NewspaperArchive.comUnauthorized Charges

N

Aside from making it impossible to cancel the subscription I only wanted the trial offer for, they just charged me $17.99 on 4 CONSECUTIVE DAYS!!! Meaning even beyond the regular monthly fee I can't seem to get out of, they charged me an additional 3 times in one month. This company/site is a complete scam, and I don't understand how with all of the complaints against them, they're still in business. BEWARE!!!

• Fa
    F&B Oct 07, 2012

I believe if it was published in a newspaper article it had already been released to the public, you do not have any issue with "newspaperarchive.com" which is merely re-publishing previously published items.

• Cy
    cyber-privacy Jul 10, 2012

This service allowed several newspaper articles to appear on the internet, that delt with personal information, that was never
    to be released to the public. It would be simple for them to redac, or remove these articles, but they are more worried about the public's
    "right to know". Personal privacy is not important. The legal system has not caught up with the legal issues concerning personal privacy.It will, and services such as "newspaperarchive.com" will be forced to respect the right of personal privacy, or be sued!

• Cy
    cyber-privacy Jul 10, 2012

• Ju
    Julie Yancey Brennan Apr 21, 2011

So sorry this has happened to you - it just happened to me too. I wish I would have check them out. I had less than 12 hours before I was kicked off the system.

• Je
    J.Eagen Feb 20, 2011

I have the exact same situation and am logging my complaint. I was not advised of the recurring charge on my credit card, and when I thought since they charged it, I am going to use it then it said I couldn't log in to the website. What a scam, I am going to lodge a complaint with our states attorney general and news media. Maybe someone can get to the bottom of this. I cannot get a refund either. J.Eagen / MN.

• Vi
    vindog Sep 18, 2009

I too have a similar situation, and have logged my complaint here. I was not advised that the billing was recurring, and that they would not even let me know when they were going to rebill me. They have refused to refund the "new year" even though I haven't used it for a full year.

THEY ARE SCUMS.

• St
    Steve Dec 10, 2008

Same issue here. I was able to login the same day I purchased the one month and never since. Has anyone made any progress? If not, I am going to follow Mike's lead and file a report with the Iowa BBB and issue a charge back against my CC card.

• Gu
    Gus Wright Nov 28, 2008

I am having difficulties as well. I was very excited by the product, however I have signed up, and have not received any ability to log in. Good grief, how many people are being suckered for this one. In my opinion they have three days to make it right, or I will personally spread my message to all of my contacts, and to their contacts. This is no way to do business. I cannot believe in this day and age that people can get away with this. I am so unbelievably disappointed.

• Ni
    nick Nov 23, 2008

Same exact problem. WTF?!?

• Valerie Nov 15, 2008

This company took my money for a trial 1 month membership, let me log on once, then 4 days later when I tried to log in again they told me they didn't recognize my username and password. The 'e-mail me my username and password' function on their site was non-responsive. They have no voice customer service (that should have been my first clue), only fax, e-mail (which they do not answer, after repeated attempts) and snail mail. I've now paid for a service I can't access and customer service I can't reach. I've filed a report with the Iowa BBB, hoping that results in something. I now stand wondering whether or not that trial membership I can't exercise or cancel is going to go permanent and I'm going to see 10 bucks a month disappear from my bank account.

Don't do business with these guys. They are amateurs. Stick with the big geneoalogy pros on the web. They are professional and are responsive and committed to customer service.