Complaints & Reviews

refund

I requested a cancellation of my membership, then the drama begins: They wrote: We have received your...

Totaly useless

Buyers beware: avoid newspaperarchive.com. It is a complete scam. Once you sign up, they make it near impossible for you to cancel. I signed up for a year, but almost immediately realized my mistake. Unfortunately, as I said they make nearly impossible for you to cancel. I tried calling for a refund, but they refused and actually dared me to go to the State Attorney General. Obviously this company isn’t interested in keeping customers, only in suckering in new ones.once they have you money, they couldn’t care less.

They did however, “generously” agree not to auto renew my subscription. How nice. They might have got me this time, I can assure you it will not happen again and I want to make sure no one else makes this same mistake.

I know I have stopped at least 20 people from succumbing to their scam. I hope to help more people avoid it. I have spread the word at The Family History Center and intend on spreading it further. Avoid this website. Your subscription is practically worthless for all the information there is one that site. Save your money!

I am out 120 dollars for the year. I have to keep it, so I try and make use of it by dong searches for people for free. I might as well not. It is ridiculous how little information is offered on that site. Totally worthless.

• Fo
    fookoffvictoria May 18, 2020

They charged me $5.42 today. Way before my subscription was up. I signed up for a month free trial and I was going to cancel it 2 days before my account gets billed for the monthly paid subscription. I have emailed them about it and this lady named Veronica told me my card wasn’t billed at all but my incoming bank statements says I was billed $5.42 from Newspaper Archive! She also told me that she cancelled my subscription for next month and asked me my last 4 digits of my credit card so I answered them back. What should I do next? I’m afraid they’ll bill me for the next month coming or maybe sooner. Please help!

misleading

Newspaperarchives.com are liars and very misleading. I was looking for a particular newspaper which when I asked newspaper archives they responded they have (1) article found. When I subscribed with my credit card I was billed 71.88. I immediately contacted my credit card company to stop the payment which they did. Exactly 8 minutes later newspaper archives went back into the credit card and processed the transaction and now I'm stuck with this subscription for (1) year and cannot find the newspaper article that i was looking for. In Canada, they (newspaperarchives) only offers newspapers from Manitoba, Alberta provinces not Quebec or Ontario (which was what I wanted). Too Bad I haven't any use for this subscription I am stuck with for one year. Daphne Knott

• Te
    Terri L. Feb 14, 2013

I subscribed to this site in May of 2012. If you go to the website to see what their prices are it shows $29.97 per quarter, $47.94 per 6 months or $71.89 per year. I signed up for the quarterly option. The first quarter I paid $29.97, after that it renewed at $41.97.

You have to read the paperwork to find out it isn't really $29.97. I called to find out why the website gives one price and doesn't say on the pricing page that it goes up after the first period. He just kept telling me it was in the paperwork 3 times if I had read it. I tried to find out why they mislead you on the subscription price page, but he just kept repeating the same thing over and over.

It may be on the page below the information that you card will be charged $29.97 that it goes up, but when you look at the page that shows the prices to suck you in, it isn't there. It should say that it goes up after the first period, but it doesn't. It should say choose the price that is right for you, but that really isn't what you will be paying if you let it auto renew.

I will probably cancel when this period is up, I have signed up on another site that gave ancestry.com members a discounted price.

I hope it is a joke, when I used spell check here, it showed no incorrectly spelt words instead of spelled words.

site barely functions, no customer support

In the past few years I got a lot of enjoyment out of this large archive of old newspapers, and the archive end of it is good. But the functionality of the site, especially login, has been getting bad and getting worse. Customer support has never sent me a solution of substance, always blaming my computer, telling me to delete cookies, try a different browser, or call them during business hours. I have no problem with any other member site. I think they might have blocked me which is illegal since I paid for the service, blocked me because I live in the Philippines. If so they are going to have to give me back my money. But I don't want my money back, I want the site to be usable again like it used to be. This site went from awesome to bad to broken and I tried today one more time to get a response of substance from their tech support, but I have no hope. Another reason they might have blocked me is that I took advantage of a low price offer for a year and I think my account is now being treated as a last priority when the site is busy.

• Mr
    Mr Research Jul 15, 2011

Here's the robot email I got, same as always, with no indication that any human being read my complaint:
    Dear [name filled in by robot],
    Thank you for contacting us. To resolve your login issue, we recommend one of two options.
    • Delete your temporary internet files. OR
    • Use FireFox as your internet browser, which can be downloaded for free from www.firefox.com.
    If neither one of these solutions works for you, please let us know so we can assist with further with trouble shooting. If you would like to speak to a Customer Service Representative about your account, please feel free to call us at 1-888-845-2887 (M-F 8am-4:30pm CST).
    Sincerely,
    NewspaperARCHIVE.com®
    [email protected]

• Je
    JERRY83 Aug 23, 2012

I am a current member of newspaperarchive.com and i am so pleased with the service. I've never have any problems about recurring billings and stuff like that. I must say that i had some tech issues in the past that got fixed but that was it. The recurring billing is very common in most websites, if you don't call before your renewal date it will charge your card. As for unauthorized by the time you agree the terms you are authorizing them to charge your credit card. People PLEASE READ before you purchase from internet so you wont feel like you were rip off!!

• Ga
    Gavreeayl A. Yisrael Oct 22, 2012

Please cancel my subscription to NewspaperARCHIVE.com immediately. my account number is Acct. #794764. NewspaperARCHIVE.com is totaly useless to me. I subscribed last night on 10/21/12 and am canceling today 10/22/12. THANKS, Gavreeayl A. Yisrael. I tryed to contact you by phone but was not successfull.

• Sc
    S.C.S. Nov 21, 2012

JERRY83,

SCRUPULOUS companies send you an email reminding you that your account is going to be renewed and the renewal date, usually a week after the email, so you have time to cancel. Not newspaperARCHIVE. I'm guessing you have money to burn, since you said you've been a member for a long time. I don't. I used it once and cancelled. They can't find the cancellation. Even my credit card statement didn't have their complete phone number-it was missing the last digit. I'm sure that was due to customer complaints.

subscription policy

I signed up for a four month session. There is a VERY VERY VERY small print point about canceling before a...

bad business practices

These people have alot of nerve charging other peoples cards! They had me do marketing for them for months and then after my job was finished decided to have the cc company charge back for unrendered services! I can't believe the card company is holding it in dispute still. NewspaperArchive knows full well I did all that work for them! They are cheats.

no way to cancel subscription

There is no way to cancel a subscription to this website. I subscribed in order to do some research, chose the monthly debit option, and intended to cancel after one month, but the Customer Service phone number has a recording stating that there is no one there, leaving messages does not help nor does contacting them by e-mail. I suppose I will have to close my bank account in order to stop them from debiting my account monthly.

• Ju
    Julius9199 Aug 02, 2016

This website is a total scam. I got my on-line 7 day trial and then it automatically has been renewing since. I should have paid more attention to the fine print but it shouldn't be allowed in the first place. The first renewal was for a year at 71.86. The second automatic renewal was for 6 MONTHS at $99.95!!! That is for just 6 Months!! It is $200 a year! I guess that figured they had me when I failed to catch the first automatic renewal. Please don't try the trial either. It is very hard to get a hold of them to cancel it once you sign up for it. I tried and then just gave up, thinking I would try again later...which is what they figure is going to happen. Just a very clever and successful scam...

• Ne
    Neal R Wooley Aug 02, 2016

Swimming upstream would be easier than trying to use this web site.
    I got absolutely nowhere!
    I'll be opting out and kiss my money goodby.

marilyn samet Aug 02, 2016

had a 1 yr subscription (and gave another as a gift. It was impossible to access anyof the teasers that they sent via E Mail;...I was blocked by ads. And logging in was never remembered..and always a problem. I sent may messages about my resentment of their navigation system...but nothing changed.

• Pa
    PastMstr Aug 02, 2016

NewspaperArchives.com is the worst database resource I have ever used. I paid money and got nothing. I tried to contact their customer service numerous times and no one picked the tube during weeks. My emails left without answer too.

Fraudulent billing

I signed up for a trial membership. The terms of this agreement were that I could cancel the subscription within a certain time frame, which I did. Despite that, this company has billed me anyway for every single year in the last four years. That's nearly $100 a year.

I have provided written documentation of my cancellation, which indicates that I would never billed. I have tried to call numerous times, but can't get anyone on the phone. My bank has even conducted successful fraud investigations and has removed some of the charges.

Beware. Don't join newspaper.com. They will cheat you.

• Eb
    EbolI Nov 16, 2011

These people have a billing problem...I signed up for the monthly at $9, 99 per/ to be charged every 3 months at appx $29.99, but was continually charged $41.99. I spoke to customer service and was told that $29.99 was for the initial subscription, and time afteward the cost would be $41.99 every 3 months...which is not was they advertise on their web site...when I finally opted out they only reimbursed me $29.99...for some strange reason they hold on to almost 12 bucks in some sort of hidden fee.

• Di
    Dissatisfied ex-Customer Aug 27, 2012

AVOID NewspaperARCHIVE.com!

This company is very dishonest. I subscribed to their archive, but after attempting to download one article, found that it was too small to read the print so I immediately cancelled the subscription that day. I was immediately charged 29.95 on June 1, 2012 and told I would be refunded shortly, I think a week or two. I received no refund until on 8/1/2012 I disputed the charge with Visa. On 8/7/12 they credited my account. I recommend that no one does business with this sham of a company. It was a negative experience. Lousy service and they would not have refunded my money without the dispute. Shame on them.

• Mo
    MollieH Jun 16, 2014

Archives.com ran an add for an annual membership to NewspaperArchives.com at the special price of $71.88. I signed up and received an email from NewspaperArchives confirming my membership and informing me that I would receive my login information in a separate email. I did not get the follow-up email. I emailed NewspaperArchives asking for my membership information and never received a response. Today I called them and spoke with someone who identified herself as Laura (but is actually Dora according to her supervisor) who proceeded to tell me that I didn't have a membership with them, that my membership was with Archives.com. I read Laura/Dora the email informing be to contact [email protected] for any problems. Still Laura/Dora told me there was nothing she could do and refused to help in spite of the confirmation email

I next called Archives.com and was told by Lakita to call NewspaperArchives.com and that others had complained of the same treatment. After being put on hold for 5 minutes, Lakita said she would refund the $71.88 and I could purchase the annual membership directly from NewspaperArchives.com which, by the way, is $99. When I told her that I wanted the same deal that was offered me, she would only honor the refund.

Next call was back to NewspaperArchives.com and this time I was connected to Liz. Liz was far different than Laura/Dora. She actually fixed my login and emailed me the information so I could successfully logged in.

Although I was able to login in the end, I believe there is something nefarious about these two companies. First they told me that they are unrelated, but how is Archives able to refund money from a company they are not related to? Also, why does NewspaperArchives.com have all my information when they say I don't have account with them? I won't be renewing my membership when the year is up.

• Wi
    William Beasley Jan 30, 2019

Bad company...steer clear...dishonest

deceptive billing practices

I signed up for 3 month subscription and assumed I would get an e-mail communication about renewal (they...

total waste of money

Total scam, when you try to cancel, 18 minutes after signing up and they won't let you, you know that...

fraud

WITHOUT NOTICE VIA EMAIL, NewspaperArchives.com automatically renewed my subscription. Two days after the...

Rip off

I was researching obituaries and came across advertising for Newspaperarchives.com. I was interested so I clicked on the link that said 9.99 for a month. I didn't notice the tiny print that said billed annually. I was billed for a whole year for 119.00. I checked on a few obituaries, births, and marriage records. The database did not return any of them. The database is apparently very limited. I wasn't happy about any of this so I called asking for a refund and was refused. I sent email asking for a refund and was also refused.

I am not able to use the service since it appears the state I need info on doesn't return anything.

This company is dispicable in their practices and certainly doesn't run a good business ethically.

I really would like to get my money back. I'm not a wealthy woman and I don't like paying for something I can't use.

• Sh
    Shari in CA Dec 09, 2009

Completely agree - I signed up over a year ago, and have not used the site since. Just last month I was billed $119/mo. I never agreed to this, and when I called to complain, they refused to refund, and told me I had to email the refund department - no phone #. I emailed back and forth and they swore they sent an email notification prior to charging my CC (which they did not). I finally got them to agree to refund all but $17.95 after 6 or 7 emails. As with you, I found the site useless and not user friendly hence why I quit using it back in Nov of 2008. Beware of these guys!

[Resolved] rebilling without authorization or notice

In August 2008 I signed up for a subscription which I intended to use for a month to review newspaper articles for my deceased nephew who was killed in a tragic trucking accident (killed while riding his bicycle.) I did not find any articles of any use.

I noticed on my statement that NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM billed me $128 for another year of subscription; I had no notice, no idea I even had a renewal (and if I did, I would not have renewed anyway because they suck.)

I contacted the company and let them know I have not used the service since that time, and had no intention of using it. They sent me an email saying I was not eligible for a refund, citing their policy on renewals. They claim that most people that use their services don't want to know when they have been billed for another year.

I think these people are using deceptive practices and should be investigated. I highly recommend that anyone considering using them know that they will try to get a years worth of billing no matter what the situation.

RESOLVED

• Cu
    Customer Relations Director Sep 21, 2009

To prevent lapses in service for our customers, our subscriptions are set up to automatically renew as per the period agreed upon. This is covered in our Terms & Conditions as well as via email communication showing the next expiration date and renewal period based on the subscription period you chose. At any time our customers can cancel their subscription prior to the renewal date.

However, we do recognize that some customers overlook this information upon sign up. If you will please contact me, I can take a look at your account and remedy the situation

Thank you.

Pam Williams
    Customer Relation Director
    1-888-845-2887

• It
    itsmecyndi Dec 29, 2016

I've called and only get a machine and left my info, no calls back. I've emailed asking you to stop billing the monthly fee and you keep billing it. you owe me two months of billing. I want this to stop, immediately!!

refund, missleading

I would like newspaper archive to credit back to my account 71.88 because even though a total year amount i...

refund

i need for your company to DEBIT MY ACCOUNT 71.88 back because while im sure your website is genuine, it wa...

Content unavailable, due to &OUR& problems

I became a member of NewspaperArchives.com in June, 08. For two months, I was able to get information, but since that time, I have not been able to get into my county and some surrounding counties in Pa. My local newspaper is definitely unavailable ALL OF THE TIME "Due to errors and they are working on this and please be patient". It's been since the latter part of August and still it is not fixed. I have sent many letters, and their answer was, it should be one week and that was two months ago. The last email they sent back to me was two weeks ago, and they said they have to take it SLOW because they might very possibly lose a lot of newspaper content. Surely they have backup in case of such a loss. They have extended my subscription 4 months, and that has been almost used up and still no "got your errors fixed". So what I think that once you pay (NO REFUNDS), they make it so that your local lookups won't work. Perhaps it is possible that they save money by doing that. So, in all I had full use of their archives for 2-3 months, and now they are having all kinds of problems, blah, blah, blah. Maybe they need better tech support. I want to warn you all, don't buy unless you have money to waste.

chaos82 Jan 05, 2009

Customer Service is non-existant!! I also had "technical" problems...I never could log in. After asking for my password for several months, never got it. So I tried to cancel it. I sent numerous emails, and never heard back. I eventually forgot, as we all do. Until I was billed again 3 months later. So I sent numerous more emails, never heard back. I called and left countless messages. Finally got a call back saying they needed my email address to cancel it. So I went to the site to get the customer service phone number again...and they have removed it from the site. (guess they didn't like those pesky customers calling!) So I now sent another email, and will try to send a fax today (that is what they offer for "contact") Absolutely rediculous.

Sad thing is I used the site several years ago, and it was great. Found lots of good info. So I signed up again a few months back... and nothing but a disappointment now...

• Aw
    awasner Dec 28, 2009

Hi, pay with a credit card and then their "no refunds" policy is not trumped by the Fair Credit Billing act. Anything that doesn't work right like this can be contested on your bill if you pay with a credit card, just be firm. I would like to say that your statement that they shut down access to your local newspapers is a bit paranoid. There is no massive conspiracy out to get you. Newspaper archives management and tech support is way too incompetent to even be able to shut you down. The service is wonderful when it works. Unfortunately a lot of the time the darn thing doesn't work. Writting tech support is a waste of time. They are very incompetent and unresponsive. What a shame it is, too.

renewed membership w/o my knowledge

On December 2, 2008 I wrote: On November 27, my your company debited $95.88 renewal fee for my subscription...

Content inaccessible

The website charged a subscription fee of $100 per year but began blocking my service provider IP numbers from access to the website, preventing me from viewing any content of newspaper articles in pdf format. This problem has not been remedied after repeated requests from me, verified by my internet service provider, who has tried unsuccessfully to gain access to the content of the website when using my username and password. I can gain access through large ISP such as AT&T, but not through my small, locally owned internet service provider.

• Bi
    Bibliophile Sep 15, 2008

After sending a copy of the complaint dated August 28, 2008 to the personnel of the website of Newspaperarchive.com, I received a great deal of help from them. With help from my local ISP, the tech support staff identified the problem and had the website accessible again within a week.

• Sh
    Sharon Sue Miller Nov 24, 2008

I have sent many emails and they have given me an additional 6 months on my subscription. Well, it's been four months and I am still unable to access many of the states and cities they say are searchable. They said they have had a broken server for over four months and are working on it??? Almost every newspaper they have in their archives in not accessible to me and they assure me they are working on it and it is going very slow because they don't want to have to rescan each paper or lose any of their records. HELLO. I wonder if they ever heard of a backup?? This is a fraudulent business. NO REFUNDS... Be very careful of this company. IT'S ONE BIG SCAM...

I've got half of the paper

I live at 1755 cliftview ave I only received half of my paper today 6-29-08. I would like to get the rest of my paper. I rely on my coupons. Thank you for your cooperation!!! This is the first time that it has occurred I hope that it does not occur again if not I would just rather buy it from the newsstand but I thought it would be more convenient to get it delivered but I see that its not I know someone is taking my paper if you put it in my mailbox they will not touch it so that is what I prefer that the delivery person do.

I know I will receive my paper if it's in the box.

• Vi
    vindog Sep 18, 2009

This is stupid. Has nothing to do with the website.

• Vi
    vindog Sep 18, 2009

This is a misdirected complaint. has nothing to do with the website.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices