Having problems with Rheem?

+1 800 621 5622 (Customer Service, Warranty & Parts)
+1 800 432 8373 (Technical Service)
+1 334 260 1500 (Division Office, Sales & Marketing)
+1 866 720 2076 (General Information)
+1 800 255 2388 (EcoNet Customer Service)
+1 479 646 4311 (Heating & Cooling Products)
+1 334 260 1500 (Water Heating Products)
+1 805 278 5300 (Pool & Spa Products)
+1 256 259 7400 (Commercial Refrigeration)
+1 336 495 6800 (Replacement Parts)
+61 296 849 100 (Australia)
+61 130 013 2950 (Australia, Pool Heating)
+64 98 290 200 (New Zealand)
+65 68 721 161 (Singapore)
+54 114 896 6000 (Argentina)
1100 Abernathy Road, N.E. Suite 1400

475 Rosebank Road, PO Box 19011, Avondale, Auckland 1007 New Zealand

Singapore
8 Pandan Crescent β„– 02-02, Singapore 128464

UAE
Office 2E, 407 Building 2E (East side), Dubai Airport Freezone, Dubai, 371045, UAE

Argentina
Av. del Libertador 6570 – 6o Piso, C1428ARV Buenos Aires – Argentina

Brazil
Av. Queiroz Filho, n° 1700, Sky Tower ‘A” Suite 707, Vila, Hamburguesa, CEP 05319-000 – São Paulo – SP – Brasil

Chile
Logroño 3871, Estación Central, Santiago de Chile

Mexico
Guillermo González Camarena, β„– 1400, Int. 201, Colonia Centro de Ciudad Santa Fe, Delegación Álvaro Obregón, C.P. 01210. México, D.F.

Complaints & Reviews

High electric bills

I had new air conditioner installed in 2009. Since then a new unit was installed 7 times. Rheem Air...

They repaired my system 10 times and without any result.

I have bought air conditioning system from them. After two months it started to sound strange and the speed became lower... I called to them as i had a guarantee. They sent me a master and he repaired the system. It happened in the same way some 10 times and now I am so angry that I want to kill them!

Rheem Tankless is Junk

Had a Rheem GT-199DVN-2 tankless installed in a new home construction. After 20 months the circuit board went out. Rheem admits to bad boards from their supplier. This was an $1800 water heater with installation. Parts are warrantied for three years but labor to install parts is on the consumer after one year. This work is $100 an hour. The repair did not last two hours after the technician left. Over the next 30 days we had to pay for installation of 2 boards, a gas valve, and the controller, all while having no hot water. We were eventually reimbursed for all but $200 of the repair costs. The repairs lasted until November (3 1/2 months) and it started to fail again. I finally yanked the piece of junk off the wall and installed a tank type heater. I wrote a letter to the CEO of Rheem and quoted him their own quality policy. I've had no reply. If you are thinking of buying a Rheem water heater, save yourself a lot of grief. Rheem uses cheap foreign parts and does not stand behind their products.

Hot water tank ignition

Rheem Technical Service told us we needed new thermostat (still under warranty), and that parts would be shipped overnight even though Memorial Day weekend; and we were told we could install it easily ourselves, and that technicians were available by phone to guide us through the installation. Not the case.

We received the parts 7 days later despite numerous calls and promises.

We could not install it easily ourselves--in fact written material cautioned NOT to attempt replacement--needed a qualified service specialist. Even our experienced plumber refused to tackle the replacement! Oh yes, there was no technician available by phone on weekends or nights.

When I asked Rheem technician how I could possibly replace the device myself when a certified plumber refused the job and asked the tech to 'walk me through' the repair--he hung up on me. (Yes I was terse and sarcastic in tone, but I was polite and not belligerent!)

We were told by Rheem that the labor cost would be between $60-$100 and was not covered under warranty; however only service specialist in Capital District, New York said cost is $175.

I hope the repair goes smoothly this morning. I'll let you know if it doesn't.

airconditioner

We installed a rheem central airconditioning unit for 6500 dollars. A coil is leaking and the company has dragged its foot since may. The airconditionerinstaller has to come by every few days to add refrigeration so we have cool air.Company says the new coil will be delivered but for now they can't stop the assembly line to get a new coil for this particular unit. Bad strategy we will never recommend a Rheem. Marinus Plooy

leaking

I have a similar problem (as Collin) with my Rheem Model 21VR75N 75 gallon Water Heater. In my case the water...

yellow burner flame

rheem hot water heater, 3 months old.

main burner lightes o'k, but flame then turns yellowish and folds back into the center of the burner. The vents are clear, the exaust

is clear (3 inch on a 40 gal.) and plenty of fresh air. This did this right after the install.

Dennis

DEFECTIVE UNIT

I PURCHASED THIS UNIT FROM COMPACT APPLIANCE, IT WAS DEFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UPON INSTALLATION. THEY REFUSE RETURN AND THE MANUFACTURER WILL NOT HONOR WARRANTY OR TAKE UNIT BACK EITHER I SUGGEST TO STAY AWAY FROM BOTH

pilot light continues to go out

The pilot on my eight yr old Rheem water heater continues to go out. I have notified my home protection plan several times and thus had several different plumbing companies check it out...to no avail. The thurmal couple has been replaced twice, the pilot orfice 'cleaned out' twice, and at other times it's just been lit and off they go...I've never been advised to replace the hot water heater.
It's been suggested that I don't have enough ventilation in the attic by some plumbers...others say there IS enough ventilation and that it's just too hot.
NOW, it's been suggested that I leave the attic door open (down) for ventilation...and I'm complying.
I'm afraid that the stinkin' thing might blow up! What do I do?
It's not right to have to do this make-shift requirement. If the pilot light's not working...what else is not working?!
Help...please!

joanie high Aug 21, 2008

I'm afraid that the stinkin' thing might blow up! What do I do?
    Help...please!

Disreputable practices, worthless warranty

A thoroughly disreputable company. Warranty is worthless. If your Rheem water heater has a 6 year warranty and fails after 3.5 years (as ours did), you may find them using all kinds of questionable tactics to escape responsibility.

On three separate calls to three agents they insisted our heater was 7 years old. They had clearly been trained to say this, the patter was so automatic. When challenged with their own web-site’s data, which stated (correctly) that the heater was still under warranty, they did not know what to say and hung up! The house had been built only 3.5 years earlier! And indeed, the heater’s body was date-stamped 3.5 years ago. What was going on here? Either Rheem was lying, or the plumber or the plumber’s merchant had supplied old product, falsely relabelled. Of course the plumber and his merchant denied that. Finally after a lot of photos, heated phone calls, and intervention by the plumber’s merchant in escalating to Rheem management, we discovered the procedure for making a claim.

Rheem’s claims are handled by a third party agency, ESIS Risk Management. We supplied photos of the leaking rusty tank and the flooding in the cellar and adjacent room that it had caused. ESIS are apparently tarred with the same dirty brush as Rheem. Despite the overwhelming evidence, ESIS' Susan Fritts insisted there was no proof of defect and that a report was required from a ‘forensic plumber.’ Oh yeah, like we had sabotaged our own heater and voluntarily lived without hot water for two weeks?? The forensic exam could cost $1000 and would not be reimbursed even if Rheem were found to be at fault!! Outrageous! That’s more than the cost of a new heater! ESIS and Rheem had created an impossible obstacle.

So we were stuck with buying a new heater. Now these things are built like tanks (ha!). They should not fail after 3. 5 years, sitting untouched in a basement. It makes you wonder if Rheem is supplying old refurbs that are falsely relabelled with a new manufacturing date. And then wriggling like crazy to escape any liability. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

• Sj
    Sjgreen Jun 06, 2019

I purchased this 5 ton rheem a/c unit in December of 2015. I called the company ( Florida Solar and Air)that I purchase the unit from and they also did the installment and I was told that the damage wasn't covered under the warranty because it was a break instead of a crack. I emailed pictures so that you can see that this factory damage. my a/c unit has been out for two weeks and I have to wait an addition week to have repairs done to the unit. this water pan is faulty and should be covered under the warranty which was given in good faith. I shouldn't have to pay 600.00 for repairs when it is covered. I will be writing a review on Florida Solar and Air on the lack of service that was given in making the repairs in the proper time period.

Terrible experience!

The new home I purchased was configured with a 75 gallon Rheem Water Heater. Model 21VR75N, Serial# RHLN...

Bad hot water heater

We purchased a GE labeled hot water heater from HomeDepot.

Over a 30 day period, we had 10 days of hot water. GE sent a plumber out 3xs to replace parts several times.

GE told me it was electrical. I hired an electrician who spoke with GE and said it was a bad hot water heater and the electric was working fine.

HomeDepot said to return the hot water heater within 30 days for a refund.

My husband and I bought a Kenmore and had it installed, which has been working flawlessly. We brought back the GE hot water heater to HomeDepot and got a refund.

GE and Rheem refuse to reimburse me for the electrician or the installation. They still will not admit that it was a bad hot water heater.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices