Having problems with MyHeritage?

1800 817 330 (Ireland)
1800 731 768 (Australia)
+1 800 987 9000 (USA & Canada)
+44 800 098 8125 (United Kingdom)
+64 800 995 069 (New Zealand)
+43 800 802 582 (Austria)
+32 80 026 102 (Belgium)
+45 80 820 132 (Denmark)
+31 800 240 0013 (Netherlands)
+27 800 980 785 (South Africa)
3 Ariel Sharon Street, 4th Floor
Or Yehuda
Israel - 60250

Complaints & Reviews

dna test kit

Hi, I have purchased about 6 kits up till now but I had to pay import taxes for only the last three shipments. The packages seem to have been shipped from Germany while the issued invoice has an address in Israel. If from Germany, since Cyprus is an EU country then surely there must not be any import duties. If from Israel, then why do the packages indicate that the shipment originated from Germany? Also I could not contact you by any phone number listed on the help link of your site, why is that?

Thanks

George Poullados

• Updated by Elena MyHeritage Team · Dec 20, 2018

Dear George,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and I'd like to further follow-up on it.

I've located your MyHeritage account and escalated your inquiry to our Billing team. They will contact you directly via your registered email address to personally assist you.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via [email protected] and I will be happy to help you.

Elena, MyHeritage Team

Resolved dna kit not received by myheritage yet

To whom it may concern: I am writing to whoever would be able to give me feedback because I have sent my DNA...

Resolved dna results

I was excited to receive my DNA results! I received them today 12/6/2018, 2 months after I paid. What a waste of money! It shows I have 0% Italian ancestry! WHAT! My grandparents both were born and raised in Italy and still have family living there. They came to the USA from Italy in the early 1900's. What a waste of money! Sorry I can't leave 0 stars!

• MyHeritage's response · Dec 07, 2018

Dear Mr. Shaffer,

I am sorry to read you are unhappy with your results.

I can completely understand your surprise upon receiving them. I have no doubt that your grandparents are from Italy but I would like to offer an explanation regarding your results.

In some regions of the world, there is a unique set of genetic characteristics that are shared between the offspring of native populations. While different populations migrated from one region to another, research has shown that these sets of characteristics make some regions distinct from others, allowing us to establish a genetic model for some regions of the world.

The DNA may be very similar between people in neighboring countries. Where there isn't sufficient statistical difference, we keep the Ethnicity Estimate on a higher regional level. Even when there is a statistical difference between ethnicities, it is true for the population's average. Your DNA will always be slightly different from that of the average population, and may, therefore, show a small or a significant part of neighboring ethnicities.

Each person receives approximately 50% of their DNA from their mother, and 50% from their father. The percentages of DNA a person receives from their ancestors at the level of grandparents and further back (great-grandparents, etc.) are not necessarily divided evenly in each generation. At seven generations back, probably less than 1% of the DNA comes from a direct ancestor. It is possible that one great-grandparent may have passed on 3% of their DNA to their great-grandchild, while another great-grandparent may have passed on 11%.

Over the last thousand years, people in Europe moved around frequently and often mixed with people from neighboring regions. Over time, the official borders changed and so did the population. It is very difficult to find a reference population with statistical difference between ethnicities in this region and we keep the Ethnicity Estimate on a higher regional level.

This might explain some surprising results in your MyHeritage Ethnicity Estimate. Please also note that bio-geographical estimates are complicated, especially for countries in Europe. Different researchers analyzing the same DNA of a person can come up with different estimates based on a number of different factors, including the reference populations used for comparison, the algorithm, and more.

If you have any further questions regarding your results, I would be happy to assist you personally. Feel free to contact me at [email protected]@myheritage.com with your queries.

Resolved no feedback

I ordered the DNA kit and it arrived in about 2 weeks, I send it back about three days later, now almost 2...

dna cheek swab samples

MyHeritage send me the empty DNA kit with no further warning that in some countries it might be not possible to post such items. I payed for the kit, now I am not be able to post it back to the company, because all carries refused to take DNA samples according to the instructions from ministry of health.

It is so much irresponsible actions, they should have told us, not just take the money and hide. They don't even reply emails.

Johnny MyHeritage Team Nov 30, 2018

Dear MyHeritage User,

I am sorry to read your low star review and to read about your experience in contacting our support center. Issues such as these are really important to us and I will do all I can to help with high priority.

In order to assist in the tracking of your kit, I will need to locate your account on our system. Please email me from your registered email address to [email protected] so I can assist you promptly.

I eagerly await your response.

John,
    MyHeritage Team

Resolved dna test purchased today (11/26/18)

I had purchased a DNA test from here today & when I checked my bank statement I was charged for 2 (two) DNA tests. I called & talked to a person named Ivan about it as to take off the 2nd one & once talking decided to cancell my original as well as the other one & to just refund me back my money. He asked me to send a copy of my 'pending' statement to have it cleared up & the billing department would get in contact with me once they recieve it. I did send the statement photo in & still haven't heard from them yet. I did contact my bank also..

• MyHeritage's response · Nov 27, 2018

Dear MyHeritage member,

I'm sorry to read about your complaint here.

Issues such as these are extremely important to us and I will do all I can to ensure your refund.

Unfortunately, I am unable to locate your registered account with the information I see here on this website. Therefore, please e-mail me [email protected] so I can straighten everything out with high priority.

I will be looking for your e-mail.

Rafael
    MyHeritage

Resolved delay in receiving my dna kits

Dear Myheritage, I made an order for a total of two DNA kits over two weeks ago and I remember reading that...

Resolved my abo - ich bin sauer!!! habe meine email adresse geändert und komme nirgends hinein

Ich bin seit 11.06, 18 Mitglied (Dienstleistung [protected] um 107, 88 Euro), habe meine Email geändert und...

charged $119.40

I made an account in October or so when I wanted to do a little research in my family and only used it for a day or so. I had full intentions of deleting my account but I have been very busy these past few weeks and could not check my email. So you'd see how it would come as a shock to check my bank and see that I had been charged for $119.40. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!! I need to know what I can do to get this money back as I need it for other expenses. I would be very grateful for a response or some sort of help

• Updated by Erudaski · Nov 17, 2018

I haven’t used this account since the i made it and i did not receive ANYTHING that told me they were going to charge me

Johnny MyHeritage Team Nov 17, 2018

Dear MyHeritage member,

I regret to find that you were charged for an annual membership without knowing of the annual membership charge and I will do all I can to help.

Firstly, I must clarify that MyHeritage informs all of the annual charge and its price on the automatic e-mail that is sent out after you enroll in the membership and after every renewal. Also, one may view the status or cancel an annual subscription at any time when logging in to MyHeritage from the My Purchases page and incur no annual charge.

Your MyHeritage member experience is very important to us and we really do value the satisfaction of all of our members. I would be happy to assist you personally with canceling your membership and issuing you a full refund. In order to do so, I’m going to need to locate your account.

Please send me a message from your registered e-mail address at [email protected] so I may assist you with this as soon as possible.

John,
    MyHeritage Team

Resolved incorrect dna results

My ID is [protected].
On my father's side of the family there is a lot of Blackfoot Indian. More specifically, his mother (my grandmother) was 100% Blackfoot Indian. Yet my DNA results show 0% American Indian. Please have someone take another look at my test and verify the results. I am not expecting a big number but surely it has to be more than 0%. Thank you.

• Updated by Elena MyHeritage Team · Nov 14, 2018

Dear MyHeritage user,

I'm sorry to read your low star review. It is important to note that even though you have Native American ancestry, this does not necessarily mean that this genetic heritage is included in your DNA and might therefore not appear in your Ethnicity Estimate.

Each person receives about 50% of his DNA from his/her mother, and 50% from his/her father. The percentages of DNA a person receives from their ancestors at the level of grandparents and further back (great grandparents etc.) are however not necessarily divided evenly in each generation. This means that you may not have inherited Native American DNA per se and it is possible that you have inherited such a small amount of Native American DNA, that it may not be traced in a DNA test.

In addition, though you might have Native American DNA, it may belong to a tribe that is not part of the sampling used to build our Ethnicity Estimate. There are more than 500 recognized tribes, and they are ethnically, culturally and linguistically diverse. However, the majority of these tribes have not contributed their DNA for research purposes which would allow science to establish better ethnicity models. Therefore, the fact that we did not find Native American DNA in your Ethnicity Estimate does not mean that you are not Native American.

Since your Native American ethnicity does not appear in the Ethnicity Estimate we provide, it is an option to test a grandparent or a parent. The further back the generations go, the more likely it is that Native American ethnicity is shown in the Ethnicity Estimate as they are closer to the Native American ancestor.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly via [email protected] and I’ll be more than happy to personally assist you.

• Updated by wpiatt · Nov 19, 2018

Since you state that you are more than happy to personally assist me, then why not verify the test and its results? As with anything, there can be a mistake and logically there is reason to doubt this one. No doubt MyHeritage as a company does not want to cast doubt nor does it want to spend its own money. So no wonder the answer to everyone that has this issue is to turn it towards the person and not the company. Before I "EVER" spend another penny with MyHeritage, I will absolutely try another company that has nothing to do with this one. Sadly, I fully expected this answer after reading so many other like complaints. Has this company ever admitted fault even once? I would expect the answer I got as a disclaimer towards whatever the results coming from verifying the test and its results might be. Not the answer for dismissal of my complaint.

Resolved dna results accuracy

I just received my results that say I'm 93% African and 6.9% European. These may be accurate but my African heritage seems a bit high for an African american that's not first generation nor are my parents nor are my greats nor my great greats and so on. Also it says I'm 4.5 North African but no explanation of this. Some have said that it could be Italian or apart of my Iberian ancestry? I'm not sure. I'm going to test with 23&Me because I'm not sure of these results. I'm proud to be African but the vagueness is disappointing and I'm kind of upset I spent money on this.

• MyHeritage's response · Oct 30, 2018

Dear MyHeritage member,

I am sorry to read you are unhappy with your Ethnicity Estimate, I have no doubt that your grandparents are from where you state they are but I would like to offer an explanation regarding your results.

Over the last thousand years, people moved around frequently and often mixed with people from neighboring regions. Over time, the official borders changed and so did the population. It is very difficult to find a reference population with statistical difference between ethnicities in this region and we keep the Ethnicity Estimate on a higher regional level.

If you have any further questions regarding your results, I would be happy to assist you personally. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] with your queries.

Resolved credit card

Could you please confirm that the following is being used by MyHeritage _ Bls*MyhFamilylink. If Yes Then read...

Dunedin Credit Cards

Resolved renewal of membership.

On 29th August I was charged £120 to renew my membership despite emailing you 3 times to say that I did not want this renewing? I have emailed you a further couple of times asking for a refund but have had no response from you?
I was emailed on 31st July to say that my membership was being renewed and I emailed you the same day advising that I did not wish to renew. You had one months notice to cancel my membership yet still took £120 out of my account on 31st August.

Please refund my monies to me. You took monies from my account without my permission, and after I had specifically told you not to. I have not used your services and do not intend to in the future.

If these monies are not refunded to me I shall have no option but to take this matter further, and will require details of your Governing body in order to take further action. Please respond by return.

• MyHeritage's response · Oct 23, 2018

Dear MyHeritage member,

I'm sorry to find your complaint and I will do all I can to help.

To clarify, MyHeritage informs all members of the trial membership charge and its price on the automatic email that is sent out after you enroll in the membership and before every renewal. Also, one may view the status or cancel an annual subscription at any time online when logging into MyHeritage from the My Purchases page and incur no annual charge.

If you would like a refund, MyHeritage will gladly process it for you. Your refund is guaranteed by all means because of our money back guarantee to ensure all of our members with a full refund by contacting Customer Support within thirty (30) days of the initial purchase date of the subscription.

I'd like to assist you with your refund request but in order to do so, I must first verify your registered MyHeritage account.

Therefore, please e-mail me directly at [email protected] so I may verify your registered membership and assist you with this very high priority.

I'll be looking for your e-mail.

Rafael
    MyHeritage

Resolved charge for subscription and I can't eliminate the account

I subscribed to the services of My Heritage with a paid account and used a trial for one day but the mail i used was misspelled and i can't remember the password. So i couldn't correct the mail or change the password to cancel the service or eliminate my account. Besides you can't find where in the page cancel this service purchase until is too late and is charged.

Please can you refund my subscription i didn't agree to this.

This service should have a verification email before giving you the access to the page.

• Updated by Elena MyHeritage Team · Oct 13, 2018

Dear MyHeritage user,

I’m sorry to hear about your experience and I’d like to assist you with this matter.

MyHeritage is a refund friendly company and I’d like to make it right for you. Please email me the misspelled registered email address, so I can locate your account, or a proof of the bank transaction via [email protected] I will be happy to personally take care of it.

Elena, MyHeritage Team

probable relationship estimates are still faulty

Account ID: [protected]
This has been going on for over two years with some improvement but still in error.
My full sibling sister, our mother and I have all submitted DNA to this site. They correctly matched both of us to our mother.
Initially they called my probable relationship with my sister "grandparent/grandchild". I called to complain that they didn't even take birth year into account or they would have seen that was impossible. I got nowhere with anyone in fixing it.
Several months later they changed it to "uncle/niece". This was also impossible because they had already matched both of us to our mother.
Finally recently they corrected it again and it now says "sister or niece". Again niece is impossible because we are matched to the same mother.
it is apparent this is happening because their algorithm seems to be based only on % shared DNA and they list this as 30+%, low for siblings but within the range. that's why they added niece because that relationship averages 25%. But again it should have been eliminated because of the mutual mother match. Even this low shared DNA % is suspect. In 23andme and one other company it is about 43%. I realize depending on test used it can vary but this amount of difference is suspect. It's also the reason they keep getting the relationship wrong. when are they going to use a more accurate algorithm?

• MyHeritage's response · Oct 17, 2018

Dear MyHeritage member,

I am sorry to read your low star review and would like to offer an explanation regarding how DNA matches are generated.

In order to calculate DNA matches, MyHeritage uses three different parameters.:
    Shared DNA: shows you the percentage of DNA that overlaps between you and the other person.

Shared Segments: A segment is a piece of your DNA sequence. You and your DNA Match share a certain number of these segments in common, and some of them are longer than others.

Largest segments: Among the different-sized shared segments, the length of the largest segment you and the other person have in common can help you identify the likelihood that you are actually related.

You can learn more about these parameters here: http://www.myheritage.com/help-center#/path/951696241.

Based on these calculations we provide a range of possible genetic relations. If the matched individual is not associated with the same family tree, we provide all the possible relations within the range of DNA matches. Other providers indeed might use different methods to calculate DNA matches and therefore it is recommended to research all the DNA information that is available for the DNA match in question.

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me at [email protected] and I would be happy to assist you.

• Updated by fredlorey · Oct 17, 2018

Thanks Shane. I appreciate your response. I understand how you use these parameters to estimate probable relationships. I am a geneticist myself. I guess what I'm trying to say is by using these alone, and not looking at demographic factors such as year of birth etc, or other close matches in your database of those individuals, it makes your algorithm incomplete when it could easily be refined and have avoided these obvious errors. For example in the first match the probable relationship was called grandparent/grandchild. I understand how that could be a first level possibility based on your parameters, but all MH would have had to have done is look at our ages and see we are seven years apart so that relationship is impossible. Then it was changed to uncle/niece. This too was impossible because MH had already matched my sister and I to our mother. Finally on the third attempt, it now says sister, but it also still says niece, still impossible. I would also say I've had this particular sisters and my DNA done at two other companies and they had no trouble matching us as brother/sister without all these extraneous and impossible relationships. It makes me distrust any results from MH. I just wanted to explain further. You do not need to respond unless I am missing something. Thank you.

unauthorized charge on our account after cancelation

A represenative called to ask if we wanted extended or improved services. We said no and wanted to cancel our subscription. Their response? They charged us $250 anyway to our account. We went negative on our account with overdrafts. I am outraged. When we called them, we were told they do not have personnel to field questions and that we should leave a message and they will call us back. I seriously doubt they will. I am outraged. This is a scam and needs to be reported to everyone. Do not use this scam company full of frauds.

• Hugo MyHeritage Team Sep 12, 2018

Dear MyHeritage Member,

I am very sorry to learn about your experience. We are a refund friendly company, and we always honor our user's request in this matter.

We value the satisfaction of all of our members. This is why our terms and conditions read that If you are not satisfied with your purchased plan, you may request a full refund by contacting Customer Support within thirty (30) days of the initial purchase date of the subscription.

I would be happy to assist you personally to resolve this issue for you. Please send me a message from your registered e-mail address to [email protected] at any time.

Hugo, MyHeritage Team

• Re
    Real Donnie Jan 14, 2019

Possibly a scammer ... they called me and left no message, never spoke. WEIRD! I never signed up for anything ... never purchased a DNA kit ... WTH are they calling me for? SCAMMERS?

• Re
    Real Donnie Jan 14, 2019

Possibly a scammer ... they called me and left no message, never spoke. WEIRD!

sum of money taken from my bank account

Name: Peter Miles

Address: Flat 57, Kennedy Court, Green Street, Stourbridge, West Midlands
DY8 1UB United Kingdom

A payment of £152.64 has been taken from my bank account without my prior knowledge and authorisation from me.

Details: Description INT'l 0063279726BLS*MY HERITAGE_LTD 77432315VIS

I have never entered into an automatic payment scheme with My Heritage.

With respect, I will expect an explanation and a refund with immediate effect please.

Peter Miles
Tel; (+[protected] Mobile: (+[protected]
Email: peter.[protected]@gmail.com

• Hugo MyHeritage Team Sep 12, 2018

Dear Peter,

I am very sorry to learn about your experience.

Hugo, MyHeritage Team

• Ca
    Carlesbm Aug 06, 2019

Name: Carles Bosch Moya
    Address:

A payment of 240.79€ was taken from my bank account without my prior knowledge and authorization from me.

Details: DescriptionBLS*MYHERITAGE_LTD ( 7299-7299-APARTMENTS)

Date: 27/07/2019 a las 00:00

I have never entered an automatic payment scheme with My Heritage.

Respect, I will wait for an explanation and a refund with immediate effect please.

Carles Bosch Moya

Resolved charge my account with my authorization

My acc. # [protected]. I have premium plus. Why do I have to pay for records and smart matches. Someone from my...

subscription cancellation

In August 2017 I had an unsolicited phone call offering me a year's subscription at a reduced rate. As I was recovering from surgery at the time I thought it would be useful to have access to the site to research my family tree.

At no time was I told it would renew automatically. I only found out when I trawled through the lengthy terms and conditions.I decided to cancel the automatic renewal online as directed but the screen turned grey each time I attempted the cancellation.
I decided to ring the phone number given on 'contact us' only to be told that 'This number is out of service'.

On checking our credit card bill my husband found that a renewal payment had gone out.
At no time was I sent information saying the money would be taken nor have I had information to say my subscription has been renewed.

How can I et my money refunded and stop this happening again?

• MyHeritage's response · Sep 07, 2018

Dear MyHeritage user,

I sympathize with your situation and I will do all I can to assist you.

Your purchase satisfaction is very important to us and upon reading your feedback, I will be glad to issue a full refund for the renewal of the subscription.

I would also like to clarify that MyHeritage informs all members of the trial membership charge and its price on the automatic email that is sent out after you enroll in the membership and before every renewal. Also, one may view the status or cancel a trial subscription at any time online when logging into MyHeritage from the My Purchases page and incur no annual charge.

We absolutely value your membership with us and hope that you will allow us to make up for this disappointing experience you have reported.

If you have any questions about any of this or need help with your refund, please feel free to e-mail me directly at [email protected] and I would gladly assist you with my highest priority.

Catarina

• Updated by Rosie Hunter · Sep 07, 2018

Situation has now been satisfactorily resolved.

unauthorized credit card charges

I did not authorize any purchase from this company. I started to order a fermentation crock but backed out before confirming the order. Although this seems far-fetched from the purported business of this company, I did not order/back out order from any other website on August 27, 2018 when the charge appeared on my bank statement from Debit Purchase - Visa 08/26 card 7885
Bls*myheritagelt877-4323135 Ut. Calling this number results in a busy signal. Other reports suggest the number is not legitimate. I would like the money refunded to me.