PetSmartgrooming

G

I have been a customer of the PetSmart in Lake Zurich for many years but mostly to purchase cat products. Recently I purchased a ShiPoo ([censored]zu-Poodle) and started using their grooming services. Our dog has long hair and even when brushed every other day she can required a lot of care. Today a PetSmart groomer wanted to shave my dog because she felt the dog was too matted to wash and comb.in Illinois it's 90° outside and the last thing my dog needs is a sunburn on virgin skin. When I said that's silly and mentioned that if they gave me a comb I would show her she was easy to comb through they said no it was against their policy because I may hurt my own dog and blame them. I asked to see their grooming manager and the store manager was brought in instead. She had no power and claimed that she did not know the policies of the grooming department. After some convincing I was aloud to use a comb but was told it didn't matter if I could comb the dog they, the groomers, didn't feel comfortable doing it. This is a grooming department right? To top it off they had my dog listed as a Havaneese and when I asked them to make the correction in their system they claimed it would cost me three dollars to do so. Why should I pay for their mistake? I took my dog right to PetCo where I was treated with respect and shown how a mat removing comb could be used to take care of the problem with out the need to shave her as PetSmart said was the only alternative. PetCo was great. PetSmart needs to hire a better staff who show more respect to people spending money in their stores.

• Ms
    M. St.Mary Aug 09, 2008

I stopped in PetSmart to pick up some dog treats and while there decided to have my Peke's back nails clipped. 3 years ago he had spinal cord surgery to correct a disk herniation in his lower back. As a result, he has lost the ability to walk unassisted. He is not in any pain and pulls himself around using his front 2 legs quite well. He does wear a harness over his back legs so that I can hold his back legs up and he walks with his front legs. Since he does not naturally wear down the nails on his back legs. the nails grow unevenly. He had 2 or 3 nails I wanted clipped. They asked for his rabies certificate which I retrieved out of the car. When I returned, they asked "can't this dog walk?" When I said no, they said they would not cut his nails as they cannot accept any dog that cannot walk. They wouldn't want to "take him in the back and cause him any more pain". When I told him that was ridiculous, they said it was corporate policy. They made no attempt to placate me, call a manager (indeed the assistant mgr. was one of the 4 people standing in the grooming salon with nothing to do) or even apologize or an idiotic rule...if it even is truly a corporate rule. Never again. DO NOT TAkKE YOUR DOGS TO PETSMART TO BE GROOMED! They obviously do not know what they are doing.

• Da
    Danni Aug 20, 2008

It is PetSmart's policy that if a dog cannot stand under it's own power, that the dog needs to be groomed by a vet. That way if there happened to be any kind of problems, the vet would be able to handle them. To be able to do a proper service for any animal, that animal must be able to stand under its own power.

annonymous Aug 24, 2008

you are an idiot because that is a rule to protect your pet. they were obviously looking out for your pets safety. it takes two seconds to clip a dogs nails but obviously they couldnt do it for a reason.

Annonymous Sep 03, 2008

Okay listen say they were to clip your dogs nails and something did happen to your dog during the process, then what would you do? You would flip out on them and probably try to sue them. PETSMART is just looking at the best interest of the dog's safety and they don't want to risk anything happening to your dog. So obviously you don't care about your dog and his safety and obviously PETSMART does!

Christina1015 Jul 13, 2009

On Sunday July 12, 2009, I took my 5 year old English Setter to his grooming appointment at 12pm. They said he would be finished at 4pm. I arrived back at 4 and was told it would take another 30 minutes, so I left and had to go back. I waited for a little while for someone to come out and help me and I witnessed a groomer pretty much abusing a dog. She was trying to cut his nails and he was pulling away (as expected) and at one point he fell off the table and she yanked him back up by his throat and continued to pull and yank on his paws brutally.
    When Willis, my dog, was returned to me, I noticed he had a horribly uneven cut, and that there were some really long hairs that the groomer missed. Instead of complaining, I just paid and decided I would try to fix his fur when I got home.
    Well, when I got home he ran to his water dish like he didn't have a drink for 4 hours. Then, I grabbed a pair of scissors and started to clip the random hair the groomer missed and I saw a bunch of fleas on his bottom! My dog did not have fleas when I dropped him off! In fact, he has never had fleas! I knew he caught them at Petsmart. When I contacted the store, and finally got in touch with the manager the next day, they offered me a free flea bath after I already went to a different store as soon as I saw the fleas and treated him with 30 dollars worth of over-the-counter remedies. What is a free flea bath going to do? Make it so that he has to sit in a cage for 6 hours while he dries and doesn't eat or drink anything? Then, he might catch some other insect infestation or disease from the unsanitary facility? No thanks. They also missed some of his nails. Some of them weren't even filed down. I will never have my dog groomed at PetSmart or purchase any of their products again.

• Is
    islilme23 Aug 02, 2009

That is a horrible ordeal that the other dog had to go through about the nails. And what a hassle coming back at the appointed time to have them tell you to leave and come back. However, don't EVER say your dog has never had fleas. If you refuse to be a responsible dog owner and NOT put your dog on a FLEA PREVENTATIVE then your asking for trouble. I don't care if your dog is made out of gold or never leaves the house unless to go boo boo in the yard. DON'T blame others if you won't take that responsibility in preventing fleas. If you are taking your dog around other dogs, guess what, those dogs may have owners that are just as irresponsible and may not be treating them like you weren't. They are to blame for the bad haircut and timing. YOU'RE to blame for the blood-sucking parasites.

• Po
    poodle Aug 23, 2009

When we picked up our female standard poodle from Petsmart grooming salon in Fayetteville, NC this afternoon 22 August 09, I was horrified !! Almost all her nails are bleeding!!! I went back in the grooming salon and told the lady that groomed her that her nails are bleeding and that she had cut it very short, she took my poor poodle and applied some stuff in her nails and then told me that the nails is pressing in the concrete as the dog walk thats why it bleeds. What an excuse!! Jeez ...I felt so bad for my dog, , , and we just left since she cant stand this lady touching her anymore.

• Li
    Lilosmom Jul 09, 2010

I have 4 babies that have been going to Petsmart since 2008! Ever since the first visit, I have stated to the staff not to cut the baby hair of their puppy tails! Today my almost 3 yr old silky, Lilo went to have her summer cut. When my daughter brought her home her tail was gone! I immediately called Petsmart and spoke to LISA, she is the one who groomed Lilo. I wanted to know why her tail was gone. She started to apologize profusely and offer me a free grooming! She proceeded to put the grooming manager on who also apologized and stated that since they are not able to put her tail back on they would give me a free grooming! WHY ON EARTH WOULD I ACCEPT A FREE GROOMING WHEN I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT BACK IN THIER STORE! Lisa the chop happy groomer says to me, that it stated right there not to cut her tail! Please don't use them if you have any special instructions because they are not followed anyway!!!

• Mi
    midge87 Jul 29, 2010

You're ridiculous, placing two complaints on the same subject. You also change facts in each complaint.
    You're too sketchy to believe.

• S3
    s323ie Sep 15, 2010

I was just curious if anyone on here has visited the petsmart on timber dr in garner north carolina, i wanted to hear any complaints or compliments on the store specifically...thanks

• Kt
    ktr01 Oct 27, 2010

That is complete crap. I work at petsmart and the rule is in effect for a REASON. Like the other people who replied to this forum post, they are completely right. as an employee at petsmart, i stand here to tell you that it is to ENSURE safety of pets, and if you really insist on him getting his nails done, GO TO YOUR VET. they are professionals as well. They can deal 100% with any issues your dog has all together. Yes they should have gotten a manager, because for a thick-headed, ### customer like you it obviously takes like three people telling you that this is a rule and we cannot bend the rule for one without bending the rule for several others. You seriously felt like PetSmart did you bad service by doing/telling you what they did, then we don't need your money or your service anyway!... I've heard way more reliable and VALID arguments/complaints towards the PetSmart groomers than you have written here in this forum.

• Bu
    BuyersRLiars Dec 04, 2010

You should sue them under Americans with Disabilities Act!!! You have an injured dog dumbass... if they had screwed something up you would have been on here OMG OMG THEY CUT MY BABIES NAILS TOO SHORT SHE BLED I HATE PETSMART..Hell im takin my pup too petsmart tomorrow just because I hope idiots like you wont be there!

wally2frank Feb 20, 2011

I agree, , Never will use them again..I have had my pomeranians nails trimmed there for almost four years...I made an appointment to get him a full service groom one day while getting his nails trimmed..On the day of his appontment the nasty girl who was working asked for his rabbies papers..I told her that they had them already on file(my vet had faxed them before). She said no they didn't because my dog had never been there. I explained that he had come there every month for the last three years, and that he was just there the day befor. She continued to argue that I was wrong. I spoke with the manager about this and he said he was sorry..Thats it..No more story..No lets take care of it or nothing...

wally2frank Feb 20, 2011

All my information, I.E phone number, address Name was verified...Simply put, poor customer service. They didn't take the time to view their files. When someone tells you that you have never been there and you know that you were is very unprofessional to say the least.Like me saying that have never posted a response here..when in fact you just did. Now whos stupid?

wally2frank Feb 21, 2011

Why are you responding to this? it shows you have no idea of what your talking about.This is a complaint board. Not an outlet for your desire to critique everyone who wishes to enrich other peoples lives with information that they may use to make their own decisions.What you say has no useful benefit in this whole forum. Although your comments are somewhat entertaining, they are surly from someone who has little or no life outside the box, if you will. I'm sure that petsmart and all the other folks you so proudly defend value your defense, but it is of little use to us who have felt the sting of bad customer service. You seem to deny everything and make counter accusations. Again I stress that this was my opinion of Petsmart and maybe others have had a better shopping pleasure there.

• Oh
    OhWowReally Feb 21, 2011

I agree that the associate came off a rude and unprofessional. I also agree that the manager should have done more here. My only question I have is how long had it been since the paperwork was faxed in by your vet. It states that Petsmart needs "up-to-date" vet records. I ran into this issue about a year ago taking my dog up there. Yes, my dog was up-to-date on rabbies shots, but Petsmarts record was from three years prior and they needed an updated record. Could it be that they had you marked as out of date on the records since most rabbies shots need to be done every one to three years (depending on the vaccination)?

wally2frank Feb 21, 2011

Let me explain. I went to petsmart on a thursday to have my dogs nails trimmed as I do every month. I spoke with a girl about having him trimmed and bathed.She said I could come in the next day at 9 am. I came in at 850 the next morning(FRI). A couple of young girls were in the grooming department. One in particular had an attitude to start the day with. She said that I was early. I agreed that I was ten minutes early. After looking at the calander she said I would need to provide my vet records as that I had never been there before. I told her that I came in every month to have his nails trimmed and that they had bathed him before. She said that I had never been in there at any time to use their grooming services. I replied that I was in there the day before. She again stated that I was mistaken. I explained that although I'm 46 yrs old that I was not without good sense and knew where I was. She again said that I was mistaken. Also I might say My son worked for the same store and I bought all my pet supplies there. I hope this might clarify my complaint.

wally2frank Feb 21, 2011

My intentions is not to start an argument. Simply to state an expiereance.

• Ce
    Ced37Pitt Apr 05, 2011

I took my lhasa to Petsmart in Cranberry, and I have noticed that interns are awful at grooming for one, but I must say the lady manager who usually does his hair is amazing.

My puppy cut usually cost me $40. I was told that he couldn't get a puppy cut anymore, but since over the phone they said I could they alowed it, but it cost $65. Since the intern did it the job was awful! The manager was there but didn't look over her work! I was mad.

I also notice that when You make an apointment for 11, and bring in the dog a half hour early, you won't see your dog again till about 4pm! This is rediculous. The manager who does his hair will putz around and take random breaks and a long lunch break! Most do this. I also see dogs who come in after me get done right away! They also get more done than what I come in for! WTF!

In my opinion they should do all the jobs that are scedualed before lunch break bc we don't have all day to wait for our dogs! They need to be more organized with time! Five and a half hours is way to long for a hair cut, I can understand 2, but 5! Too much, plus the price is never acurate!

I always thought that since my apointment is at 11 that they should be able to work on my dog at that time if I bring him in a half hour early! I make that apointment so he can be worked on generaly around that time, not to be worked on hours later! I don't want to bring him in at 8 or 9 bc I can't!

I constantly come back hour after hour to check up on him. I don't see him get started till 3! He is done by 4ish! An hours work that was suppose to start at around 11, takes about an hour to do, but doesn't get started till 3! It just doesn't make sense! I get really angry at the people who get worked on before me who came in after me and have larger fluffy dogs! Its a crapshoot that is totally unorganized.

On a positive note I have not had any problems with injuries!

The vet next to it is pretty good, but they add rediculous charges and stuff they think my dog needs, but they are the vet so IDK.

Over all other than time money and sometimes crappy haircut, petsmart isn't too too bad!

• Ce
    Ced37Pitt Apr 05, 2011

Your complaining about complaining. It is rediculous really!

I get that some people here complain about crap, but me I am complaining about my experience with petsmart grooming! I wrote some good things, but really would you wait about 5 hours for your dog to get groomed! I brought him in a half hour early. His apointment was at 11. I didnt get him back till 4 maybe even 430. People who came in after me who have bigger fluffy dogs and got their entire body trimmed went before me! That isn't very fare. Also my dog who is usually groomed by the female manager was groomed by an intern. He came back hardly groomed at all. he looked like crap and the female manager didn't look over the intern's job.

How was this my fault. I shouldn't have to wate so long to get my dog back.. He is a small dog!

Although you make a good point at how other companies can bash other companies for no reason.

• Lb
    l.barello Apr 05, 2011

i know people who have worked at Petsmart... they all use drugs and don't give a sh=t about the animals... even laughed about treating them bad when owners complained... don't even use their services...

• Lb
    l.barello Apr 06, 2011

yes, the world is in a pretty ### state, Japan, middle east, all the countries in Africa, and the political crap of the U.S., , but, we live in the free world of the USA and the complaining does alliviate the pressures alot of us feel..therefore, alittle ### for the animals that "we" have domesicated is doing us fine, since the animals can't fend or talk for themselves... I hope u don't own a dog or a cat, throwing them out a window would only explain people like u, or whats wrong with society!!! Suck it up!!!

groom mgr Apr 06, 2011

Just a thought, having been a salon mgr at PetSmart. There are probably a number of groomers in the salon you went to. Each groomer is booked dogs. One groomer may have 3 dogs, another may have 6 dogs. Perhaps the groomer you ended up with was overbooked and being you feel she is a new groomer, may be much slower than the seasoned groomers. So you may see a dog that was booked for later than you getting started immediately because the groomer that is assigned the dog is not busy. However, the groomer your dog is assigned to may have had some very difficult dogs that took longer than expected, severely matted dogs that take alot of time, etc. When you are grooming live animals, alot of unpredictable things can and do happen. Owners need to book their appts when they know that they can be a little flexible. I recommend you speak to the grooming mgr that you like and explain the problem you had to her. Perhaps she needs to reduce the number of dogs the new groomer has on her plate. I caution you- going in every hour only intmidates the groomer and makes the job more diffcult. Back off on the pressure a little.

• Pi
    [email protected] Jul 02, 2011

I just want to express my great disappointment in the "service" that we received today at one of the PetSmart stores. We had our 2 dogs get the "defurminator" de-shedding treatment and get their teeth cleaned. First of all, they were very unfriendly, disorganized, and rushed when we checked in. All the information I had given them on the phone had to be repeated and they had a hard time finding our reservation. Once we finally dropped them off, it took 5 hours for the services to be completed! 5 hours!! What could possibly take that long? Once finally got the call that they were ready and we went in to pick them up, our bill was a lot more than we were quoted. Candice told us that for our Flat Coat Retreiver it would be $36 for the de-shedding treatment. In reality, we were charged $66 for her and $44 for our Mini-Dachshund. Both of those prices are higher than what she told us. And now that we have them at home, as we pet them, we are still pulling out clumps of shedded hair. I am now in doubt that they even got the treatment at all. I am very disappointed in the service, price, and people at this grooming facility and will never take my dogs back.

• Pu
    pupppyz1984 Sep 05, 2011

I go to petsmart for grooming. My groomer is very sweet and I like what she does. I had an appointment for grooming a couple of mondays ago. Sunday I get a knock on my door. An employee (not the groomer who did my dog before) stood at my door, telling me I needed to call petsmart because they couldn't get a hold of me in regards to my appointment. I felt completely violated. I recognized her as one of the twins that works there and my neighbors told me the other twin stayed in the car, watching the house. (they said she looked like she expected a bust!). I gave my address to petsmart because I thought they needed it in the computer as a reference, not to stalk me! I will not go back. I didn't call them, and I didn't show up to my appointment. I don't recommend NOT going to them! The twins will stalk you!!! I'm surprised they are still working there, considering they violate customer information!!!

• Ca
    caring groomer Sep 07, 2011

omg so iworked for petsmart for 2 months pls do not take your dog here, , , i walked out the treatment of the animals is terrible there is no camersa in groomin g so they know they can pretty much do what they wsant to the dogs i have seen first hand how bad these dum girls treat the dogs ..for instance a puppy came in for a nail trim and was scared you know it was his first time he shouldve been treated with love and kindess instead the manhandled him made him pee and poop all over the place he was actually screaming the owner walked in just as i was telling the girls to stop... this was uncalled for, , , , athere is al ot of of ohter instances just p[ls trust me and do not take your dogs here if you love your baby you will go to petco or find a private groomer omg pls i love dogs and all animals and could not stand for this kind of treatment i had to leave i hope everyone who reads this will do the same

• Jb
    jbfirebird Sep 07, 2011

no cameras in the grooming room. hell, who needs them when you have a large pane of glass that everyone walking by can see through.

groomer Sep 08, 2011

If you felt dogs were being mistreated, then you should have spoken to the store mgr or even higher than that. I am not making light of this situation but geez, I hope you are back in school and taking an English class. You are not texting- you are trying to communicate something on a message board. People that can't make sense have no credibiltiy.

• Li
    Lilosmom Nov 22, 2011

I didn't place two complaints idiot! And I'm definitely sketchy! You sure have a lot of time on your hands to post comments! Talking about a dumba**!

• Mi
    midge87 Nov 22, 2011

Yeah. You did. Thanks for admitting there's something wrong with yourself. Yeah... someone has to have some time to post comments, not a lot, but same as you since you posted this.
    Considering you waiting over a year to comment, you would be the "dumba**", sweetums.

groomer Jun 22, 2012

And PetCo will place mutiple cage dryers on your dog. And PetCo will walk away and leave your dog tethered on the table. And PetCo will not mind ripping at your dog's coat and causing him pain. Yes, PetCo is a wonderful place.
    Changing the breed of your dog would have caused the computer to automatically generate the breed price being $3 more. Your dog was put in the computer closest to the size and breed it resembled. Coat, weight, many things come into consideration here.
    At PetSmart, groomers that are not already accomplished at grooming are sent to a 4 week academy and have to complete 100 dogs under the salon managers watch. PetCo hardly trains at all. PetSmart- Strict safety rules, always enforced. Managers are required to sign off on every dog in the salon every hour. PetCo- nope. I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.
    So enjoy PetCo.