Complaints & Reviews

Office Depot — have you ever heard of credit card?

First off, I'm not blaming this particular store location, but I am saying that their service is ###ed...

Office Depotdon't believe office depot sales people no matter how convincing

The policy was provided by Kemper Insurance. I bought it only after being assured numerous times that if my printer failed, I would not have to ship it for repair, but would instead receive an Office Depot credit to buy a new one.

The printer failed, I called for replacement and -- you guessed it -- they tell me I am required to ship the printer across country to their Florida facility.

Don't believe Office Depot sales people no matter how convincing!

ODguy Apr 10, 2011

most of the time they don't want you to ship it, but if the printer is above a certain price they will.

a small percent of the time they want you to ship the printer to confirm the damage.

you don't pay for they shipping.

• Fk
      fkerr May 25, 2011

I've never had any problems with my protection plans. A few times, they repaired them and a few times they just sent me a gift card to replace it.
      I always register my plan, as I have been told and I simply call and in a few days it has been taken care of.

ODBoy Jun 12, 2011

This is a response to ODguy. Yes, I do work at Office Depot and yes the Diagnose and Repair is just a glorified virus scan. If you think that those tech services are doing anything beneficial to the customer's computer then you really don't know anything about computers; sorry. Those tech services are disgraceful. I'm close with the store manager so I'm very aware how much pressure upper management puts on lower management to sell those damn plans and services. Also, in reference to the "ship the PC to a repair facilitiy" comment; the customer has to pay a $250 flat rate up front before the computer is even shipped off. Thats even more ridiculous than the $170 Diagnose & Repair.

The whole point of all of this is that Office Depot is advertising their employees to be tech experts when that just simply is not true. They are minimum wage employees who may or may not know anything about computers (usually the latter). These guys receive NO additional training; they're just trying to make some commission. I can't tell you how many times I've had a customer come up to me and ask "where is your technician" or "where is your tech expert". They never asked this before the advertisements for the tech services. People are being misled and it isn't right.

• Re
      REAL OD Employee Jun 14, 2011

Wow, ODBoy. People like you give Office Depot a bad name. I also work at OD, and I can refute just about everything you said.

Diagnose and Repair - Considering how nasty some of these virus infections can be (how about a rootkit that prevents you from running any executable files, including virus removal tools?), I'd say $170 is definitely worth it. On the rarest of occasions, we get a service in that all we have to do is connect it and run. Most of the time, we have to do anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours worth of work on a computer before we can even let the automated tools take over. Oh, yeah...and none of my tech experts are "minimum wage employees". And unless your store manager is completely ignoring direction from corporate, neither are yours. I have 2 A+ certified techs on my staff, one of whom is also an MCSE.

Also, we don't have any service or warranty plan that requires a customer to pay a $250 flat rate up front. The comment above was about a printer, not a PC. The only service that comes close to what you're talking about is the $299.99 central repair. $300 is actually a pretty fair price, considering what some local repair shops around here charge.

The takeaway here, folks, is that ODBoy is wrong - Office Depot DOES have qualified tech experts. This isn't Best Buy, where the salesman helping you is 18 years old and fresh from his graduation ceremony. The average age of my tech associates is around 27. Just make sure you avoid ODBoy's store, as there are clearly many things going wrong in that building.

• Th
      TheWayItIs Jul 06, 2011

There is some truth in these posts but there is also deception.
      For printers, manufacturers typically send out refurbs in the warranty period - they send the unit and the box and you pack up and send back the malfunctioning one prepaid. Most printers come with a one year warranty. You don't need the OD PPP for this. OD's "2 year replacement plan" only replaces in YEAR 2. Kemper Insurance is the underwriter, NEW is the plan administrator and responsible party. The mfr is solely liable in YEAR 1. The plan is a deception. Also, the posted Tech Depot parts costs are inflated. Not every store has certified techs. It's hit and miss. I will give them credit, generally, for being a cut above Worst Buy's Geek Squad.

Officemax/ Upspoor response from customer service non delivery of product even after 30 days

Hi All,

I would like to share my experience shopping at officemax online, then the response of customer service representative who call himself Zachary Stevens for nearly a month after non delivery of the product.
    I ordered 2 HP Ink 920XL Black Item #: [protected] Price: 25.59 EA on January 17th and it was supposed to be shipped by UPS in the next few days. After i didnt get the product for week, i looked up the tracking number which to my surprise was shown as delivered ( may be at the wrong address, not sure ). When I contacted UPS, their response was its the person who shipped who should contact them. When I contacted the shipper Officemax, they keep on en-quiring about what happened for nearly a month, and i think they will continue en-quiring about it.
    At this point as a customer who is grieving about this incident what are my possibilities? What all can i do?

Office Depotservice

i have been in office depot many times as i am often on the road with my job and need the printing services they provide. it has always seemed very impersonal but im willing to overlook some things for the sake of getting the job done. however, i went into an office depot just last week and was surprised to see the level of incompetence achieved in this one location. i was 3rd in line to get some things copied and the two people in front of me had relatively sizeable jobs and the poor girl behind the counter was extremely frustrated and overwhelmed. i watched as her co-workers would come behind her counter and service their own needs, seeing she was overwhelmed and yet went about their own business. after 30 minits of waiting, i had noted 5 other employees just standing around. i even stopped one guy and he told me he would be right with me, he went halfway down the aisle and stood there for the next 5 minits. then he walked over to a computer screen so he would at least look busy. i even tried to make copies on their self serve copiers but they wanted credit card only and i wasnt gonna spend $1.20 on a credit card for copies. finally in my frustration, i asked the question that got the best response. "where is the nearest OfficeMax?" so they gave me directions and i was in and out of OfficeMax in less than 5 minits... thanks Office Depot, youre the best employee OfficeMax has.

• Ra
          Rafael26 Feb 23, 2011

Only certain trained associates are able to do a printing service correctly.

• Mt
          mtrlrainman Mar 02, 2011

The previous comment is correct. Only a few associates in the store are certified to use the Xerox machines. They do that to help insure the quality and accuracy of the print job for the customer.

ODguy Apr 10, 2011

being one of those trained employees I do understand how frustrating it could be to wait because of how busy it is.

I wish more employees were trained back in CPD, but if an untrained associate tries to help it usually ends up making it worse.

if a place is busy, you're gonna wait. doesn't matter where you are.

odtech Apr 26, 2011

I just recently quit my job at Office Depot after being there for 2 years as a tech associate. All I'm going to say is that your problem is primarily with corporate, not the associates. As previously mentioned, not everyone in the store works in copy/print. Sure, they may be able to help out with simple copies or something but anyone other than a copy/print worker back there usually just gets in the way or messes something up. At my store we had only one person working in copy/print 80% of the time. At least you didn't blame the copy/print associate for being slow like most people so rudely do. It's the same way in tech. I'll have 4 people waiting on me to check what kind of ink they need or to help with routers while I'm diagnosing someone's computer... And no one else is there to back me up. The guy that brushed you off was wrong though. He should've apologized for the wait and explained what I just did, but he was one of the people that the store manager shouldn't have hired apparently.

Office Depotwarranty service is awful

So I bought a laptop from Office Depot in December of 2009. I decided that because it was a laptop and I would be dragging everywhere with me, I'd buy the extended service plan which allows you to basically send the thing in if anything breaks. Well, back in December, my built in wireless card stopped working. So I sent it in. Well I get the thing back and they not only erased my hard drive and put a note in the box saying that they couldn't re-install the operating system because my windows label on the bottom of the laptop was illegible, but I came to find out (once I reinstalled the operating system myself), they didn't even fix the wireless card. So I called the repair center and left them a voicemail stating that they didn't fix the problem. I never received a call back. Right after the holidays, I called them back and told them that the wireless card was still broken and asked them to send me another box so I could send it in again. Now the first box showed up in about 3 days. A week later, the box hadnt shown up. Then, about two weeks ago, the laptop took a small spill off my ottoman and the *** screen cracked (which is actually covered in this plan). So I called them again and asked them to send me a box so I could send it in for repair. Once again, the box never showed up. Then I called them a week ago, really pissed, and I was assured that the box would arrive and would be sent 2-day air. That was Monday of this week. It's now Friday night and nothing has shown up. I paid $250 for that *** extended warranty. What a rip off.

1-800 Office Max Online Customer Service Blatton Liesblack friday lies of deseat

11/24 Prior to Black Friday I had called Office Max's 800 online to ask several questions a total of 3 different times to ask about everything about a computer.
          As I listened to each one of the 3 customer service people, as if it was in scrip, they said I should order it online and If I were lucky to go to there Black Friday Sale and obtain that computer, that I would have until "Saturday afternoon" to cancel my online order and nothing will ship until the following Monday!
          So, my wife and I got up at 4AM to Wait in line at 5AM being fifth and sixth in line. The store opened at 7AM we attempted to purchased the computer as the sales people weren't trained properly and had to cancel my transaction a few times, which put a halt on my debut card, , , geeesh. I had to call my bank and they said it was Office Max not the banks fault, finally it got resolved. I went straight home, 9AM put down the bags and call Office Max 800 to cancel.
          The customer service rep assured me that I have canceled and affirmed that I would not be charged. I had requested an e-mail to confirm this.
          At 2PM, 5 hours latter I received an e-mail stated that the order was ship already!
          I gathered all the bags and computer went back to the store and returned it, the manager OK the return. The sales person said that they had an inter office e-mail that said to advise customers if they wanted to order nothing would ship till Monday.
          We left and went to Best Buy and attempted to purchased a laptop computer and Bam Rejected two times had to call my bank and they finally went threw. The bank recommend that I go back to Office Max with a list and that that the Manager fax over to my bank, he was very helpful and asked If I would print out a copy of both Order confirmation and the e-mail stated that it shipped, I did, he faxed to my bank.
          I returned home to make sure that my bank had rec'd the fax.The bank made a conference call to Office Max 800 and I had ask what are you going to do about the situation boy, talk about sitting on there thumbs! I asked for the CSR to talk to there manager to do something and said would you to talk to my bank, there on the line, he said hold on...20 minutes rolls on...the bank rep said...I think they hung up, I called back and asked the next CSR, What was the shipping company, he replied " a private company...geesh. I asked again he replied UPS Wa.DC hub, I asked whats the tracking number? he said there is no tracking number...geesh! I called the manager at the store to let him know. I called my bank and thought to refuse the shipment would be wise, So I taped a letter (Large Font)that I am refusing shipment from Office Max. UPS came to my door and took the letter on 2 Dec.
          I had to fight with these Idiots at Office Max 800 till today 7th December and a Rep at Office Max 800 called me on the phone accusing me that I received it on 6th Dec...I was furious!!! I called the manager at the store and gave him an update, he asked if I could give him 24hrs to look more into it because he also said he spoke with her also and said that a person Bates signed for it!

I called UPS and I relaid my story, They said you know what? OK here is the killer answer! Bates did signed for it! Bates is an employee of OFFICE MAX! Geesh it was refused returned to Office MAX on 6th December!!! WOW what jerks, , , , , , tomorrow I will call the manager weather he like Sunny Side Up or Hard Boiled ??????????? What hell they put me threw!

Office Depot - #1 CROOKScancel order instead of honoring price

On 11/26/2010 @ 12.23 am I placed an order online for 2 APC Back-UPS XS Series Battery Backup they had on sale for $99.99 each which is 50% off regular price, they were supposed to be delivered on 12/01, they never did and on 12/02/2010 they call me to tell me they had cancelled the order because they didn't have them in stock any longer, they tried to sell me some other model. When I checked online they do have them in stock but of course, they are now at regular price. This is the second time they do this to me, they did the same back in 2008, at the time I promised myself not to do business with them again, closed my business account I had with them and switched all my business to Staples, this time around price was a temptation and I broke my promise...like the old saying goes - Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, I should have learned from the first time and stuck to my promise. Moral of the story...Don't trust Office Depot and stick to your promises.

Office Depotcomplete disaster

Ordered a laptop online Black Friday morning. I had multiple time out errors before I finally got a confirmation number. I thought I was good to go. Boy was I wrong!! Through out the day I got 5 confirmation emails, which prompted me to call customer service. I was told that my credit card had been declined. I called my credit card company who told me Office Depot attempted to charge my card 4 times! It went through twice, after that it was flagged. Called Office Depot back, and I was told someone would call back by the end of the day with the problem resolved. No call back. Finally yesterday I was able to give another card, which they ran, and was told that my order was confirmed and I would definately receive my laptop by 12/6. Today, I get an email informing me my order is cancelled. I call again. They tell me its on backorder, I'll receive it eventually. When he could not help me any farther, I asked for his supervisor, and got hung up on. So I emailed, explained everything and asked for verification. I was told that the laptop at the price I ordered it was while supplies lasted and I would need to pay full price. So here I am, with over $1200 in pending charges on my cards, no laptop, and now they want me solve their screw up by paying full price. Office Depot just lost a long time customer!

John (rusty) Dec 05, 2010

Similar problem here, but with no credit card problem... On 11/26/2010 @ 12.23 am I placed an order online for 2 APC Back-UPS XS Series Battery Backup they had on sale for $99.99 each which is 50% off regular price, they were supposed to be delivered on 12/01, they never did and on 12/02/2010 they call me to tell me they had cancelled the order because they didn't have them in stock any longer, they tried to sell me some other model at full price. When I checked online they do have them in stock but of course, they are now at regular price. This is the second time they do this to me, they did the same back in 2008, at the time I promised myself not to do business with them again and instructed my employees to switch all our business to Staples. This time around price was a temptation and I broke my promise...like the old saying goes - Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, I should have learned from the first time and stuck to my promise. Moral of the story...Don't trust Office Depot and stick to your promises

OfficeMax failure to replace printer

I purchased one Epson printer from Officemax and after it went out in a little over a year I purchased another one, just like I had good sense! But I covered the base with a warranty from the store that would cover the printer failure 'no questions asked'. When I was just printing heat transfers for appliques at $2.50 a sheet what a shock when it came out so smudged and messed it was ugly..with long lines..totally unusable. The printer was purchased on June 7, 2010 so I took it back to Officemax, which decided I had misunderstood their 'warranty' and they would get me in touch with Epson personally (since their friendly computer didn't know what I was talking about) and, besides, EPSON was the responsible one since the printer was only 5 months old. That was two days ago. Also I had just installed all new ink in the printer so it would make nice copies..another $50 in their pocket! Isn't that swell??
                I left the printer at the store..but I did keep all the paperwork and receipts. They have not called back. That was two days ago.

Since Epson obviously do not care to honor your warranty and neither does Officemax I am reporting this to the BBB, the Attorney Generals office, Consumer Protection..of course those have not the clout they used to have due to our giving corporations such a big break to do business 'honorably' But NOT an Epson and NOT at Officemax and to NEVER gut a warranty as they are a BOLDFACED LIE.

June Swanson

pobarjenkins Nov 12, 2010

Have you called epson yourself? Have you been doing things with the printer that are not intended to be done? Is there any surface damage to the printer?

It was pretty stupid of you to leave the printer there. Sometimes companies try to repair your model rather than replace it.

• Ea
                    eachmorning Nov 13, 2010

Did you ever take the time to read the Epson Warranty that came with the printer? Have you read the paperwork that came with the MaxAssurrance? The Epson Warranty covers any problems with the printer usually for the first year, except for accidental damage or negligence. Once that warranty has expired, the MaxAssurance gives you similar additional protection for whatever period of time that you purchased for. Though the MaXAssurance should cover accidental damage, depending on what plan you purchased.

So while Epson has warranty for first year and thus responsible for repairing or replacing the printer, you're upset and yelling at Officemax. You can easily go to Epson's website, or call there 800 number, and then if you're not satisfied you can complain to the BBB about Epson.

Now when the one year Epson warranty is up, and you have problems with the printer, usually you're just plain out of luck and might as well throw it out and get a new one. But, with that additional Officemax Max Assurrance, your printer is still covered under a warranty similar or better than what Epson provided that first year. For a second or third year, your printer is covered. It will be repaired or replaced, free of charge, depending on what's wrong with it.

But if your printer is only 6 months old, then you're fussing and complaining about Officemax over something that you've already paid Epson to take of.

Office Depotrude employee

Rude Customer Service‎

Visiting the Montrose Store on Sunday October 11, 2010 an employee named Jason asked if I needed assistance. I stated I had a question and waited while he finished with other employees. After asking my question he began to be rude, claiming to know all there is to know about Windows products and when I told him he was not knowledgable of adaptive software he was even more rude.

I said never mind, I would go some where else and walked off. Jason then began to shout at me across the store to continue shopping. When I reached the otherside he began shouting to others about the incident. I walked up behind him and stood quietly listening to the insulting remarks. When he finished he turned and saw me. I stated next time you should wait till your customer is not in hearing range. Turned and walked off he shouted at me to get out of 'His" store. I said no I had every right to shop there. He said he would call the police I said go ahead.

He humiliated me, and upset me. I tried to call for my husband and he continued to insult and upset me. I am blind and needed my husband to leave the store. I did ask to speak to the store manager he claimed he was the store manager knowing all the while he was not.

I asked for his name and he told me husband to get me out of the store so he could give my husband the information. I said no and my husband supported me. He then proceeded to throw something at my husband. I told him he would be hearing from my attorney.

This is the worst I have ever been treated by an employee of Office Depot- Just becasue I am blind did not give him the right to treat me with disrespect and order me out of the store. Please do not shop with Office Depot until they openly apologize and treat customers with disabilities with the respect they deserve.

pobarjenkins Oct 10, 2010

I'm not sure he treated you so badly just because you are blind. He may have just been a jerk.

Also it's not very polite to tell someone they are not knowledgeable about something.

• New Visions of America Foundation, Inc Oct 10, 2010

So far there has been one to tell me not to show my butt since I was the one spending the money, and another to ask about lighthouse for the blind, another wanted me to buy NFL jerseys and another again judging me for saying never mind.

Each should be so kind to remember the next time they are treated rudely by a customer service representative.

• New Visions of America Foundation, Inc Dec 20, 2010

The Students of Strayer University need to join forces and make this private institution respect its students and stop biting the hand that feeds them.

pobarjenkins Dec 21, 2010

You accidentally messaged me, not Brenda.

• New Visions of America Foundation, Inc Dec 21, 2010

Thanks for the info I clicked in her reply link sorry.

Office Depot Recycle Scam — ink cartridge recycle scam

Office Depot's Ink Cartridge Recycle program is a complete scam!!! I hope all customers will read my...

Office Depot — fake delivery

To Whom It May Concern, I will never ever order from Office Depot again. I ordered on September 1st and...

OfficeMax — maxassurance rip off

I bought a nice chair from Officemax less then 2 years ago. When I was in the check out line, the employee...

Office Max Max Assurancebogus &assurance& plan - waste of money!

This plan is completely bogus! I purchased a 3-year plan for an office chair that stated "About the only thing MaxAssurance doesn't protect against are failures caused by abuse or misuse of the covered product." For chairs, the plan said it covered "Normal wear & tear to upholstery, including seam separation." When the mesh fabric tore in the middle of the seat cushion, I called MaxAssurance. It claimed the tear is NOT covered because it did not constitute a seam separation, and ONLY seam separations are covered. It also said that no fabric tears are covered. The company wouldn't even send someone to come look at the chair. I spoke with the representative who answered the phone and her supervisor, neither of which were helpful (nor attorneys). COMPLETE WASTE of my money in purchasing the plan. Highly recommend you DO NOT PURCHASE THIS PLAN!

• Th
                        TheWayItIs Nov 07, 2010

The fact the the plan administrator put you through the ringer as if you were on trial is a complete travesty. Going through terms and conditions as if you are a perpetrator rather than a customer is exactly what the warranty companies do - find a way to reject your claim. Get the name of the Regional VP and contact the office. I'm sure there will be some kind of accomodation. "Buyer beware" still dominates the law; you have better odds of winning at a casino than with an extended service contract.

Office Depot — office depot cancels order without good explanation

I bought 2 small cases of paper (5 reams per case) with a coupon code online and had selected to pick it up...

Office Depot — worklife rewards card

We have never gotten Worklife rewards card credits for discounts on purchases although this account wa...

OfficeMax 15% restock ripoff

I have to say that Officemax is a total ripoff. We paid a thousand dollars give or take for a laptop and when we got it home it did not work. We returned it three days after the sale and they had the audacity to tell us we had to pay a 15% restock fee and they refused to waive it!!! Then to make matters worse, even though we paid cash they said they did not have the money in the store to refund the purchase and would have to refund the money to my credit card so I had to wait another week to get my money back and to go somewhere else to buy a laptop that actually works! The staff was rude about it and actually seemed to feel like it was justified to take my money from me for an item that was defective. I had to pay these people 150.00 for their mistake!. Why in the world would anyone shop there? How can any store sell you an item and STEAL 150.00 from you when it does not work. I have bought major electronics from many stores and have never been robbed like this from anyone. In my opinion this is no different than stealing. Please think real hard before buying anything expensive from this place because if you get home and it does not work, you WILL be forced to pay 15% of the purchase price if you return it. BAD FORM Office Max. You have lost a good customer and if you keep this up I doubt you will be in business very long.

• Ea
                          eachmorning Nov 13, 2010

You should go to the Officemax.com website and at the bottom of the page look for the Customer Service phone number or email. Though there are many national chain stores that have a restocking fee, the 15% stocking fee shouldn't apply for a faulty item. Be specific about the problems with it.

As far as a cash refund, no they don't have that much cash or any 'petty cash' fund available on site. Doubt that any average size retail store does, including Kmart or Walmart. They have armored car service that makes routine cash pick ups to. I think you may be confused about doing the return to your credit card. If they offered to make the return to your credit card, then the money should be readily available in a couple of days depending on which bank/company you have it with. It is the return by Corp Check that would take about a week to process and be sent out.

• Bl
                          blue180m Jul 21, 2011

First off, you don't understand what it costs the company to take back your product that has been opened. They cannot resell it, so they just lost the full amount of the product that you spent. In comparison, a meager 15% means nothing. Second, if the laptop was defective, why didn't you just switch it out with another laptop of the same kind? The restocking fee disclaimer on the back on the receipt and on the sticker placed on the laptop clearly state that you can exchange a defective item for the same item at no cost (and that if the item is opened, it is subject to a 15% fee). You never stated that you didn't like the laptop other than that it was defective. So why buy a different one at a different store when you could have got the same one there at no hassle? The real truth is you didn't like the laptop and wanted a different one. The restocking fee is good because it prevents people with no ethics like you from just going around testing out products and returning them and costing businesses hard earned money. In addition, you act like OfficeMax is the only store that does it, but others stores like Best Buy, Office Depot, and Staples do it too. If you want to know the truth, you robbed OfficeMax of $850 dollars; they did not rob anything from you.

Office Maxwrongful termination

Great employee, full time employee assistant Manager. made 9.18 an hour. Gave great customer service! Was terminate under grounds of conflict of interest, because he built computers and did some repair work for employees and store manager on side and didn't even charge for some of his services. He had one warning because he called of sick, one day, and tardy one day. All the other managers were always late! The other managers are making 16.00 an hour and why? You have sick time and vacation time. if you had stomach flu would you go to work and take a chance of effecting others? no! You are entitled to call off when you are sick. The Store manager is two face and heartless woman. I hope she enjoyed all her free computer service.

Office Depotcharged for items never picked up

I have bought two items at office depot online for store pickup

A laptop and a set of blanks DVDs
                          After I placed the order I never got the next mail saying ready to pickup

I had this experience once when I did get ready to pickup mail but they didnt have the item

I did go to the store after 2 days and checked with them and they said they dont have the order in the system..so fair enough, I thought may be thats the reason I didnt get the ready to pick up mail

To my horror, I noticed last night, that those two items were charged against my credit card its almost 4-5 months ago.This is disturbing and I feel so ripped off.

Their customer service is bad, as I said I had to run around them to get reimbursement an year back when they charged but never delivered the item.Now need to go and check if they really returned that money an year

Where should I go

Office Depotstole my money

Office Depot in their ultimate wisdom thinks that consumers should deal with their products no matter if it is what you want or not. Basically you buy it is exactly what they are saying, it is yours.

So if you need the next one better in their technology department then you own both if your stupid enough to shop there. This is one company that needs a major corporate overhaul. It may be legitimate what they are doing but it is majorly un-ethical to steal from your customers for corporate profit.

I know I will attempt to avoid their product at all costs. And I hope I can sway many others to the same idea. This company needs to go out of business. Their is no room for their kind in the world of merchandising.