Pop Telecomcancellation and charges

P

Having received over 700 reviews, Pop Telecom is ranked 95 out of all the 98 telecommunications firms reviewed on Trustpilot. The regulatory association of this firm is CISAS, who deals with customers' complaints. CISAS needs a copy of the evidence (including communications) you have of the issue with the firm. A number of things could form the base of the complaint against Pop Telecom, for example:

(1) Charges not included in the advertised contract. While advertising on comparethemarket.com, Pop Telecom did not specify the cancellation fee of £50 per connection. This means a contract with this firm will cost you extra £100 if you have both broadband and landline when you transfer to a new provider. The price shown on comparethemarket.com is generally the total cost one faces when he transfers the connections to a new provider. Pop Telecom seems to take advantage of this common view. This is not fair to customers or other firms.

(2) Increased cancellation fees. Pop Telecom increased the cancellation fee per connection from £25 to £50 in October 2017. If a customer wished to leave the company because of this increase, he would have to pay £50 for both broadband and landline. If he did not want to pay that amount, he would be forced to stay with Pop Telecom. This way of keeping customers seems against the spirit of fair competition. It does not show dignity and respect to a customer.

(3) Threat to customers. A Pop Telecom customer might have received a letter ‘Terminating your account notification' that says ‘Termination fees … may be up to £500.' How does Pop Telecom compute this amount?

(4) Quiet charges. Pop Telecom adds items on a monthly bill without having a customer's consent. If a customer does not notice it, she loses a few pounds every month. If she emails Pop Telecom to complain, the firm will apologise and return the money.

(5) Violent charges. To add to many examples listed in Trustpilot reviews, I add here mine. A late payment defined by Pop Telecom is one paid after the first of a month. I paid a monthly bill on 01/12/2017. The firm told me this was late payment because they received the payment on 04/12/2017. However, I have an email to evidence that the payment was made on 01/12/2017.

Pop Telecom does not show dignity and respect to a customer. This firm seems good at playing with their T&Cs to undermine fair competition and customer's trust. There may be other incidents you have experienced with Pop Telecom. Keeping evidence and thinking about your rights is always helpful. Seeking a second opinion from e.g., CISAS, comparethemarket.com, or BBC Panorama or Watchdog can be helpful, too.

• Co
    Costas Pikatsa Nov 08, 2018

Hi I was POP Telecom customer, Curries Margate have a laptop at their front door, advertising POP.T . So I signed up there and then, after a chat with Curries staff. Process signed up, date given, so I waited as you do, it happened, not on the date they said, an hour here and there online if I was lucky, then I got nothing for 2/3 months nothing, I was paying pcm too. POP drove me nuts, customer services terrible, make you ill, I had to move on for my own sake, so I tried Talktalk, there was a leaving cost at POP, then POP lady phoned me, after much hum and arr, circles, she told me leaving, £460.00 end of, wow, I could just about afford it, but I payed, anything to get rid of them, then months later a POP bill ??? £18.00 what, I payed it, really, POP go away. Now on Talktalk, blimey I got a service, online. No more constant 404, s or you do not have an internet connection.
    POP minted me made a bundle from me, gave me nothing. Never again.

Chris Ingle Jun 05, 2019

Only joined 6 weeks ago and have had to complain many times about service. Told they have fixed it many times but is not any better. Now being told need new router as in their words the standard one isn't that good so I should spend more money with them for more expensive one. Lost replacement router and not responding to my emails now, will be sending to ombsman to get supply switched and only went with them as Martin Lewis site recommended them!