Petco Online Order Check OutOutrageous new surcharge for hawaii shipments!

K

For over 12 years, i've had great monthly online ordering experiences for my cat's food and his supplies.. Because petco offers the free shipping promo for purchases $49 and over for most of its products, it was a great and efficient manner to have my order delivered to my doorsteps because I am almost 80 years old and can't walk or carry anything because of my deteriorating spinal stenosis conditions.

Today, I got the shock of my life when I was ready to check out with my monthly petco order... The subtotal was: $85.32 and free shipping and this outrageous surcharge $54.17 with a total of $139.49 without the sales taxes..

I couldn't believe my eyes.. So I called petco's customer service and got their agent/supervisor jennifer to answer and she explained it was a new charge now applicable to all alaska and hawaii orders being shipped... By the united states postal services...!

This was odd to me because for the past 12 years, united parcel service, ups is the delivery courier which was a great delivery company.

Why this sudden change to use the united states postal service, usps... When ups has it's own jet aircraft fleet which flys to the hawaiian islands!!! Why is usps suddenly claiming exclusive rights to ship parcels for petco to hawaii!!

Is there an internal company benefit privilege between petco and usps to eliminate ups???
Well... Happily petsmart finally opened their stores in hawaii and offers shipping as petco does to hawaii... But their shipping charge for my orders are under $5.00!

So I decided to stop ordering from petco and instead I will purchase all my cat's needs through petsmart.

Amazon also has my pet cat's food brand, which is royal canin and if you a prime member, shipments to hawaii are free!

Oh yes, and petco didn't bother to notify their hawaii customers of their outrageous surcharges...

So long petco!! You're not the only pet food and supplies online store!

Outrageous new surcharge for hawaii shipments!

• De
    Denisesanders Oct 07, 2021

I made an order of two items, totaling around 89$, which qualified me for free shipping. I received the more expensive item. Weeks later, I received a notice that they had cancelled my order per my request, which I absolutely did not request. They stated that they had given me a partial refund.

When I called the contact number, the woman kept giving me different amounts of what I would owe if I wanted the item because of shipping, taxes etc…

I got so frustrated with her that I could not continue the conversation, and ordered the item on Amazon.

I will never order through Petco again.

• Je
    Jessejames007 Feb 08, 2021

I also got hit with the surcharge and I live in Kentucky. Canceled that order real quick!

Chelzmarie416 Nov 15, 2018

Yes I agree!! I was so disappointed that they didn’t even give us a email. No heads up at all. And sadly I paid the surcharge because I needed dog food fast. Since they have always had fast shipping which is rare for Alaska. But I won’t be returning anymore. Just for one bag of dog food that costs 39 dollars is now almost $100!!! I’m honestly sad because I really did love petco.

• Re
    Rebecca Choy Oct 25, 2018

Preach! I have my pet's food on repeat delivery and noticed yesterday that they tacked on a surcharge. Half of my subtotal. Crazy! On to find a new retailer.

• Je
    Jennifer Ching Sep 30, 2018

Yes! I live in Hawaii and had been shopping online. Today I tried to order and had a surcharge of $63!!! Are they crazy?? Bye, Felicia!!

• Me
    Meow808 Sep 24, 2018

I too called them when I saw the surcharge because it was just ridiculous. I spend over $1000 a month on cat food because I do rescues and I have a lot of cats in my house. Now they have completely lost my business and best yet Petsmart agreed to match any special pricing the local Petco has offered me. Plus I get 5% off if I order ahead to be picked up.
    I told them before when they messed around with their rewards and had capped those off (they have since removed that new policy which was stupid) they should fire whoever comes up with these ridiculous ideas that negatively affect customers. They obviously haven’t done so. So goodbye Petco hello Petsmart for all of my cat/kitten needs.

Chris Savid Sep 24, 2018

I agree. Just tried to order a $27 bag of cat litter and they want to charge me a $35 dollar surcharge along with shipping and handling. They just lost my business.