Smart Savings Center Complaints & Reviews

Smart Savings CenterReoccurring Fraudulent Charges

I found a good deal on some books online. The books were received and I thought all was well, however the company, Discount Book Sale/ Hot Book Sale, gave my information to a company called Smart Savings Center, who in turn signed me up for a "membership" that I was not aware of and I did not want.

The first charge was for $1.00 and went unnoticed. The following charges were $29.95, $12.00, $24.03, and each month a charge for $1.00. When I called American Express for information, they told me that the company changed their company vending number each month, which makes it harder to find trace.

I called the company, cancelled the membership and they would not refund any thing but $12.00. They are sending my complaint to their Refund Department, who within 5-7 business days will let me know if I qualify for a refund.

I told them I did not want to sign up for any "membership" and was not willing to settle for anything but the full amount. I also told the woman who helped me, Edyslove Delacruz, to tell the Refund department to look at this website and that I am reporting them to the Better Business Bureau, and American Express is investigating them currently. They only way they can pose as a legitimate business is to refund my money in full.

Respond

Smart Savings CenterFRAUD

This company is a fraud. They are using amazon's legitimacy to cloak their unconscionable thievery and need to be removed immediately. It is a blight on amazon's good name.

The list of people who they have stolen from is enormous. A long list of complainants can be found on online complaint sites and the state of florida has already received dozens of complaints about their unauthorized charges to people.

Please alert your customers and please remove any association with smart savingscenter immediately. Once they get your card number for a purchase they immediately use the card over and over again for unauthorized payments to themselves from the unwitting purchasers account!!

Shame on them in this economy to be robbing americans!

2 Responses
      • Le
        Leland McMurray Feb 04, 2010

I agree with the complaints.I just purchased two dvds and they took the money out if my account and i only recieved one of them.

• St
        stolen from in Texas Sep 09, 2009

I agree with the other complaintants. I recently purchased books on Amazon and just discovered that I was being charged for a monthly book club which I did not sign up for and did not want. When I called the number on my charge card, the call center representative argued with me, refused to let me speak with a supervisor, refused to cancel my account and refund my money! When I asked for the corporate office information, he said he did not know it until I pushed and finally he gave it to me. I pulled the company name up on the Internet and saw all of the complaints. I would never recommend anyone do business with any of their companies and run if you see anything related to Smart Savings Center or www.discountbooksale.com. THEY ARE THIEVES, just as the previous person said.

Smart Savings Center — UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES

MADE THE MISTAKE OF MAKING A SMALL ONLINE PURCHASE WITH SMART SAVINGS AND RACKED UP OVER $230 IN CHARGES TO...

Smart Savings CenterScam!! Beware Charges on your Credit Card!

If you bought a movie from hotmoviedeals.com and start getting strange charges on your credit card from smartsavingscenter.com, call your CC company immediately! I was lucky that my company noticed these strange charges, refused them and called me. This website is a cover for a scam by someone who is trying to steal money from innocent consumers. Their website also has no email link to email this company and when you call the number it sounds like a recording: "...due to a high volume of calls, waiting time may exceed 15 minutes; you are caller number..." Over the phone they tell you to email [protected]@smartsavingscenter.com which I think is another scam to lead you into giving more information to them.

3 Responses
        • Mr
          mrmysterymann Apr 05, 2009

They are Farging Sneaky Bastages..billing me for 3 mons and I only purchased movies 1 time.Cant get a Live person & their phone number just puts you through a loop of No understanding and No help!.Screw them! I canceled my Credit Card..reported them and have put in a dispute. I`d like to choke the [censored]t right out of someone at that company! I hope they go Straight to Hell and are made to eat [censored]t all day long!

• Ri
          Richards V. Fkngay Mar 28, 2009

### man I called them and sent them all sorts of emails but I haven't been able to get through! These guys are truly gay. They are so gay that you can tell just be reading the email. When reading it you get the feeling that they want to put it in your butt while your sleeping. Then you get the feeling that makes you want to go grab them and take them to a special little jail you constructed in the spare bathroom where you will torture them for a month giving them only water during that time.

• Ri
          Richard E. Feb 27, 2009

You will have to cancel with smart savings center ... by phone takes time but you are sure to get it done, get them to send a confirmation email. Tip... Stay on the phone, put it on speaker if you have to, but get it done... Call after 11:00PM when charges are cheaper. Then you have to cancel with hotmoviedeals.com through the net. Look to your left at your membership stuff there is a link for canceling membership. They send a confirmation email. These people charge the $1.00 But what is so ignorant is that they both have the same phone number. If this is not a scam...

Smart Savings Center — hidden membership charge

on dec 17, 2008 we signed on to amazon.com to search for and order a dvd. the title was located and an order...

Smart Savings CenterFraud and cheating

I ordered something off of the internet and was signed up to this company automatically. I didn't know anything about what they were doing to my credit card. For a long time I thought my monthly charge of $12.95 per month was something to do with my new credit card. However I did wonder what it was as for several months I was charged this fee and for the description it gave was for savings. I thought that was cool my credit card had a savings fund for me.

One day I called them and was wondering what my balance was in my savings account. Of course they didn't know what I was talking about. By asking a lot of questions to them I found out it was for this smart savings center company. I ask them how I got it as I didn't want it. They told me I had ordered something from Amazon.com, I think it was a xbox game and I signed up for it. I told him I didn't sign up for anything and I didn't want it.

He told me he couldn't do anything about removing or refunding the money I would have to deal with them. What a nightmare that was. The phone number on my credit bill for the charge didn't work. I called here and there for several days trying to cancel it. Finally when I did get a hold of someone I found out that they wouldn't do anything about all the money I was out in all this process. They sign you up for their service with out your knowledge.

He said, email was sent to me, but I never got any emails at all from them, or I would of canceled a long time ago. I was out around one hundred dollars and no one would do a thing to refund me the money, not even my credit card. This is crap and makes me not want to order anything over the internet again. Just 2 days ago my husband ordered some books from discountbooks.com and the same thing happened to him. I have been calling for 2 days to reach them to cancel but the cancel number is no good.

FYI..if this happens to you, log on to your account on their web site and go to contact us page, there will be two addresses that doesn't do you much good, and a link for support. I filled out a form to cancel his membership, and when I did that a page came up with a link to cancel membership. I used that to finally cancel his membership. Having to go through all of this is just crazy.

2 Responses
          • Ba
            Bam-Busled in Baltimore2 Oct 23, 2009

Smart Savings Center is the picture you should see under SCAM in the dictionary!!! I ordered a Bible off of Amazon.com and then the Smart Savings Center begin to take $19.95 out of my check monthly. It was 3 months before my bank contacted me and questioned it. I'm glad they did, because if they hadn't who knows when I would have caught it. After getting the run around I finally spoke to someone on the phone who, with great negative energy finally canceled the account. He said with the $5 off promotional came a membership... This is such an OUT RAGE! I never signed anything, and I didn't see any fine print. So, if this helps just one person I am happy, but I am going to pray that God shuts these people down... FAST!!!

Madalchemist Jul 16, 2009

It seems that Smart Savings Center is the parent company that is the main vein of the scam. In my case, I bought a $6 book through DBS (Discount Book Sales) and hit with membership and unauthorized memebership fee - monthly. Call [protected] to reach Smart Savings Center and demand to cancel the membership and to give you the refund. I was given partial refund, but I am fighting to get all of my money back. So far, I filed a complaint to BBB of Southeast Florida, sent an emal letter to the Florida Attorney General, the district attorney of Boca Raton FL, my credit card company, and Dateline NBC for them to look at this company's fraudulent business practice.

File a complaint about Smart Savings Center to all federal, state, county, and city government agencies in order to stop this company from scamming more people.

Smart Savings Centerscam billing

I ordered a $5 book and received an email thanking me for enrolling in Smart Savings, which I did not. The email said I would be billed 29.95 a month. No where on the Hotbooksale.com site did it mention any smart savings . This is a scam site.

6 Responses
            • Av
              avullo22 Nov 16, 2009

The terms of offer are listed on the left side of the page while you fill in your info. If you checked the box then you have no right to complain. I knew there was something wrong with the site when I saw a book for 25 cents and free shipping. Nothing is that cheap anymore.

• Co
              Concerned Consumer Mar 11, 2009

I was charged a 29.95 fee and two 1.00 fees on my checking account after ordering a $4.00 book from hotbooks.com. I called the 800# and asked who "smartsaver" was and they said they were affiliated with Hotbooks. I never signed up for a "membership", but they told me I did when I accepted the terms. I cancelled my "membership" and closed my check card because I don't trust them to not charge me again.

So, anyone out there that this has happened to, I recommend cancelling your credit card or check card so they cannot charge you again! It's a small inconvenience, but worth it.

• Pi
              pissedoff Mar 10, 2009

Let's face it, we've fallen victim to another scam. I can't believe that I've got 29.95 refunded out of the two that were billed. I'm still very pissed. Don't even think about NOT changing your card #. These ### still have your info and they would use it again

• Fr
              Frustrated Feb 02, 2009

When I called my bank to have them stop smartsavingscenter's unauthorized charges, my bank said this company is one of the highest fraud calls they get and issued me a new bank card immediately.

I suggest canceling online, as well as calling, insisting to speak to a representative, and getting a cancellation number from the representative, AND calling your bank to stop the charges and get a new bank card issued.

After I took both cancellation steps (online and on the phone), smartsavingscenter kept charging me! My bank, thankfully has been very helpful.

• Vi
              Vickie C. Jan 26, 2009

I ordered a book back in November 2008 from Hot Book Sale. I was first charged $1, when I didn't catch that charge they turned around and made a second charge for $9.99. I never received an e-mail thanking me for enrolling. The charge appeared as SmartSavingsCenter.com I looked them up online, called them, and cancelled my "membership". They refunded my money. BUT, they did it again this month, January 2009. I again called and cancelled. This time I asked the customer service rep who was behind the charge. She told me that it was from the book order.
              There is nothing on the Hot Book Sale website that mentions Smart Savings Center. I went to the site, read through it and I didn't see a thing. However, it turns out that the companies, Hot Book Sale & Smart Savings Center are one in the same. Both have the same Boca Raton mailing address and both have the same Charlestown, Nevis satellite office address. Know where this is? It's in the West Indies. Charlestown is the capital of Nevis and, that my friends, is how they keep getting away with it. So having said that, be diligent in checking your statements each and every month for their sneaky charges. It's either that or close your account.

• Ei
              eiram Dec 02, 2008

guys better read the terms of offer everytime you purchased online...
              honestly this is not their fault you gave consent...