Reliance Home Comfort Logo

Reliance Home Comfort

Having problems with Reliance Home Comfort?

Reliance Home Comfort reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 29, 2008. The latest review Air hamdler was posted on Feb 23, 2021. The latest complaint Complaint of Service was resolved on Mar 02, 2020. Reliance Home Comfort has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 214 reviews. Reliance Home Comfort has resolved 34 complaints.

Reliance Home Comfort Customer Service Contacts

1888 837 1451 (Customer Service)
+1 866 735 4262 (Payment Arrangement)
PO Box 2305 Stn A
Sat24h
Sun24h

Reliance Home Comfort Complaints & Reviews

Reliance Home Comfort — defective compressor

In October of 2006 we had a rented Goodman Furnace and Air conditioning unit installed in our home. In 2009...

Reliance Home Comfort — last minute service cancellation

I am based out of Windsor, Ontario and I am sending this message to escalate an issue that I encountered with...

Windsor

Reliance Home Comfort — slow service response

So my hot water tank broke down today and I tried lighting up the pilot to see if I could get it up and...

Waterloo

Reliance Home Comfort lack of service

I have paid a monthly "service" fee to this company for years. Yesterday I called about our AC and was told by their rep in the Philippines that someone could be at my house the next day somewhere between 1PM and 5PM... that means 5PM. I am expected to not only to pay these crooks a monthly fee but then also take time off work at my expense so it is more convenient to Reliance.
I told the rep I have to work for a living and can't afford to take time off to suit them. The rep said its all they can do. I asked her to have a supervisor call me... 24 hrs later still NO CALL from Reliance.

The Reliance call centre is on the other side of the world and I am here in Cambridge Ontario. This company has no clue as to what customer service is. Their interpretation of customer service is that the customer serve them !!!
This is a disgusting, almost criminal way of doing business... they just take the money and run.

• Mi
      MikeKD May 29, 2010

I would like to say thank you to Kim at Reliance Customer Service. Kim called me and reviewed the situation. Once misunderstandings were cleared up, the situation was resolved to my satisfaction. The techs did arrive mid afternoon Friday 28 May and the problem was fixed within 15 minutes.

Hopefully everything will continue to go smoothly.

Thanks again

MikeKD

• Ki
      Kim at Reliance May 27, 2010

Dear MikeKD,
      I'm the Customer Relations Supervisor at Reliance Home Comfort and I would like to learn more about your customer experience. I would be happy to work with you directly to resolve the issue. If I can be of any help, please contact me by telephone at [protected] or by email at [email protected]

Reliance Home Comfort/Hot Water Heaterinstallation scam

In January 2010, I was visited by an individual claiming to be acting on behalf of the company I currently rent a hot water heater from. He indicated he was assessing from eligibility for an upgrade to an energy efficient model and there would be an additional change of 1.25 per month. I agreed to the installation and within 3 days I had a new water heather. Four months later I receive a bill from Reliance who I have never done business with. I called Reliance and spoke with them. Firstly the door to door sales people are contracted out and not employees of Reliance. I am assuming they are paid on commission and will do whatever they need to make a sale. Finally Reliance agreed (once I spoke with a supervisor) to removing my hot water tank when my previous company was able to reinstall it. When I approached my previous company to reinstall a hot water heater, they indicated that this happens all the time. The lesson here is that not to deal with an individual coming door to door. Consumers please be careful.

• Ki
        Kim at Reliance May 17, 2010

Hello Robert1965
        Kim

Reliance Home Comfort used scare tactics to try and scam me at my home

Comfort protection plan is a scam. Reliance sales person sold me the "comfort protection plan". Feb. 2006.

The sales pitch was a pack of lies. She basically said the furnace and air conditioner were completely covered for all repairs @ 15.99 a month. They will send out a repair man and fix any problems. I thought it too good to be true so I asked several questions.

November 2009 (After almost 4 years of payments) the furnace wouldn't turn on. So I called reliance, by the time the repair man arrived it was working. But he was quite happy to rip apart our furnace and tell us it had a cracked heat exchanger and to fix that it was $900.00 so he might as well sell me a new furnace. So, I said when can you fix it, as it was all covered under the comfort protection plan, right?

Wrong! I was now being educated about what it didn't cover, which is basically everything that usually breaks down. I suddenly felt I was in the middle of a scam, not only had I been paying 15.99 a month for nothing. But this allowed reliance to enter you home and further rip me off.

He said he by policy (Whose self serving policy) he would have to disable my furnace. Leaving a family of five without heat! Remember it was working before he arrived.

I don't believe he was honest about the cracked heat exchanger because the furnace is still working.

Reliance - first scammed me out of 15.99 a month for four years, and then used scare tactics to try and scam me at my home.

Of course when I called reliance to complain and ask for a refund of my $15.99 a month for four years. They read from a script deflecting away from the lying salesperson to blaming us for not reading the fine print in the pamphlet they never sent me.

Beware of reliance - they are scammers.

• Wh
          Whizowhaz Apr 29, 2011

I have worked there as a salesperson selling the comfort protection plan. It is the fault of the sales person who sold that specific plan to you as he/she didn't mention the exclusion of the plan. Heat exchangers are never covered in any coverage plans nut normally Reliance does give you $200 off of a new furnace that you buy from them if your heat exchanger fails while being on the plan. Also normally the company sends out the pamphlets with all the terms and conditions to your mailing address. I wonder why you never received that. Seems like an isolated scenario in your case. But I will be honest with you. Exclusions are always there in every coverage plan and the salesperson normally needs to mention to the customer what is not covered. I have worked for them and I believe they are much better than Direct Energy and Enbridge in terms of their prices and customer to technician ratio. Hope you had better experiences in the future.

beep Apr 04, 2011

I went through a Reliance Home Discomfort abusive billing as well. They called out of the blue a year or 2 ago asking if I was interesting in a home furnace service assurance for a nominal service charge which would be covered by a rebate for the first 6 months. Fine. The bill was so small...at first. It slowly increased the following year and then I was sent multiple bills at different prices. I called them and tried to cancel and was told I had to send them a letter in the mail to cancel. Good enough...after digging through their paperwork there was no apparent address to cancel so I called them back and they told me I could cancel by sending an email. They gave me an email address and I sent off my cancellation.
          In a short period I received a MAILER DAEMON indicating the email address did not exist. I called back and became belligerent enough that I was referred to someone that only gave me his first name and when he started going through the same spiel about having to mail them I told him to stop feeding me ### and cancel my account and the creative billing.
          He then got hold of his supervisor and I finally got a cancellation authorization number.
          The following month the bills kept coming with different values that could not be followed so i had to go back to their billing department to stop any collection agency from destroying my good name. I went through 4 levels of being put on hold with the same lying crap and would not get referred to a "supposed" higher person until I started swearing about their criminally insane abusive behavior. When the last guy finally got on the phone after about 15 minutes on hold I had finally figured out that I should be able to go on their website, sign up for my account number, and unsubscribe on their website...THE WEBSITE DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO MAKE A PASSWORD TO ACCESS YOU [email protected]%$?.
          The last guy on the phone tried to make it go away if I just paid the last bill from the time I made the first complaint and after explaining that the bill was paid in full at the time and I had a bank record to prove it and that I wanted his last name and location of his office so I could sue, he sent me an e-mail verifying the account was cleared and it actually had his full name and a reliance logo.
          I think this is what the dragons on Dragon Den call squeezing the customer for more money.
          We consumers need protection from this.
          I suggest anyone that has had to deal with this company or any other creative billing ( Rogers perhaps or Bell?) should contact their politicians during this election and have these thievery practices obliterated !

Reliance Home Comfort won't pay for furnace repairs

This is a warning for anyone who has a Peak Saver thermostat installed in their home and has warrenty coverage with Reliance Home Comfort. Reliance will not cover repairs to your furnace.

On March 26 2010 my furnace broke down and I called Reliance to repair my furnace. Their representative came in and after his inspection said to call Peak Saver because their thermostat was broken.Because it was a cold day he shoed me how to hotwire the furnace if I wanted heat. I chose to grab a couple of sweaters instead. A contactor from Peak Saver came in and reset the thermostat. It was not broken as Reliance said. The problem was caused by a bad belt which caused the thermostat to go into lockout position.

While Peak Savers was over a call was placed to Reliance to see if it was ok to go ahead with doing the belt work. Mike Travers the technical rep disconnected from the call and I went ahead with the work.The bill came to $205.80 . After spending extra time and money faxing and photo - copying the various paperwork Reliance decided not to pay the bill because as Mike Travers said Peak Savers thermostats are a pain in the ### and we don't like working on them. They offered me 3 months of free warrenty to cover cost of belt which is an insult because it didn't cover labour to install belt and their warrenty is useless.

I decided to go higher and file a complaint with Reliance.I sent an email to supervisor of customer relations.( She never returns my phone calls.)Here is her email reply.

Dear Mr. Krupa,

have thoroughly reviewed your situation below with the Service Manager. The Comfort Protection Plan you have does cover thermostats; however in your case, you have had a 3rd party, namely Peak Saver, modify your thermostat. This is a program offered by the local utility company. We are not able to work on these types of thermostats. The only options available would be to have Peak Saver come and fix it or replace the thermostat with a regular one. If the latter option was chosen, you would have been out of the Peak Saver program and lose out on future rebates for being part of this. Therefore, unfortunately Reliance will not be able to assist with the costs you incurred for utilizing the Peak Saver contractor to fix the issue with the thermostat.

If you have any other question or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Allen
        Supervisor, Customer Relations
        Reliance Home Comfort
        [protected]@reliancecomfort.com

Peak Saver program is being pushed by Utility companies everywhere and Reliace doesn't want to spend the money to train their employees on a program meant to save consumers money and help prevent future brownouts by peaksaver is an innovative program designed to help you reduce the demands on the electricity system. During peak electricity demand times, typically on hot summer days, a signal will be sent to reduce the electricity demand of your central air conditioning system, which in turn helps to reduce the amount of electricity needed by the Province. You won't even notice a difference, and you're doing your part to conserve without incurring time, effort or cost!

I spoke to the contractor from Peak Savers and he said they are not dificult to fix.Reliance just chooses not to spend money to train their people.And why should they when from reviewing the complaints board if a knowledgible and competent third party has to come in to fix a problem that Reliance didn't know how to they won't pay.
        When I signed up for Reliance warrenty I was told everything was covered.First time I have to use their service they make up excuses not to pay. Its like the Michael Moore movie Sicko. They like collecting your premiums but when it comes time to pay they find reasons not to.

beep Apr 04, 2011

In a short period I received a MAILER DAEMON indicating the email address did not exist. I called back and became belligerent enough that I was referred to someone that only gave me his first name and when he started going through the same spiel about having to mail them I told him to stop feeding me [censor] and cancel my account and the creative billing.

Reliance Home Comfort — alleged damage to water heater

I recently switched companies to rent my hot water tank. I had been with Reliance for 13 years and another...

Reliance Home Comfort service charge

Here is a company that doesn't care at all for its customers. We pay and pay for water heater rentals and service. Then when you actually need service they CHARGE you again.
          Our two year old had unknowingly turned off our water heater so we end up calling reliance. They charged us $90 just to turn it back on saying that it wasn't covered by the years of payments and they were quite rude about it. This is ridiculous.

• In
              intle Feb 16, 2011

Just quit their service.
              Buy and install own one will save you great amount of money.
              hot water tank rarely need repairing if well maintained (just open a tap annually to keep it working).
              Reliance is a very bad company of service.

• Em
              Emilly Jun 06, 2010

Wriiten by Jeff Singh, a disturbed little [censor] head who hates the world.
              [censor] off Jeff, some of us are actually not as angry at the world as you are.

Leave and get on with your new job and stop pushing to get paid to leave.

Reliance Home Comfort — bill scam

Hello everyone, I really would like to let people know how Reliance manage their business. I was renting...

Reliance Home Comfort — hot water heater rental

I have just moved to Ontario and have been exposed to the scam of the hot water heater rental business. On...

Reliance Home Comfort — furnace repair

I have had reliance to my home to fix my furnace 5 times in one month. They have been unable to diagnose the...

Reliance Home Comfort — service

It's saturday morning. I'm sitting in a freezing cold house as my furnace stopped working last night around...

Reliance Home Comfort — service / repairs

The water heater started leaking on friday, was noticed on saturday when after running the tap for more than...

Brampton