NewspaperArchive.com Logo

NewspaperArchive.com

Having problems with NewspaperArchive.com?

NewspaperArchive.com reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jun 30, 2008. The latest review Debit card charge was posted on Apr 19, 2021. The latest complaint overcharge was resolved on May 29, 2013. NewspaperArchive.com has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 42 reviews. NewspaperArchive.com has resolved 22 complaints.

NewspaperArchive.com Customer Service Contacts

855 Wright Brothers Blvd. SW, Ste. 2A
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
United States - 52404-6309

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with NewspaperArchive.com Customer Service. Initial NewspaperArchive.com complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for NewspaperArchive.com above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about NewspaperArchive.com. Discuss the issues you have had with NewspaperArchive.com and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

NewspaperArchive.com Complaints & Reviews

NewspaperArchive.comCharged after cancelled service, would not return calls

Signed up for a 3-month subscription and generally satisfied. Followed instructions to cancel subscription on the day it expired but my credit card was still charged for the next three months. Repeated called customer service but never got past messages and they never called me back like the message promised they would. I sent emails with no response. The charge to my card for the second three months was $41.97 rather than the initial and advertized amount of $29.97.

• Ca
      Carol Hunter Sullivan Oct 29, 2012

I have cancelled this months ago and you have not taken care of my cancellation and refunded my debit the $29. This is very poor business. You will not acknowledge my requests through the email at all. This is not acceptable. Take care of this matter usap.

Newspaper Archives — Lousy customer service

I subscribed to Newspaperarchives.com last year because I'm employed as a military historian and I hoped...

NewspaperArchive.com — Unauthorized Charges

Aside from making it impossible to cancel the subscription I only wanted the trial offer for, they just...

Newspaper Archives — refund

I requested a cancellation of my membership, then the drama begins: They wrote: We have received your...

NewspaperArchive.comTotaly useless

Buyers beware: avoid newspaperarchive.com. It is a complete scam. Once you sign up, they make it near impossible for you to cancel. I signed up for a year, but almost immediately realized my mistake. Unfortunately, as I said they make nearly impossible for you to cancel. I tried calling for a refund, but they refused and actually dared me to go to the State Attorney General. Obviously this company isn’t interested in keeping customers, only in suckering in new ones.once they have you money, they couldn’t care less.

They did however, “generously” agree not to auto renew my subscription. How nice. They might have got me this time, I can assure you it will not happen again and I want to make sure no one else makes this same mistake.

I know I have stopped at least 20 people from succumbing to their scam. I hope to help more people avoid it. I have spread the word at The Family History Center and intend on spreading it further. Avoid this website. Your subscription is practically worthless for all the information there is one that site. Save your money!

I am out 120 dollars for the year. I have to keep it, so I try and make use of it by dong searches for people for free. I might as well not. It is ridiculous how little information is offered on that site. Totally worthless.

• Fo
        fookoffvictoria May 18, 2020

They charged me $5.42 today. Way before my subscription was up. I signed up for a month free trial and I was going to cancel it 2 days before my account gets billed for the monthly paid subscription. I have emailed them about it and this lady named Veronica told me my card wasn’t billed at all but my incoming bank statements says I was billed $5.42 from Newspaper Archive! She also told me that she cancelled my subscription for next month and asked me my last 4 digits of my credit card so I answered them back. What should I do next? I’m afraid they’ll bill me for the next month coming or maybe sooner. Please help!

NewspaperArchives.commisleading

Newspaperarchives.com are liars and very misleading. I was looking for a particular newspaper which when I asked newspaper archives they responded they have (1) article found. When I subscribed with my credit card I was billed 71.88. I immediately contacted my credit card company to stop the payment which they did. Exactly 8 minutes later newspaper archives went back into the credit card and processed the transaction and now I'm stuck with this subscription for (1) year and cannot find the newspaper article that i was looking for. In Canada, they (newspaperarchives) only offers newspapers from Manitoba, Alberta provinces not Quebec or Ontario (which was what I wanted). Too Bad I haven't any use for this subscription I am stuck with for one year. Daphne Knott

• Te
          Terri L. Feb 14, 2013

I subscribed to this site in May of 2012. If you go to the website to see what their prices are it shows $29.97 per quarter, $47.94 per 6 months or $71.89 per year. I signed up for the quarterly option. The first quarter I paid $29.97, after that it renewed at $41.97.

You have to read the paperwork to find out it isn't really $29.97. I called to find out why the website gives one price and doesn't say on the pricing page that it goes up after the first period. He just kept telling me it was in the paperwork 3 times if I had read it. I tried to find out why they mislead you on the subscription price page, but he just kept repeating the same thing over and over.

It may be on the page below the information that you card will be charged $29.97 that it goes up, but when you look at the page that shows the prices to suck you in, it isn't there. It should say that it goes up after the first period, but it doesn't. It should say choose the price that is right for you, but that really isn't what you will be paying if you let it auto renew.

I will probably cancel when this period is up, I have signed up on another site that gave ancestry.com members a discounted price.

I hope it is a joke, when I used spell check here, it showed no incorrectly spelt words instead of spelled words.

NewspaperArchive.comsite barely functions, no customer support

In the past few years I got a lot of enjoyment out of this large archive of old newspapers, and the archive end of it is good. But the functionality of the site, especially login, has been getting bad and getting worse. Customer support has never sent me a solution of substance, always blaming my computer, telling me to delete cookies, try a different browser, or call them during business hours. I have no problem with any other member site. I think they might have blocked me which is illegal since I paid for the service, blocked me because I live in the Philippines. If so they are going to have to give me back my money. But I don't want my money back, I want the site to be usable again like it used to be. This site went from awesome to bad to broken and I tried today one more time to get a response of substance from their tech support, but I have no hope. Another reason they might have blocked me is that I took advantage of a low price offer for a year and I think my account is now being treated as a last priority when the site is busy.

• Sc
            S.C.S. Nov 21, 2012

JERRY83,

SCRUPULOUS companies send you an email reminding you that your account is going to be renewed and the renewal date, usually a week after the email, so you have time to cancel. Not newspaperARCHIVE. I'm guessing you have money to burn, since you said you've been a member for a long time. I don't. I used it once and cancelled. They can't find the cancellation. Even my credit card statement didn't have their complete phone number-it was missing the last digit. I'm sure that was due to customer complaints.

• Ga
            Gavreeayl A. Yisrael Oct 22, 2012

Please cancel my subscription to NewspaperARCHIVE.com immediately. my account number is Acct. #794764. NewspaperARCHIVE.com is totaly useless to me. I subscribed last night on 10/21/12 and am canceling today 10/22/12. THANKS, Gavreeayl A. Yisrael. I tryed to contact you by phone but was not successfull.

• Je
            JERRY83 Aug 23, 2012

I am a current member of newspaperarchive.com and i am so pleased with the service. I've never have any problems about recurring billings and stuff like that. I must say that i had some tech issues in the past that got fixed but that was it. The recurring billing is very common in most websites, if you don't call before your renewal date it will charge your card. As for unauthorized by the time you agree the terms you are authorizing them to charge your credit card. People PLEASE READ before you purchase from internet so you wont feel like you were rip off!!

• Mr
            Mr Research Jul 15, 2011

Here's the robot email I got, same as always, with no indication that any human being read my complaint:
            Dear [name filled in by robot],
            Thank you for contacting us. To resolve your login issue, we recommend one of two options.
            • Delete your temporary internet files. OR
            • Use FireFox as your internet browser, which can be downloaded for free from www.firefox.com.
            If neither one of these solutions works for you, please let us know so we can assist with further with trouble shooting. If you would like to speak to a Customer Service Representative about your account, please feel free to call us at [protected] (M-F 8am-4:30pm CST).
            Sincerely,
            NewspaperARCHIVE.com®
            [email protected]

newspaperarchive .com — subscription policy

I signed up for a four month session. There is a VERY VERY VERY small print point about canceling before a...

NewspaperArchive.combad business practices

These people have alot of nerve charging other peoples cards! They had me do marketing for them for months and then after my job was finished decided to have the cc company charge back for unrendered services! I can't believe the card company is holding it in dispute still. NewspaperArchive knows full well I did all that work for them! They are cheats.

NewspaperArchives.comno way to cancel subscription

There is no way to cancel a subscription to this website. I subscribed in order to do some research, chose the monthly debit option, and intended to cancel after one month, but the Customer Service phone number has a recording stating that there is no one there, leaving messages does not help nor does contacting them by e-mail. I suppose I will have to close my bank account in order to stop them from debiting my account monthly.

• Ju
                Julius9199 Aug 02, 2016

This website is a total scam. I got my on-line 7 day trial and then it automatically has been renewing since. I should have paid more attention to the fine print but it shouldn't be allowed in the first place. The first renewal was for a year at 71.86. The second automatic renewal was for 6 MONTHS at $99.95!!! That is for just 6 Months!! It is $200 a year! I guess that figured they had me when I failed to catch the first automatic renewal. Please don't try the trial either. It is very hard to get a hold of them to cancel it once you sign up for it. I tried and then just gave up, thinking I would try again later...which is what they figure is going to happen. Just a very clever and successful scam...

• Ne
                Neal R Wooley Aug 02, 2016

Swimming upstream would be easier than trying to use this web site.
                I got absolutely nowhere!
                I'll be opting out and kiss my money goodby.

marilyn samet Aug 02, 2016

had a 1 yr subscription (and gave another as a gift. It was impossible to access anyof the teasers that they sent via E Mail;...I was blocked by ads. And logging in was never remembered..and always a problem. I sent may messages about my resentment of their navigation system...but nothing changed.

• Pa
                PastMstr Aug 02, 2016

NewspaperArchives.com is the worst database resource I have ever used. I paid money and got nothing. I tried to contact their customer service numerous times and no one picked the tube during weeks. My emails left without answer too.

NewspaperArchive.com — Fraudulent billing

I signed up for a trial membership. The terms of this agreement were that I could cancel the subscription...

NewspaperArchive.com — deceptive billing practices

I signed up for 3 month subscription and assumed I would get an e-mail communication about renewal (they...

NewspaperArchive.com — total waste of money

Total scam, when you try to cancel, 18 minutes after signing up and they won't let you, you know that...

NewspaperArchive.com — fraud

WITHOUT NOTICE VIA EMAIL, NewspaperArchives.com automatically renewed my subscription. Two days after the...

NewspaperArchives.comRip off

I was researching obituaries and came across advertising for Newspaperarchives.com. I was interested so I clicked on the link that said 9.99 for a month. I didn't notice the tiny print that said billed annually. I was billed for a whole year for 119.00. I checked on a few obituaries, births, and marriage records. The database did not return any of them. The database is apparently very limited. I wasn't happy about any of this so I called asking for a refund and was refused. I sent email asking for a refund and was also refused.

I am not able to use the service since it appears the state I need info on doesn't return anything.

This company is dispicable in their practices and certainly doesn't run a good business ethically.

I really would like to get my money back. I'm not a wealthy woman and I don't like paying for something I can't use.

• Sh
                  Shari in CA Dec 09, 2009

Completely agree - I signed up over a year ago, and have not used the site since. Just last month I was billed $119/mo. I never agreed to this, and when I called to complain, they refused to refund, and told me I had to email the refund department - no phone #. I emailed back and forth and they swore they sent an email notification prior to charging my CC (which they did not). I finally got them to agree to refund all but $17.95 after 6 or 7 emails. As with you, I found the site useless and not user friendly hence why I quit using it back in Nov of 2008. Beware of these guys!

NewspaperArchive.com — rebilling without authorization or notice

In August 2008 I signed up for a subscription which I intended to use for a month to review newspaper...

newspaper archive.com — refund, missleading

I would like newspaper archive to credit back to my account 71.88 because even though a total year amount i...

newspaperarchive — refund

i need for your company to DEBIT MY ACCOUNT 71.88 back because while im sure your website is genuine, it wa...

NewspaperArchives.com — Content unavailable, due to "our" problems

I became a member of NewspaperArchives.com in June, 08. For two months, I was able to get information, but...

NewspaperArchive.com — Renewed membership w/o my knowledge

On December 2, 2008 I wrote: On November 27, my your company debited $95.88 renewal fee for my subscription...