Sprintoutrageous, excessive fees

V Review updated:

My letter to Sprint for being overcharged for internet data usage.

To Whom it May Concern:

I have been a loyal customer to Sprint for over 10 years. I have six lines and work with a business partner who also has six Sprint lines. I pay Sprint thousands of dollars each year. Never have I been so outraged as to when I started being charged overages for internet data use. I am livid.

I'm certain the only reason Sprint has changed it's unlimited air card plan to 5GB is to charge excessive fees during this window of opportunity while your competitors gear up to take over this market. As CLEAR rolls out it's infrastructure and plans, Sprint has downgraded it's unlimited internet card plans to collect as much money as possible before CLEAR sweeps this market into its back pocket. It is obvious that these new fees you are collecting is to cushion Sprint from the impending damage that CLEAR will inflict. Not to mention that Comcast is becoming an attractive contender with much lower pricing.

I resent being treated this way as a long-time, loyal customer. After paying $100/month for two data cards, it is unbelievable I am incurring additional charges for simply using the internet. This is ridiculous! I am not downloading songs, watching movies or gaming. I am engaging in typical social and business-related activities.

You and I both know Sprint will go back to unlimited internet use (with major fanfare and promotion) as soon as your customer base realizes new and better options are available. I am elated that consumers have many outlets through blogs and customer review sites to voice their complaints.

I am especially infuriated that I was misinformed by two Sprint representatives. On two separate occasions, I was advised that the only time I would incur overages on my internet data plans is if I "downloaded" over 5GB. Now, I find that this is untrue. Mere surfing also accrues against my limit. My suggestion is to TRAIN your employees well. I could have easily used free Wifi at work, or utilized my home wireless net work more often. But because I was told (twice) that surfing was free and that only downloads counted toward my 5GB limit, I freely used my Sprint internet card. I would have been much more cognizant of my time on the Sprint network had I been properly advised. It is not fair to penalize your customer when you failed to train your employees.

The only bright spot in all of this is that Ms. Robyn W. was exceptional at listening to me vent--quite fervently, I might add--as i gave Sprint a verbal lashing for this "abusive" practice. She was cordial, professional, and as accommodating as possible. But this problem goes far beyond Ms. Robyn W's involvement. Driving up costs in expectation of ferocious, eminent competition is unfair, ungrateful and opportunistic toward your loyal customer base. If Sprint doesn't change this immediately, outraged customers will vote with their feet...meaning they will walk away and not look back.

As each of my devices cycles out of my Sprint contracts, I will begin trying other providers. Though I have been occasionally annoyed with Sprint in the past, I have never been this irate, and nor have I ever seriously considered leaving...that is, until today.

I am beyond disappointed with Sprint. And from the complaints I've read online, so it is with many others.

• A
      Oct 09, 2009

Surfing IS downloading. Every time you open a webpage, that webpage is downloaded to your computer, which then displays it for you.

Did Spring specifically say that surfing was free or did they only say that downloads counted?

If they said that downloads counted, they probably thought you knew that all surfing involved downloading.

Either way, 5GB is really an excessively small limit.

• M
      Oct 09, 2009

I know the feeling exactly, i just added a third phone for my son.we wanted a plan with onle messaging.so we get the phone then my son decides to download two sports premiums, fine it was only $13.then i check the usage online i see the two charges for those then $75 charge!the rep says its for using the two premiums .What!!This is outrageous.they put the data on the phone knowing that if a kid gets a hold of it they are going to get on it, when i called to complain the lady says well we can block the internet, ok so why wasnt it blocked before considering i didnt have the data plan.this is a rip off and i will surely be looking at my other options.

• G
      Oct 26, 2009

to momoffouri:

Maybe the reason why internet was not blocked is because you haven't specifically asked for it to be blocked. If you are saying the plan was for mesaging only, then i suppose it is the Everything Messaging Plan for 1500 Shared minutes (I consider it the shared plan as per you have 3 phones where the third line is actually charges for $9.99 because the plan goes out for 2 phones only.) The Everything Messaging Plan offers Unlimited text services & picture mail. People often are mistaken that picture mail are done through the website itself. So these consumers, access the piture mail service online, which is incorrect. There is a proper way of using it. Send the picture by browsing through your phones memory (where the pictures are stored), choose send & send it to the number you want to send it. In retrieving the, download them & do not view them as per KB's (Unit of usage when it comes to internet) goes through your phone even if your on idle. Viewing them opens up the INTERNT BROWSER. The reason why we don't block Internet or the reason why we dont offer to block it sometimes is because Internet is used as a gateway for the picture mail service to work. What if you called us back stating picture mail is suppose to be unlimited & why cant you use it? Its because Internet is blocked. Then another follow-up question will throw up. It is included in my plan so why should i be charged for internet. My answer would be, "Ma'am/Sir, you've had history of adjustments when it comes to Casual Data Charges (Internet). How can i be sure that you won't be charged for the Internet again resulting to valid charges being taken out of your account? If you are 45 years old, i understand, you exert effort in using picture mail. But judging your profile here, it seems like you are just 27 years old. Golly... Is this your first time having a high-end phone?"

Call gets disconnected automatically.

Sometimes, you have to think first before embarssing yourself.

• C
      Nov 21, 2009

I HAVE TO DEFINITELY AGREE WITH VVNOVEMBER ABOUT THE SPRINT DATA USAGE INTERNET FRAUD! I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL CUSTOMER OF SPRINT FOR ABOUT 7 YEARS, THEY HAVE INDEED CAUSE ME DISSAPOINTMENTS BUT NEVER HAS IT EXCEEDED TO BEING THIS FAR.. ABOUT A MONTH AGO I HAD MY PLAN GO FROM HOLD TO "WHAT I BELIEVED TO BE UNLIMITED INTERNET USAGE!!" NEVER DID I RECEIVE ANY NOTIFICATION THAT MY PLAN HAD BEEN CHANGED TO 5GB OF DATA USAGE ONLY!! HHHEEELLLOOO THAT IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.. I WOULD THINK A HUGE COMPANY WOULD KNOW HOW TO DO BUSINESS THE RIGHT WAY.. AND NOT THE CORRUPTED WAY... SO I RECEIVE MY BILL WHICH STATED I HAD GONE OVER SO MANY GB AND STATED I OWED $500.00! IN EXCESSIVE CHARGES!! I CALLED ARGUED WITH THEM THAT NO ONE !! NOT IN SPRINT STORE ... NO LETTER.. NO CALL... NOTHING!!WHERE IT STATED MY PLAN HAD CHANGED!! THEY TOLD ME THEY WOULD TAKE XTRA CHARGES OFF SINCE I WAS UNAWARE OF SITUATION... LITTLE DID I KNOW THAT THEY REVERSED CHARGES BACK ON ME AGAIN!!! I CALLED THEM AGAIN BECAUSE THIS ALL TOOK PLACE WITHIN A WEEK THAT I HAD LAST SPOKE WITH THEM..
    THIS TIME I SPOKE TO FOUR DIFFERENT "EMPLOYEES" TWO OF WHICH WERE SUPERVISORS .. I ARGUED ONCE AGAIN.. THAT WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY EXCESSIVE CHARGES TO A SOMETHING I HAD NEVER BEEN NOTIFIED ON .. HE LITERALLY TOLD ME THAT HE WOULD CALL ME BACK IN REGARDS TO HELPING ME SOLVE THIS ISSUE.. NEVER HEARD FROM THE SUPERVISOR AGAIN!! THIS IS PURE SCAMS AND LIKE THE LADY ABOVE SAID THEY ARE GOING TO LOOSE A LOT OF BUSINESS!!! AND WE AS CONSUMERS HAVE A RIGHT TO VOICE OUR BAD TREATMENTS SO OTHERS DONT FALL FOR IT..!! GO WITH ANOTHER INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER!! DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH SPRINT!! GO WITH CRICKET!! CLEAR!! COMCAST!! EMPLOYEES AT SPRINT HAVE NO TRAINING!! ANOTHER REMARK, THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR WAS THE FIRST REP. I SPOKE WITH SHE SAID AND I QUOTE "MS. NOT EVEN IF YOU WERE PRESIDENT OBAMA, WOULD I BE ABLE TO PUT YOU ON THE UNLIMITED PLAN!!" THIS WAS LITERALLY UNCALLED FOR.. I WOULD THINK THAT SPRINT TRAINS THERE EMPLOYEES A LITTLE BETTER THAN THIS CHILDISH REMARK!! TO TOP IT OFF HER SUPERVISOR WAS LAUGHING IN THE BACKGROUND!! YEP... SHE SAID THAT AND I WILL LATER ON ADD THE NAMES OF THE REPRESENTATIVES I HAD THE HORRIFIC EXPERIENCE OF DEALING WITH THAT DAY!! I HOPE THEY LAUGH WHEN THEY NO LONGER HAVE JOBS...THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!

CINDY R.--FROM CHICAGO, IL.

• H
      Nov 21, 2009

The 5 GB cap has been in effect for a while now (mid 2008), sprint changed whenever the "other" companies changed theres to guess what 5GB. CLEAR, i suppose you mean Clearwire which has nothing to do with the change, infact Sprint and clearwire are partners along with several other companies including Comcast. the notification was sent in the bill as i got one in mine stating it was going to be capped at 5GB. I have been with sprint for about 7 years and have a total of six subscriptions with no problems at all because i pay attention to everything that is sent including inserts in my bills. Had you read the insert, saw the 5GB cap and realized that yes anytime you are on the web you are downloading information. Also by your letter it seems the two "untrained" employees did notify you of the 5GB cap and that the only time you would be charged is if you exceed it. After this you exceeded that cap and got billed. so in conclusion, whats the problem pay your bill for services that you used and were informed of the charge and pay attention to what you are doing next time.

• S
      Dec 05, 2010

i am a sprint customer n i've been w/them since 2003 n neva had a problem w/my bill. i kow what my plan includes and what it does not. i think people need to be more responsible and not blame sprint for their actions. f u have a child that has a phone n ur on a plan that does not include data u have to have data blocked, f u have a data card u need to watch ur use. people cant get mad cus sprint wont replace a phone that does not have insurance. u cant get good cheap plans @ ne otha company and set up payment arrangments. try to set up payment arrangments w/tmobile r att on a monthly basis. umm...u cant. u dont get any mobile any time ne otha carrier w/unl txt, data and mins. sprint is the best carrier out there.the plans are cheap and the company has improved on satisfying customers alot.

• M
      Dec 11, 2010

I agree with others complaining about Sprints 5GB cap. I have been on an unlimited plans for over two years. I began having connection problems and Sprint said I should try out a new card. So I did, once I did though, I was signed on to another 2 year contract. I didn't mind though, I had no problems. The guy told me it was the same plan, nothing different other than being 3G/4G, which is the "latest". . So here I am a month and a half later and find two statements adding up close to 800 dollars in "overage" fees!!! This IS fraud. Contract signing is one thing, but the verbal agreement is also another, and I'm going to fight this. How does someone go from paying $61 dollars a month to $800 without a red light flashing? Does this customer realize she has a cap? NO!! I didn't!! Never even HEARD OF IT! Was there a point in time where Sprint was going to inform me that they would no longer honor the unlimited plan? I feel as if I was tricked into a new contract in order to get me off of the unlimited plan which is now non-existent. This is trickery! Now I see that this cap took effect a while back. So...Is THIS why my stick stopped working? May be! Because when i took the stick and my laptop to the store, the stick worked fine. It wasn't my stick at all. THEY just wanted me to UPGRADE to the new stick, which forced me to be OUT of the old unlimited plan. This is disgusting. They're gonna pay for this!

• S
      Apr 25, 2016

I have always been happy with sprint but they don't care about senior citizens on fixed incomes. I have never missed a payment even though I started with family and friends for45$ it has gone steadily up . They resently told me I had to change my plan. Guess what my new bill is $205 . I only make $1000 a month my husband is disabled due to emphsema. I am really mad and I telling everyone

• P
      May 29, 2016

I accidently over paid my bill last month because the internet kept stopping so I had to keep starting over. So apparently it except ed all the payments. Now I'm $ 601 in the positive. I have all pics of my book showing paid and prepayment.in the store the sprint lady called coorparate confirmed payment received and over paid. They said would send me a fefund. Now today they cut my other line off saying I still owe because lack of payment. They say the they fixing it mine off too. Been with them 11 years. Plz help