Complaints & Reviews

Office Depotdefective office depot product

Purchased pack of 25 Office Depot brand DVD-RW. After finding 8 out of 10 being defective with visible defect marks on the disks, contacted Office Dept via e-mail, received confirmation that someone will contact me within 24 hours. After 3 days with no reply, I sent a thank you note for their level of care. Received reply that they cannot locate my statement. Explained the defective product that bears Office Depot name and the fact that they should not knowingly sell defective items to consumers as ALL of the said DVD-RW's were puleed off the shelf yet, they sell packs of 50 for $5 via net?

I was told I just had a bad batch with NO offer to replace the product that has their own name (Office Depot) printed on them. What a glorious way to honor your establishment's name and commitment to quality control.

I take the loss as with all the current lawsuits against you, you'll need to panhandle but, I will never spend a penny at your store again. Major electronic and office supply stores are within 3-mile radius.

OfficeMax perks reward is scam

Office Max Perks is a Scam. Purchased a printer for $300 at Office Max and clerk signed me up for Office Max Perks. Received the plastic card with bar code and was told I had received a $50 reward for in-store credit. Went back after a few months to purchase new ink cartridges with my Perks card and was told I would have to log in. The store doesn't keep track of the "Rewards". Went back home and logged saw my original purchase and the $50 "Reward". Printed it out and went back to the store. Said they couldn't honor it, because I waited too long and didn't really have any "Rewards". Told the clerk I didn't (and still don't) see any expiration date. Gave me an 866 number to call.

What a bunch of baloney. Logged on to Amazon.com and found the ink cartridges for 40% less than Office Max. Do your self a favor and shop online.

• Co
        consumer 1 Dec 13, 2010

Officemax customers,
        Watch out for the officemax double reward scam.
        They will not credit your rewards as promised.
        You need keep up with your rewards, otherwise they will scam you out of your earned rewards. Do not call them, contact them thru email so you will have the record.
        I do not shop at office max anymore and will not ever. I have been ripped off by them too many times.
        Staples lot better with reward progrom.

Office Depot Onlinelate delivery

Office Depot online shopping is horrible... you will not received your order by the expected day.. nor the next day.. it will take them up to a week or more to deliver an item that you could've purchased elsewhere and receive it the next day.

OfficeMax — scam

I want to generate bad publicity for OfficeMax here and tell the rest of the world my horrible experience...

Office Maxreturn policy

Never buy anything from office max if you are mailing it as a gift. I bought my daughter a computer for christmas and mailed it to at her. she is a travel nurse in another state. I didn't realize she had just purchased one... so she goes to return it...in san jose... along with the credit card receipt which had to later be mailed to her. office max would not credit back the credit card. they would only issue a merchandise card. story here... never buy from office max. furthermore, it doesn't even make sense. no cash was requested. the request was credit back to the original form of payment. I could understand it if it was for cash back and no receipt. what an outrage.

• Je
            Jesse Grace Jul 23, 2008

We as consumers need to quit buying anything from a retail store that treats customers as they treated me! During an effort to move across the state, I bought a $65 set of Ink Cartridges for an older HP Inkjet Printer to use in sending out resumes. Having already boxed my printer cable, I was unable to use that printer as I had intended. After our move, and after unboxing all our stuff (including our newer HP OfficeJet), I was in Morristown, TN and saw an Office Max Store; I went in and discussed the situation with a lady at the counter explaining to her exactly what I had done, (item, cost, time, etc.) and that I would like to bring the cartridges back and instead, get a new set for my OfficeJet. She said that it would be no problem giving me a CASH refund if I had my receipt. She proceeded to tell me if I wanted to go ahead and get the new cartridges that all I had to do was bring the others in with my receipt, to get my CASH back. So, I went ahead and bought the OfficeJet cartridges (another $60 something dollars).

When I returned the other day, with the unopened cartridges and my receipt to get my CASH back, they reneged and would not give me my money. Instead, they insisted on a giving me a gift card. Needless to say, since I don't need anything from Office Max right now, I don't appreciate them taking my money, lieing to me and forcing me to use a gift card for something I don't really want, or need. Obviously, if I hadn't been misled and if the lady would have told me that in the first place ... I would have done the return first and then purchased the new cartridges with the card. A swap out, if you will. Anyway, I will never buy another thing from Office Max, period; and I hope you will consider going somewhere else yourself.

Their attitude ... they just shrugged their shoulders and blamed it on Corp. policy and their cash register/computer program. Corporate ... had the same attitude over the phone!

There are too many decent people/businesses out there that we can help by giving them our business, we don't really need, nor can some of us afford to have these big box retailers always pushing us around. Please consider this the next time you buy! Corporate policy is only as good as we allow it to be. Otherwise, they change it to suit us, or they're out of business. After all, who keeps them going? Think about it ... tell everyone you know, and go to Staples or Office Depot! Thanks ... there is power in numbers!

• Ge
            getoverit Aug 28, 2008

The registar does prompt on returns over 30 days to be returned to a giftcard even if you have a receipt. Go ahead and go to OfficeDepot or Staples everyone has policies and procedures and you as consumer nee dto quit acting like everyone has to do it the way you want. Get over yourself

• Ro
            rowantheelf Jul 19, 2009

Do you really think any other big box store is going to treat you differently? Did you read the return policy on the back of your receipt and were you inside the return date? If not then you need to speak to a manager, not a cashier.

• De
            DemInCO Aug 08, 2009

Please DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM Office Max.

Superior CO Store- I returned $3.25 worth of stuff with receipt, but I had lost my credit card. They would not post the credit back to the card AND the would not give me cash back. Forcing me to take the refund on a Office Max gift card. They hassled me for 30 minutes, asking me for all forms of ID. Worst customer experience- the cashier and the manager were cut from the same cloth of -We dont care for customers.

• Sn
            Snowball4 Jan 19, 2010

purchased laptop as xmas gift before xmas . told return policy was 14 days - i said it was a gift - they said "oh well, you;re stuck with it." $320 laptop we can't use...this was in Tunersville NJ store and the 800 (lack-of) customer service line.

• Ke
            kenx12 Jun 30, 2011

According to their return policy (which is ###ed BTW) if you return a "technology" item after 14 days you can only get store credit.
            I purchased about $225 worth of network cabling that I ended up not needing, while I was on the road. when I returned home I went to return these items and was told that because they were "technology" items and it was beyond the 14 days I could only get a store credit.
            If you don't know network cables are about as technical as a lamp cord.
            I will never spend another dime at office min

Office Depot - Ativaworthless warranty

I purchased an Ativa Camcorder which worked great for 5 days, however after that the battery would no longer charge? I could power the unit off the A/C adapter, but that's it. I have a friend who purchased the same unit, so we swapped batteries to see if it was just the battery and guess what...you guessed it, it still did not work with his battery...Tried calling customer service at both Office Depot and Ativa and they both offered a gift card exchange rather than simply exchange the unit for another one. Idiots said that was all they could do, even though I had bought a replacement service plan. When I asked the customer service rep at Ativa about getting a refund for the service plan I purchased he said to keep it and use it for whatever I bought with the gift card. I sarcastically said what if I buy nothing but zerox paper, are you going to give me a 2 year warranty for that? Idiot...

• Re
              rector Oct 02, 2013

The shredder green light comes on but will not shred. Also there is a red on a small symbol nest to the on light.

Officemax - Low Price Guaranteefalse advertising

Officemax advertises a low price guarantee. In fact, its website has specific instructions on how to have something price matched. When you go to get the low price guarantee, they tell you that it does not include sales at other stores (Office Depot, Staples, Target etc) because these are special events. This is a total rip-off and false advertising!

Office Depot — service contract

On June 11, 2008 I purchased an HP Laptop at the Office Depot Store in Houma, La. (all of this is supported...

Lockport

Office Maxrude and bad attitude

Take your business elsewhere. This company goes out of its way to make things difficult for its customers. Their products are poor quality, break easily, and are usually over-priced. Check-out lines are unreasonably long. Simple problems are difficult to resolve. Corporate policies are rigid.

It's almost impossible to return or exchange defective merchandise. They give you the run around. It took numerous trips and phone calls to the daytime store manager and corporate headquarters to get simple matters resolved! In one case, OM told me to contact the vendor, who in turn informed me OM signed a contract to warrant the products. The vendor stopped doing business with OM because of similar problems.

Store personnel and manager treated me like a criminal for once trying to return Office Max merchandise without a receipt. I am a well-known and frequent customer.

I've called to ask whether product is available in the store, been told the store will hold it for me, then find out it's not there after making the long trip.

The 'manager' who works evenings and weekends has no authority to make the simplest decision. He's really little more than a shift manager, not a store manager. Yet, he makes statements about Office Max policy. For example, he claims it's at the manager's discretion whether the store honors a competitor's advertised priced. Made similar claims about returning defective merchandise. He's rude, makes nasty comments, and gives himself airs.

I just bought an electronic item for a X-mas gift. The cashier said it had a 14 day return. I asked whether there was a special extended returns policy for the holiday. She asked this evening 'manager' whether he would 'allow' me to return it after 14 days! Mr. Arrogance thinks this policy is at his discretion, too! I'm taking it back. I'll buy gifts that aren't tainted by a poisonous attitude. Fortunately, I can get these items for a good price via many outlets.

The ink re-cycling program is supposed to build good-will and customer loyalty. This store 'manager' dislikes customers who recycle cartridges and use these coupons/credits. He complains often. Why should customers have to listen to this? Office Max sells the refilled cartridges for a hefty profit.

Cashiers made mistakes accrediting my cartridges. The Office Max customer service center staff yelled at me! for the cashiers mistakes! Like I was a naughty child. They told me they would adjust it 'one time only.' I expect accounting errors to be corrected each and anytime they occur. I contacted corporate headquarters. I now have the secret telephone number to the Caspar, Wyoming office in charge of this program.

I try to steer my company's business away from Office Max.

It shouldn't be this difficult. This company does not like its customers. The company's rigid policies hamstrings its store managers and makes a mockery out of the phrase 'customer service'. Office Max's poor attitude explains why this company is in the toilet.

The good news - Office Max makes Staples look good! After numerous terrible experiences with Office Max, I'm far more appreciative of Staples, the flexibility given to their store manager, and their corporate teamwork. I want Staples to have Big Box competition, but I only wish Office Max to R.I.P.

• Sn
                  Snowball4 Jan 19, 2010

The 800 number service is worse than the face-to-face.

Supervisor Nicole (?) was rude and nasty and hung on me when I asked to speak to her supervisor. Trying to upgrade a computer...very very nasty.

• Mi
                  mismngmntiswhy Apr 28, 2012

all true

OfficeMax unethical business practices

"Aboslutely unprofessional and worst online ordering system that I have seen...ordered online toshiba hdd and swissgear backpack...the order got automatically cancelled after a weeks waiting...would never buy anything from officemax...they should be sued for their unethical business practice"

Officemax.commisleading online pricing - order cancellation

Over the weekend, I purchased an external hard drives which I thought it was a pre-black Friday bargain. I even ordered some additional things in order to receive free shipping. After several days, I have received an order cancellation notice even though I received an order confirmation notice when I placed the order online. Apparently, OfficeMax.com had made an error which resulted in the lower pricing; therefore, I was informed that the entire order has been cancelled. They also claim that they have the disclaimer somewhere during the purchase to cover situations like this.

My problems is that OfficeMax waited several days before they cancelled and I did miss out on several deals from Dell.com and Newegg.com. I was surprised that such a "reputable" retailer take such action to fix their mistake by simply cancelling the order without offering any other offers. Many online retailers in the past have honored the orders if the fault is at their end. I guess I will think twice before any good offers show up on OfficeMax.com website. More likely, I will not even bother to visit the site anymore and let others know as well.

I strongly feel that OfficeMax.com should honor all purchases made before they discovered their mistake.

• Sh
                      Shamo Dec 02, 2009

Do Office Max have Conditions of sale on their online store that cover this type of situation ?

• Da
                      Damsel in distress Jan 01, 2010

Office Max online ordering is terrible, and I would not advise purchasing anything from them online. I ordered a 1T external drive for my son for Christmas, the UPS driver left the parcel on the porch of my apartment complex. Well needless to say someone stole it. OK so Office Max has informed me if I want to get another one soon, that I would have to pay for another one until UPS credits Office Max back. Please understand that I have been waiting almost three weeks for this issue to get rectified already. I guess Office Max do not care about their customers nor do they have partners that care about handling negative matters in a timely fashion.

• Of
                      Officemaxcomplaint Oct 26, 2010

It happened to me in the similar way.I agree the cancellation if they cancelled immediately but they cancelled my order after 1 week stating that price mismatch.

Item purchased on Saturday
                      As per order it should come within 3 working days
                      I called them on Thursday
                      Received confirmation from them that it will shipped by Friday
                      But Friday received an cancellation email from officemax

Office Depothorrible service

I purchased a new laptop from Office Depot on 8/12/2009. With the purchase I bought an extended warranty for which I completed an online registration. The salesman and information included promised a free windows 7 upgrade once available. When the time came 3 months later I visited the windows site to discover a photocopy of the sales receipt was required, but I no longer had it in my possession due to the fact it was needed for a mail in rebate. I visited the store from which the purchase was made and spoke with the manager on duty. He told me that he could not find a copy of the receipt and that it was my responsibility not his. He also incorrectly informed me that the free upgrade had ended. He gave me the 800 number to office depot to request a copy of the receipt. I called the number and gave the total amount, date of purchase, and card number (all recorded from my bank statements). I was again informed that they could not provide me with a proof of purchase of any kind. Back to the uncaring manager, he said there is still nothing that can be done for a computer less than 3 months old with an extended warranty. I asked that because the plan included accidental damage that I could just drop the computer and force him to replace it with the new system. He agreed that this is what would happen. I cannot understand how poor the customer service could be on such a large business. I will not purposefully break the computer because after no help, I am concerned the there will be another loophole the will not allow me to have the computer fixed or replaced.

• Kr
                        Kristomania Nov 25, 2009

Don't cry because things don't go your way. Don't wait three months to figure out if you can get upgrade.

• Br
                        BrianJfrk Dec 13, 2009

Same thing happened to me!!!

• Pe
                        peace love Jan 01, 2010

So you don't keep a copy of your receipt when you mailed in your rebate? OHHHH... and that's Office Depot's fault?~!?!?

Office Maxfalse advertising

I had a coupon for $10.00 off at Office Depot. The closest Office Depot to us is about 2.5 hours away. I researched Office Max and they state they accept competitors coupons. I tried to use the coupon and was told they actually don't accept competitors coupons. So I wrote to customer service via their website.

This is what I wrote: This is regarding a coupon for $10.00 off a qualifying purchase of $30.00 or more. I took this Office Depot coupon to our local Office Max because your company states "We accept competitor coupons: Bring in another retailer's coupons, and we'll honor it*. Well, in Elko Nevada that is far from the case. I was told I could not use it there because it was not an Office Max coupon.

And this is what their rep, Chris Mobily OfficeMax Customer Service Direct/Dotcom/Retail Rep, had to say about my inquiry: "We do apologize, but OfficeMax does not match competitor's coupons. Please sign up for our MaxPerks loyalty program to receive future OfficeMax savings and coupons. To sign up for our program please visit http://www.officemaxperks.com".

• Jg
                          JGooch Oct 27, 2009

Ironically, I am a member of the Max perks program and have been trying to get my points/credits straightened out for about 6 months now. That issue is for another post.

As of today, 10/27/09, their website still states:" We accept competitor coupons: Bring in another retailer's coupons, and we'll honor it*. *See your local OfficeMax store associate for details". This is from the Office Max website page addressing "Every Day Values" http://www.officemax.com/home/custom.jsp?id=m3230047

Noncomplainer Jan 05, 2010

Office Max does not offer to match competors coupons, nor is it avertised on their website or instore anywhere.

office depot credit plan — closing acct raising interest rate

back in feb they closed about 5000 account holders for various inane reasons. since then they have raised our...

Office Maxprinter cartridge recycle program

After getting laid off during the economic downturn, my son worked for Office Max for 9 months as a bridge to returning to Grad School. He had to move to another city to attend grad school so he transferred from one Office Max to another after 8 months of employment as an assistant manager.

While working at the first Office Max, he inquired with his manager if he could partake in the Printer Cartridge recycling program which paid $3.00 per cartridge (max 10/week) for all working and empty printer cartridges. His manager didn't know and told him to call Loss Prevention to inquire. Loss prevention indicated that employees were encouraged to recycle and that he could recycle up to 10 cartridges per week, just like a customer.

My son then purchased 100 used cartridges for $1.00 each from a seller on EBay who did not live close enough to an Office Max store to take adavantage of the program and turned in 10 per week per the programs guidelines. When he completed his recycling, he used the gift card to purchase office supplies and a new laptop for school (over $600.00 worth of product) and paid the balance from his own funds.

Upon transferring to the new Office Max, he worked for a month before he received a better job offer through the University with better hours and working in an office as opposed to a retail environment. When he turned in his 2 weeks notice, he immediately began receiving harrasment from his management team telling him that he'd better fininsh his scheduled shifts (20 hours/week which he intended to complete) and not burn his bridges (which he did not intended to do). 7 days after turning in his notice, he was pulled into the office and questioned by the manager and the same loss prevention person he had spoken to earlier about his fraudulent use of the printer cartridge recycling program, basically telling him that they thought he was stealing printer cartridges that had already been turned in and then recycling them again. The questioned him for half an hour and asked him to write a statement. When he completed his statement, they wouldn't let him leave the office until he added some other comments to his statements basically stating that he would pay back the entire $300 he had earned if Loss Prevention found him guilty and requested repayment. They then handed him a form that told him that he had admitted to fraudulent behavior and that the lawyers would be investigating him and he could face termination (ha, he had already resigned). He was then told he was being suspended indefinitely while Loss Prevention and the Lawyers investigated his activity (not very likely that they would bring lawyers in at thier bill rate to investigate a potential $300.00 fraud case but a nice scare tactic to try and get someone to just admit fraud and pay back the money).

He was told he had to call back in 5 days to find out what would happen and that if he didn't he would be immediately terminated (7 days from this date was his last scheduled work day so he was done either way). When he called back on day 5 he was told that the person that he needed to talk to was on vacation and wouldn't be back for a week and that he should call back then. Later that day he received a phone call from loss prevention thanking him for his cooperation and telling him that he had been found to have not broken any laws or Office Max policies (thankfully, he kept all of his receipts from EBay and from when he recycled the cartridges) and that they now considered the matter closed. He then asked if he should show up for his shift that evening and was told that no, his shift had been covered and that he did not need to report to work that day or the next (his last day was the following day). He then asked if he would be paid for the 27 hours that he had been scheduled to work but had been suspended due to the investigation which found him without fault and they laughed at him.

What a great company, an employee betters himself and finds a job that he doesn't have to work weekends and nights and gets to work in an office using skills from his degree and gives 2 weeks notice and they retaliate by accusing him of fraudulent behavior and suspend him without pay with absolutely no proof. It would have been better for him to just resign and walk away with no notice but he has way too much integrity for that.

Office Depotovercharged

I just returned from our local Office Depot store where we have been a customer for over 7 years. We printed two 18x24 posters today (which we print often) and the total came to $127 after our 2 for 1 discount! The regular price is only $44 each, but today's price is over $60 each. When I inquired as to why, I was told the discount was for the print only - not the laminating and mounting. Okay - but why then are two posters costing me $127 instead of the normal $96 WITHOUT the coupon?? I should not have asked - the look and attitiude I got from the rep and the asst manager was enough to make me realize that our relationship with Office Depot was over. They ended up giving me the two posters for $48 like the coupon offered, but I had to ask myself why? If you are going to treat me like *+%# and therefore lose my future business, why give me the discount?? You still let me leave without an apology for trying to stick me for $80. Although our local Staples store is a further drive, I'd rather give our business to someone who at least appears to care that we chose them as a vendor. Don't waste your money or company resources on vendors with poor customer service - it is killing small business in America.

• Le
                              leonislamination Nov 24, 2009

As far as I know, office depot is a large company...If anyone who would likt to import laminating pouches and rolls, kindly contact us.
                              www.leonislamination.com
                              Leonislamination Co., Ltd
                              [protected]@leonislamination.com

OfficeMax — very bad

It may look weird for some to review a place like Officemax but I had to let everyone know about them. For...

Office Depot — double charged

I placed an order on officedepot.com. They charged for the entire order the day I place the order. The day...

Office Depot — false advertising

Went to the store today to make some purchases. My daughter a customer was with me and she wanted to purchase...

Office Depotunauthorized billing

On 3/9/2009, I called the Office Depot toll free number to place an order. The male operator began making rude female jesters. I requested a different individual to handle the call. He laughed and in a sexual manner stated there's no one here but me. I said, "no thanks" and immediately ended the call. Within minutes, I called the same toll free number and spoke to a different operator at Office Depot. The order was placed, then I requested to have a coupon added to my order. I was told the order was already processed, and it was too late to add a coupon. I wasn't aware that I had to mention a mailed coupon before giving my credit card information. Before the call ended, a group of males in the background began making loud references to the call I had made earlier. Overly attempting to annoy me, the male operator's voice gave an impression of rudeness in his call completion statement. I did not make a comment, but I called back in twenty minutes and cancelled my order.

Office Depot charged my credit card $83.12 on March 9, 2009; and, after eleven polite requests to refund my account, they have not given credit for the cancelled order. I was given an order number: [protected]-001. Office Depot operator Nesia said she sent the request to resolution, but I have spoken to their resolution department. On 3/25/2009, my credit was approved. Kurt said, "The request was forwarded a third time. There was a note for approval. His supervisor was notified, and he alerted the billing department."
                            I have also tried online to receive credit. The only response has been a conversation with an Office Depot operator.