Complaints & Reviews

shady billing practices

I switched over to another water heater company and had them return the water heater to Reliance. Reliance refused to take the tank back for 3 months without a return number. Once they had the return number they still did not take it back for 2 months. It has been 4 months since Reliance finally took the tank back and they continued to call and bill us for the rental, claiming that the tank had not been returned. Luckily I had a copy of ~their~ return form that proves they have had the tank in their possession that whole time. Each time they called, they pretended that they had not received the tank until I could state the date that the return form was filled out, the date ~I~ had to fax their own form back to them, and the date ~I~ had to email it to them. Only then would the return form anf tank suddenly appear in their possession. It still took them over a month to adjust the final bill, in the mean time they would still call asking for payment up to today's date, claiming the tank was not there.

• Ro
    Rob Matic Apr 21, 2011

3 weeks ago I received my bill in the mail. It included a new charge for a protection plan on our Furnace and Air Conditioner. No one authorized this charge and since we purchased a new furnace and air conditioner from another company I didn't see the need to have protection on those two items. They told me that the protection plan was indeed authorized by someone in my home. I asked them who and they could not tell me. I asked if the calls were recorded and they said yes, so I asked them to listen to the calls and to call me back with who authorized it. They said they would and in the meantime they would remove the protection plan. Today I have still received no phonecall, and my new bill is here with the protection plan on it. I called once again and asked to talk to a supervisor. The person from reliance said there was no need to talk to a supervisor, I said there was, and I asked 5 times to speak to a supervisor, each time I was denied.

stay away from this company at all costs!

MaaaaaaaLeeeeeee Apr 27, 2011

I myself have been paying for a Home Protection Plan on a 2 year old furnace and air conditioner. Since I was new to the city the 140.00 / quarter payment I thought was for the water heater rental only. Now a friend has told me that was too high so I called them finding out that the protection plan was on it. They also told me, like you, that I authorized it. First they said it was a telemarketer on Aug 10. Impossible because the phone was not connected and I lived out of town at the time. Then they say a service person was out to the house. This is very possible since we took possession of the empty house the day before. But I was not in the city on this new day Aug 8th but the painters were at the house and probably let them in. I've sent them an email, as requested, and I am told that it will take 6-8 weeks for them just to cancel the service that I DID NOT ORDER in the first place. Does anyone know where to complain. They don't seem to have an ombudsman.

• In
    IN HOT WATER May 08, 2011

I managed a 6 unit rental and my name was listed as the the contact for access etc. The apt building was destroyed by fire and all was lost... including the 6 hot water tanks from hydro. Apparently Hydro had sold the contracts for rental tanks to Reliaance. After the fore I was sent bills for 5 and 10 year old tanks demanding up to $900 for each old tank, lost. I refused, stated thye were old and worth nothing, they should insure their old tanks, I am no longer employed and the company sent them a letter to confirm this. They sent $4000 plus in collection agency agaonst me and they cannot produce a contract with my name on it, nor conform their entitled to lost profit on the tanks. Collection agencies are also frustrating and difficult. BEWARE and AVOID RELIANCE at all costs.

• Da
    DawnBone Jan 20, 2012

OH my goodness we are having the SAME problem! We are now a year later and they
    have sent a FINAL notice for payment?? NOW I'm getting really pissed.

• Ns
    N Stewart May 10, 2014

Without my knowledge or authorization, I had been paying Reliance for a home protection plan. I did not request this, nor do I want it. In February, 2014, I contacted Reiiance, and was assured that this was their error which they would correct by applying the overpayment to my current water heater bills, backdated to January, 2013. At Reliance's request, I sent a letter detailing this issue, which they said would be attached to my file. This month (May, 2014), I began receiving calls, threatening to send my account to a collection agency.
    On May 7, 2014, I again contacted Reliance, and was assured that my letter was there, but because it was after 6:00 p.m., I would have to call during daytime hours to reach the billing department. The Reliance person said she would extend the due date for regular water heater rental for two weeks, as it "often takes time to sort out these things". I reached the billing department on Friday, May 9. Gerry, to whom I spoke, said there was no letter from me nor any 2-week extension attached to my file, and passed me to her supervisor. Up to this point, every contact I had had with Reliance people was courteous and helpful; the "supervisor" was abrupt and rude, especially when I requested that she listen to the many recorded conversations. She simply kept insisting that I owed the money; I said I would not pay, and the conversation ended.

misrepresenting themselves as having purchased direct energy home services rental water heater contract

I received a call from who I thought was Direct Energy Home Services on a Sunday afternoon. They said that...

supposed upgrade; theft of my ozz rental tank by reliance

-letter sent to reliance detailing our complaint/ordeal with a supposed upgrade~

First and foremost I want to let you know that my wife and I are former employees of Union Energy/Reliance Home Comfort. Together we gave 17 years of service and left amicably due to maternity and voluntary lay-off.
We were renting a HWT from OZZ rentals and my wife asked me to call OZZ to see if we could buyout out our tank when we first moved into our new home. The buyout price was absolutely TOO expensive so we backed away from the deal. After talking to some friends who still work at Reliance we heard that Reliance acquired all of the OZZ tanks.
We received a call from Reliance, around June 2010, for a protection plan and I inquired about the purchase of the OZZ tank by Reliance and was told that yes that did happen. I asked if my tank was with Reliance and she told me that it was . I was asking for an upgrade to a tankless and was told that such was possible. I was then advised that I would have to pay a higher rental rate and any excess installation charges if applicable. I was informed that Reliance was happy to keep me on as a rental customer and that I would be well taken care of, all of the rental benefits were reiterated to me. I was glad because I really wanted to rent a tankless water heater. Hot Sauce the service company came to my house and removed the former OZZ rental and replaced it with the Reliance tankless heater. This took place on July 20 2010. They turned off our gas and forgot to turn it back on, then tried to charge us for a service call and were ready to put us into collections when it was their fault! By October 2010 I noticed that both companies were drafting money from my account. I called Cathy Barry, at Customer Relations for Reliance and she told me that she could get me in contact with Gladys, who handles the OZZ rental acquisitions. I called her and she told me that she was sorry for this inconvenience and that I would surely be getting a refund cheque.
In the new year we still hadn't received a refund cheque from OZZ so we called them and were told that they were still working on it. ...? We waited and then called again. Juanita returned our call going on about some Maxium company and how there had been a huge screw up and someone had to pay and we most definitely would not be receiving any kind of refund...we would be paying them!!! She followed up stating we owed for the "asset" $1637.78 which is what they had stated was the value of the asset when we moved into the house back in 2007!!!

I called Ravi (Reliance Cust. Relations) he told me not to worry he'll get me the refund cheque and straighten everything out.
About a year later from the anniversary of the beginning of this nightmare I'm getting calls from OZZ saying that we STILL owe them money from the buyout we APPARENTLY requested. I didn't request anything from them as all my dealings were with Reliance, whom I was told had acquired my tank and have been happily taking my money !!!
I spoke with Ravi Sharma and he told me that according Leslie Larosa, his manager, that their hands are washed of this and they could only offer me half of the buyout amount because they feel sorry for us (being former employees).
I am aware of how Reliance's system works...the difference between a buyout and an upgrade. I would never have asked for a buyout and I am under record of refusing to do so. We are a single income family, a buyout is just not possible and that is why we never agreed to such...but it seems corporate entity wants to wring us dry and make off with our old rental tank so that we can kiss our once manageable/head-above-water lifestyle goodbye. $2000.00 is a big hit on one income.

Today I received a letter from OZZ stating a lien has been placed on our home, for the asset, now valued at $1965.20!!! Only a month ago it was $1637.78!!! a year later we get hit with a lien...no prior paperwork/signatures/signoff..nothing from the company. The letter says that "as a result of our failure to make the requisite monthly payments", they were drafting us up until October...and then told us sorry, we'll be sending you a refund...and now this??????????

Right now our original tank is somewhere in the hands of Hot Sauce while there is a lien on our home and a tarnished credit rating... all because I was scammed by a former employer. So much for parting ways amicably!!!

I expect that immediate action will be taking place. I've already started the ball rolling and placed a compliant to the Ministry of Consumer Services and prepared to contact the media if there is no resolution to this matter in a reasonable time.

A tankless tank really isn't worth this mess. Every step of the way has been an annoyance/headache, we were told this was an upgrade...we feel totally downgraded and trampled by you and your affiliated companies.

Unhappy & Waiting for refund and finally wash our hands of this mess,

upgrade to tankless

First and foremost i want to let you know that my wife and i are former employees of union energy/reliance home comfort. together we gave 17 years of service and left amicably due to maternity and voluntary lay-off.
We were renting a hwt from ozz rentals and my wife asked me to call ozz to see if we could buyout out our tank when we first moved into our new home. the buyout price was absolutely too expensive so we backed away from the deal. after talking to some friends who still work at reliance we heard that reliance acquired all of the ozz tanks.
We received a call from reliance, around june 2010, for a protection plan and i inquired about the purchase of the ozz tank by reliance and was told that yes that did happen. i asked if my tank was with reliance and she told me that it was . i was asking for an upgrade to a tankless and was told that such was possible. i was then advised that i would have to pay a higher rental rate and any excess installation charges if applicable. i was informed that reliance was happy to keep me on as a rental customer and that i would be well taken care of, all of the rental benefits were reiterated to me. i was glad because i really wanted to rent a tankless water heater. hot sauce the service company came to my house and removed the former ozz rental and replaced it with the reliance tankless heater. this took place on july 20 2010. they turned off our gas and forgot to turn it back on, then tried to charge us for a service call and were ready to put us into collections when it was their fault! by october 2010 i noticed that both companies were drafting money from my account. i called cathy barry, at customer relations for reliance and she told me that she could get me in contact with gladys, who handles the ozz rental acquisitions. i called her and she told me that she was sorry for this inconvenience and that i would surely be getting a refund cheque.
In the new year we still hadn't received a refund cheque from ozz so we called them and were told that they were still working on it. ...? we waited and then called again. juanita returned our call going on about some maxium company and how there had been a huge screw up and someone had to pay and we most definitely would not be receiving any kind of refund...we would be paying them!!! she followed up stating we owed for the "asset" $1637.78 which is what they had stated was the value of the asset when we moved into the house back in 2007!!!

I called ravi (reliance cust. relations) he told me not to worry he'll get me the refund cheque and straighten everything out.
About a year later from the anniversary of the beginning of this nightmare i'm getting calls from ozz saying that we still owe them money from the buyout we apparently requested. i didn't request anything from them as all my dealings were with reliance, whom i was told had acquired my tank and have been happily taking my money !!!
I spoke with ravi sharma and he told me that according leslie larosa, his manager, that their hands are washed of this and they could only offer me half of the buyout amount because they feel sorry for us (being former employees).
I am aware of how reliance's system works...the difference between a buyout and an upgrade. i would never have asked for a buyout and i am under record of refusing to do so. we are a single income family, a buyout is just not possible and that is why we never agreed to such...but it seems corporate entity wants to wring us dry and make off with our old rental tank so that we can kiss our once manageable/head-above-water lifestyle goodbye. $2000.00 is a big hit on one income.

Today i received a letter from ozz stating a lien has been placed on our home, for the asset, now valued at $1965.20!!! only a month ago it was $1637.78!!! a year later we get hit with a lien...no prior paperwork/signatures/signoff..nothing from the company. the letter says that "as a result of our failure to make the requisite monthly payments", they were drafting us up until october...and then told us sorry, we'll be sending you a refund...and now this??????????

Right now our original tank is somewhere in the hands of hot sauce while there is a lien on our home and a tarnished credit rating... all because i was scammed by a former employer. so much for parting ways amicably!!!

I expect that immediate action will be taking place. i've already started the ball rolling and placed a compliant to the ministry of consumer services and prepared to contact the media if there is no resolution to this matter in a reasonable time.

A tankless tank really isn't worth this mess. every step of the way has been an annoyance/headache, we were told this was an upgrade...we feel totally downgraded and trampled by you and your affiliated companies.

Unhappy & waiting for refund and finally wash our hands of this mess,

unauthorized entry

We recently had a person claiming to represent Reliance come to our house in Markham stating they needed to verify the water heater labels to ensure they were valid. This person asked to come into the house and do an inspection. We declined stating we had no notice of this in writing and were informed we would have seen a notice on our last bill. When we asked to see identification the girl pulled a Reliance badge out of her pocket and said she represented them. Here's the thing we don't have a Reliance water heater or any products or services with them. Word of caution if approached by a Reliance sales agent to do inspections.

hot water heater (scare tactics)

Reliance Home Comfort and Direct Energy are simply trying to steal each other's customers with promises that people will exchange the other's old tank out with a newer more efficient one. The bottom line is that we are the only place in the world where people rent these items and the longer we have them, the more money they make on them. Do your research and buy your own, finance it if you have to. These appliances very rarely break down and it is far cheaper over 10 years to service it a few times to ensure it is in working order. Watch out for D2D salespeople who are telling you your tank is not efficient or NOT energy star...These people come from National Home Services, Reliance Home Comfort, Enwise and Direct Energy amongst others...National Home Services will show you pictures of the inside of tanks rusting and corroding...Reliance won't do this because they are worried these pictures will get into the hands of their 1.5 million customers who will want a new tank if their 5 year old tank looks like the pictures...Bottom Line...Do not rent your appliances! These businesses make money renting because it makes financial sense for them to do so. Their service is not a priority, the environment is not a priority but getting their monthly rental fee from you is, this is how they afford to stay in business...By promising service but forgetting to tell you the parts that aren't included in your rental (Comfort Protection Plan) insurance contract...

beep Apr 04, 2011

I went through a Reliance Home Discomfort abusive billing as well. They called out of the blue a year or 2 ago asking if I was interesting in a home furnace service assurance for a nominal service charge which would be covered by a rebate for the first 6 months. Fine. The bill was so small...at first. It slowly increased the following year and then I was sent multiple bills at different prices. I called them and tried to cancel and was told I had to send them a letter in the mail to cancel. Good enough...after digging through their paperwork there was no apparent address to cancel so I called them back and they told me I could cancel by sending an email. They gave me an email address and I sent off my cancellation.
    In a short period I received a MAILER DAEMON indicating the email address did not exist. I called back and became belligerent enough that I was referred to someone that only gave me his first name and when he started going through the same spiel about having to mail them I told him to stop feeding me ### and cancel my account and the creative billing.
    He then got hold of his supervisor and I finally got a cancellation authorization number.
    The following month the bills kept coming with different values that could not be followed so i had to go back to their billing department to stop any collection agency from destroying my good name. I went through 4 levels of being put on hold with the same lying crap and would not get referred to a "supposed" higher person until I started swearing about their criminally insane abusive behavior. When the last guy finally got on the phone after about 15 minutes on hold I had finally figured out that I should be able to go on their website, sign up for my account number, and unsubscribe on their website...THE WEBSITE DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO MAKE A PASSWORD TO ACCESS YOU [email protected]%$?.
    The last guy on the phone tried to make it go away if I just paid the last bill from the time I made the first complaint and after explaining that the bill was paid in full at the time and I had a bank record to prove it and that I wanted his last name and location of his office so I could sue, he sent me an e-mail verifying the account was cleared and it actually had his full name and a reliance logo.
    I think this is what the dragons on Dragon Den call squeezing the customer for more money.
    We consumers need protection from this.
    I suggest anyone that has had to deal with this company or any other creative billing ( Rogers perhaps or Bell?) should contact their politicians during this election and have these thievery practices obliterated !

Pete E. Sep 30, 2011

I cannot understand how this company remains in business. They are very creative in all aspects of their services, and unfortunately, you find out the hard way after you "sign up", just how creative they are. Beware, or better still, don't deal with them and save yourself the mess you are going to get into. Signed by Pete E. ( One who has been there)

shoddy customer service

Consumer Beware! This protection plan apparently does not cover damages incurred while replacing a leaking water heater.
In short, sub contractors sent to fix a pressure problem days after the burst heater was replaced, damaged first the water heater then my home pipes. After creating a problem that did not exist, they tried to blame the condition of my relatively new homes copper pipes. During three separate house calls they smashed and banged the pipes until the house shook. Only after they showed me the water leak in the pipes did it occur to me that something was not right with the installers. They refused to fix the leak and took a powder as fast as they could while I was calling Reliance. This was 11PM and had to shut the water off until I could find plumbers at a cost of $400 to come and repair it.

This was bad enough, but the customer service was worse. Ten emails and several phone calls later, they continue to ignore me. No returned calls, NOTHING! At first they said they would reimburse me, then repeated what the sub contractors tried to sell me. As far as Reliance is concerned, the customer can be lied to, ignored and above all, believe what the sub contractors say because the customer can't be believed. After emailing me that they were going on the sub contractors word, total avoidance. They hope I will just fade away. Not on their lives. They need to realize that poor service will cost them customers. If I can help with this, then I will. This is the second time the heater has burst. We called them several months before this one went and they sent someone who said it was fine. Then it flooded my basement AGAIN! Then there is the yearly rebuilding of my furnace because of the poor installation, but that for another time. Lets see if anything happens when I complain to every consumer advocacy group I find. Lets see how long they intended to avoid doing the right thing.

So customer be forewarned, damages caused by Reliance will be your responsibility. And be prepared to be avoided if you encounter problems caused beyond the performance of their equipment. It’s in the contract you will sign when renting and paying for the COMFORT PROTECTION PLAN.

non-servicing/billing for non/servicing

I have been a customer of Reliance Home Comfort/Energy pretty much since they first started advertising.
The first year they seemed to do a good job when they did my yearly inspection of my furnace and my a/c. The technician washed down my a/c, checked everything, did the furnace, and I felt he did a thorough job. Little did I know that I would never get as good a service again!
I also have a water heater, at least 15 yr. old that I rent from them and they have never offered to replace or refurbish it, just keep billing me their monthly rental charge.
My compliant is two-fold. First of all, I pay for an insurance, that guarantees me a yearly inspection of my furnace and my a/c., however you never hear from them, once you sign up and start paying for the plan, It is up to you to phone them each year and set up appointments, which, by the way, they have not kept for the last two years that I set these up, and this past year, I have fallen so out of disfavour with them that I don't know where to turn.
By now there have been so many issues with them that I hardly remember the order of all the episodes I had with them.
I work odd hours, so it is difficult enought to sit around and wait for them all morning, all afternoon, or all day--all of which have been the case.
The last appointment that I had they were no-show. When they were already late, I phoned them, gave my acknowlegement # for the appointment and was told they were still coming.
I told them the same thing had happened before but I was assured they would soon be in my neighbourhood to do the job.
I waited the whole day and they didn't show up.
When I called again they were done for the day.
The next day it rained.
I thought they would contact me, giving a reason for the no-show but time went by and I heard nothing.
When I phoned up about it, I got a woman on the phone that informed me that they had been out and done the inspection.
I was waiting home that whole day, and believe me, they were never here.
When I asked for a supervisor I was told the same thing, and I the woman told me if I was unhappy I should cancel the service.
I told her to have them come out so that I could show her that they never left an inspection slip like they usually do.
I was shocked at her attitude and wanted to go over her head but she hung up on me. With that being her final word, I was under the impression that she cancelled my plan with them.
I withheld my payments, until such time that they resolved the matter, but they didn't care, just kept billing me and adding interest upon interest to the bills.
I phoned up and they refused to transfer me to a supervisor, actually they transferred me, now, to collections.
I called back several more times and they kept on saying they couldn't, now, talk to me, the matter was for collections who had nothing to do with the bad service and the no-service I had been experiencing.
I have an illness which is aggrevated by stress and I could just not put myself through any more.
They were only interested in billing me for service I had not been getting, now for 3 yrs or more.
By now commication with them was impossible and they sent me to a Collection Bureau and ruined my credit.
The year before they came out and couldn't do my a/c they said to call back in the spring, so they only checked the furnace.
The year before, they were also a no-show, because it rained and when I called was told they got behind due to the rain.
Each year I missed, they never stopped billing and I paid up until the time that they said they came out, said they had it in their records, but they never did come out and refused to correct their oversight or apologize.
The few years after the first year they would do one service but not the other. I never remember possibly only one occasion where they did the cleaning and inspection of both appliances and it was a really incomplete rush job, the technition was in and out within 15 min. My air conditioner was never fully inspected again, yet their bills, month after mon. charged me for having service for both the a/c and the furnace.
AT this point I don't know how to resolve this.
I called today, and, of course, the customer relations supervisor was not there, while now I am sitting here with a Furnace that needs cleaning and needs to be turned on for th year. It is 60 degrees in my house and getting colder at night.
No one there seems to care, they only want money they didn't earn,
I feel they should not get any money beyond the last time they cleaned both appliances which was maybe 5 yr. or more ago.
Someone needs to fully look into this at their end and own up to the poor service, the billing for services not received, remove the horrendous interest payments, restore my credit.
My next step will be to look for an ombudsman or newspaper column that can help me deal with a place where you never can talk to the same person twice in a row, can never follow up on an issue that you started withanother agent, you are just dealing with a voice on the phone who has the ability to hang up on you rather than really listen and put a customer in touch with someone there that can finally do something!

misc. billing

I purchased a house 3 years ago. The water heater rental at the time was under $30 per month (confirmed). When I received my first bill the monthly rental was almost $60 per month. We came to the agreement to pay less temporarily (this took months & 7 phone calls), but then the the rate whent back up. I decided to have an electrician put in a new unit & stop dealing with Reliance. The electrician also does service calls for Reliance & took the unit out for us. After the removal I was owed over $80 back from over payment. Reliance sent me a statement with a $40 credit. The rest was kept back for a $45 Inspection & Account closing fee. When I called, they said that it was in the agreement that there was a $40 removal fee. I never signed an agreement, but apparently by paying your first bill you agree to pay this mysterious fee. I asked how much of the $40 my electrician was paid to remove the unit so I could call him to ask if he was paid, the CSR decided it was an account closing fee & that the removal was free with the account closing fee. I asked for my account to be left open. I don't mind if they pay 55 cents per month to continue sending me statements. They would not budge on the $40 &, since I have a credit with them, there is no way to get it back.
At the end of the conversation I asked when to expect my $40 credit by cheque. This was another whole process! Did I want payment by cheque?...well since you are closing my account, yes! If I hadn't asked for it what were they planning to do with it? Then we had to go over what my mailing address is (how about the same one you just sent this statement to?) Why wasn't the cheque just sent out with my statement? We had to make sure we had the correct address...really? You have sent me a bill every 3 months for almost 3 years & I have paid them...you probably have the correct address...man I am so glad to be done with Reliance!

sajrah Nov 27, 2010

Same issue here. The mysterious contract. It turns out no one can supply you with one.

We decided to have ours removed and buy one from HD; well HD took it and delivered it to Reliance for no charge. I get a bill where a 100$ is being charged for damage fee; when i called they said equipment was returned damaged- i wanted photos which they said they had; no photos were ever produced; then the story was changed, because i came out of THE contract whcih i never had. After weeks of endless promised phonecalls I took the matter directly to Reliance HQ, guess what the CSRs refused to give me the address of their president or to a senior manager. Some how, either they are continuously on lunch or away from the office. 8_ supervisors could not resolve this issue. Finally, the contract is there embedded deep in their website. It turns out you pay that fee only if the tank is certain years old. In this case it was 14; fees only apply below 10.

With that information, they still would not acknowledge it. I took the matter directly to BBB and they delayed in responding with BBB coming back stating they could not get any verdict back. I gave Reliance an ultimatum of a few days before I take the matter to the newspaper for fraud. They promptly issued a cheque which I never received.

I called them to say the cheque had not arrived; I was asked to call back in 4 weeks to give time. I did and they called to verify the address. Still no cheque. I called them again yesterday; the person is on lunch. Since Oct 11 and today. No one has cut a replacement cheque. Again, i have given them 14 days. Failing this, I will definitely take them to either the Ombudsman as well as the newpapers and report this fraud which they are doing across the board with impunity. Since Sept when i report this and now, they have really been sleeping away.

The consumers have no recourse. I love their claim at the bottom 'misleading tactics'. They truly are a fraud. Why do people not just get their own hot water heats.

An excerpt:
    Dear Mr. Rah:

On August 11, 2010, cheque number xxxxxxxxx in the amount of $xx.xx was mailed to your home address.

If you have not received this cheque, I will have to put a stop payment on it, and re-issue.

Sincerely,

Cathy
    Employee Number: 2121
    Customer Relations
    Reliance
    [email protected]
    Fax: 416-756-8926
    Phone: 1-877-633-0274
    Beware of misleading door to door sales tactics from other rental water heater providers.
    Tale or Truth?
    Get the Facts -
    Call us at 1-866-RELIANCE (735-4262)
    The Right Call. Guaranteed.

unathorized withdrawal

So the "maitenance guy" showed up for 30 seconds looked around and said "sir you need a new boiler, please sign here"... So I did.

2 months later I am still having issues with my old boiler. Called the company 3 times and left a message about the boiler replacement. No reponse...

This morning I woke up to learn that I have been billed $118.10 for the "service" this douchebag did...
Unbelivable... What do I do? Small claims court?

rental boiler

Numerous complaints towards water leaking of this rental boiler unit since day one – Jan 2008 – when I moved in to this town house complex. All along the same technician named “Scott” – a sub-contractor through “Fannair” came each and every time though not able to fix the problem . . . .

The one time approx. Jan/Feb 2009, Scott eventually identified the problem is “installation” guy did not follow the protocol but missed one part which he said he ordered and 2 months later, he came to install and supposed this is the root problem.

However, water leaking continued and more service calls were placed.

You can imagine this is very frustrating for us . . . . we never know when the bucket holding water will be full and if we are away, then there is possibility that water damage may be a result . . . . .

The last service call we place which Reliance charged us $89.00 in this context I protest: Scott just came in for 2 minutes and gave us a “formed letter” . No indication shows which organization issued this “formed letter” saying water leaking is due to “T&P relief valve”. I never have heard about this and if this is a common problem which your organization or whoever identified, then this formed letter should be MAILED to us prior and not being delivered by this technician and then charge us a service call for $89.00 plus tax.

This is totally a scam! I cannot imagine this is considered a “service call”.

I will not pay and will seek outside help if this is not dealt with seriously on the part of “Reliance”.

Caroline - Aurora, Ontario, Sept 24, 2010

hot water heater

Reliance Home Comfort is a scam. Ever since we have gotten a new hot water tank we have had nothing but problems. Not enough hot water, low pressure and now it keeps shutting off and we have to keep manually turning the pilot light on (and I mean every half hour). 3 calls into Reliance and it is still not repaired. Each time they think they know what's wrong...except that it still does not work! Each time I phone, I have to give all the information over again which is ridiculous! You have to punch in your phone number and then they ask you again. Over and over again! I'd like to know what other company I can use. This company is a scam and should seriously be looked into. 3 days and no hot water. Can you imagine this company is still around with all the complaints. Oh and this guy coming today is already...31 minutes late with no courtesy call.

had to wait 8 hours to get leaking hot water theater replaced

Our hot water heater burst and started leaking @ 3 am on a saturday morning. We were ankle deep in water from...

furnace, c/air, air cleaner rental

I have submitted an offer on a house that has a furnace, air cleaner, and central air rental agrrement with...

installation & blatant disregard

Well I have been dealing with reliance for almost two years over this matter! I purchased top of the line high efficiency air and furnace for my home and going with a company I thought I could trust. Big mistake! Not only did they destroy my basement but the installers were cussing and rude because the salesman sold me something apparently that would take two days! I had the service manager come to my house and all he did was make excuses for his people. They were directly from reliance not contracted out. I had to make service calls because they just slapped it all together. The technicians that came out to fix these problems could not believe what a state everything was in...In their words "this was just thrown together". To top it all off I never received a bill when the deferred payment was up so they just automatically started taking out my money! Charging interest = $2000 more!!! I keep getting told its handled and every god damn time I call I never get called back unless its 10 or 11 am. Hello I work! The last guy said it was all handled and I thought awesome! Nope!!! Two months later and here I am!!! Then when I called him numerous amounts of time he sent me a message apologizing for his tardiness > is that a joke??? Two months is not tardy its blatant disregard!!! He also did not even 'remember' what we worked out so im taking it as a re-nag!!! This company is ridiculous and they say call customer service > they didnt even return my phone calls either! Beware!!!

• Ba
    Barbara Lenehan Oct 21, 2013

My Mother bought a new furnace and air conditioner from Reliance about 2 years ago and put it on monthly payments. She listed her home and wanted to pay it off, well when we called for the buyout the told us the amount and said it would be taken out of her account in 30 days. The amount did not come out and subsequently she goy another bill with a $163.00 interest owing. I called and they said we are not authorized to take that amount out of the account ..and that they would wave the interest if we put it on her visa, which we did and got a revised invoice saying nothing was owing. Fast forward... a she sold her house and when we got to the lawyers office RELIANCE had put a lien on her house for non payment!!! This is absolutely the most inept staff that I have ever dealt with, they have absolutely no idea what they are doing and we will be seeking legal council over their gross negligence. It has come to our attention that they treat all seniors this way. DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY.

blatant disregard

rental furnace

Two weeks before I put an offer on a house, I called Reliance to inquire about their furnace rentals since the house I was looking at had a rental already installed. I was told that they couldn't discuss the furnace nor options (removal/buyout/monthly rate) but I was to call once I was in the house for arrangements. I stupidly believed the guy and put in the offer. After the offer was accepted, I get an email from my realitor to contact Reliance. I called them and found out that I now either pay a monthly rate for the remainder of the contract or buy out the furnace and receive no warranty (I was told they were in the rental business and not the warranty one). They refused to remove the furnace. I called back repeatedly and asked to talk to a supervisor and was refused. I finally had a person call me back but they told me to contact my lawyer since it was "out of their hands". I did and the cost to litigate is more than the cost for the furnace.

Do not rental from these people. A seven year term with no ability to have it removed or canceled is a bad idea, especially if you are selling your house or going to purchase one with a rental unit. I have also had problems with their service with my water heater in the current house which makes me furious I have to pay this company any money for their predatory practices.

petra7 Dec 03, 2010

I was not aware, though I am sure it was in that fine print somewhere, that my furnace rental involved a lein on my property. When I went to renegotiate a mortgage it became a big issue at the last moment, as the bank was told that I had a lein on my mortgage. The lein is for quite a bit more than the furnace was worth, as the lein amount had not decreased as the value as the furnace had. It was a very stressful wrench in the last moments of my mortgage renewal. I sure lost sleep over that ! As I was only told I had this big lein on my house that I could not figure out for a bit . Wow. I was told that I had signed that I was aware that I had a lein on my property, just from renting a furnace. Probably did ignorantly sign that fine print, it came back to bite me.I was ignorant how signing this would cause such a stressful situation in my future. Please read fine print and be aware of the liability to you of renting a furnace to renegotiating a mortgage in the future. Reliance did respond to my urgency quite quickly and I was able to get rid of the lien by buying the furnace quickly. Thanks for that.

petra7 Dec 03, 2010

This did happen! I was extremely stressed towards the last minute wrench in my mortgage by the bank telling me I had a big lein on my property! It was, for me, the innocent renting of a furnace. Do not rent if you can buy! Read fine print! It sure messed me up.
    To Reliance's credit, they did respond quickly to my very stressed phone calls. I was eventally able to get though to their legal department, who helped me by discharging the lein, when I requested to buy out the furnace out of the proceeds of my mortgate. Lesson learned, read fine print! If if sounds too good, it is too good! Read rental agreement carefully, get legal advise! It almost messed up my attempt to remortgage. Reliance legal department was quite helpful though, when I finally got through to them in the midst of a mortgage renegotiation fiasco. IF they say, you have a lein on your mortgage, think, do I have a furnace rental?

harrassment

This company has always bee a terrible bother with calling 2-3 times per month whether or not I am paid up but recently they have taken it to a whole new level of ###. Now not only do I get the regular “Urgent” phone call for the 15$ I owe them for the month (regardless of whether its due) but I also get several “dead air” calls and the worst of it, a new robotic voice message stating I need to call them back immediately or risk having my service “cut off” or equipment “removed” the following day.

Absolutely garbage customer service when I call and even worse business practices… stay away if possible.

defective compressor

In October of 2006 we had a rented Goodman Furnace and Air conditioning unit installed in our home. In 2009...

last minute service cancellation

I am based out of Windsor, Ontario and I am sending this message to escalate an issue that I encountered with...

Windsor Appliances