Nicor GasGas Service

I purchased a property in Elgin Illinois that is a foreclosure property and didn't do a home inspection since I knew the bank won't do any repairs anyway. After the closing I called Nicor gas to tell them that I was the new owner of the property and need to connect service. Since the previous owner didn't pay the bill they disconnected the meter from outside of the home and they told me that in order for them to connect the service again it will take up to 8 weeks for them to send somebody to put a new meter. It is winter time and I told them that is impossible to live in a house without gas and all the told me is nothing they can do. I believe this is happening because they don't have any competition otherwise they will take care of the customers like all the phone companies. They know if they don't do what they are suppose to do we move to somebody else.