NewspaperArchive.comdeceptive billing practices

M

I signed up for 3 month subscription and assumed I would get an e-mail communication about renewal (they claimed to have sent one, which is false). I never received an e-mail informing me of the renewal information, nor of the one unsuccessful billing of my credit card when the expiration date changed, nor of the change they made from my original service from 3 months to the more expensive 1 month billing. All of these billings and adjustments were done with no contact to the consumer. My husband reviews our credit statements and didn't ask me about the charge. It never occurred to me that the subscription service could continue to charge me in this way without any contact! Avoid using this service! They tell me I agreed to the recurring charges when I signed up (believe me, this is NOT clear in their terms of agreement) and they claim they contacted me which is an outright fabrication. Underhanded, shady business practices, at best. Downright dishonest in my book!

• My
    my goodness Jan 28, 2012

They are suck!

• Fi
    fig333 Dec 01, 2011

Newspaper Achieve is stealing peoples money by charging their credit cards, then by not answering the phone to allow you to cancel your sub.

They should be put in Jail.

• He
    Here2do Jan 24, 2010

Unless you're brand new to the internet you should know that this is a VERY common practice. Any time you subscribe to a service assume that you will have to cancel the service, prior to the next billing date and sometimes several days prior, in order not to be billed the following billing period. I feel for anyone who isn't used to this type of practice and agree that you should have to opt in, not opt out, but again it is very common. Always assume that you will be re-billed after the first billing cycle. If you can't confirm the cancellation procedure prior to subscribing, I would suggest that you not subscribe.

Sincerely,
    Savvy Internet User

PS: I found this site while trying to figure out exactly how to cancel and whether anyone has had problems canceling, within the stated time frames.