Menu
MyHeritage
reviews & complaints

MyHeritage
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

358 complaints
205 resolved 153 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claimed
This account has been claimed by MyHeritage customer service / representatives through our verification process.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of MyHeritage. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages

MyHeritage - Unauthorized PayPal charge

I signed up for a free trial in September 2021. I deleted the account the same day. My PayPal account was charged today, October 12, 2021 for $94.34. I don't even know what that amount is for - a month? A year? The account doesn't exist anymore, so I can't even get into the website to try and do something about it there. There has been no email or other type of communication from the website, to warn of an upcoming charge. I want a complete refund ASAP.

Desired outcome: Refund of complete amount - $94.34

1:19 pm EDT

MyHeritage - Subscription charge

I have been trying to speak to someone via phone and email for days and no one is getting back to me and I am starting to feel Like I have been scammed.
I had a free trials of the My Heritage website and cancelled almost immediately as it was no good for me, but they took an annual subscription fee out my account.
I recieved no emails whatsoever up until then and I then received my very 1st one which was the receipt.

Desired outcome: Subscription refunded

B
8:03 am EDT

MyHeritage - My cash app card had an unauthorized charge of $94.56

To whom it may concern,

I have been charged $94.56 on my bank account. I did not authorize this charge...also and over draft fee of $35.00. I have reported this as fraud. My bank will dispute this charge as well. I want this reimbursed ASAP. The number on the bank charge is S588170828518360. I did not make this charge. Please remedy this immediately. My phone is [[protected]]. Please contact me as soon as you can.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter,
Brendan Zammuto

Desired outcome: My $94.56 returned immediately

Update by Bmore1234
Oct 06, 2021 8:19 am EDT

The company was my heritage.com ltd. And my issue should not be resolved on your end. My email is bzammuto11110@icloud.com the card was 6771 visa that was charged .The same account also tried charging 200.00 8 times but luckily my card was off. Please respond immediately.thanks

Brendan zammuto

O
2:32 am EDT
MyHeritage has left an official reply on this complaint.

MyHeritage - Je n'ai pas reçu les résultats de deux envois de prélèvement ADN envoyés au mois de juillet..

Je n'ai pas reçu les résultats de deux envois de prélèvement ADN envoyés au mois de juillet..Les numéro sont les suivants :
LS 01 266708 8 FR Code activation : MH4QB3C3
[protected] Code activation : MH884M8J
Le paiement a été effectué par carte bancaire le 29/07/2021 pour 118 €
Mon mail est [protected]@gmailcom
ou [protected]@wanadoo.fr

3:50 am EDT

MyHeritage - discrepancies in DNA-findings with twin sisters

Dear Sir/Madam,
a couple of weeks ago I ordered a MYHeritage DNA kit for my wife. Delivery was speedy, activating the kit and taking the DNA sample without problems. And off it went to your lab in Texas. The results took a while to come, but now they have arrived.
The outcome, however, has left my wife thoroughly confused. And I for myself think that this ethnicity distribution asks for an explanation. Why? Well, let me explain:
1. My wife has a twin sister who, too, has had her DNA tested. Her DNA results show the following:
78% Welsh
12% English and North Western European
7% Scottish
3% Eastern European & Russian

2. My wife's results as extracted from her DNA sample by your lab show the following:
81, 3% Irish, Scottish and Welsh
8, 5% Eastern Euopean
5, 7% Finnish
2, 6% Scandinavian
1, 9% English

These are some quite significant discrepancies, to say the least.

3. Moreover, my wife's great grandfather originally came from Split, in today‘s Croatia. He emigrated to Britain, where he married.
Logically (Biologically) one would assume that there should be at least traces of his Southern European origin to be found in the twin sisters‘ DNA.
My wife and her twin sister would appreciate it, if you could shed some light on these rather strange findings because presently they are close to believing that this whole DNA business is a scam.
Yours sincerly,
Guenther Ihrenberger

12:09 pm EDT

MyHeritage - Having bought premium but it is closed now?

Hannes Fuchs
Account number: [protected]

Hi,
I bought a premium account last year and have been editing photos all year.
Since three days my account is not accessible anymore and a new one is opened, but that was not me.
Please could you unlock my premium account again,
yours sincerely
Hannes Fuchs

Desired outcome: Reactivate my Premium Account please

P
11:50 am EDT

MyHeritage - Taken money without notification when on month trial

Hi wanted a month free on my heritage so added all my information about 10 days after this they took £78.99 from my bank without notification emailed and phoned was told they were going to refund but still haven't recieved they are a deceitful company asked for the phone number as I could contact billing myself told there wasn't one I find this ridiculous quick enough to take money when u ask for it back they tell u what u want to hear they can't even explain why money was taken in first place I'm the only one contacting them after doing so they send an email with a ticket number and then I'm forgotten about never came across such a terrible company and there meant to be so helpful they are not I have all the emails with ticket numbers plus proof I've sent what they asked for which was proof from bank showing money taken

Desired outcome: Refund

MyHeritage - Don’t know, never heard of them

On 8/12/21 $299.00 was taken from my account without my knowledge or consent. This is a large amount of money for someone living on social security. I need that money desperately. Please, how do I get my money back? I don't even know how they got into my account. I have never purchased anything from them. Is there any hope at all? I have been succinct and to the point but now am rambling because I was told my complaint was too short!
Linda Jacobson
125 Horse Creek Trail
Middlesex, NC 27557
USA

Desired outcome: Return of $299.00

10:10 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I was contacted by this business last year and I agreed to make one, single payment, but I did not agree to a recurring annual financial charge and I would like to have this recurring charge discontinued, permanently, please.

12:08 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I maintained a premium subscription with MyHeritage from at least [protected], then reverted to a basic (unpaid) membership on completion of my genealogical research. In June 2021, I renewed my premium ("complete") subscription and found to my dismay that my family site was dysfunctional in that it prevents me from exercising my right, as the site manager, to...

8:26 pm EDT

MyHeritage - Functionality of Family Website

I maintained a premium subscription with MyHeritage from at least [protected], then reverted to a basic (unpaid) membership on completion of my genealogical research. In June 2021, , I renewed my premium ("complete") subscription and found to my dismay that my family site was dysfunctional in that it prevents me from exercising my right, as the suite manager, to add, edit and remove site content. Specifically, I have been unable to:
1. Edit the 9 existing "news articles" and their multiple attachments that I had written and posted on my family site from [protected], to describe and document my research, or to create new articles, even though these options remain displayed on the site.
2. Add descriptive text to the the photo albums I had created on my family site (also a displayed option)..
3. Rearrange photos in a logical order on the site.
I repeatedly contacted MyHeritrage Support, to no avail. I then asked for the name and e-mail of a senior executive; without receiving a response.

Desired outcome: I want family site @MyHeritage. com restored to full functionality so that I can edit and add content, as is my right as the site manager.

E
10:06 am EDT

MyHeritage - Payment taken without notification

I had a subscription with My Heritage for 1 year ( account ID [protected]), I believed I had stopped the renewal. I did NOT receive any pre warning emails that the renewal date was approaching, I did not receive an email to say a payment was going to be taken and I DEFINITELY did not expect £166.80 to the taken from my account on 17th August 2021.
I think this method of billing is immoral. Everyone should be told in advance that a company is about to remove money from your account, it gives you time to plan what it is you wish to do. I feel you do this so people don't cancel and you can rip them off.
Then you charge separately for data! Now asking for more money so I can see records - even after taking an extortionate amount of money from me when I hardly need to use the system as I have already built my site as far as I need.

Desired outcome: refund and cancel

12:52 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Wat do u think u are doing taking g money out of my acount with no authority

8:41 pm EDT

MyHeritage - Unknown product

July 28 2021
Your charges for $322.92 on 7/23/2021 ref# 7697 was not approved by me. I do not know what product you are selling that cost $322.92 So if I do not what I am paying for. PLEASES A refund also how you got this card number
As shown there is no address or product name. So I cannot give you the info that you ask for. I tried www.blsmyheritage.com it said I was not a member
REPETE HELP

Desired outcome: NO CHARGES

Aug 04, 2021 6:58 am EDT

Hi Carl,

I would be happy to look into the charge and assist you with an explanation and refund, but to do this I will need to locate your account. Please contact me via email at isabelle.vipsupport@myheritage.com with a link to your review. From there we would be glad to assist.

Regards,

A
9:57 am EDT

MyHeritage - Unethical Behaviour

This website charges a pretty penny for a subscription. They billed me when I didn't expect it. I only wanted to do a trial and forgot about cancelling before being charged.

I accepted my fate, as it was my fault in the end, I should have paid attention.

What is unethical is that they DELAY the information coming to the subscriber, only releasing a certain amount at a time, forcing the subscriber to pay more money in the future to gather the rest of the information as it slows down their research.

Extremely unethical, and I want my money back.

Desired outcome: Refund

M
10:38 am EDT
MyHeritage has left an official reply on this complaint.

MyHeritage - £194.99 taken out of my account.

Emails for refunds go unanswered. £194.99 taken from my bank account now leaving me in financial hardship.
I paid for a year subscription and then cancelled it before the next year was due. But they have taken another year subscription out again and the cost is more than the previous year.
I need this money to live on after losing my job recently.

Desired outcome: Refund immediately

12:57 pm EDT

MyHeritage - My account

I have been unable to contact My Heritage to cancel my subscription which is due for renewal on the 13th. I now find that I have had the monies deducted from my bank to the tune of £166 two days early and on a Sunday to exacerbate the situation as there is no one to answer the phone. I am left deeply frustrated and wondering if the Sunday withdrawal is a direct ploy. It leaves me in some financial difficulty which, with the pandemic I could well do without.

Desired outcome: I want my account cancelled and the monies repayed in full

Jul 13, 2021 3:41 am EDT

Hi Kevin,

We are truly sorry to hear this and I would like to personally assist you with a refund as quickly as possible. Please email me at isabelle.vipsupport@myheritage.com from your registered email, and include a link to your review.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

3:05 pm EDT

MyHeritage - Unauthorised debit

On the 30 June 2021, My Heritage made an unauthorised debit to my account for a 12 month subscription. I never received any kind of notification that my subscription was coming to an end just a debit to my account of almost $130.00 more than I paid for the previous years subscription! I would have appreciated being given the opportunity to choose whether not not I wished to renew my subscription. If I had been asked whether I wanted to renew my subscription I may have said yes but there is no way I will deal with My Heritage again. I want a refund of my money but my have emails to My Heritage go unanswered. - Kerrie

Desired outcome: REFUND

Jul 05, 2021 4:33 am EDT

Hello Kerrie,

I am sorry to hear you were unexpectedly charged.

Please be advised that MyHeritage informs all of any charge and its price on the automatic e-mail that is sent out after you enroll in a subscription or free trial. Also, one may view the status or cancel an annual subscription at any time when logging in to MyHeritage from the My Purchases page and incur no annual charge.

Your experience is very important to us and we value the satisfaction of all of our members. This is why our terms and conditions read that if you are not satisfied with your purchased plan you may request a full refund by contacting Customer Support within thirty (30) days of the initial purchase date of the subscription.

I would be more than happy to assist you personally with issuing you a full refund. In order to do so, I’m going to need to locate your account.

Please send me a message from your registered e-mail address at isabelle.vipsupport@myheritage.com so I may assist you with this as soon as possible. Please include a link to your review.

Kind regards,
Isabelle,
MyHeritage Team.

G
5:50 am EDT

MyHeritage - Customer service

I have been billed today after a free trial, i have been in hospital after an attempt to take my own life and didn't cancel in time. I have cancelled my subscription and requested support on refunding the amount taken. I have tried to contact through the website, sent mutiple emails, and have just tried to call them only to be held in a cue for over half an hour in position 1, then hung up on. I cannot afford to lose this amount of money. My free trial ended today and i have tried to contact them within an hour of noticing the charge. I'm struggling at the moment. Please help me.
Grant balcombe. [protected]

Desired outcome: Refund of subscription cost and call time, and an apology for hanging up my call

Jul 03, 2021 7:15 am EDT

Hi Grant,

Thank you for reaching out, we are truly sorry to hear this.

I see from your account that you started the 14 day Free Trial of our annual Complete plan on June 19 2021. We sent a confirmation email with all the details to your registered email address at MyHeritage, and as you did not cancel the Free Trial before the expiry date, you were automatically charged.

But we are a refund-friendly company and the refund has been issued and may take up to 3-5 business days to appear in your account. An additional email has been sent to your registered email address with the credit note attached.

Our apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. If there is anything else we can help you with, you are welcome to contact me personally at isabelle.vipsupport@myheritage.com from your registered email address and include a link to your review.

Kind regards,

L
12:23 pm EDT

MyHeritage - Huge automatic bank withdrawal amount

I paid nearly 200 dollars for a wife's DNA test and color enhancing photo feature, out of nowhere my bank was billed for 299 dollars, a huge amount for essentially nothing. Annual renewal? There was no notification this would be billed, and it was a long time ago I started with them. The company has no phone number that works from my cell phone, they say only a landline phone number will work... This is a scam for money!

Desired outcome: Refund from the 6/29 bill