Portfolio Recovery AssociatesSub-human leeches

M

For almost 2 YEARS I've been getting phone calls from Portfolio Recovery.
They would call 2, 3, 4 times a day, 7 days a week from several different phone numbers (all traceable back to them).
They would always - ALWAYS- get my answering machine and not once did they leave a message stating who they were, who they were looking to speak to, what their business was with the person they were calling, or what debt/company they were collecting for. NOT ONCE. So, I wouldn't ever call them back.
They just kept on calling.
Now, 2 yrs and some months later, they claim they got a 'judgment' against me, (I was never notified by mail or otherwise of this)
and have actually GARNISHED MONEY from my personal savings account!! That is OUTRAGEOUS!!
WTH! Can this company get away with this? Who makes the laws that allow this to happen?

I called these lousy rip offs today, and was told they bought a credit card debt from Capitol-1 back in 2010, and they have been unsuccessful in collecting on it... soooo... Garnish time!
Wait a minute, I said, I want to dispute that debt with Capitol-1... I don't owe them anything, as a matter of fact, I currently have two perfectly good credit cards with them that go back to at least that point in time; no problems, not even late payments! Why in the world would they give me two more credit cards if I still owed them money on another one?
They said, "Oh they sometimes do that - once they write off a debt from the past... but now WE legally OWN that debt and we are collecting on it. "
I said well I dispute that "old debt" because I don't believe I EVER owed that money, now, or back then".
They said, essentially- "Too bad. You should have picked up the phone all those times we called and worked out a payment plan with us. You owe US the money now. It's too late to dispute that. You needed to dispute it back when Capitol-1 was trying to collect".
I said again-- "I had nothing to dispute with capitol 1, because I was never in default with capitol-1! Don't you think it's POSSIBLE that debt was sold to you or was somehow listed as mine in error?"
"Well, she said, it could have been, but it's too late now because you didn't call us back all that time and explain that. Besides, we have your social security number, so it's you for sure."
We exchanged a few more words, I saw I was getting nowhere, and her last words to me were:
"The only thing left to do now is pay the approximately $1200 which is the amount of the debt we bought."
I said really? I've never had a credit card from anyone with more than a 500 credit limit. My Capitol-1 credit limit _now_ is only $300 per card. You won't see a dime."
And I hung up in frustration. Now I can't have a savings or checking account (in my name alone) because they WILL steal my money out of it again . HOW DO I STOP THESE PEOPLE???

• Kt
    KT17 Nov 20, 2013

I work for a company that when someone defaults on a debt, we have to go through the court system and the persons employer for garnishment. The proper legal authorities will hold garnishments out of your paycheck, NOT take them from your bank account. You need to close your accounts and go talk to your local district attorney to get this resolved.

• St