Having problems with Petland?

1800 221 5935 (Customer Service)
+1 740 775 2464 (Customer Service)
+1 866 499 4761 (Petland Credit Card)
250 Riverside Street
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

wont return item

My family purchased an aquarium setup with all the bells and whistles, our first tank, one month after using it, the filter pump failed, Petland would not replace the filter and told us to call the manufacturer, the manufacturer, Hagen, wants me to send the unit at my cost to them with a check for $5 for return shipping, what a crock of BS, Petland should stand by what they sell, they dont, this store located in Davie Florida it is independantly owned and operated, they do not even print a return policy on their receipts. We had no resolution to this problem, Petland sells junk, they do not stand by what they sell and you should shop for your pet needs at a reputable pet shop, Petland is a rip off. Beware/

something fishy going on

While visiting the store earlier this evening, a woman and man came into the store. The woman was very distraught, crying hysterically. The store manager seemed very nervous. They were taken to the back of the store where the woman continued to cry out in disbelief. Another employee was in the bathroom scrubbing the walls furiously while the owner/manager watched. Very suspicious activity. Left me with a bad feeling that something had happened to an animal and the woman had witnessed it.

• Da
    Dawn O'Neil Dec 01, 2012

I purchased a discipline collar for my dog from Petland in N.Huntingdon Pa yesterday. The sales clerk put this item on my dog and we left the store wearing it. My dog pulled on this collar which is designed to pinch her neck if she pulls. Instead of pinching the collar came apart allowing my dog to run free. THANK GOD my friend was able to grab her before she ran in front of a car. We took the collar back into the store. The sales clerk whom was so nice to during our first visit 5 minutes before was extremely rude when I asked for a refund. My dog or should I say my beloved fur baby friend could have died yesterday due to a faulty product Petland sold me and then I got attitude from them. My friend later that day designed a collar for me that I trust and is of way better quality. Thank you Al and may God bless you for what you did for Storm and I today.

sold sick hamster

I purchased a hamster for my son for his 11th birthday. His first pet! The hamster had a few patches of hair...

rabbit dies from their negligence

Am writing this post in the hopes that no other family will have to go through what ours recently has due to the negligence and disregard that Petland of Springfield shows towards their animals. We went in just for fun one day and ended up falling in love with a baby lop eared rabbit. Normally I would not buy from Petland because I know of their tainted history of being a supporter of breeding kennels for dogs. However I couldn't resist this adorable little creature. I asked what I would need for her and was told that a cage, water and any rabbit food would suffice, and some vitamins that the store sold me. I went to Pet Smart to buy her supplies. A lady stopped me to ask about my cute bunny and I told her I had just bought her at Petland. Sadly she told me she had just lost her rabbit she purchased from Petland after having it for three days. It just died one morning she said. I was shaken by this story but took my new little bunny home. My children and I loved her and became attached very quickly. I called Petland the next day. I was a little concerned because the rabbit, now named Annabelle was having diarrhea. I offered to bring her into the vet there and would have gladly paid for it. I was told it was simply the stress of being moved to a new environment and completely a normal situation. Annabelle continued to eat, drink, snuggle and play normally. She had no discharge from her nose or eyes so I took their word for it. Two days later I called and said she still had the diarrhea and that I was becoming concerned. I asked specifically if there was any way the feed I bought her at PetSmart could be causing the diarrhea. I was again assured as long as I was giving her thevitamins I was sold there was absolutely no need for her to see a vet. Annabelle died in her cage hours later. I called the store and they offered to exchange her out for a live rabbit, as if she was a garment that had been purchased and was not quite the right size. Even though we had Annabelle for only three days she could not be replaced so easily for us. Petland returned the money for the rabbit in exchange for her corpse. I then began trying to investigate what caused Annabelle's death. I called a rabbit breeder and a veterinarian who both informed me it was the sudden change of feed on her sensitive system that killed Annabelle. It was devastating to learn that this could have been prevented. I trusted that anyone who sold an animal would have some knowledge of how to care for it or at least be able to say, "I don't know. Call someone who does." I called the store manager and told him of my findings to which he said he would bring it up to his employees at the next training. I wonder how many innocent Annabelles will suffer and die unnecessarily before he does or how many children will cry themselves to sleep because their new friend passed away in their presence. I suppose it doesn't matter to Petland as long as they continue to make their next buck and hopefully some of the buyers won't bother to get or save the warranties to their animals. Now I know why my gut instinct told me not to purchase ANYTHING from these people. I hope someone runs them out of business soon. And my hope is if you are looking for a little friend in the form of fish, bunny, dog, or any other animal you will be wiser than I was and buy or adopt elsewhere. Please do not support this unethical and cruel business. If you need any other information feel free to google other complaints of misconduct and horrendous behavior this business has committed against animals. I only wish I had to begin with.

• Xo
    xohikari Jan 24, 2013

My bunny died the exact same way and it was also from petland .. RIP :(

horrible customer service

(This is a letter that I actually sent to Petland following my visit. After reading several other complaint...

honoring and offer

I am not very happy with the assistance that I did not receive from the sales agents(MANAGERS) at the...

poor customer service

I had a very unpleasant experience at Petland about a year ago. I went in and saw a dog I wanted to buy. I...

animal health

I worked at a petland store for 2 years and had nothing but problems with most of the management and the kennel room manager. I first decided to start working at Petland because I absolutly love animals but after working there I have a Hard time stomaching going into petland stores. I first started out as a cashier at the store and quickly became a kennel technition, while working in the kennel room of the Petland I had to deal with and have witnessed some disturbing things. First and foremost the managers attatude toward the animals in the store.
- dead animals (bunnies, birds, hamsters ect) get put in a big freezer in the kennel room
-sick animals like birds are not even thought as good enough to get vet treatment they get stuck in a cage in the kennel room. When i tryed to help the bird by trying to get it to drink water with an eye dropper i got yelled at by management because i was supposed to be mopping the kennel room floor not looking after a bird that they said was going to die anyway
- ive had the managers bring sick animals into the kennel room and toss them onto the counter like they were nothing but garbage and tell me to stick them in a cage because customers were complaining.

The dogs and cats at petland stores are bought from the "breeders" without even a check at the facility were the dogs/cats were born (some of them are even thin farm puppys and kittens with major problems) its all for the profit at the store. Petlands mission statements supposed to be:
"Our petcounsilers are dedicated to matching the right pet with the right costomer and meeting the needs of both, to our costomers who already own pets we are dedicated to inhancing there knowledge and enjoyment of the human-animal bond."

The people at the petland stores do not care weather its the right pet for you they care about the bonus they get when they sell a dog for $1800, they get an extra $50-$100 on there paycheck when they sell an animal.

OK say you see an adorable puppy at the petland store thats priced at $1280.00
the puppy was bought from the breeder for $450, petland only payed $80 to get it fixed and $30 for its shots then $80 to get it microchipped that equils $640

They then turn around and tell you that they payed $200 for the spay or nuter and $80 for the shots and at least $100 for the microchip then they times that total by 1.5% then add another $35 for warrenty and theres the price of the puppy
450+200+80+100= 830x 1.5% =1245+35 =1280.00

• Pe
    Petland treatment Jan 16, 2011

I totally agree with this employee's attitude toward Petland and the motto is indeed Petland's...I was hired as a Pet Counsellor for Petland at their main branch Chillicothe Ohio...(this is the location of the corporate office) the situation was that when hired our total number was 10 employees we were told upon training our dress-code of khaki slacks their dress shirt (provided) and BROWN SHOES. I was transferred around from working as a Pet Conselor, aisles even cashier. I applied for the job because I to am a animal lover and indeed the situation about the kennel and the cost for purchasing an animal is that you are playing a fortune...if you want a new member for your family look into dog rescue groups (for example my family purchased a schnauzer from Schnauzer Rescue Cincinnati ...these dogs are in need of good homes and you only have to pay $250 and this includes nutering or spaying. Now this was PETLAND'S reason for letting me go for DRESS-CODE voilation (I was given NO verbal or written warning) I was called into the management office and fired because I was not wearing BROWN shoes...I went out and purchased a pair of beige ( a color of BROWN) New Balance shoes???????????? I even had difficulty with them fighting me on getting unemployment but I DID finally win.

&&&&&& DO NOT BUY A PET FROM OR WORK FOR THIS COMPANY &&&&&&&&

• Xd
    XD its me Mar 06, 2011

I worked at the petland in grande prairie alberta and yes i know exactly what you mean, the canadian stores try to make costomers think that its only the american stores that get animals from puppy mills but that is not the case at all, in the 2 years that i worked in the petland store there where a number of puppys that died from being perchased from puppy mills, they were either to weak, skinny or just overal sick to last over a week, there is still only one manager at that store that cares about the wellbeing of the animals, the head manager of that store is an absolute joke and she is the one that came in with a cockateel and tossed it on the counter like it was nothing, i witnessed it. the bird ended up dying because of her ignorance and did she care NO! she just told me and the kennel tech to stick the bird in the freezer. The employees there and management dont know anything about the well being of animals. ive heard the management tell a people that they dont even know how to tell if a bunny is a male or a female when it really isnt difficult to check, they are either just to lazy or stupid to realize it themselves.

deceived and lied

Do not buy pets from pet land. They buy from puppy mills even if they say they don't. Do your research first. I wish I did. I asked for the address and breeder information which they never would provide me. My family pet was very very ill and only 12 weeks old. Oh yeah, I can ask for my money back but that's not what this is about. It's about this poor sick and suffering puppy. Buy from the humane society. They make sure all animals are taken care of physically and mentally. How can the owners, employees and ececutives sleep at night? Oh yeah, they make good money while these dogs cats are suffering living on top of each other with urine and crap all over thier bodies. The wimpers of pain hunger and fear!!! All for a buck!!! I have a heart of gold but I honestly hope all people responsible for the suffering of these animals live a long painful sick life.

• Em
    EmmeLu May 21, 2010

Irish, I cannot believe your comment. Puppy Mills are awful places-check it out! Anatasia stated that getting her money back was NOT what her post was about. Puppy Mills produce inbred puppies, passing on bad genes of dogs who nover should be bred in the first place. The females are forced to produce litter after litter with no time to recover and poor diets besides. (We had a rescued breeding Bichon from a puppy mill that was deformed, toothless, terrified of people (forget grooming, she wouldn't even allow petting), and afraid of grass! She'd never seen it before. She developed breast cancer and we paid for the surgery hoping she would have a few 'good years'. Turned out it was only a couple months.) I now have two little fur babies one rescued as a pup, the other at 11 months. There are good breeders where you can buy a particular breed, but do your research first!
    I agree with Anatasia, and give a shelter dog a good home. There are also tons of rescue sites on the internet. Those pet store pups are adorable, but often not healthy. And to buy them encourages puppy mills to produce more and more. And the ones that aren't purchased? You don't want to know how they are disposed of.

• Em
    EmmeLu Jul 09, 2010

Thanks, wyung04

John Borden Feb 09, 2011

HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU PEOPLE HEARD OF PUPPY MILLS AND TO STAY AWAY.ITS ###S LIKE YOU WHO ARE KEEPING THESE MONEY HUNGRY ###S IN BUSINESS

sick puppy

Simon's story, another heartbreaking story about my puppy that was purchased at the Westland MI Petland in September 2009. Simon is a 5 lb Torkie, Toy Fox Terrier and Yorkie mix.

After losing my collie Rascal to cancer in July of 2009, I desperately wanted another canine companion. I made at least a dozen attempts to locate the right companion at my local Humane Society but, had no luck finding the right match. On my way home from the Humane Society, I passed by the Westland Petland and saw a puppy for sale sign out front and my temptations got the best of me. I stopped in and the minute I saw little Simon, it was love at first sight and my thoughts went into rescue mode. I had to get him out of that small cage, away from the kids pounding on the glass and the other chaos going on in the store.

I inquired with the young sales girl about Simon and that's where the story really begins. I thought I asked all the right questions about his breeding and his health. I was not aware that Petland had so many pending issues with selling sick puppies. I was told that Simon was a healthy 2.5 lb Torkie puppy that had been regularly checked by the stores preferred vet. I was informed that Simon had an issue called Luxating Patella or in common terms a trick knee, I was not familiar with the issue so I inquired and was told Simon would grow out of this issue. I was also told that it was common in small dogs, that it was not serious and would not require medical attention.

Well months later his so called knee issue was not getting better. Simon has now been diagnosed by both my vet and the stores vet that he has a very serious issue called Legg Perthes. The issue was not with his knee, it is a congenital hip issue that causes a dog to go lame and can only be corrected with costly surgery. Simon's back right leg is completely lame and it's causing strain on his back left leg. Simon is being robbed of his wonderful puppy hood, he can't run and play like a young puppy should because of the pain and discomfort in his hip.

Petland is well aware of the issue and I have asked their assistance in helping me with the expected $2100.00 surgery fee. I have asked to speak with the store owners in person but, so far I have only had personal contact with the store manager. The owners did send me a few letters expressing their concerns but, so far have only put me in contact with their vet to do the surgery at a reduced fee. This is the same vet that miss-diagnosed Simon in the first place.

On 4/28/10, I inquired about the breeder and was told by the manager that they knew who the breeder was and would follow up with me with the info. When I want back to the store on 5/10 to pick up my copies of Simons X-rays and asked again for the breeder info the store manager told me they did not have the info like I was first told. I went home and called the store back, I felt I was being lied to and the manager admitted the owners put her up to it. They intentionally had her lie because they did not want to release the breeder info.

At this point I am beyond upset, I feel the store is hiding the fact that the are dealing with bad breeders and puppy mills. I just want justice for Simon, I need to come up with the money for his surgery and I feel Petland and their vendors should be responsible for covering the costs. I also want to make sure the breeder is held accountable for selling sick puppies. I don't want another one of Petland's customers or puppies to go through this heartache and pain

• Vl
    vlogan Dec 07, 2008

On November 30, 2008 Petland sold me a sick puppy. Her first free pet visit cost me $68! She has intestinal parasites. We had to take her back to the vet yesterday because she has severe yeast infections in both her ears and a "foreign body" growing on her spine -- another $113. We went back to Petland in hopes of speaking to the manager and working something out. When I said the words "sick puppy" in their crowded store, my daughter and I and three grandchildren were immediately surrounded by five store employees, the vet bills were forced from my daughter's hand by a six-foot male employee and we were pushed out of the store while a female employee called my daughter a ### because she was trying to explain our situation. The police were called and the male employee who took our vet bills tried to tell the police that my daughter assaulted him! They viewed the store video and of course no assault was seen. The female employee continued to scream at my daughter calling her a ### and insisting that she be arrested, while my grandchildren witnessed this. They are completely traumatized by the entire thing. My daughter and I had to sign trespass citations promising not to return to Petland under threat of arrest. How sad! SHAME on Petland for this nasty behavior! I am tenacious and intend to pursue this with vigor! Thanks for listening.

• SouthernBelle Dec 15, 2008

This is exactly why you do NOT buy a puppy from a Pet Store! I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this but I hope you learned a valuable lesson. God bless you and your familY!

• Un
    Unhap P. Puppiebyer Feb 07, 2009

I too bought a Fox Terrier from this chain. Of course, at Petland, to keep the "14 day money back guarantee" warranty, I must purchase the food (which makes sense) plus over $80 in vitamins. Vitamins? If I don't, that means if the dog checks out not to be what I wanted, I can't return him?
    Of course, they got me to sign the contract for the dog @ $250 and collect the money first, THEN tell me if I don't buy vitamins, I must waive my Lemon Law rights. WHAT A SCAM! I demanded money back immediately before signing everything, but the lady laughed and told me it was too late, I must buy the vitamins to do that! Also, the "14 day money back guarantee" is at their discretion! Now I definitely didn't want the dog!

All in all, watch out for this chain, they are scheming to sell you some sick, deformed, or runt of the litter puppies. Oh, by the way, the Fox Terrier I received has deformation in the legs (not visible until I got home), fused toes, and a muscular disorder in his legs. Not too visible in a tired puppy at the store when you play with him. It was a disaster that somehow I could forsee, but I wanted the dog! I changed my mind. Oh, and the pedigree that comes with the dog to "prove" he's the real deal Fox Terrier; yeah, it's nonsense. The dog I bought is most likely an Airedale Terrier mix, and the breeder on the pedigree and contracts doesn't exist! Isn't this illegal or fradulent? You'd know it was, but try explaining this to a lawyer for the matter of only $250... all of the sudden, the fees just talking to the lawyer are double the price of the dog!

• Be
    Ben Mar 18, 2010

I purchased a Golden Retriever puppy from Petland 10 months ago. I just want to say she was sick with in days of getting her. She ended up with Kennel cough which I thought the puppies were vaccinated for this. I immediately took her to the vet for this. She was put on medication, but her cough was so bad I filled the bathroom up with steam to try to relieve the cough!! Horrible!! Then she proceeded to get sick off and on. She was anemic, then her lymph nodes swelled up, they thought she had lymphoma. I was an emotional wreck with this puppy!! She is now 10 months and seems to be healthy, FINALLY!! I wouldn't buy from petland again. Just be warned you may be in for some stiff vet bills!!

maria luisa jaime Apr 11, 2010

I bought a sick puppy which is coughing all the time. Can you tell me how can I get my money
    back?

• Mu
    murray.A Jun 14, 2010

If only more people would realize that these puppies are from puppy mills. They have been kept in terrible conditions and have been bred from mothers who have been forced to produce litter after litter. Hence the health issues relating from this. The retailers are not going to want you to know the breeders or where they come from. The sad fact is, that these breeders are normally from out of State where the laws are frequently non-existent for the health and care of these animals. Google and search pet shop breeders/suppliers, then search individual (so called) breeders. I don't think you will be happy with what you find!

sick puppy and false documents

I paid a large amount of money for my furbaby because they promised happy and healthy. One week after...

GREEDY PET LAND

Pet Land of Orlando in Semoran is one of the worst pet shops. I decided to get a pug for my me and my niece since I have one in Puerto Rico and I love PUGS. I saw him at 9:00 pm at night and fell in love with him. I even named him Nicolas. Unfortunately my niece did not feel the same way. As soon as I got him home she started sneezing and coughing and it wasnt long until she had a full blown asthma attack. She is 6 so we did not know she was allergic to animals. We even had to take her to the nearest ambulatory care clinic since it got so bad. I returned it the next day at 11:00am . Much less than 24 hours and explained the events. The owner was not only unreasonable but condescending as well. Apparently it will cost me $400 dollars of "administration fees" to return the dog. $400 dollars that is excessive and unreasonable. I would understand $200 dollars which was what I had read that other Pet land stores required for vet fees. This too is excessive but I would understand. But $400. The dog itself cost me $750. I had to return it given the circumstances and I did not know anybody in Orlando who could offer it a good home. The owner showed my signiture in which this was supposedly explained in small print. As if you are reading all the documents you are signing when you have the cutest dog in front of you!!!The owner and therefore the company are greedy and opportunistic people who do not, at all have the best intentions for the consumer or the pet.
Trust me!! do not buy a pet here!!!

• Mi
    midge87 Aug 01, 2010

So you like to just sign your name to anything as long as someone has something cute/pretty/shiny in front of you?
    You could have signed something that says they can take the dog back whenever they want, they get to keep the money, and make you pay thousands more.
    You are a huge idiot for signing something without reading it.
    Look, I have some shiny tin foil, I also have a picture of a cute little puppy, now sign your life savings, house, car, and first born over. Thank you!

fraud

I think this is a good place but with somehow a bad employees. They are nice and would be accomodating — too...

beware!!!

I want a papillon. I checked out this store and although they said it was a papillon I think it was mixed...

stay away

This was the most awful experience I have ever had! I bought a puppy from the Robinson Town Center store one evening, the store was basically run by a bunch of kids. I took my puppy to the vet a few days later to find out he was under fed and had a parasite! I called and spoke to the store owner who by the way was the most rude, unprofessional person I have ever dealt with. I called to tell him my new puppy was sick, he began screaming at me and told me it wasn't his problem! I filed a complaint with the better business bureau. I would Never recommend buying an animal at all (I spent 1300.00 on him) and would prefer adopting, however I feel like I saved this puppy from being in a very small glass box all day and night and being severely underfed. My puppy is much better now after a lot of medicine and love! I refuse to return to another petland.

sick puppy!!

beware

We purchased a puppy from Petland Columbus, Georgia almost three years ago and have sorely regretted that rash decision. We paid an exorbitant price for our puppy, almost three times what a local breeder wanted, but we felt it was worth the extra money because Petland had such a great health guarantee and they assured us we were getting a quality puppy, from premium breeding stock.

About two years later we started to realize what bad shape our little dog was in. Our vet confirmed he had horrible joint and back problems, all genetic issues. "This is the result of bad breeding, " he said. "What were his parents like?" We had to admit we had no idea. But we loved our little dog to pieces so we were willing to do whatever we could to get him the extremely expensive surgeries that our vet said he desperately needed.

We went back to Petland and explained the situation. They were very accommodating at first, saying how sorry they were and how they wanted to help us and would absolutely pay for the surgery... on one condition. We had to take the dog to their vet and have her confirm he really did need the surgeries. Imagine our astonishment when we reached the vet’s office, she took a quick look at him and said, "No. He looks like he's managing just fine. He can live a very full and happy life without surgery." He died two months later from complications of his back problems. He was playing in our front yard one day and fell, compressing his spinal cord and paralyzing him. He was in severe pain and would likely never walk again. We had no choice but to have him put down. My kids were devastated.

Here's what I learned the hard way about Petland. They buy their puppies from a farm that breeds for quantity instead of quality. Meaning, they breed females who have genetic problems and aren't fit to have puppies. Then Petland marks them up 300% and sells them to the public with a "Health Guarantee", but the fine print on that guarantee states that their vet must be consulted if any health problems arise. Their vet spent five minutes with our dog and declared him fit when our personal vet clearly told me if was in danger and required surgery right away. This is the experience of a heartbroken pet owner. I won't tell you to not buy your dog from Petland, but I do hope you read my story and make your own decision.

• Ay
    aylaaaa Aug 04, 2010

that is so sad, I'm sorry for your loss. but yeah, Ive always heard dont buy a puppy or kitten from a pet store cause they usually come from a mill and are sick or dying... it's always better to adopt I adopted my cat from my local shelter and shes beautiful and such a sweetheart... she may not be purebread but shes a beautiful long haired tuxedo... shelters usually have purebread animals as well if you really like purebreads but remember adopt dont buy. Hope i've helped :)

• Kr
    KRis10123456 Nov 29, 2012

I bought a dog from petland 5 years ago. She is very small for her breed, I think she was the runt, and has had many health problems. When I took her to her first vet appointment she had gardia, she has gastrointestinal problems and has to take medication daily, and she now has an issues with both of her knees of her hind legs. The vet said that it is genetically passed to offspring it is severe and she needs surgery in the very near future. The surgery is going to cost me $2, 500. I love my dog to pieces and will definitly get her the surgery she needs, but I will never buy a dog or anything for that matter from petland.

ferret abuse

My sister and I went into the Petland store to look at the ferrets, as we had bought a ferret there before...

horrible pets

• Mu
    murray.A Jun 14, 2010

Unfortunately you found out the truth the hard way. Yes, all these puppies are from puppy mills and are bred for profit not quality. If only the laws that regulate these establishments were enforced properly, these poor animals would not have to endure such sad and short lives. Pet stores should be banned from selling live animals. (Britain banned them in the 60's). If consumers are truly concerned about the welfare of animals in the current retail system, they should demand either a decrease in the sale of pets at retail stores, or boycott stores that exhibit unscrupulous practices. If more people campaigned their local congress or state representative, perhaps the laws could be changed.

screwover

We bought a 1 month 29 day German Shepherd from the Springfield, MO Petland on 23- July-09 we brought him home. We put him in his kennel for the night after we feed and watered him and he went out and went potty. The next day we went out for a couple of walks and it was like right after our walks he had to take a nap and well we thought ok normal alot of exercise for puppy so he just needs a quick nap. He slept alot that day. That night my girlfriend and I took the puppy for a walk and we didn't get but 20 yards from our house and he started gasping and backing up for air. My girlfriend then picked him up and was holding him his eys started rolling back into his head and his tongue started turning color and becoming very limp. Blood then started coming out of his nose and mouth and it was dark red in color. So it was kinda dried. If it was current blood it would have been bright red. After that he had no pulse and was not breathing. We then called Petland and they told us we needed to bring him in for a autopsy. We brought him back on Saturday morning and the vet concluded that he had Acute Pneumonia. We were told that we could get our money back that day by the General Manager Rob and now we received a letter stating that we are not getting our money back that we can get another puppy. We do not want another puppy from them.

• Pu
    puppal Aug 19, 2009

STOP BUYING DOGS FROM PET STORES!!!

I'm sorry about what happened to your puppy, but pet stores buy dogs from puppy mills and many of them are sick, so this is really about what you can expect.

Go to a shelter. Find a reputable breeder. Just stay away from the pet store unless you're buying your dog a leash.

• Re
    Rebecca432 Aug 20, 2009

Dogs should never be bought from pet stores. They get their dogs from puppy mills where they are sick and mistreated. Please rescue a dog from a local animal control or rescue group. Go to www.petfinder.com and put in the type of dog you're looking for, along with your zip code. There are so many great shelter dogs that need homes!

chiefjim Feb 14, 2010

I understand the concerns with stores like Petland. However, I think their popularity has increased because of the recent trends with dealing with Humane Societies. When I was growing up, you could go to the Humane Society and get a dog, about as easily as walking through the door and wanting to give a dog a good home. Now, you have to fill out an application, they have to know how much money you make, where the pet will stay, how much time you will spend with the pet, and basically everything one might need to know if one were adopting a child. Then, you have a fifty/fifty chance of being turned down anyway. So, while we despise stores like Petland, how about if we get back to letting people who want a dog, get a dog without all the hoop jumping.

• Da
    DaveyboyTX Apr 22, 2010

Puppal ...
    "STOP BUYING DOGS FROM PET STORES" ...
    "pet stores buy dogs from puppy mills " ...

With all due respect ... where do you get your information? ALthough you may actually know where your local store gets their animals, how in the world do you know anything about other stores not near you?

Did you know there is a Petland that has done nothing but adopt-a-pet for the last 18 years? Over 10, 000 unwanted animals have been adopted out through that one location. But yet, no one ever reports about people who fight the good fight eh?

Instead, the general public believes all the tainted propoganda put out by organizations who just want to get your $$$$

All I an asking is that you and anyone else who may read this please CHECK THINGS OUT FOR YOURSELF. If your local pet store is a bad apple, then by all means get 'em shut down. But please stop condemming people you don't even know.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices