propane companies.

• Ew
    EWBAWB May 26, 2015

This an unregulated monopoly. There are very few options in the are and they have gouged my Mother who is quite elderly for years. They will try to screw even their long-term customers because they know that most people are not watching carefully or dont have any easy options to switch propane suppliers. These people should be regulated by the State of Vermont until it can be shown there is real competition for these products and services. I would have no complaint if there was real competition for this product but there isnt and their CEO makes millions by ripping people off.

• Pr
    Propane4Less May 22, 2015

Join the Galway Co-op. You can't buy propane for less. www.galwayco-op.com

• Nj
    NJ- Jersey Girl Nov 03, 2014

I think it is absurd that the going price for propaine from Suburban is $3.94 and was told that I am lucky to have that rate as "other people" pay more. They could not inform me exactly who the "other" people were. I think Suburban Propane is raping their customers and lining their own pockets with money. A comlete rip off!!!

• Rl
    rlk557 Sep 25, 2014

Looks like Michigan AG has filed a suit against AmeriGas for propane price gouging.

• Ea
    Earthy Jan 28, 2014

Many people buy their propane tanks so they choose who fills it at any given time. Depending on how old the tank is, the capacity and condition, the price can vary. Our 500 gallon tank was new and in great shape. We paid $500 for it. Now, we keep our proof of purchase handy so we can prove to other companies that we own it and have the right to have anyone fill it.

• Am
    amsterdambirdlady Jan 24, 2014

I have been with this company for 20 yrs.. When they switched owners a few months ago and changed the name to Suburban, I didn't think much about it as this isn't the first new owner. I am on a fixed income and receive assistance for my heating bill. When the voucher came through they came to fill my tank. Propane should be about 2.60 a gal. in my area. I checked with a company called Litter in Chillicothe. They charged me 3.99 a gal.. if it were at the right price I could have gotten 2 fills but not at this ridiculous price and I may not have enough to get through the winter now. I don't have money for any more. These rip-offs should be sued!!!

• Am
    amsterdambirdlady Jan 24, 2014

I have been with this company for 20 yrs. but it wasn't always suburban. it was called blue flame. Propane should cost about 2.60a gal. in my area and they charged me 3.99a gal.. They are raping us and it must stop!!! I am on a fixed income and can not afford these outrageous prices... I will be switching to a different company as soon as possible. I would like to see them sued for their price gouging!!!

grandmah Jan 27, 2012

My 55 year old brother passed away May 2010. I was the admin. of his estate. I paid off all of his debts. Now about this company. My brother had a mobile home in Saratoga Springs he was retiring to. First, they over charged him for his propane, I think he took care of that, not sure, but what is really bothering me is that I keep getting a past due letter stating he owes them $10.70 for the rental of their tank! My other brother inherited this mobile home and has taken the responsibility of the propane and all the other bills associated with this mobile home. They know this, but they still keep sending me this bill. I have sent it back to them, several times, giving the address of the place and my other brothers name, which they already have, but I still keep getting this D*** bill! Every time I get the bill with my deceased brothers name on it, it opens the wound I have been trying to heal of losing my brother. He does not owe them anything and I am so upset about them shoving this bill in my face! I know this isn't a big deal to anyone else with problems with this company, but it is to me. The loss of my brother is devastating, and to have a stupid bill come over and over again for something he doesn't even owe, that is just plain ignorant!

Joe Sacotte Jan 08, 2012

This seems to be systematic practice of Suburban Propane. I've had the same experience with the office in the Marysville WA. They did offer a dollar a gallon credit when I complained about the price being 200% of thee local competitors. My situation is not resolved; a CPA claim possibly a class action may be the result.

• De
    deborah clementi Mar 27, 2011

here another complaint, they told me i was on a buget plan being disabled, in may i paid 120.00 a month then aug came and they said they ajusted me to 45.00 a month and what i paid befour will pull me thur the winter.well now its march and they want 450.00 a month for the next 4 months.thats more then half my disabilty check each month.they told me go seek heating help if i can.but im still responsable for the bill which there saying is omost 2, 000.00 now.weres the law in this? 10 times more and tuff for a answer.im in Tompkins county New York

• Bu
    bubbasmith182001 Mar 09, 2011

A very special tool is needed for that and not just anybody has one but the best way to get it removed is to pay the bill!

GREGWANAT Feb 28, 2011

I'm very tired of these rat [censor] @#$%$#@!
    I use very little propane, so they have instituted a "Minimum
    Delivery Charge. In my case over $85.00 for 12 gallons of propane. Of course $5.00 a gallon for heating oil, (#2 diesel
    with out the road tax.), is a real rip-off. Google "Suburban
    Propane Complaints" for a few ours of reading.

• St
    Stingray845 Feb 27, 2011

I am completely and utterly outraged!!!
    We just got a delivery of propane on Marh 22nd, and I was stunned to learn that we paid $5.085 a Gallon in the Lower Hudson Valley market! Really Suburban Propane??? How can a company get away with this? This morning I logged onto the NYSERDA website to get the region average and found it was $3.16 a gallon. Suburban propane has officially made my list and I want retribution. It's time to say enough is enough people, money is tight and they are taking advantage of us! Rise up and take a stand, we can make a difference.

Chris F. Feb 16, 2011

Hey Stealth Pilot, ...First, my propane gas tank is a lease, ...thus I am locked into buying my gas from them. They fill my tank about twice per year, and you're never notified in advance when they're coming, or what the price is going to be. You just come home from work, and find a bill on your door knob. Second, this complaint does serve a purpose, because most people just assume that gas from 1 company will be competitive with another (within 10-15% I would guess is reasonable). There is NO OTHER REASON why Suburban charges the prices they do. None of the reasons you cited are applicable in my situation, as I have now called 2 other companies, and $3.84/gal. is their max price vs. $5.99 what I was charged. I just need to Suburban's tank out of here. Just Google "Suburban Propane Complaints" and you will be inundated with messages from upset customers. Thanks to the internet, we can now all compare our service/prices. Most people just dutifully pay their bills and assume that the companies' prices will be within reason of their competitors, and they're not being gouged. My posts are meant to warn people otherwise. If my post serves no purpose, then what brought you here, and why did you respond? If you're happy with your propane service and prices, how did you find your way here? Maybe you work at Suburban, since I learned that they monitor the internet daily looking for complaints.

Chris F. Feb 15, 2011

Just got my (leased) tank filled today. $5.99.gallon! from Suburban Propane. According to what I read as national average(s), this is twice that price. They pulled this on me in October 2009. When I complained, they compromised by offering me 1 year @ $2.80/gallon. I agreed, and initially had some billing issues, but after a few calls to billing, they honored the agreement. I had called a competitor, who sold propane at that time for about $2.60. I was tempted to switch from Suburban to that competitor. Now, it’s back to $5.99 again. NOTE: I’m not shopping to save every last penny, ….I don’t mind if Suburban is a larger company with higher overhead, thus needs to charge a little more, but I’m not paying 100%+ more. You can bet I’ll be calling around again!

Chris F. Feb 15, 2011

• Wi
    William B Feb 09, 2011

link to class action lawsuit against suburban: http://www.suburban-propane-class-action.com/

my yearly horror story will follow

• Ed
    EddyH Jan 27, 2011

I hear you. I called to leeave SP this summer and they offered me the pre-buy program where I locked in at a low rate for about 400 gallons. So far so good. I assume when I go over 400 gallons its going to be expensive but I am hoping not to go too far over. Next summer I will do the same if the lock in price is good enough. Many neighbors have oil and they pay through the nose also. The best option is switching to Natural Gas, but it is not available in my neighborhood. I wish they would build out the pipeline I would be the first on the block to switch over. So for now I burn a couple of cords of wood in the stove each winter and keep the house at 60 degrees to save money. It's cold and it smells but, soon it will be March...lol

GenLove Jan 27, 2011

Suburban priced me at $1.99/gal but didn't tell me that it was only for the first year and if I don't use over a certain amount of propane the price goes up .. my bills were $170 every 3 months and then jumped up to $400 every 3 months. I have been faced with financial difficulties recently and without warning, suburban shut off my service today.. and it snowed about 6 inches last night. I was actually going to pay them this Friday with my income tax.. They didn't even come to our door to ask for a payment before they shut us off! Forget about paying them now! I'm going with green works.. they charge $2.249/gal with no rules..Suburban charges $5.89/gal.

• Fe
    FedUpwithSP Dec 28, 2010

I agree 100%!! This "minimum bill" is nonsense!! Why am I expected to pay for NOTHING!! Literally. I only have the gas tank for my hot tub! I haven't used my hot tub in over a year due to the heater not working. Therfore I have a tank full of propane!! They came out and only put in 1.8 gallons!! I was hot with a $183.00 bill! Are they serious??? They don't even mention the price per gallon?? How is this legal?? Apparently when I originally signed up with SP there is some "club" levels & I signed up for the cheapest one. I did NOT realize that I would be billed a minimum of $15.00 a month!! I would NEVER have agreed to that! Whatever happened to you pay for what you use/get?? So NOT happy with SP!!

GREGWANAT Oct 31, 2010

Had propane tank filled, only used for stove. 8.2 gallons, price $82.00 Dollars. Minimum delivery fee charged. WHO THE HELL ARE THESE ROBBER [censor], AND HOW THE HELL DO THESE [censor]ERS GET AWAY WITH THEIR ROBBERY!!!

• Ro
    Rob Dinkins Aug 18, 2010

Suburban Propane never fails to suprise me. I had my wife call (didn't give her name) to see what the price was per gallon for propane. They told her $1.99 a gallon (summer price) at Paris, Tn. store. I turned around and called as a loyal customer and was told the price was $2.49 per gallon. This was only 30 minutes after she had called and she told them she "wasn't" a customer! These guys are the biggest rip off of any propane company I can think of. I called another local seller and was told their price was $1.59! Also, they charge you $60 a year for tank rental!!!

• Pi
    pissed in Holley Jun 30, 2010

I just woke up after 5 years of overpaying. I was being charged $4.29 a gallon with Suburban because I only use about 250 gallons a year with a "gas log". They called me to replace my tank and then didn't show up the day of the switch. I was told that I had to be home. This was not conveyed to me at the time the appointment was made. In fact I told them I could not be home. After calling the next day to check, Suburban told me that they could come out the next day and I did not need to be home. Because I was so pissed off about the day before, I called around and found out that Hometown propane would charge me $2.44 a gallon, no delivery charge, no tank rental fee. Needless to say Suburban Propane will not be getting my business ever again. Now if they would just pick their tank up and get me my refund. Even there they are screwing the consumer, $1.00 a gallon restocking fee and tank pick-up fee. I'm glad I woke up, many more should !!!

NonServiam May 12, 2010

When I shopped around- I got first fill prices as well. (Ex: Ferellgas $2.39/gal, Pacer $2.30/gal, Amerigas $2.26/gal) The prices I was comparing were the normal market rate charged to existing costumers. And I've never been charged a leak test fee, despite running out of propane all the time.

But good ideas about pressing the issue to the manager and then home office. After reading the thousands of complaints against Suburban Propane and the class action lawsuit filed- I was pretty much ready to be done with the company.

• Ol
    old propane guy May 12, 2010

Your rate is based on the amount you use. All of the quotes you got were for new business, and are typically first fill prices. (Did you shop Suburban as ifyou were a new customer?)
    Remember, if you cancel auto delivery and run out, you will be charged a special delivery fee and probably a leak test fee as anyone who runs out must have a leak test performed on the system. The best way to control pricing is if you own your own tank. Then anyone can fill the tank. If you don't own the tank, Suburban is the only one allowed to fill it. Market forces have nothing to do with the weather. When you called to complain about the price, did you talk to the manager? If the manager won't do anything, complain to the home office. You can contact them through their website.