Nationwide Insurancecancellation - debt collection

D

I have had nationwide auto insurance for 16 years and have had no complaints until I had to cancel. I cancelled my policy because 1) their rates were considerably higher then other companies when I added a second car; and 2) I moved to Florida and they do not operate in the state of Florida. Either way, my husband and I had to cancel our policy. We sent an email and written request per their instructions. They continued to bill us and did not acknowledge our cancellation request. When they did finally cancel our policy they then sent our account to collections. They never called, emailed or tried in any way to contact us about what they said we still owed. The first time I was aware that they were trying to collect additional funds was through a debt collection agency. I am confused. I thought debt collection agencies were for companies who had tried extensively to reclaim a debt and the customer refused to pay. That did not happen. We were not given the chance to pay before they went to collections. When I called customer service to have this rectified, they were not helpful.

• On
    OnlySpeakingTruth Jun 05, 2014

Same thing happened to me, except they sent the collections letter to my Mother's Work place! I called Customer Service and all they said is I should have paid the bill, (that I never received) and they couldn't help. They're so disorganized and unprofessional at Nationwide. You always have to call the Agent direct to get any help because calling the Customer Service line is a complete waste of time.