Silverleaf Resortsdo not fall for it!

My girlfriend jokingly entered one of those contests set up in malls with the flashy cars and huge prizes, and got a phone call saying she was selected to win one of 4 prizes if she came out to a resort in Flint, TX and listened to some presentation.
She decided we should go, and we were both more than prepared to say no. We sat down one-on-one with one of their salespeople, and spent a good 45 minutes just answering questions about where and how often we like to vacation. After some basic math, she told us that over the next 20 years, we'd spend about $80, 000 on vacationing. Before telling us the price of this supposed 'great offer' she took us on a tour of the resort. It was nothing too special, and not many actual guests around. She was more than friendly the whole time, joking with us and incorporating other things we had told her previously into her spiel.
Once we sat back down and she told us the outrageous $3, 000+ down payment and $400+ a month payments, we said no. After that, she seemed to get a little distant and uninterested in us, now that she knew she wouldn't be getting her commission off our purchase. She called a manager over, who was supposedly from a different department and was just helping out. He too was very friendly and jovial, and said he wanted to find a way to help us afford this timeshare.
He came back with what was, in comparison to the first set of numbers, a great deal. It was an old deed, bought years ago when the resort was nothing but construction, that had been sold in order to upgrade. He said he was able to offer it to us for roughly $8, 000, and included bonus time and an RCI upgrade option. Basically, any time during our "blue week" period (the "starter" time period, which included early January-mid March, and mid November-mid December), we could come out for a few days at a time during the week and stay at no charge. Nice perk, I guess, if you don't mind the weather during most of that time period. What really got us whas the RCI exchange program. He pulled out a huge book, opened it to a random page, and showed us multiple 5-star resorts in exotic placed that we could stay in at any time of the year, for only $199.
Once he checked my credit, he gave us a small down payment, and very low monthly payments, and we were sold.
We signed the papers, played a scratch-off card for one of the prizes we initially came for, and were on our way home.
In that 2-hour drive, however, it hit us that we were now tied down into a 7-year loan, with a high interest rate, and were probably not going to fit much vacationing into the very limited blue time frame. I read into the contract, found that we had 6 days to cancel, and had two letters of cancellation in the mail, both to the resort and the corporate offices, the next day.
Don't get fooled by these great "one time" deals they offer at these presentations. I can guarantee they would give you the exact same deal any other time you came in if it meant getting your business. I've read enough stories from satisfied owners to know that you CAN get what you pay for, but other times, it's just flashy sales tactics and supposed great deals that no one else would be able to get, just to keep you from walking away.
This is not something that should be decided in the couple hours they talk to you, especially with salespeople pressuring you. You CAN cancel these loans without damage to your credit, and if they try to tell you otherwise, don't listen. If you cancel within your state's "cool-off period", there is legally nothing they can do to keep you in the contract.
If you made the same mistake I, and other people, have, there is a way out.

• Li
    Listen carefully!! Feb 05, 2013

Wow! Now I know to avoid those flashy car entry prizes at the mall. They lure you in don't they. I just received a call saying if I go to the hill country resort I will win one of the four prizes. Named all the nice cars, vacations and 500 cash. Reality if I really did win just mail me the 500 then lol. But good thing my cellphone died to avoid the scam of it all.

• Ca
    Cali3846 Jun 11, 2012

That's the same game they ran on my wife and I but we declined the second offer of 8k with 700 down. So they offered us a 1yr trial period for 90$ down and 90$ a month so we took that but when we visited the resort for the first time on a day pass, it was a terrible experience and they flat out lied about the free amenities and the service and food were horrible as well.