Spirit Airrip off!!!

Spirit Air sucks you in with the 'low fares' and promotions--don't fall for it!!! Please check other airlines for pricing. By the time you pay all the 'extras' for seat-assignment (both ways), baggage (both ways), early check-in (both ways), etc...you will have paid the same amount using almost any other airline. Only most other airlines CARE ABOUT YOU RETURNING AS A CUSTOMER!!!

I booked tickets for 3 from Orlando FL to San Juan PR in Febuary for flight in April. I had to reschedule our flight due to a conflict of schedule with work. I knew there would be a fee to reschedule, but I was not prepared for what this scamming airline did next...Rather than just charge the fee to change our flight dates, they charged the fee ($110.00 per person--RIDICULOUS in itself. They will STILL sale the seats to another passenger!), they were then going to charge an ADDITIONAL $608.OO for new tickets, fees, etc!!! I changed flight dates with Delta once before--all I was charged was $50.00 in addition to what I already paid for the ticket, was told to use the same confirmation number and that I would only have to pay the fee when I decided on a new flight date. Sounds like Delta likes thier customers...

Here's the rundown...Spirit CANCELLED (there is a difference between 'rescheduling' and 'cancelling') our original tickets to the tune of $110.00 per person, then tried to gouge us on NEW tickets! Rescheduling or changing a flight implies that the original ticket will be in effect when the change is made (with a fee added on)--not so with Spirit--they cancell your tickets and try to sale new ones at a much higher rate with ADDITIONAL fees...! They were nice enough, however, to offer me a Spirit Visa or Mastercard!?!? Which I politely refused! I will NEVER use Spirit again, nor will I recommend them to ANYONE. If you're considering Spirit--please BEWARE! The sales promos look great on the surface, but that is where it ends!

• Sp
    SpiritAirNeverAgain Jun 15, 2011

A friend and I took a trip from Los Angeles, CA to Punta Cana, The Dominican Republic with a stop in Ft. Lauderdale last month in celebration of our birthdays. Neither one of us had flown Spirit Air before but both of us left saying we never will again - and we heard at least 3 other sets of people say the same during our travels. I know the tickets are cheap but we were appalled to find out that we couldn't even get a free glass of water during the entire flight! The seats on our planes were ridiculously close together. Something fell out of my purse during take off and I LITERALLY COULD NOT reach the ground to grab it because my head hit the seat in front of me. I couldn't go any further so my unknown item had to stay on the ground until we landed.

On one of our flights (PUJ to FLL) we watched in shock as one of the male flight attendants rudely snatched a beer out of the hands of a passenger because he was trying to quickly drink it before take off. Before getting on the plane, this gentleman was told that it would be ok to bring beer on the plane but the Spirit Air staff failed to tell him and his party that they were not allowed to DRINK it. It really made NO sense, seeing as how they SELL beer to DRINK on the plane.

The staff, in general, on our flights were not especially friendly or accommodating. It was like we received the bottom of the barrel on every level possible. At this rate, based on general consensus, Spirit Air will be bankrupt by 2017.

Although I doubt it, maybe Spirit Airlines is a glaring example of "getting what you pay for" so I will definitely think twice about flying "cheap" again.

• Co
    CommonSense Feb 18, 2009

Are you just going to post this every day?

• Co
    CommonSense Feb 17, 2009

Don't blame Spirit, blame :
    1. Yourself for getting there late
    2. The Government, who makes the rules

• Ke
    Kevin Feb 17, 2009

In 2017 my wife and I planned a trip. We get to Ft lauderdale airport and check in the baggage. We were a little late but still had time during boarding to get on the plan. By the time we get thru security they had just closed that door that leads to the plane. The plan was still sitting there. 2 workers at the gate refused to help us. All they had to do was call security to open the door and let us get on the plane. This 18 year old just sits down and ignores me. She just says to go to the ticket counter for help. Yea right with a 45 minute line there and another 30 minute wait for security I'm gonna walk back for help. So after 15 minutes of no help the plane backs out and takes off with our luggage.

• Al
    Alex Jul 27, 2008

Spirit's poor customer service is almost a joke. The Indian people that you speak with on the phone are barely literate, and the woman I spoke with, "allison" just put me on hold and then hung up on me when I told her the calculations she was giving me to modify my ticket didn't make any sense.

I will never fly this ### airline again, and suspect they'll file for bankruptcy shortly. No American will ever put up with this pathetic customer service. What a shame! Spirit used to be a fun and well run airline.

• Sp
    Spirape Victim Jul 16, 2008

I'm a travel agent and I just booked my first and last ticket on SPI-RAPE AIRLINES!!! I will never subject any of my clients, friends or family to their customer-no-service, rapist mentality again!

I should have known to leave the site and book elsewhere because to get the reservation done, it too 4 tries - page kept crashing and sending me back to the starting point!

Then you get to a page that quotes what you think is what you'll pay for the travel and once you enter your credit card info, and hit continue - THAT MAKES THE 'SALE' FINAL (excuse me, but is that not supposed to happen in the "CONFIRM!" phase of things which happens to be the LAST STEP showing on their website...???!!!)

The BAIT & SWITCH:
    The ### don't give you the choice of not buying the ticket once you become aware of the baggage charge: they collect each phase of the rape separately, by the time you realize you have to pony up another chunk for baggage it's too late - YOU JUST BOUGHT A NON-REFUNDABLE TICKET on the previous page!!!

After the credit card info screen, aka the RAPE SCENE, you are carted to the "LAST CHANCE TO PRE-PAY FOR YOUR BAGGAGE!" screen where you are offered the opportunity to add $15 for the 1st piece of checked luggage and should you require a 2nd piece of checked luggage--ADD another $25 to the $15 (so, now you're at $40 over the price you were quoted initially!
    ...mind you--their website clearly stated that the price for checked luggage (up to 2 pieces) was $10 EACH, but the calculation was done based on $15 for bag #1 and add another $25 for bag #2.--according to the rude agent in INDIA who hung up on me-"the cost has changed ma'am, the site has not yet been updated." (I asked if the customers were to pay for the company not updating their site and he explained that whatever the calculated price showed was what I had to pay, pretty much END OF DISCUSSION!)

Once you've gotten past the inital shock of your ordeal, gone to the ER, had your rape kit processed and scheduled your counseling session to deal with the DINNERLESS DATE-RAPE that you feel just took place, then comes the part where SPI-RAPE Airlines coughs up a nice one and spits it right in your face!

Ladies and Gentlemen:
    If you want to sit in the middle of two strangers, by all means you are given the honorable option of paying a mere $5 to select a center seat (BLUE ZONE!)

If you happen to need to sit in an aisle/window seat(GREEN Zones) for whatever reason, the PRIVILEDGE of selecting your own seat will cost you $10 dollars in addition to what you've already paid!

And to anyone like me who's over 6 feet tall and needs to sit in an exit row for the extra leg room...GET READY--as if life's not already challenging enough--sitting in an exit row, YES, AN EXIT ROW (designated RED ZONE), you know the one where you have to speak English fluently per FAA regulations so that you may assist others in the event of an emergency) will cost you $15 MORE.

YES, THIS IS ON TOP OF THE un-"FARE, " the "BAGGAGE CHARGE" and of course any applicable taxes and fees!

To be fair, I must say that there is a note on the site regarding free seat-assignment that may occur at check-in, but as my poor sister said "WHAT"S TO SAY THEY WON'T MAKE YOU SIT IN THE TOILET THE WHOLE WAY THERE!?!!" They've sure treated their customers like crap to this point, so that would be NO SURPRISE!

I should also note that the baggage and seat payment screens both crashed and reverted me to the initial pages twice before I could get payments processed - way to go SPI-RAPE what else don't you properly maintain!?!!!

BEN BALD-ANZA, I'm here to tell you, on behalf of all your RAPE-VICTIMS, WE ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE. WE INTEND TO TELL THE WORLD! And, KNOW THIS--"You might not believe it-HA!-But, I talk a lot! I talk a lot! And, in case you didn't read that - I TALK A LOT! AND, SO DO MY FRIENDS, FAMILY, BUSINESS ASSOCIATES, FELLOW TRAVEL AGENTS, CLIENTS. Wait, I almost forgot OUR ATTORNEYS, EMPLOYERS, SENSIBLE AIRLINE EXEC FRIENDS OF OURS (oh, yeah those are your competitors! hmm--INTERESTING!!!), INVESTORS, MEDIA CONTACTS, SUPPLIERS, MARKETING PROFESSIONALS and ALL HUMAN BEINGS WHO KNOW YOU ARE WRONG--WE TALK A LOT!

YOU HAVE MY WORD! Just in case your Outlook proficiency didn't do an adequate job - WE WILL NOT TO LET YOU DOWN: THE WORLD WILL BE TOLD!

• Da
    Dawn F. Ross Aug 22, 2007

I was a first-time customer of Spirit Air and using their web site for the first time. I was attempting to book a flight for three at the advertised bargain price of $59 per person, one way. The web showed the price at 3X that amount, but indicated that the booking was for 3 people. I booked, then immediately realized my mistake, so I called the airline to have them undo. I spent the next 3 hours on hold only to be told that they could only provide a limited-time voucher. I could not rebook, as the bargain price was no longer available. Now I have a $1040 credit on an airline I'll never use. The only constraint indicated on the web site was that the price was only available until midnight of the day I purchased. The language seemed to suggest a buying frenzy. It was all very misleading. I'm furious.

• Fr
    Frank Preve Jul 06, 2007

My wife flew from FLL to Lima, Peru on July 3. Even though it was a non-stop flight, her luggage never made it. When she arrived in Lima, she found dozens of people clamoring for their bags with the Spirit agent -- these were people who had flown four or five days earlier who had still not received their luggage. At this point it was obvious that Spirit has an infrastructure problem that does not allow all of the baggage to accompany a specific flight and it has no way of rectifying the problem in a timely manner (it has only one flight per day to Lima).

On July 6, I went to the Spriit Baggage office at FLL and asked them to tell me the status of her luggage. They told me it had been shipped that afternoon to Lima. My wife went to the Lima airport to claim her luggage but it did not arrive. The agent told her it could be "days" before the luggage leaves Fort Lauderdale. Since she was returning to FLL in a few days, she asked if she did receive the luggage was she going to have the same problem transporting it back to FLL from Lima. The agent said "definitely".

At this point we decided it would be best not to send the bags to Lima so I tried contacting Spirit's lost luggage center by telephone. The voice recording tells you to leave a message and they will return your call within 24 hours; however, their mail box is full so you can't leave a message. If you try to call the reservation center, they just pass you through to the same voice mail box (which is still full!!).

Here is an ongoing business that deliberating misleads its customers to think that their luggage is going to accompany their flight. Obviously it is physically impossible for it to do so and many, many people are finding this out the hard way.

There are many hidden costs to "cheap tickets" and this is obviously one of them.

• La
    LA Jul 01, 2007

I am so frustrated right now. My husband and I arrive at 8:00 pm for a flight out at 12:59a.m to Guatemala from LAX. Were were told that we could not be checked in until 9:00pm. So we sat and waited until 10 till as we saw the long line and figured by the time we got to our turn it would be 9. Then a gentlemen asked where we were going and we told him Guatemala, he then told us we had to get out of line because they were only checking in people going to Detroit. We said fine, but there is a lot of people in front of us. Blah Bah the guy was making a bunch of us get out, but were stuck and could not move because there was a huge line of people going through the x-ray machines with their luggage blocking our way. They guys was a total jerk and kept being very rude and final giggled and said that our Guatemala flight was canceled and walked away!!! We were all so upset in the way he said it. Finally there was a lady explaining about some storm in Guatemala, later a storm in Ft. Lauderdale. They could not get the story straight. Basically no flight and about 120 people were left hanging to call after 11pm when they would have more operators to help us reschedule our flight. Mind you they were not going to proceed with an extra flight the next to to accommodate all of the customers from the canceled flight. Instead they were going to split us up on first come serve basis on the next couple of flights in the next days. Well, good luck getting through on the phone!!! I was on hold for over 4o minutes when I finally got through and the rep disconnected me!!! so I had to call back and I am on the phone right now and have been on hold for 32 minutes. "your call is very important to us" is getting old!!! I will never fly with this airline ever. Their way of doing business is unethical!