Hammacher Schlemmer Complaints & Reviews

Hammacher SchlemmerPoor Service

I placed an order online for 2 items & used a coupon code. I immediately received a confirmation email that HS had received the order. After 8-9 business days, I went online to check the status. They didn't have my order. I called customer service. After waiting longer than usual, a very curt & unpleasant man [ I will not call him a "customer" representative. ] took the call. He informed me in an abrupt manner that there was no order & gave me a lecture on how they have thousands of orders; and if I wanted my order to be placed, I should always call & place it. HUH??! It's the 21st century. When I told him I also had free shipping because I had submitted a coupon, he said too bad. Instead of ordering both items, I ordered the one specially requested birthday present only available on HS. It's a good thing I originally placed the order several weeks before I needed it since HS's ineptitude put me a week behind schedule. I still can't believe they inconvenienced me, showed extraordinarily poor customer service and would not agree to pay for the shipping on my original order!!! I will be advising my friends to avoid HS [ & its subsidiaries] like the plague!!

Hammacher SchlemmerShipping Policy

I ordered a .70 pd item on July 11th. I choose the UPS shipping for $11.99. The shipping portion of the website published an estimated 3 - 5 business days to delivery.

It took 8 - 10 business days, because HS chooses to ship via UPS Basic, which means the item is transferred to USPS for the last leg of the trip.

I am upset because HS doesn't disclose they are using UPS Basic ahead of time, which also means there is no possible way for HS to fulfill the implied promise of delivery within 3 - 5 business days. I requested a refund from customer service and suggested updating the website to more correctly disclose their shipping practice. Unfortunately, my requests were denied.

I am posting this in hopes of helping future HS customers realize proper expectations. We paid a premium for shipping (I know because I ship with fedex and ups daily, so I audited the cost). The website says "Shipping and Service Charges include apportioned shipping, order processing, packaging, returns processing, credit services, customer service and other costs related to serving you at your home." I would like to exercise my access to credit services. :o)

Good luck all. In the future I hope I to find similar products elsewhere, so I can avoid future business with HS. Maybe karma will visit HS in the form of a Tort lawyer interested in a class action lawsuit.

Shipping Policy

Hammacher Schlemmer
    Angry_Sultan_unforgiven Aug 13, 2010

Ulta pulled the same basic BS on me. To add insult to injury now my package has disappeared (1st time ever have a problem with UPS) and now I have to deal with a whole another process and delays. I am super disappointed all around with both parties. I had a package to mail this weekend too. I was going to send it UPS but now I am going to USPS to send it because I have lost faith in UPS delivery reliability.

Angry_Sultan_unforgiven Aug 13, 2010

Shipping Rates and Policies
    ULTA.com ships to Continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, U.S.Territories, PO Boxes, and APO / FPO addresses. ULTA.com does not ship to international locations.

FREE Shipping Promotions
    •Orders qualifying for FREE or discounted shipping promotions are shipped via our Standard Shipping service only.
    •FREE or discounted shipping is awarded when the merchandise total (excluding taxes and gift cards purchased) is over the dollar amount in the promotional copy. All denominations of Gift Card purchased-only orders ship FREE
    •FREE or discounted shipping is available in the continental U.S. only, and excludes PO Boxes and oversized packages.
    Shipping Methods, Costs, and Delivery Times

Shipping Method Shipping Cost ULTA Processing Time Carrier Transit Time TOTAL DELIVERY TIME
    Standard Shipping $5.95 1 to 2 business days 1 to 6 business days 2 to 8 business days
    UPS 2nd Day Air $9.95 1 to 2 business days 2 business days 3 to 4 business days
    UPS Next Day Air $16.95 1 to 2 business days 1 business day 2 to 3 business days

STANDARD SHIPPING = UPS BASIC! DON"T BE FOOLED AND DON" BE FOOLISH LIKE I WAS!!

Hammacher SchlemmerReal rip off!

I wish to raise the following experience of downright overcharging done in a misleading and (my opinion) dishonest manner.

On 27 Oct 07, I placed an internet order with HAMMACHER SCHLEMMER for an electronic scrabble dictionary priced at $49.65. The website did not quote shipping charges but from previous experience I expected a reasonable charge between $20 and $40 ((maximum). I had no sooner confirmed the order when my credit card account registered a charge of $161.65.

On Monday 29, I contacted the company by e-mail requesting the reason for such an exorbitant charge. I was advised on the next day that $111.70 was for shipping and handling charges. I then attempted to cancel the order but was informed that it had been shipped but that they would try to cancel it. They then advised me to take the following action: quote-refuse delivery on this item or mark return to sender and the package will come back to usa. I then attempted to negotiate a more reasonable shipping charge on the basis that other suppliers usually charge less than $40 and that it seemed senseless to send the item back.

The response to my proposal was as follows: quote -The package has already been returned to us. A refund in the amount of $49.95 was applied to your Visa card. Shipping and handling is nonrefundable and nonnegotiable. Please contact me if you need further assistance. I have now paid them $111.70 and received nothing but delayed responses and aggro!

I strongly warn anyone dealing with this company to be extremely careful as they are not only overcharging but have also adopted a very high handed attitude and are definitely not customer orientated or customer friendly!! In any event, their charges are exorbitant as I have purchased the item new from eBay for a total charge of $72 – LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE CHARGED BY HAMMACHER SCHLEMMER!!

This was a very expensive lesson and I do not believe that such companies should or will continue to exist in the long term. I hope that this serves to expose them.

• Ba
    badbug Aug 24, 2016

WORST ONLINE WEB STORE AROUND!

Here's how these fools do business with Canadians.

The online web store is like a "venus fly trap" It seduces you with it's apparent ease of use...this is becuase it really is no more than an information gathering device for "HAMMER IT TO YOU AND SCHLEPPER"

Even when you successfully complete your checkout, and you have in hand a checkout receipt, followed up by an emailed order confirmation with the same total, you will have a nasty surprise coming to you later...In our case, the addition of 100.00 dollars in extra freight charges on an order that was completed with the shopping cart accepting a valid "HAMMER IT TO YOU AND SCHLEPPER" coupon code!

When we complained to "HAMMER IT TO YOU AND SCHLEPPER" we are told to take a hike as we should of navigated our way to the hidden fine print page that says in effect...We can shaft you after the fact with absolutley no advance warning or option, to decide if you in fact as a consumer, want to pay this additional freight! They just tack it on!

Remember, a good online retailer would and should contact the customer if additional charges to an online order may be incurred, not just jamming them on and telling you to take a FLYER!

In Closing, any Canadian who buys of these irresponsible carpet baggers...This is the way they were probably doing business in 1899!
    should exercise extreme caution!! If you must buy from them, Call your order in and get a total first. Though with these people they would probably still try to stick some additional amount on after the fact!

"HAMMER IT TO YOU AND SCHLEPPER' stay away from them!!!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices