Having problems with Petco?

Petco, 10850 Via Frontera
San Diego, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Petco.

Complaints & Reviews

Petco in Brookfield, CT — killed all my fish!!!

We went to our local petco and bought a pleko fish to add to our 2 year old aquarium with 3 hardy 3"goldfish...

Petcoanimal cruelty

Do not take your pet here if you love your pet! I recently took my 4yr old boxer to the rapid city, sd petco (Boycott please!!) for a routine grooming, just a basic bath and nails. When I returned to get my dog, I watched in horror as the "well trained" employee began to put my dogs spike collar over his head by sliding it onto his head (Not simply unclasping it!) I banged on the window and asked him what he was doing, and he told me he took it off the same way!!! R u serious u work at a pet store? A spike collar is meant to tighten as it moves up a dogs neck toward their ears and this guy just forced it off my dogs head? If u work at a pet store and cant work a pet accessory maybe u should ask someone 4 help! 2 days later I noticed my dog acting weird and took him 2 the vet, he has a swollen ear canal and is in noticeable pain, still 2 weeks later, when I address petco they give me a huge run around, when I look at my receipt they also overcharged me (Imagine that) sold me 12 cans of food more than I bought. Petco doesnt want to pay the $200 in vet bills I got from taking my dog there for a $35 bath, (Where he didnt even come clean) they seem to enjoy spending money on lawsuits instead. Go google petco lawsuits before you shop there again. Boycott petco!

• Mo
      monsoonrain Apr 10, 2011

Your an idiot for having a spiked collar on your dog anyways. Even using it daily can be very damaging on the neck/spine of a dog ESPECIALLY a boxer who are prone to all kind of health issues. Spike collars are a lazy mans cure to a untrained dog.

• Sh
      Shopgirlnguyen Sep 02, 2014

My son and I dropped by the Petco off of Pleasant Hill road, Duluth for turtle food and supplies. We came by a tank that contained about 9 turtles. About everyone of the turtles had injuries to the neck, more likely from fighting. There were turtles that was still bleeding and some that was so badly injured and the bit was so deep that you can see flesh.
      We asked the manager to please separate the turtles from further injuries from fights and allow them time to heal. He insured me that he will take care of it, but I guess the question is, why have he not done this earlier? And will he really do something about it? Or is he just trying to brush me off.
      It's very disturbing to see the cruelty on these turtles and the entire store seems to not even care about it. It's scary to think what other animals are being mistreated in this place that we don't know about.

Petcorude groomers and they do horrible work

I took my dog to Petco today to get groomed and shaved. The groomer there was Pscyho. She said it would take 2 hours and it took 5. After two hours when I called her on the phone she yelled at me and said she's busy. When I went to pick her up she was nasty in front of customers and would not even let me look at my dog. They did not shave her pads, they nicked her several times and they are just plain RUDE and there was no manager there to see what happened but another worker who claimed he was an assistant manager saw it all and never even apologized. I'll go to another groomer next time. If you must go to a pet store groomer your better off at PESTMART

Petco — rude store managers and disgusting conditions for animals

Well, I can see that Im not the only one in Mtn. Home who is fed up with our local Petco store and their...

Petco — poor delivery practice

Had ordered a hamster habitat from Petco. Fedex had it on 12/16/2017. For the next 3 days they noted they...

Mountain City

Petco — worse dog grooming ever

Husband dropped off our small Pom, Ting and they said how do you want him trimmed and he said just short and...

Petcocustomer service

Recently, my mother went into this Petco to get me a set of grooming clippers for my birthday. She went over to the case and called over an employee. It took her several minutes of wondering around to find someone to help her. When she finally found someone, it was a groomer who helped her find a store associate. When she got the male employee over to the case, she started to ask him about which clippers to buy for me. She said he was very pleasant and knowledgeable. When she decided to buy a set, he had to find someone with the key. After waiting 20 minutes, he returned to say that the manager had gone home and that they did not have the key to open the case. He said that she would have to come back another time. She planned on giving it to me that night, so she settled for a gift card. She told the employee that she wanted to get a gift card for the amount of the clippers set that she wanted to get. He told her how much the particular set was and she got the gift card. She shared this story with me that night because it upset her and she thought it was inconvenient that she couldn’t get the item she wanted and had to leave with something else.
      This is a continuation of a previous complaint. After my mother told us the story of how she ended up with a gift card instead, I was very hesitant to go to back to the store. My boyfriend and I went just a few nights later with a description of the clippers set that my mother got the gift card for. (Reminder: the employee got the gift card amount for how much the exact clipper set was) We walked over to the closed and locked case with the grooming clippers in it. There were only three boxes in there, but one matched the brand and description and was sitting under the price tag that matched what we were told. We walked around for several minutes trying to find a store associate to open the case but we could not find one. I had to walk to the front and wait in line to talk to the cashier to get him to come help us. Finally he came over and showed him which item I wanted. He went and got the keys pretty quickly and got the item for us. I am not sure of his name but he was blonde and very helpful and very nice. He took us to the register and rang up the set of clippers which my mother was told by the employee were around 78.00. (the amount she got the gift card for) The same clippers rang up for around 160.00. We explained the situation and so he agreed that it didn't sound right. He called over Jodi. She came over and confirmed that it was rung up as the correct price. At this point we started to get a bit annoyed at all the trouble we went through and it only got worse.

This is yet another continuation to a previous complaint. After we were told that it was the correct price, we explained the situation and nicely expressed how upsetting this was that we have put a lot of effort into just getting a single item. She understood and went to find the clipper set that matched the price we were given. When she came back she stated that they only had the around 160.00 ones or the around 20.00 ones. At this point my boyfriend was very aggravated with the whole situation and explained that we don’t want to settle for a cheaper one and that it was very irresponsible for the store to have a locked case that only employees can get into with products placed under the wrong price signs. At this point she said with an attitude "What do you want me to do? I can't discount a 160.00 item to 78.00" My boyfriend in reply said, "We should get something since it’s not our fault that your employees marked this the wrong price and told her mother the wrong price" he then asked to see a manager. Her response was "We don't have a store manager, you'll have to call corporate." At this point her attitude really got to me, who was quite this whole time. Finally I burst out, "Fine! We'll come back with my mom to return the card and we will go to Petsmart from now on!" as one last word, my boyfriend asked them to make sure nothing was charged to the gift card because it had been swiped. After all this, I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt and tried using the gift card online. Low and behold there was no money on it! When my mother returned to the store, they gave her a hard time about returning the gift card saying that it showed it had already been used.

Petco — returns

I recently purchased an item at Petco In middletown new york. When i returned home the item did not fit my...

Petco — grooming

Never again will I recommed petco to anyone. We have always had our dog grommed at petco (10 yrs plus). I...

Petco — injured dog

Please do not entrust the care of your pet to Petco grooming! I had taken my Papillon named Winnie to Petco...

Petco — store 1520

I have been an employee of Petco in Mountain Home, AR since they opened in March 2009. Everything about thi...

Petco — fired for false allegations

I am a former Petco employee. I am an animal lover and I was the only person that DID care about the animal...

Petco / Groominggrooming

10/10/10
        Today my boyfriend and I dropped off our 6month old Coton De Tulear to be groomed. It is the second time he has been to this store for a grooming. When we dropped him off the groomer told us we did not need to leave the picture of the cut we wanted, since she had a good idea. She insisted we take it with us. Since our first cut there went well we left. We dropped our puppy off at 12 and were told to pick him up at 4. When I walked through the door at 4pm our puppy was just getting onto the grooming table and was BEING SHAVED!!! This is completly not what we asked for. I asked the sales clerk if she could ask the groomer why he was being shaved. When she went to ask the groomer, the groomer seemed agitated. I was told he would be done in a half hour. I called my boyfriend to meet me at the Petco.When he got there our dog was still not half way done. We were told it would be another half hour ( an hour extra in total).
        When we went to pick our puppy up he had the hair style of another breed completly, a poodle. When asked why he was cut this way the sales clerk made us wait fifteen minutes till the groomer was off the phone, then she simply danced around the questions we had. When we showed her the picture again she tride to tell us the cut she gave him was an inch long, as in the photo, when it really is less then half an inch. We were not offered an apology or any form of compensation. We will not be shopping at, or taking our puppy to get groomed at Hudson, MA's Petco on Washington street again, and I strongly advice that anyone who has a dog with hair, rare breed dog, or who cares about having the services they asked for done correctly and with a smile, please consider shopping/grooming elswhere.

groom mgr Oct 11, 2010

It's hair- it will grow back.

• Sm
            smoose Nov 04, 2010

I have a 5 month old maltese puppy who I am about to take for his first grooming. I am so afraid of him having a bad cut, and I was going to schedule him an appointment with Petco in Hudson until I saw this complaint. Now I am not so sure, the Maltese is similar and this review is way too recent for comfort! Do you know where you plan to take your Coton De Tulear next time?

Petcoat petco, animals do not come first

I have called numerous people in the corporate offices, pet hotline, bbb, peta, even emailed 2 news channels. And petco is still not doing anything about it. I am feeling helpless. These snakes (The ball pythons) are covered in mites and no one has done anything about it. I quit because my gm would not let me clean the reptile section, he said I had to shock dog toys or dog food instead of cleaning the snakes which I offered to do. When I told him well what about at petco animals always come first, and then he cut me off in mid sentence and said well if you dont like our policy you can leave, so I quit right then and there. I never quit a job before. I am not going to sit back while these poor snakes are dying. They are not feed properly either. Their cages never have been cleaned. The entire reptile section is infested with mites and no one cares but me. Maybe because a lot of people hate snakes, but they are beautiful creatures that are misunderstood. Me being a huge snake lover, this makes me insanely mad. I am going to keep emailing and calling everyone I can about this. Please help them. Like I said. I will not stop until this is fixed.

And, when I recently went in to get my last check, the gm told me I over reacted, and that no snakes had mites, they were"little black dots".. Yeah, little black dots. Hes obviously covering his own # because other employees told me he knows I reported him. The store also smells horrible because no one wants to clean the ferret cage.

Also, other employees told me they never cleaned the snakes, so the gm lied to me. I hate petco. They should not be allowed to sell animals. They sell animals knowing those animals are sick. This has to stop. A vet doesnt even come in there to check on the animals. They dont even call the vet when an animal is sick. The back room, the "wellness" room, is fully stocked with sick neglected animals. All they care about is dog food, since dog food is 50% of their sales. Screw petco. Animals do not come first.

• En
              englishangel0509 Dec 11, 2010

Petco sucks and it isnt just one store its every single one of them!! They need to be closed down permantly!!!

Petco — grooming nightmare

I took my 4 pound Yorkshire terrier to Petco to be groomed. When we picked him up the groomer said there wa...

Petcobad customer service and rude employees

I went into the E. Virginia Beach, VA to purchase some outfits for my 3 dogs. I found a clearance rack marked 75% off. The sign was balanced between the center of the 4 way rack and you were unable to read any writing below the 75% due to the fact it was covered. There weren't very many outfits on it but found 3. I also found other things in the store. I went to the checkout and they had a dog trainer ringing the register which was new on it. One outfit ring the correct price and the other 2 did not. She stated oh these are 75% off too but I am not sure how to fix it, let me ask someone. Another employee came and told her she would have to have the manager to do it. At this point, I was waiting 10 minutes. The manager comes to the register and the cashier informed her of the problem. She never even looks at me and states oh those aren't listed on the sign and walks away in the direction of the rack. The cashier says oh she is going to check on it. She passes the rack without stopping and heads to the back of the store. I and the cashier stood there for 5 minutes. The cashier states she doesn't know what happens and calls the manager back. As the manager approaches she said "What is the problem?" with all I can say is a snotty voice and a bob of the head. The cashier says what did you find out. "About WHAT" store manager says. "The outfits?" cashier responds. "I SAID they aren't listed on the sign!!" The cashier starts to point at the rack "But they are all on that rack." " I said they aren't LISTED!!" The manager finally turns to me and said "DO YOU WANT THESE OR NOT, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?" I have to say I fell back on my heals and with wide shocked eyes said "Yes, but I would like them for the 75% off, you can't see what is written on the sign. It's covered." The manager with a bob of the head and a flip of her voice "I am NOT doing it" At this point, I believe I was done. I asked her for her for the manager she said she was the manager. I asked her for her district manager's information. She informed me that they don't give out the district manager's name or number and does not give out the corporate headquarters number. After asking her 5x she finally said they had a customer care line I could make a complaint on. I asked for it. She went in the back, came back out with a business card and throw. Let me restate that THROW it on the corner in front of me and said "GOOD LUCK".

Now at this point, while in the store, I called the number. It clearly is a India Call Center. No one could speak English well. The man was trying to be nice, but informed me he didn't have any numbers but the store number and I could call and make a complaint to the same store manager I just dealt with or he could leave a message with the direct manager and it would take 48 hrs before he could get back to me. He couldn't give out thecorporate headquarters number or give me the name of whom would be calling me. I even ask for his boss. She was nice but same story. I ask if she could just call him and tell him to call me. They had no phone numbers they just send emails.

This is the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. I shop Petsmart all the time because of their service. I have had complaints about small stuff and it is always resolved or an apology. I spend about 500 a month on food and supplies for my 6 animals. I thought I would give Petco a try. NEVER AGAIN. I will stay with Petsmart.

Shoppers BEWARE!!!

• Po
                pobarjenkins Sep 21, 2010

You should check the website. Usually you can email complaints.

• Mo
                Mother_of_3 May 01, 2011

I went to PetCo in Dale City VA to take my puppy for a hair cut...They were nice at first but then later told me that they could bath and brush my puppies teeth but could not give her the hair cut because this was her first time...well my husband and I decided to call another place who were happy to take her in on short notice. We went back to pick up my puppy to find her dripping wet with water...They didnt blow dry her...she was cold...And when we talked to Matt the store MGN her was rude and said his groomer was new and that it was " Better not to serve customers like us" I was in aw to the fact my husband has 3 Purple Hearts and is a Federal Agent...So I just hung up on him.

• Re
                Reviewer25175 Feb 11, 2016

I oared cat sip 3weeks ago still not here. the other pet stores get it asap. why is business so poor. one man from the other store drove it down on his own. wow. 24 hr. to return fish if they die. refused to take my back after 12 hrs. grass valley petco.

Petcobad service

On july 26th our pet fish "dorthy" that we had for 5 months died. My three year old daughter was devastated as you can imagine. So we had a little funeral for her and we went to petco to purchase another fish. My daughter picked out a betta crowntail male. She was so excited about the red and blue colors on the tale. Anyway, they next morning I noticed that the fish had died sometime during the night. I did not want my daughter to know that it had died so I quickly put it in a zip lock bag and drove over to petco. I was told I needed to talk to the manager in the fish department "shaun". I explained to him what happened and showed him my receipt. He took one look at it and said that the girl the day before had rung me up wrong. She under charged me. She only charged me $3.99 and it should have been rung up at $6.99. He said since that happened he would not be able to replace it with a crowntail fish. He said he would replace it with a cheaper fish but not a crowntail fish. I explained to him I needed the exact same kind and color so my daughter would not notice. He was very rude to me and not sympathetic to my daughters feelings. He said I could pay the difference for a crowntail fish. It was a $3 dollar difference. After several minuts of begging him to replace my fish he just walked away from me. I told me I would not be shopping here anymore and his response was "that's fine!" he did not care about my business or my daughters feelings. It's a big deal to a 3 year old losing a pet. I was so upset. I have never had such bad customer service in my life. I had to hurry and get home so I had to pay the $3 difference so I could have the same fish. I was not happy. My mom, also shops at petco and she said she will be taking her business elsewhere. She couldn't believe a petco employee acted that way. So petco lost our business over $3. Not good business.

• funnybussiness Oct 13, 2014

###. Your story sounds FISHY!
                  He wouldn't check your receipt only to see what betta you brought in vs what should have been on receipt which sounds like you were pulling scam. You probably killed the fish by adding unconditioned tap water. Another young mother again having no bussiness having a kid.

Petco Groomers — services not rendered

PETO's Groomer failed to properly groom two Cocker Spaniels per scheduled appointment. My two dogs had a...

Petco — tried to scam me

I went in on Friday, July 23, 2010 and purchased a baby bearded dragon, which I named Zeus, for just over...

Petcogrooming abuse

Warning! Warning! Warning! Do not take your pets to petco in harker heights for grooming services. I took my great pyreness mix there to get groomed. Those of you who are familiar with the breed, know they have very long (6-8 inch) curly hair. He used to love to be brushed, but after this encounter with the head groomer if you approach him with a brush or even brush your own hair in his presence, he tries to bite. Not a simple nip, to draw blood. While on a visit to petco after the incident with the groomer, to buy other products there, the head groomer walked toward him and he tried to bite her, and he doesn't bite, he likes everyone.

Now in order to have him groomed for about $70.00 is is costing me $176.00 because he has to be sedated. There lies another problem, because he could die from sedation. During the short time he is sedated he has to be shaved, because it is nearly impossible to try to brush him out in a short hour. The loss of hair on his body aslo requires us to put sunblock on him and not let him out during the day cause he could go blind.

Of course he no longer goes to petco and it would be wise for others not to use them either, god only knows what type of abuse your animals are going through. We believe she hit him with the brush. Three of my friends who have used petco have had similar experiences with their animals and no longer use petco. The manager said he refuses to fire her because he has got no other complaints.

groom mgr Aug 02, 2010

I saw the pics of your dog on another complaint board and he sure looked pelted to me. He probably responds to grooming in a negative manner now because the mats were so painful for him. He associates pain and grooming, instead of being groomed regularly and kept mat free.

• Fo
                    foodforthought Aug 02, 2010

what SOB's! We just got a dog and she's a matlese/shih tzu mix. We took one look at petco and petsmart's grooming practices on other dogs and I have resigned to learn to groom her myself. We saw them yanking the ears of a dog just yesterday. Eff that! Your poor dog. it's a hassel but worth it for both of you if you were to spend the time to learn to do it yourself.

• Fo
                    foodforthought Aug 02, 2010

I don't know why it has a hands down. I said i agree...

groom mgr Aug 02, 2010

LOL it must be opposite day. I was hands down but it's up!