Nabiscopremium saltine crackers

T Review updated:

I have purchased two boxes of Nabisco Premium Saltine Crackers and they both have been contaminated with a toxic smell and taste. I have seen other complaints on this subject and I have contacted the company. I can't believe they have not issued a recall. This is a dangerous health concern.

• Op
    optomatt Dec 03, 2010

Just opened some that we had stored in a tin so no box. Crushed them into some tomato soup before realizing there was a terrible smell coming off the crackers. Smelled the plastic wrapper and it was the same. Wrongly figured that the crackers in the soup would not taste bad as the wrapper was what smelled. The most awful taste. Searched the web and can only find comments here. Nabisco has just lost my business.

• Ta
    tarnold Dec 10, 2010

I just had the same experience. Tasted like machine oil. We store the crackers in a metal tin so we had already thrown the box away so I don't have any manufacturer lot number. Something was horribly wrong with them.

• Da
    DaveB98 Mar 13, 2011

Just opened a bag and the whole box (from Sam's Club, so 12 sleeves worth) smelled like acetone or worse...WTF!

• La
    Laurie J M Dec 09, 2011

I agree, I had quit buying them, after 25 years. Whatever they have done to keep them crisp, had ruined the flavor.

manmers Dec 28, 2011

This just happened to me as well, what is going on, what could possibly have made that smell? Luckily I didn't eat any of them the smell was so overpowering there was no way I was putting one of those crackers in my mouth. I don't think this has anything to do with trying to keep them crisp...I think something is very wrong in one of their manufacturing plants. Why won't Nabisco explain what is going on, I've read complaints about this very thing happening to people for over a year now, but it obviously doesn't affect every package of crackers...

• Ec
    ecp2001 Feb 06, 2012

Ahhhh! I ate about 4 crackers in my soup tonight. 1st bite thought something was wrong, but i am a little paranoid. Second bite, definately something wrong. Went and smelled the box, horrible strong chemical smell. Can't believe i missed that! Afterwards, my belches tasted and smelled like the chemical, so I made myself vomit. Probably got most of it up, but now I am panicking. What was that??????? I can deal with stomach upset, has anyone had anything worse that I need to be aware of? I called the company's medical emegency line. No recalls or known issues with the product (they say).

Mary Leek Dec 29, 2012

I fixed some homemade mac and cheese last night and used crushed crackers on top. I noticed the crackers smelled a little funny, but they looked fine and were nice and crisp so went ahead and used them. My God - they tasted bitter and terrible. I ate one small bowl of the mac and cheese and lost it almost immediately and felt incredibly sick and nauseous all evening. Went back later and took another package of crackers out of the same box and opened it and yeech - stunk something awful. What on earth is this that we're getting in the crackers and why has there been no warning, no recall? It's been over a year since the first comments here and yet things are the same.

• Ka
    kathleen.m Feb 17, 2013

I just ate a about 13 crackers and realized that that had almost a fruity taste and smell, Im not remembering Saltines to be like this...I think the motor oil taste or smell would of been worse, but has anyone expiranced the almost fruity taste of these crackers? I wont buy these crackers again. No recall or or warning of change...thanks for these crackers I have enjoyed since I was a kid and changing them.

• Cc
    ccm2361 Mar 23, 2013

I have also experienced this awful chemical smell & taste from a new box of 4 sleeves. They were vile!

• El
    ELK25 Jul 01, 2013

Yes I too have had this same experience with our favorite saltine. definitely a chemical smell . I would like to know what it was. I have the box still so here are the numbers that I found on the box: 21feb12ag14 10:36 0405000845830004050008450100

• Lp
    L. P. Oct 02, 2013

My story is the same as the rest on this site. Opened a previously unopened box of saltines this morning and within seconds smelled this toxic odor coming from the box (like diesel fuel, paint thinner). It was overwhelming, and lingered in the room, to the point where we had to open a window and turn on the ceiling fan. Couldn't believe such a powerful odor came from this newly opened cracker box. It's still stinking in the trash can in the garage as I type. And to think, I was just about to serve them up to my ailing 80 year old father! Why on earth have there been no warnings or recalls of Nabisco products, especially with all the negative comments on this site and others, dating back as far as 2010? WTF!!

Jon in Wichita KS Nov 12, 2013

My experiences with the Nabisco four sleeve crackers box is in Wichita, KS. I started noticing them being smelly from a box we bought in August 2013. Recently we had repainted the pantry in our kitchen and we thought that the box had absorbed the odor from the paint or stain. Being a favorite brand of crackers we bought another box in September 2013 and found that they also had that smell of toxic odor coming from the box (like paint or paint thinner). It was disgusting and nasty! I can't believe such a small amount of product can produce such a powerful odor so I had to throw out that box as well! Bought another box and it was the same way! It wasn't until now November 2013 that I wondered if there had been a recall on the product and came to this website finding that numerous complaints have been realized as well as mine. Guess it wasn't the newly painted pantry after all! The toxin came from each newly opened cracker box. It still smells in a drawer that I had placed the cracker sleeves in for storage and removed them several weeks ago. How could so many boxes of Nabisco crackers get out into the public month after month after month without a thing being done to warn the consumer or rectify the obvious foul odor in so many boxes! I am going to recommend that people stay away from the Nabisco crackers as they have not fixed the problem to date November 2013. It appears that this issue has been going on for over three years as there was a comment back in Dec 2010! Sorry for the loss of such a previously good product!

• Dh
    Dhakbvu Mar 17, 2014

Contact your local news station they have programs like 7 on your side to help spread the word and because they do broadcast the problem if its not fixed and take further action, the problem is usually fixed. They help consumers dealing with companys like this one.

• Pr
    Protectionlady Mar 22, 2014

was looking. To see if there were any recalls because our box e
    smelled like paint!

• Cl
    Clearwater, Fl May 09, 2014

I have an old vintage Nabisco cracker tin that we had when I was a kid. I thought it was poisoning my crackers. Tied everything to clean the tin (which is in excellent shape and not dirty) as it has been going on for over 2 years. I have had this horrible chemical smell from every box of crackers I've bought! Tonight out of desperation I google it and found this site. It looks like its not the tin...its the crackers that are bad. I live alone and it does take me a while to eat them so they are around for a while. I didn't notice anything wrong when I bought the last box and ate part of one pack. I go to eat more today and they had that metallic/chemical smell again!!! I threw the entire box away. I loved saltines...:-(

Christine Elaine Sep 25, 2014

I opened a box of nabisco saltine crackers and they smelled like varnish. The smell was so bad it took my breath away. It was like being in a room of paint fumes. The taste was just as bad. The UPC# [protected]

• Bo
    bobbisue Dec 02, 2014

Had stored my saltines in Tupperware The smell was metallic and chemical The Tupperware is tainted and I can't get the smell out .I will have to throw away the crackers and the Tupperware .. The same thing happened to my 92 year old Mother last year.

• Ca
    carriek321 Jan 23, 2015

Was never a big fan of Saltines but my doc recommended I snack on them to help a low blood pressure condition. I don't taste chemicals but I find that they are almost always overdone as though someone had left them in 5 minutes too long. Now, after reading this web page, I wonder if that is to cover up the chemical smell from the packaging. Either way, I'll get my extra salt intake someplace else because these things taste lousy!

• Sh
    ShandaG May 03, 2015

My family and I had the same experience with a box of kroger brand of saltine cracker. Upon opening the box we got a powerful plastic smell, as if we walked into a plastic factory. We continued making meatloaf with the crackers. We were thinking that the smell was just from the packaging and surely wouldn't have an effect on the quality of the product, however that was not the case.
    After saying grace we began the consumption of the feast on our dining room table. After a few bites we began to discuss the odd stale taste coming from the meatloaf. For health and safety reasons we promptly tossed our meal into the garbage. Shortly after eating a few bites everyone confessed having a strange feeling in the mouth and throat. Curious about the events I decided to do some research. Surprisingly this is the only website I could find on the matter. I don't believe enough was consumed for us to expect any other symptoms that have been described in other complaints.
    It's disturbing to me that this has been going on as far back as 2010. Not to mention the fact that the public has yet to notified of this health hazard. They seriously need to put out a recall on the crackers effected. They need to make it their number one priority to find a solution.

• Ha
    Happy Christian Aug 31, 2015

My family just opened a new box of Premium saltines and they smelled awful. The smell was like plastic and like other people have stated we thought it was the box and the wrappers. My husband crushed up the crackers to put into soup and took one bite. This bite made him very sick. I would like to know what is going on. I will not buy this brand again.

• Gr
    grannynoone Sep 16, 2015

I loved Nabisco premium crackers for many, many years but for the last several years they taste awful. I don't know why, maybe they use less salt maybe it is something to do with fat issue (I can't imagine). I now have tried at least five other brands and they don't taste any better. I won't buy any saltines until someone, somewhere listens, cares, and fixes whatever is wrong.

• Ha
    Happy Christian Sep 16, 2015

The smell was so bad it made the food taste bad. Someone needs to do something.

• Re
    Reviewer92033 Feb 13, 2016

The Crackers had a strong smell through the box, so we threw them away. Don't have the exact date when we got them But it's been within the last two months. it's like we got them in January and went to use them in February, and they smelled so bad we just threw them away.. the next time we went shopping we got crispy saltine craclers. my wife like zesta but the way they smelled we haven't bought any since.

• Merlin Slocumb   Feb 15, 2016

I just ate a premium cracker and yuk! What is with the Sea Salt? I hope they still have the original crackers that I have enjoyed for many years. They keep changing their crackers... Stop doing that. Stay with what has worked for 100 years! If all they have now is with sea salt, I will switch to another company .

• Po
    Polly want a cracker Apr 13, 2016

I just opened a pack of your crackers and added some to my chili. I thought the bad smell I was sensing was coming from my hands, freshly washed in the restroom, and that the soap was the culprit. After I finished my lunch I realized it wasn't my hands. So I opened the pack of crackers that I had twisted closed with a rubber band to secure. They wreak! A foul smell, like serious B.O. A co-worker sniffed it, nearly choked and said it smelled like some kind of pesticide. I'll be taking this back to the Martin's or Kroger as soon as I find a receipt for their purchase.

• Ni
    NicoleDE Jul 29, 2019

These crackers will NOT holding up! I am trying to eat my chicken salad and these dam things keep crumbling into BITS. This is NO GOOD...

• Cr
    Crackers in Texas Sep 10, 2020

Found two cracker paper tubes in a four tube 1-lb. box, to be incompletely sealed. Crackers were stale. Tried calling Mondelez Global customer service number and it was overloaded with messages and not accepting any. The recording said to go to www.snackworks.com for assistance. I don't see any way to contact Customer Service or management on this site. How does one leave a message to report a production problem to this company? This kind of customer service is making me suspicious.

• Ro
    Roz and Bill Oct 24, 2020

I had one Nabisco Premium Saltine Cracker after my wife had put them in her soup. As an engineer I thought the horrible taste was that of a weedkiller or something similar to chemicals used in manufacturing processes. Now I am waiting to see if my wife or I get sick and saved the crackers for investigation if needed.