Reliance Home Comfortlien on my house

P Review updated:

We had a sales rep. from reliance come into our house to show us what comfort systems (a/c and furnace) they had and the price. He spend over 3 hours, showed us 3 in total and each one was 10K and over. As we did not have any idea how much they sell for we trusted Reliance to be compatable with other companies. We got a system and 2 months later we received paperwork for it. We had a choice to buy it out after 12 months of "renting" at 160/mth. or we can keep renting at that price forever!!! lol crazy!
The plan was to get a line of credit to pay it off at 12 months. So we went to our bank and were SHOCKED to find out that Relience had put a lien on our house!!! 15K !!!
So as you can imagine our line of credit is not happening and we are stuck with a lien of 15K on our home!
I am considering taking a law suit again Relience. This is just not acceptable.
If we know that there would be a lien...we would NEVER get the system as our old was was working. We would ge the line of credit first and then purchased the system. But now we are stuck and can't do anything!!!

Has anyone had this happen to them???
DO YOU EVEN KNOW IF YOU HAVE A LIEN ON YOUR HOUSE????
We would never know if we did not go to bank to try to get the line of credit.

HELP!!!

R Massingham Jun 28, 2011

Based on what you've provided, I understand your frustration and apologize on behalf of Reliance Home Comfort for the experience thus far. Please email me at [protected]@reliancecomfort.com with more information and I will do my very best to assist. Thanks in advance. Richard

Tronager Jul 16, 2019

@R Massingham What's the email. As I am having the same issue.

• Tb
    Tbo22 Jul 31, 2019

@Tronager Please share this as well

• Zw
    zwei2001 wei Oct 30, 2019

@R Massingham Richard, your "appologize" is cheap and useless!!! Reliance should be out of business from Ontario!!!

• Ge
    George11 Aug 04, 2011

We have the same problem. I believe there are laws for insurance companies where they cannot add in clauses that a purchaser cannot be expected to read fine print upon signing. It is not reasonable to expect that a lien would be put on your house when you sign for a rental of a furnace. If reliance did not inform you you then they could be at risk in court, there may be laws that state that reliance should have explained the contract further. I feel completly violated, I signed an agreement to rent a furnace and in fine print they state "We will register, at your expense, our interest in the Equipment against you and/or against the title to the Premises." Who would ever expect something like this to be in a contract, especiallt to people who are not privy to scams like this. I realize they try to protect themselves but an honorable company would explain verbally these kinds of details and by law they should be held liable for not doing so. The problem is "What can I do? I could get a lawyer and spend money or try to fight this myself in court, if I had money I would get a lawyer and carry a public case against Reliance for being so deceitful. It is one thing to say I should have read the fine print but then how to you protect elderly or people who may not be so wise to these tricks that Reliance have put up there sleeves. Reliance is clearly taking advantage of people in this aspect and for now are getting away with it.

• Lo
    Lor Down Nov 26, 2011

Hello - I am having a very similar challenge in Oakville with Reliance. We have purchased a new home and our financial institution informed us we have a lien on our house (surprise) from 2035881 Ontario Inc. I was shocked and not even sure what it was for until we realized this is the trustee for Reliance Home Comfort. I received no notification of this and am having a great deal of trouble resolving the issue with Reliance. Despite numerous phone calls they have not even been able to review a copy of our contract, they have informed me it will take one week to get a copy of our contract so they can discuss it with us. Where is the contract? Who has access to this information if they can't access it within minutes or at least hours. Reliance is ripping us off, let's not be this foolish again.

Joeyfishing Mar 13, 2013

I just had the same thing happen to me. We had a property search done on our mortgage for a loan we were going to get and were told we had a lien on our home for a $3, 500 furnace we pay for monthly. How dare they do this. I want to take them to court also. We have NEVER missed a payment. This is outrageous and I am shaking with anger as I type this. I knew by instinct we should not have bought from a door to door salesman but my husband assured me it would be okay as it was not a large amount. I am furious and understand your frustration fully. Maybe we should take out a class action lawsuit against them!!! Good luck with yours.

• Fr
    Frustrated_ Dec 03, 2019

@Joeyfishing Hi All,
    I am shocked with Reliance as well, i am about to close with a 2nd mortgage and I just found out that Reliance has a lien on my house because I am renting an AC from them. I was never told that when the sales man sold me this deal and i never thought this would happen. This is FRAUD FRAUD and I want to take reliance to court

R Massingham Mar 14, 2013

Joey - I apologize for the frustration that this has caused and I will do my best to get you some answers. If you could please contact me at [protected]@reliancecomfort.com, I will have someone call you to review the situation. Thanks in advance. Rich

• Mi
    Micbran Apr 13, 2013

Hello,
    We have the exact same problem, I have my house closing on May 24th. When we ran the report supplied by Service Ontario to our surprise there was a lien put on our house by this company. I am extremely put off by this. I just called them only to be told that they can help me until Monday morning as I have to speak with billing. Mine situation was identical to the situations described above. This is appalling, like the writer above we have never missed a payment and I was under the impression I was renting. This is bad business.
    Not sure what the result was of the other concerned clients but I hope it worked out for all of you.

• Si
    Siennaml Jul 15, 2013

Hello,
    We are also currently facing this problem. We found out on Friday that we had a lien for $12, 300 on our house (only when our lawyer called and told us less than a week before we go in to close our deal for the sale of our house). We have paid out the balance for the furnace and A/C a couple of weeks ago and were told that the lien will be removed within forty eight hours.
    When we contacted them today, the guy said that we still owed $100 (a late payment charge that we had been told we weren't going to be charged as well as our current month's hot water tank rental). So as far as we can tell, nothing has yet been submitted to clear the lien.
    If this hinders the sale of our house at all, I'm not sure what to do. If I had known there would be a lien on the house, we would've borrowed the money and bought it outright instead of going through this BS.
    I hope Reliance realizes how sketchy it makes their company look. I know I won't be recommending them to anybody which is a shame since their products are decent..

• Co
    countrycharmer Apr 17, 2014

Hello
    I am going through the exact same thing. I am on a rental program for my new furnace which was put in 2 yrs ago. Just today I went to the bank to put my line of credit limit up the bank then advised me I had a lien on my house I could not figure out who had the lien. The bank looked into it and low and behold the bank said it was reliance. I was floored I was never told that if I rented a furnace I would have a lien on my house. I didn't even sign anything saying they could do that. The bank told me they would contact reliance, they haven't got back to me yet. I also don't' know how much the lien is for. Help!!! Is this even legal?? I'm not sure what to do now.

• Reliance_Mobile Apr 28, 2014

Dear Customer,

Kindly submit your details at this link: http://bit.ly/1cmd6ds Our representative will get in touch with you shortly.

Regards,
    Reliance Communications

• St
    Stephen F. May 02, 2014

I just found out that there is a lien on my property as a result of having a new furnace and air conditioner installed in my home back in August of 2010. This purchase and installation was not done by Reliance Home Comfort but Boonstra. As a result, my refinancing of my mortgage with another bank has hit a snagggggggggggggggg! Sales persons should be obligated to tell potential customers what is going to happen if you go with the financial company they are using to assist in financing the purchase!!! It is really unethical to not tell us, the customer. They do not spell it out in the letter from the finance company either. They use the euphemism of "Personal Property Security Registration" and not LIEN against my property that would have sent up a huge red flag for me, big time!!!

It seems like the government is not on the ball with this one and I am not happy at all with them or Boonstra. Like others, I have never missed a payment and my credit rating is excellent. I can understand doing this if I had a poor rating but they should still be upfront about what the finance company is planning to do. Who reads all the fine print in a loan agreement? I am glad they didn't get my first born as a result of a clause in my loan agreement!!! The lien is set at $5000 more than the value of the loan!!! What is that all about!!! Why is the lien not devalued as it is paid off???????????? I am never going to sign another loan agreement again without getting it in writing that there will not be any lien against my property/home!!! Otherwise, I am going shopping to another company that does not use such low lifes to finance a purchase from their company!!!

• Ta
    Tammy Dargie Nov 26, 2014

We paid off our Reliance product on January 10, 2011 & just found out (from our bank) that we still have a lien on our home from Reliance. Nearly 4 years later! So be aware & make sure they remove/release the lien when you pay it off!!

• Bv
    B Vic Dec 30, 2014

I found out today after 4 years that I have lien against my house for about 17k that I was not aware of. After several inquiries I was told that it is from Reliance against the furnace and A/C that I purchased in 2011. It was rented for few months and then I fully paid it off as per agreement. There is no money owing to Reliance & I was never told by Reliance that they will put lien on my house. Today, I could not get approval from my bank for the line of credit due to this lien against my house and had to miss a big business venture that I was working on for months. This is outrageous and clear scam. There should be legal action - perhaps class action law suite. Lets get together and do something so that other innocent citizens do not suffer from this SCAM!!

• Pi
    Pierre (Oakville) Dec 12, 2016

@B Vic I am all in for a class action suit. Please post the name of the Legal Firm to contact.

Tronager Jul 16, 2019

@Pierre (Oakville) Have you made a lawsuit yet against Reliance. If so can I be apart of this aswell.

• Di
    Disgruntled in Northern Ontario Feb 24, 2015

This company is DISHONEST! At NO POINT were we given verbal warning or asked permission for a lien to be placed on our home. Months after their salesperson landed the big sale and we had every fuel-fired appliance in our home switched out by Reliance, we discovered that a rather large lien had be placed on our home. You sign a hefty, lengthy, wordy contract with Reliance, in which you agree to let them place this lien on your house -- but it's buried in the middle of one of the paragraphs, and the likelihood of you ever finding this sentence is slim at best. Shame on you, Reliance -- you are a shady, sketchy company and I feel foolish for ever having trusted you.

Sally Ross May 07, 2015

I have EVERYONE Beat.

2003 - Shoddy installation cause the gas company NOT to turn on the gas. Installer came in to put in the AC from another company and got shocked from a live wire hanging in the basement. Called in a licensed guy to review - the guy the signed the ticket wasn't the guy that did the installation - LONG LONG story here. They wouldn't come back and fix - letters emails etc., over months and months. Then they put us in collections AND no they never told us they would LIEN the house - We hired lawyers - took photographs, provided bills from companies we had in to fix deficiencies,
    They finally sold us the equipment for a modest sum in 2005. And made us sign releases that they weren't responsible for the equipment - AND that we would not continue the law SUIT - But DIDN"T REMOVE THE LIEN
    2008 - We went to change title to both our names instead of just my name and the LIEN was still there - hired a lawyer through Scotiabank once again to do title and get the LIEN removed - he certified it was free and clear and we got our new mortgage and title changed.
    2015 - My husband and I are splitting up - he is buying me out - ready to do the deal and YES - GUESS WHAT - the lien is STILL there - not only that but they have now doubled the amount and sent us RENTAL BILL for over 3000 days -
    They have not sent us a bill in 13 years...and now the bank won't do the mortgage for my husband to buy me out because of this LIEN - although they did it before. BANK, AND BOTH LAWYERS PASSING THE BUCK AROUND...Thank god we found this through the sale from him to me instead of to a private party or the deal would have fallen through.
    Scotiabank WONT release paperwork from 2008 lawyer that says the title is free and clear - we have taken the request all the way to the PRESIDENT of SCOTIABANK. What are THEY HIDING??????
    So bottom line -

Don't get your mortgage from Scotiabank - DONT get your furnace or ANYTHING FROM RELIANCE - EVER

• Dr
    D Ross May 07, 2015

or deal with Humenick Law in Caledonia Ontario, been almost a week and many phone calls, no reply from him, just his assistants. he did the legal work in 2008 for property title and required copies of our release from and with Union Energy, paid him to ensure title was clear,

We paid him, now his assistant claims no such info in their file, and the bank manager who recommended we use his firm as they were literally next door to the bank in Caledonia has retired.

Even though 2 lawyers, signed release by us and Union Energy Partnership by it general partnership GP Waterheater Trust acting through its sole trustee 2035881 Ontario Inc, signed, dated Nov 17, 2005.

They are no claiming for almost 3 times the value of the lien, HOW DO THEY STAY IN BUSINESS???????

• Jt
    jturetken Jul 06, 2015

We just had a similar situation occur with regards to reliance here in Oakville. As respondents here, it feels as if we should ban together and file a class action lawsuit. I see a Reliance employee asking customers to email him for help: however, I have yet to see anything that has been done for these people. Shameful and fraudulent!

R Massingham Jul 07, 2015

Please contact me at [protected]@reliancecomfort.com with additional details and I will do my best to assist. Thank you. ~ RM

• De
    Deceived Buyer Aug 02, 2015

We are in the same boat. Currently looking into getting a lawyer as this is beyond devious.

If there is anyone else wanting to join us please email me
    [protected]@gmail.com

R Massingham Aug 04, 2015

Please conatct me with more information at [protected]@reliancecomfort.com and I will escalate this issue to our Customer Solutions Team for follow up. Thank you. ~ Rich

JJ&dd Aug 26, 2015

WE just found out today that Reliance had put a first lien on our house only because we've rented their furnace. Now the contact person of REliance has told us that we can not withdraw from the renting unless we buy the furnace. After so many years of renting, the buying price is not much cheap than a new one. If you don't buy it from them the lien on your house is more than tenth of thousands.

What a business!

JJ&dd Aug 26, 2015

Reliance is a big scammer in Ontario. It quietly put a big lien on your house that you couldn't get ride of, only because you are renting equipments from them. We are also going to take legal action.

JJ&dd Aug 26, 2015

Sham on you Reliance Homecomfort!! Why don't you put a lien on your own home to be comfort.

R Massingham Aug 27, 2015

Please contact me at [protected]@reliancecomfort.com and I will do my best to address your concerns. Thanks in advance. ~ Rich

• Ro
    RobbieK Sep 03, 2015

They're still up to it! I just applied for a line of credit against my home and was very surprised to find out there was a lien registered against it. I exercised my option to buy out the furnace and AC today; hopefully, the lien will go away although I'm not optimistic.
    I don't know if anything they're doing is illegal, but very shady business practices! I would not recommend this company to anyone.

• Ke
    Ken50 Sep 16, 2015

I have a house in Oakville that has no debt of any kind. I have committed to purchasing another property in Oakville only to find that a title search by the bank revealed a lien for $11, 000
    This is as result of a rental furnace that I could have purchased privately for half that amount. I have never missed a rental payment, been late for a payment or given them any reason to have a lien put on the house.
    This is outrageous behavior and if I lose the new house as a result of this lien I would definitely join a class action suit..
    I would NEVER knowingly do business with a company that conducts themselves in this manner.
    I will however tell EVERYONE I talk to in the future to NEVER do business with Reliance.

• Gu
    Gurdeep dhaliwal Sep 22, 2015

Today I have come to know regarding a lien against my property when I was doing some bossiness transaction with Bank. It is against the Air condition which was installed by reliance Home care. They had never informed me regarding this. this is a fraud as they never informed me completely about it. they come door to door to get the customers.

Cleo Catapaw Feb 27, 2016

This Reliance scam has obviously been going on for some time, and we join the posters above in condemning Reliance for putting liens on homes as part of rental agreements for furnaces and air conditioners. There is no disclosure of this when speaking with Reliance representatives and of course you only find out when a bank does a title search related to a mortgage renewal or alteration.
    I am interested in hearing from those who discovered this fraud previously and if you have managed to have it resolved. We will obviously be following up with Reliance and our lawyer but has your lien been removed and how long did it take? Please email me directly at:
    cleo.[protected]@sympatico.ca
    Thanks for your help.

• Ti
    TitleOfficer Mar 14, 2016

As consumers, we need to read the fine print of all contracts. Reliance is not the only company that does this. Most home comfort companies that provide rental services place a Notice of Security on your title. This protects THEIR property in the event of any claims that need to be made against your property. Renovation companies also do the same thing.

Cleo Catapaw Mar 14, 2016

Title Officer is correct about reading fine print. With Reliance, it is critical to have a lawyer review any contract.. An ethical company would advise consumers when discussing the contract of this term but of course they do not because if you knew they were putting a lien on your house, you wouldn't enter into an agreement with them. It is a shady practice no matter how you slice it. The trust that we had in Reliance is destroyed and they are now acting like the dishonest door-to-door salesmen who try to talk you into water heater rentals on a regular basis. For a big company to treat consumers in this manner is reprehensible and I urge everyone who finds they have a lien to buy out their equipment and get a lawyer to discharge the lien.

Cleo Catapaw Mar 24, 2016

If you agree to buy out your rented equipment, which we did, a lawyer can put pressure on Reliance to discharge the lien on your property. It took a month and cost $150 but is worth every penny and we will no longer be dealing with this disreputable company.

Tronager Jul 16, 2019

@Cleo Catapaw Cleo what lawfirm did you use?

marinak Apr 14, 2016

I went to bank today to increase my Line of credit, which was not a problem, until this evening I have received a call that there is a lean against my house. Over 13, 000.00 related to my last year decision to opt for Reliance comfort plan (a/c & furnace). Like the rest of you I was shocked, to say the least. Booked an appointment to see a lawyer tomorrow, any advice?

Cleo Catapaw Apr 17, 2016

Just buy out the equipment via your lawyer with a certified cheque. Then your lawyer will be able to push Reliance to remove the lien.
    It took a month but we are now in the clear and telling everyone we know NOT to enter into a rental agreement with Reliance. They hold all the cards and you have to be firm and persistent to get out of their clutches but it is possible in the end.
    Good luck.

• Tb
    Tbo22 Jul 31, 2019

@Cleo Catapaw Do you have the contact of who your lawyer communicated with regarding the buyout. We are in the same position.

• Sh
    Sheryl Bartlett-Bergeron May 11, 2016

Iam in the same boat as these guys. I Just found out from my financial institute that There is å lien on my house. Iam so upset ånd i called the legal department ånd the lady told med to contact my salesperson. Why would i håve to do that when they åre the legal department. I Just want this lien tåken off.

Frustrated customer

Cleo Catapaw May 12, 2016

Sheryl, if you want the lien removed, you have to buy out the equipment (see above). Reliance will not remove the lien as long as you are renting their equipment. All the power is with the company in this case. Contact your lawyer, it does not cost a lot to find out how much you owe or maybe Reliance will give you that info. If you can afford to buy it out, do so & then instruct them to remove the lien. I recommend getting a lawyer to do this so they know you mean business. Their business practices are unethical. Good luck.

Ana TR May 12, 2016

Looks like Reliance has been doing this for a long time, like everyone else I am in the same boat. This is a very dishonest practice, they should tell their customers BEFORE the contract is signed that there will be a lien placed on the home for the value of the equipment. A class action law suit looks like the way to go... Reliance did not learn from their Water Heater law suit, you would think that they would be more ethical after losing that one.

Rick Oakville Jul 08, 2016

I was refinancing and turned down by the Title Insurance (required by bank) as Reliance has not 1 but 2 Liens against my title.One was from 2008 and one from 2015. It seems ridiculous to hold a million dollar home hostage over a $10, 000 Furnace/AC. The 2008 contract was done a year ago but they failed to remove that lien. They did remove it but only after I asked. I would never had got the furnace/ac in 2008 or the new one in 2015 if I knew that they were going to put a lien on my house. I have vowed to the day I die to never do business with Reliant Home Comfort.

I understand they need to protect their property but the law needs to be changed. You cannot remove people's ability to refinance a million dollar home because of a air conditioner/furnace worth a few grand at most. The laws must be changed. I was completely unaware of this when I signed the contract and "r.We will register, at your expense, our interest in the Equipment against you and/or against the title to the Premises.To the extent permitted by applicable law, you will also pay us our standard charge (currently $120), as revised by us from time to time without notice to you, each" did not mean to me that I would have a lien on my house and twice be declined on refinance solely due the the old (failed to remove) and the new liens.
    time we do any registrations in respect of this Agreement

• Ha
    hackett05 Jul 13, 2016

we got that and omg we flipped

don't know how to get rid of it

Rick Oakville Jul 19, 2016

If you ask Reliance Home Comfort they will create a balance letter which may be enough for the Title Insurance or they will temporarily remove the lien (likely the $120 fee for "Postponement" in my post above). They will likely work with you but delays? yes Possible extra fees? yes

I guess that is why everyone is happy to lend money for home renovations as they effectively take your house as collateral. If I fault reliance it is in not making me aware of that lien and the consequences "by signing this document I acknowledge that a lien will be placed on my house and that such a lien may make it more difficult to refinance my house during the term of this rental contact". and I likely would find it difficult to complain.

• Sh
    sheltm7 Aug 30, 2016

I had the same issues, i went to refinance my mortgage and use my equity to pay off some high interest debt, the mortgage was approved everything was ready to go,
    BUT they did a search and found a lien on my house for $13700, the thing is my equipment hasn't worked right from the beginning, i have had tech's out to fix things so many times now i have lost track!!!...Reliance home comfort put a lien on my house without me knowing. Now i am stuck having to redo my mortgage and i am having to include that $13700 in it and i lose that amount in my equity. Plus i have to get a lawyer to do the legal work of taking this lien off then putting it back on after everything is done and that will cost at least $795 plus 25 for anything else getting paid. That is if its approved banks don't like liens on their property. So never ever trust this company!!! or their equipment it is junk!!

Richmond Hill Sep 22, 2016

I am in the same boat.' A class action law suit looks like the way to go... ' I totally agree.