Pep Boysnot fixing my car correctly and the engine light continues to come on and will not go off and no one returning my calls now that they have my money.

Pep Boys installed an engine in my 1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass and I have a 3 yrs warranty on the engine and was told I can go to any Pep Boys if I have any problems within the 3 yrs. My engine light has been on now for months and I have went to several Pep Boys and they continue to tell me I have to take my car back to the Pep Boys that installed my engine. I have called and emailed Pep Boys Corporate Office and no one will return my calls or respond to my email. It cost me $2800.00 for my engine and labor. Pep Boys is a rip off and they really treat women bad and I just want some one to help me in this matter, because I need to get my car fixed correctly because I will have to get a SMOG soon and it will not pass due to the enging and oil light on. I have taken it to other mechanis who said don't allow Pep Boys to put my car on another diagnostic machine because I have an engine problem and not an electrical problem because they also keep charging me $100 to continue putting it on the diagnostic and the problem isn't getting fixed.

• Valerie Jun 02, 2008

Pay us now or pay someone else later should be their motto.

I went to Pep Boys to have two tires repaired on my leased SUV. One had a nail and the other a slow leak.

They repaired one and couldn't find the leak in the other. They recommended replacing all four tires before returning the vehicle to GM.

I declined the tires and paid for the repair. A short time later my vehicle was ready.

Within an hour of driving I realized that my air conditioner was no longer working.

Coincidence or criminal mischief - you be the judge.

• Br
    Brian Dilts Jun 20, 2008

Does anyone know why Pep Boys now requires your vehicle registration information, even if you're bringing it in for a simple oil change? According to the location I went to, he needed the information, so he can "put my information in the system". He said they updated their system in January and this is a new requirement. I could not a straight answer as to why. It used to be any time I brought my car in for anything (except inspection) that they just needed the make and model, and maybe specific information about the car (engine type, etc), but never for this type of information.

It strikes me as an invasion of privacy to require this. Does anyone else agree or know why this is done?

Thanks,
    Brian.

• Ki
    Kim Jan 14, 2009

I went into a Pep Boys for the first time yesterday to get some new tires since I'd blown a tire over the weekend. Ordered 2 tires (presumably for 54.99 since that's what it said on the tag) which ended up being $81 ea.. did not notice the price discrepancy till the following day. [strike 1]
    That night, one of the NEW tires blew out.

So I dutifully back to the Pep Boys at 8am in the morning on Monday to get it swapped out. Was told by the Manager (Juan) that it would take 1.5 hrs to get to my car since there were 3 other cars in front of me. I waited there a little over an hour in the waiting room and was called to the counter to be told they do not have my tires in stock. Why would you make a customer wait an hour to be told a TIRE is not in stock? Thanks for making me late to work. [strike 2]

Called up the same Pep Boys after getting to work and was told by Juan that the tires wont be in till later in the evening. I asked whether since I have to come in anyway whether I can pick up two more tires as part of the buy-3- tires-get-1-free special (which I wasn't told of yesterday) and Juan raises his voice and tells me hurriedly the invoice is closed and if I want two more tires I'd have to pay full price for them. Even after I explained the salesperson yesterday misrepresented the price of the tires, the manager was completely unsympathetic, uncaring, and even went insofar as to make fun of me for not noticing the price discrepancy yesterday before signing the bill. [strike 3]

Lessons learned: never go to Pep Boys in Jersey City (by the newport mall). They're shadey to customers, women especially, and don't treat you like they value your business at all.

• Ro
    Romek Mar 18, 2009

Purchased 4 new tires under the 'Buy 3 Get 1 Free' offer. Mailed in my information and received a card saying that my purchase was outside the promotion dates. I called and the representative said they had mistakenly entered it under the wrong code.

First of all - nice try. Secondly - Pep Boys has been running the same deal for as long as I can remember. How was my purchase outside some offer range? Pep Boys likely sends that card to most customers in hopes that a minimum of 50% will be too lazy, lose the card, or simply take Pep Boys' word. I did finally receive my rebate, but I will never set foot in another Pep Boys.

• Go
    Gordon Apr 15, 2009

I am writing to explain my dissatisfaction with Pep Boys. In January, I had to replace a catalytic converter. Pep Boys on Cobb Parkway in Marietta, GA charged me an over $550 for that service. Two weeks later, I had to take my car back again because I had identical symptoms. According to the service department, my mass-airflow sensor had gone out, costing another $250.00. Under normal circumstances, I would not have an issue paying for the replacement; however, I have spoken with multiple mechanics who believe that was caused by another issue which is explained in greater detail below.

Three weeks ago, I was driving down the highway and had a great loss of power. I have had random incidents of power loss since I had the catalytic converter replaced, but this was very different. As I was pressing on my gas pedal, my speed was going down instead of up and all of the sudden I heard a loud pop followed by some hissing sounds. I quickly took it to a local mechanic and got it fixed, as by this time, I was distrustful of Pep Boys. The EGR valve had blown a hole in it. Not just a small hole, a hole that told the mechanic that there was a substantial amount of pressure coming from somewhere and needed to escape. The valve looks as if a bullet has been shot through. This repair cost me an additional $320.00. I still had a noticeable loss of power after taking my car to get the EGR valve fixed, so I went for a second opinion at Gordy Tire, a recommended local total care auto shop. They showed me where the catalytic converter had been put on incorrectly and the faulty piping was causing the airflow to not flow through the pipes correctly. They also showed me where the bumper had been melted to my tailpipe due to the substandard installation. I immediately returned to Pep Boys to get it fixed right away. They did fix it, and also informed me that they are going to pay for the bumper replacement. I raised an issue about the EGR valve and they denied it saying “The EGR valve was more than likely caused by when your catalytic converter went bad in the first place, " which is possible, but not likely because the massive hole in my EGR valve occurred 2 months after the catalytic converter was put on incorrectly. I have included a picture of the valve for your reference. After Pep Boys fixed the improperly installed catalytic converter I no longer experienced a loss of power.

I currently have a claim open with their customer service department. I have not heard from anyone in over a week, and would like to get this resolved. I spoke with Scott Hedrick at the service center and knew that the bumper claim was being filed. However, I do not think that replacing the bumper is sufficient, and I contacted their customer service department on 3/17/2017 at 10:26am to make my case for the other issues. The last contact I had was 3/23/2017 at 1:05 pm stating that my claim was accepted for the bumper. As for the other issues, I was told to contact their claims person. I have tried to reach her multiple times, and her mailbox is continually full.

My vehicle could have suffered much more internal damage from putting the catalytic converter on improperly. I was informed that all of the pressure that was caused in two months of driving could have blown my engine or worse. I was lucky that during this time I often worked from home. This is not what I consider good customer service. When service is requested, it needs to be done correctly and with the customer's utmost satisfaction. Pep Boys has failed to deliver on both parts. If this is not resolved to my satisfaction, I will not hesitate to contact my attorney, as well as the Better Business Bureau.

To add to this, I again have a check engine light, and the diagnostic code reads that it is to do with the catalytic converter. My car now has two bad catalytic converters. One is the one that Pep Boys replaced and the second one is an expensive one that Pep Boys would have charged 1000.00+ for (the mechanic is charging 550.00 for it). The store manager does not want to deal with it anymore, so he said to get it replaced at the muffler shop that told me about the catalytic converter going out and he will refund the price. He said he does not want to deal with it anymore. He was a bit frustrated with me saying “You have been taking it to other mechanics to get estimates and not us. We are the experts at emissions inspections and repairs. Not them. You have gotten everything you came in about reimbursed and you want more. I want the catalytic converter issue out of our hands at this point. Replace it with your mechanic and I will refund the whole price of the catalytic converter once you bring the bad one back to me. Your mechanic can deal with the guarantee." I said to him, rather angered “We would not have this issue if you put it on correctly in the first place. Some F^[email protected]$#@$# expert you are."

• Tu
    Tuinp Aug 21, 2009

We had put a brand new set of tires in February because the outsides of the old front tires had worn down too badly from needing an alignment. Two weeks later, we took the truck to Pep Boys for an alignment. Three days ago, I began to hear a squealing noise coming from the front end whenever I turned or went around a curve. I took it to a tire dealer closer to my house and the technician there was aghast. He asked me who did the alignment; he said that my front tires had way too much positive toe and that they were ruined. He estimates that I have less than 10, 000 miles left out of them. He told me that Pep Boys clearly owes me some tires and that I should take the truck back there right away. The service manager's explanation for the fact that my new tires have the same wear damage after their alignment that my old tires had before it was that somebody must have maliciously gotten under my truck since they aligned it last and loosened the sleeve nuts on my left tie rod - thereby throwing my truck out of alignment. I have a copy of the alignment report from February. They made absolutely no corrections to either front wheel. On a truck that was brought to them because it was destroying front tires. I maintain that they either negligently missed the loose tie rod during their non-inspection. So far, they refuse to replace my tires but I'm not finished writing letters. I will file a complaint against them. In the meantime, any one who does business with them be careful.

Joe828 Sep 02, 2009

When took my car to pep-boys for brake service they put a nail in the side wall of my tire. I inspected my car before I took it in. I also have tire pressure sensors on my car that didn't low tire pressure before took my car there. The mechanic showed me the nail in the sidewall. It was a very small nail that could never had driven over because it was on the side. I informed the manager and he said that none of his employees would never do such a thing. Of course the tire couldn't be repaired because the nail was on the side wall. They tried to sell me another for $138 dollars. What a lousy way to sell tires.

• Zo
    Zohan Sep 06, 2009

I had bought 4 tires from Pepboys with road hazard and free rotation, they was dakota m/t 40, 000 miles tires, at about 25, 000 miles on the tires I took my chevy 4x4 in for a rotation and the manager advised me he could, nt rotate the tires because they was a little under have tread now, he said I needed to buy a new set (4) and consider getting a aligment and new shocks, well I did, nt think this was right my truck was, nt eating tires and I had brand new monroe shocks on it.The tires was well worth the price I paid for them and I would probley buy another set when these are wore out, but I will not buy there warrentys no more, this was the store in Lakeland Florida.

• Te
    TedE51 Sep 29, 2009

I took my car to the Pep Boys on Arden Way in Sacramento, Ca to fix the front brakes. They have been squeaking so loud it was embarrassing. They told me they'd do a free inspection and then proceed to fix what was wrong. An hour later, the guy called and said my breaks were excellent and that all that was needed was an adjustment and some cleaning...very strange.

Assuming he knew what he was talking about I was a bit relieved that a whole bunch of work was not required. He said the car was ready for me to pick it up. When I got there, my car was still in the shop up on the lift with the hood up and all the wheels removed. The lady said the guy who was working on my car left for lunch and left someone else in charge who evidently also went to lunch. She said she'd call in about an hour when they got back and it'd be done by then.

Two hours later, after waiting around for the phone call, I decided to drive over there and see what was up. Sure enough, my car was in the exact same position still stripped of its wheels!

The guy that was there this time said everyone had gone home and he didn't know anything about my car!! No one has passed along the information or anything! They just abandoned it there!

About another 1/5 hour later, they finally got my car out, oh, and with a brand new dent in the driver side door...

After all was said and done (no charge thank god) my brakes still squeak!!

Lousy service...Bad Quality! Do Not Go Here!

Mark Apr 14, 2010

These idiots have no clue whats going on! My car was towed to the shop for the 3rd time in less then a week! When this problem is done I am done with them! Manny, Moe, and dumb ***! The store in Stratford NJ charges $90.00 for diagnostic testing but guess what, there is no computer!!! The lady told me they do it by hand as if it were an old car! I won't ever go there again. Now they tell me I can bring it back to the Audobon store where it was 1st towed into to have them look at it! Right about now I'm pissed cause this car rental is killing me!

• St
    Stan Apr 15, 2010

Ordered part from Pep Boys on Tuesday paid for next day delivery. Was told it would be in by 3 P M. Went to store at 4:45 P M.. Was told it would be in by 6 P M. Went back to store on Thursday at 8:30 A M was told that parts ordered Past 3 P M take 2 days. Why was I told after 3 P M on Wednesday..I have an appointment with my mechanic at 11 A M today.I paid extra for next day delivery what a joke...I'm not mad at the clerk the company needs to teach them there policy...

• Ne
    Nedy Apr 28, 2010

After 3 months of fighting with Baja i finally got the ok to return the go cart. Baja told me to leave the 150cc cart at the repair shop. Its been in this shop for three months. I was told to return to Pep boys with a confirmation number and i would get my money back. Now 4 days later i have no money no go cart and they dont know when i will get my money back. This was a Christmas present for my three kids. Mabeye they will return my money before next Christmas. To be continued. Hope this dont happen to you.

• Pe
    Peppopat May 11, 2010

Location:
    2301 Southwest 8th Street
    Miami, FL 33135
    Phone: [protected]

I took my car in for a minor job that required the car to be put up on the lift. I guess Pep Boy School forgot to teach the mechanic that the radio needs to be turned off first or the antenna will hit the ceiling and kink it. After much auguing over the liability Pep Boys finally conceeded that they would fix it, free of charge.

What they didn't tell me was that they were putting in a crappy aftermarket antenna that only lasted 6 moonths. It makes a horrible noise when the radio turns on and when it turns off. It's so embarrasssing.

When I tried to take it back to have it done over, the magager, Edwin, was so rude to me as if it's my fault that THEY put in a crappy antenna. He said it was my fault for having brought the car to them to being with, How's THAT for service???

• Ki
    KimK17 May 28, 2010

Took our vehicle in for several repairs including an oil change. After terrible service and a number of trips back to get them resolved we come to realize the oil change was never done and we paid for it. I would not let them ever touch another vehicle we own. when we called to complain each time we were told just bring the car in and we will check it out. Now that we found out they never changed the oil or filter we called and where told yes we did do an oil change. We have the filter that was just pulled out but at this point nothing will be done.

• Bl
    Blessed to be alive. Jun 11, 2010

Would not recomend buying tires here. I think maybe they should stick with auto repair. I used to go to pep boys for my tires on all of my families vehicles, but last year on the interstate while driving my wife and kids to New Orleans, our tire blew out, but the only thing about it was the outer threads flew off. It did not loose the air, and I have been told repeatedly that it sounds like I had a recapped tire. I purchased them new, not used so I didnt understand why I was jeapodizing my families well being. The tire caused 1200.00 in damage to our suv, and about 7 months later, we found ourselves in the exact same situation! I would not recommend that anyone purchase tires from this place. My brother in law is a GM at Advanced Auto and they were forced to go to classes about tires. He let me know that what happened to us is the result of companies buying c-grade tires (rejects) from the factories, then selling them at new prices.

• Ro
    rogue rc51 Aug 19, 2010

people need to realize the complexity of todays vehicles and remember that not too many shops have the potential of offering top notch service and unbeatable tire prices the way pb can.they also have a very good guarantee on all their work an products, an they stand behind their work. hey were only human lighten up .

• Th
    TheAdviser Sep 02, 2010

First off i agree that the rebate is a pain and has a faulty system, but what most people don't know is that pep boys pays somebody to process and deal with the rebates somewhere in el paso, texas I believe. Just call the number at the bottom of the rebate form or call in to the service department and I'm sure the manager will be happy to give you the. Also note that in this business people come to these repair centers already in a bad mood because their car is broken and these service advisers and service managers deal with upset people everyday, while we all know that people aren't perfect and will make mistakes. Sometimes a bit of a pat on the back loosens these people up.

• Bi
    bigdgolf1 Oct 22, 2010

Took the car in to be fixed. The car would start and run, but would intermittedly not start again. It would eventually start after 20 minutes to an hour. This would happen about four to five times a week. Pep Boys said they were, and I quote " pretty sure " it was the spark plugs and wires that needed to be replaced. $360 later the problem still existed. They refunded the dianostic fee of $90 and didn't back their claim of fixing the problem. Took it to A and J tires and they replaced the main relay and the problem was fixed. (and, by the way, they said if it wasn't fixed they guaranteed they would fix it without anymore cost). I called Pep Boys corporate 3 times...The second time they said it was resolved, and iftwas left at that. They re-opend in again and the 3rd time said it was closed with no solution. I understand it went to the top at Pep Boys and that is it, sorry. Stay away from them. All they want is your money and who cares if the problem you took it in for is still there. Great customer satisfaction. Beware!!

• Su
    Subru Jan 15, 2011

Hi, I went to pep boys @ parsippany, NJ for license plate light change.they claims they have changed the burned out bulb .and charged me around 25 dollars.next day I checked the light with a friend.he said it's not working.went back to the same pep boys to get it done again.they said they will charge me again.saw manager ;he has even worst attitude than the employees.when I checked the power line was disconnected to the light.lights is the same burnt out one!horrible state of affairs.

• Je
    JerryZ72 Feb 08, 2011

I live in PA and drive a truck which requires a special emissions test due to the weight rating. In anticipation of my need to have it inspected, I called the local Pep Boys in Quakertown, PA (early in January) to inquire as to whether or not they had the equipment to do the test. I was told yes they do, and that they do not make appointments. No problem, I was waiting until later in the month to come in as I was traveling for business until then. Fast forward a couple of weeks to this Saturday. I went to the Pep Boys and registered for the state emissions inspection. After about an hour, I inquired as to the wait time, and was told that it would be about 5 hours, and they were now not sure that they could perform the test that I needed. Not sure ? How can the "trained mechanics" not be sure ? I was mad... I then called the store in North Wales, PA and asked them if they could do it. Again, they checked and said yes. The wait was two hours, so I immediately drove down, dropped my truck off, and had a friend pick me up to grab lunch. An hour after we left, I get a call from them that I can come get my truck. Guess what, they don't have the equipment to do the test either - they didn't think my truck required the test (AFTER I called to specifically inquire about their ability to do it). I was told that their Norristown store had the right machine. By now, I was seriously pissed ! I called Norristown, they confirmed that they have the machine, but they were booked solid and could not do it on Saturday. They suggested I come in Sunday morning. Fine. I got a sitter for my daughters and made the hour drive to Norristown this morning. When I get up to the service counter, I explain what happened yesterday, and told the man I need the emission inspection done. His reply was "not today"... NOT TODAY ? REALLY ? Who the *** teaches these people how to talk to customers ??? I've now lost two days to running around because Pep Boys ***, and I have to *** tomorrow, cross my fingers, and PRAY I can get in somewhere. I'm in an emergency situation because I believed that the ###s who work in the service department of Pep Boys might actually have some idea of what they are doing. I cannot begin to tell you how pissed off I am about the situation I am in, and how it's been created because pep Boys ***. I will NEVER go there again once I am done with this.

• Ne
    neutral guys i sac Apr 08, 2011

that is not true. A mechanic doesnt make money instaling a set of 4 tires, they get ripped off by their company. so ur statement is invalid they dont make money fixing flats or replacing tires, why you think they take so long to do it, thats because they dont want to do it, Duhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Sl
    Slab95 Jun 19, 2011

I bought 2 proline rims and tires the guys put the wrong lugnuts on now i can, t get the tres off the car so i can put brakeshoes on the problem is that the lugs were wrong and they striped them off while proforming my yearly inspection at aaa transmision in york pa. there is the problem, i don, t want to get the guy in trouble that put them on atyour pepboys statin look even if the inspection was proformed the wrong lugs were installed in the first place so please tell those guys at pepboys in york, pa to do the right thing, i love that place, they have fixed m up hndreds of times and i can, t figure out why thee doing this!

Not a fan of bad service Mar 12, 2012

Service technician Jose Ordenez had horrible customer service. Complained that he did not want to work on my car, and gave me 'lip' about putting it back together after he took it apart.
    I am not keen about anyone talking crazy to me that works in a customer service atmosphere. In addition, I believe an automotive service should be customer service friendly to help instill confidence that the work is getting done, or at least to assure you that you have not been forgotten in the waiting area.

NOTE: I waited in the waiting area for two hours while they removed a belt, and put the same belt back on... Hmm... Two hours?! Really?

• Be
    Bernie Dougherty Mar 12, 2012

All should deal with a private Mechanic who is an independent, If the owner is hands on or manages his business, The guys at chain shops do what they were told I closed s Pa state inspection shop in Pa. opened in 1959 some times a car needs to be diagnosed by removing a ton of parts if this is the case, No one should complain some customers lack common sense If it a engine - transmission -emission issue obd2 or obd3 a diagnostic connection will find most.Keep in mind most people hate paying to repair vehicles.Some swear by chains.Local shops don't have the buying power of large chain So if part prices make your decision You get what you asked for.

• Li
    liberty1776 Jul 16, 2014

Depends - why did the A/C stop working?