Having problems with MyHeritage?

File a complaint and get it resolved. It鈥檚 quick, effective and absolutely free!

1800 817 330 (Ireland)
1800 731 768 (Australia)
+1 800 987 9000 (USA & Canada)
+44 800 098 8125 (United Kingdom)
+64 800 995 069 (New Zealand)
+43 800 802 582 (Austria)
+32 80 026 102 (Belgium)
+45 80 820 132 (Denmark)
+31 800 240 0013 (Netherlands)
+27 800 980 785 (South Africa)
3 Ariel Sharon Street, 4th Floor
Or Yehuda
Israel - 60250

Complaints & Reviews

no response to missing dna kit

I sent back my DNA kit from UK 19th February last month in envelope provided by My Heritage paying the correct postage at the Post Office ad I have proof of posting receipt. I activated the kit online as advised.

It is now 4th March and according to the my online account the test kit has still not been received. I have sent 3 emails and submitted two support ticket and absolutely no response from My Heritage other than email saying we have received you ticket.

I then tried 6 time to call the UK number on the website and all I got was messages saying the number is out if use! Unbelievable that an organisation can treat its customers with utter contempt.

I want a full refund of the cost of the kit if someone does not respond to me with in the next 2 hours.

Michael Markey- [protected]

• El
    Elena MyHeritage Team Mar 06, 2019

Dear Michael,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I have checked your account and see that your DNA samples have not checked in at the lab yet. When using regular mail for the return shipping of the DNA samples to the lab, most DNA samples arrive within 3 weeks. But there are cases where it takes more than a month for the lab to receive the DNA samples.

Therefore we recommend you to wait and we are confident that you will see an update in the status in the Web Site. When the samples check in at the lab in Houston, we'll send you an email too.

In case there is no update, please contact me at [email protected] and I will be happy to send you a free replacement kit so you can repeat the test. We prefer not to do so at the moment, because if we will send you a free replacement kit now, it will automatically cancel the original kit. This means that if the lab will receive the sample in a few days, they will not be able to analyze it and you would need to restart the process with the new kit.

If you would prefer a refund, please email me your account details (account ID number or registered email address) and I will personally assist you with this matter.

Elena MyHeritage Team

• Do
    Dorothy Hakim Mar 10, 2019

Hello Michael,

I'm in the exact same position. I live in the UK I sent off my kit on the 31st January and have heard nothing back despite sending several emails and requests online. I had the exact same difficulty with the phone line.

Furthermore, my account says I don't even have a kit which is impossible. I too, have proof of postage and activated my kit as soon as I received it.

I feel completely disregarded by MyHeritage and want my money back if I do not hear something in the next week - other than an automated response. Should have gone with 23andME.

Dorothy Hakim, Sheffield, UK

[Resolved] did not receive dna kit after over a month.

After over a month, I never received any DNA kit, but it says that the kit wa...

[Resolved] charges I never authorized

I've never even been to this site and was contacted by my debit card fraud prevention team that 8 charges for $104.00 had hit my card on 12/31/18 which I did not authorize. They reversed the charges and sent me a new card.

Well this morning, 1/23/19, I have 2 new charges each for $104 from them! Upon researching the company this is a scam and they somehow have comprised my PayPal account which is how they are still able to pull money from my account. Complete fraud and I will be reporting them again!

• MyHeritage's response 路 Jan 24, 2019

Dear Anya,

I regret to find that you were charged unduly and I'd like to investigate this with my highest priority.

Please email me at "[email protected]" with the details so I can follow up as soon as possible.

Catarina, MyHeritage Team

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] renewal notice for myheritage

My name is Tanja Dalton . i received an email about myheritage and a payment. I ignored the email and have...

[Resolved] dna result

[protected] is my myheritage.com account ID.

Just received my DNA results - can they possibly be correct?

Have they been mixed up with someone elses?

According to the test result:-

49.3% Scandinavian

48.7% Irish, Scottish and Welsh

2.0% Greek

How can this be correct?

I am English - my parents and grandparents were English!

English is not even mentioned.

Please advise

Kind regards

Steve Farndon

• MyHeritage's response 路 Jan 22, 2019

Dear Steve,

I have seen your feedback and I'd be happy to clarify why this is so.

For your information, it is Indeed difficult to build a distinct profile for Great Britain and Scandinavian countries, as those are admixed with Western European DNA. Anglo-Saxon people settled in the British Isles, and they were comprised of Germanic tribes. Experts in DNA research will say that ethnicity estimates are most accurate when looking at the region and not the specific country or city where your ancestors are from.

For instance, the ethnicity “North and West European”, includes many countries: Germany, France, the Netherlands and more. This is most likely because, for the last 1, 500 years, people in Western Europe moved around frequently and often mixed with people from neighboring regions. Over time, the official borders changed and so did the population. Moreover, genetic research shows that there is a strong genetic similarity between people from Scandinavian countries and people from the British Isles (England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales). This similarity can be explained by the geographic proximity of Scandinavian countries and settlements of Norse people in this Britain during the 8th and 9th centuries AD. Therefore, it is complicated to find a reference population with statistical difference between ethnicities in this region and we keep the Ethnicity Estimate on a higher regional level.

To provide users with Ethnicity Estimates, we started by figuring out what DNA from different ethnic groups looks like. More than 5000 participants have been selected to serve as references by virtue of their family trees exemplifying consistent ancestry from the same region or ethnicity for many generations. Thanks to the Founder Populations project MyHeritage offers an Ethnicity Estimate with 42 ethnic groups around the world. When we analyzed your DNA sample, we compared your DNA to those models to see what percentage matches each model. This research is ongoing and we will update your ethnicity estimate as more references come in and scientific research is done in the field.

As a side note, a few common reasons for getting unexpected results that are common.

-Inheriting undetectable amounts of an ethnicity: If an ethnicity was passed down through many generations, you may not have inherited a detectable amount. That’s why even if you are absolutely sure that a certain ancestor had a certain ethnicity, you might not see it in your own Ethnicity Estimate.

-Inheriting ethnicities from unknown ancestors: Unexpected ethnicities may have been inherited from ancestors you never knew about. Even the most complete family trees can be expanded. You might have inherited an ethnicity from an ancestor you haven’t yet discovered.

-The random nature of genetic inheritance: The percentage of each parents' ethnicities that they pass down may vary. For example, one sibling might have inherited all of his mother's Irish DNA, while another sibling received much less or none. You do not necessarily inherit half of each of your parents’ ethnicities, which is why siblings are very likely to get different estimates. Ethnicity with strong similarities: Certain populations have very similar DNA because of geographic proximity, migration patterns, and intercultural relationships. In other words, two ethnicities might be so similar biologically, that they cannot be differentiated by DNA testing.

All that said, There are ways to circumvent these obstacles with DNA research and with MyHeritage, you can pinpoint the exact location of where your roots come from many of our members will utilize the research tools available such as, building a family tree and finding comparable matches whether they be by doing Genealogy research or viewing your DNA matches. Our match algorithms have been proven to automatically find and compare similar DNA strands along with ancestral surnames, records, and family trees to find very interesting discoveries.

If it is a refund that you seek, we have no issue with giving you one but please note that if you are refunded, your dna and all its raw DNA data will be removed from our database.

Therefore, please e-mail me anytime if you have any questions or need help with the progress of your research at [email protected] I'd be always happy to help.

Rafael
    MyHeritage Support team

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] charges on my credit card and i've never used the site.

I have 8 charges on my bank statement for $104 from My Heritage company and I've never used My Heritage, nor did I authorize the transactions. The charges were refunded a few days after, but I have bank charges from insufficient funds.

The 8 charges occurred on Dec. 31, 2018 and they were credited back on Jan 4, 2019.

My email is [protected]@webster.k12.wi.us and my name is Lori

• MyHeritage's response 路 Jan 17, 2019

Dear Lori,

I'm deeply sorry to learn about the experience you have reported and I'd like to assure you that we do not charge people without their authorization.

I've emailed you at [email protected] for further follow up.

You can also contact me at "[email protected]" for any inquiries you may have.

Catarina, MyHeritage Team

[Resolved] dna test

I have taken several DNA tests from other companies. This by far, had the vaguest results. 94.2% North and West European. I could of told you that! My other reports had distinctions in terms of Spain, England, Ireland, Denmark, etc. This was one of the biggest wastes of money I have ever spent. I get that your database isn't that big, but this is ridiculous. The worst part of this whole process was when I was during the raw data processing, they asked to confirm that my gender was entered correctly in my profile. Wtf? Can't you tell that from the DNA? 馃

• MyHeritage's response 路 Jan 17, 2019

Dear MyHeritage user,

I regret to learn you feel this way regarding your MyHeritage DNA results.

I would like to clarify that when you do a MyHeritage DNA test, we compare your DNA to our models of DNA from different ethnicities to see which ones you match.

MyHeritage Ethnicity Estimates include 42 ethnicities (see: https://bit.ly/2sCLsuK) and this number will be growing even larger because of our own Founder Populations Project that is ongoing (see: https://bit.ly/2ESUEDZ).

The DNA may be very similar between people in neighboring countries. Where there isn't sufficient statistical difference, we keep the Ethnicity Estimate on a higher regional level. Even when there is a statistical difference between ethnicities, it is true for the population's average. Your DNA will always be slightly different than that of the average population, and may, therefore, show a small or a significant part of neighboring ethnicities.

Furthermore, humans have 46 chromosomes. The MyHeritage DNA test looks at the first 44 'autosomal' chromosomes, that aren't the X or Y chromosomes determining your gender, identifying linked DNA segments. It analyses the DNA inherited from your mother and father, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, and so on - to provide you with a breakdown of your ethnic percentages and connect you with relatives descended from any of your ancestral lines within approximately the last 6 generations

If you have any questions about your research, please feel free to email me personally at [email protected] via your registered email address. I would be delighted to assist you.

Catarina MyHeritage Team

dna results

I took a DNA test and the results are completely wrong. Did you guys really run a DNA test, or give random...

obtaining money by deception

This company withdrew rwo payments of 拢69 from my account on 24th December without my consent. They have...

[Resolved] myheritage matches in legacy family tree

In Legacy Family Tree program of which I have been using for at least 20 years there is a MyHeritage match...

MyHeritage

[Resolved] missing dna sample kit

I am the customer of Myheritage account number; [protected]. I sent my dna sample to Houston Lab with DHL...

[Resolved] obtaining funds by deception now being passed to west midlands police

I have been trying all day to resolve a matter with your staff in the UK with little intelligence. Last night you made two Direct Debits for over 拢60 to my account, funds that should have been available for my seriously ill daughter, on her last Christmas. You took one payment which was cancelled and it now appears that you took a further payment for the same amount from my bank account which had a different email address, so following discussions with my solicitors this afternoon this is being passed to the Police for Fraud. You asked for proof the payments but failed to respond, so I am issuing authority to the bank after the holiday to instigate proceedings in addition to what I have done. Media Coverage is being arranged for papers and TV and BBC Watchdog in the UK to highlight that you took a debit from an account without my authority using my name and the same bank details. So you owe me two payments of 拢69. I want this matter resolved within five days. Why did you use my bank account details for an application that was not made. I want both of these figures returned by bank transfer as the idiot I was emailing did not have the decency to respond. But all these emails will be brought to the attention of the court when the media will be present to highlight this matter. But it appears from media discussions that this is a common way of theft by your company, and this will be passed to the Advertising Standards Association. Media coverage Is arranged for next week, so trust that you will have someone with intelligence available to discuss the matter. Croydon Press Associates at croydon.press.[protected]@journalist.com have my full authority to discuss this matter with you before media coverage and Police Intervention

• MyHeritage's response 路 Dec 27, 2018

Dear MyHeritage member,

I am sorry to read your review and would like to resolve the issue for you.

Firstly, I must clarify that MyHeritage informs all of any charge and its price on the automatic e-mail that is sent out after you enroll in a subscription and after every renewal or purchase a DNA kit. Also, one may view the status or cancel an annual subscription at any time when logging in to MyHeritage from the My Purchases page and incur no annual charge.

Your member experience is very important to us and we really do value the satisfaction of all of our members. This is why our terms and conditions read that If you are not satisfied with your purchased plan you may request a full refund by contacting Customer Support within thirty (30) days of the initial purchase date of the subscription.

I would be more than happy to assist you personally with issuing you a full refund. In order to do so, I’m going to need to locate your account.

Please send me a message from your registered e-mail address at [email protected] so I may assist you with this as soon as possible.

I will be looking for your e-mail.

Kind Regards

• Pe
    Peter Rutherford Dec 29, 2018

Another week has passed and all that has changed is that my name and contact details have changed, the matter is now causing serious concerns for fraud and deception amongst the Police. You have all my name ls, Paul Rutherford, operating through the media, and legal papers will be issued at the beginning of next fraud week. Media coverage has begun this weekend, and will continue to do so. you are being investigated by the Fraud Department at my bank, and have been allocated time on national TV within the UK within the next four weeks.

The debits you made from my bank are theft and with charges and legal representation now are over £500.

We all know that you run a con shop obtaining money by deception, and arrangements are being made to open a forum for others in the position I am in to advise internationally

• Pe
    Peter Rutherford Dec 30, 2018

Based in the UK and have problems with this company send Court Summons to|:

My Heritage.com
    Unit 4635
    P.O.Box 6945
    LONDON
    W1A 6US

[Resolved] the result is a joke!

Tis the season and my family has came to my home for Christmas. I thought it would be a great surprise for my dad if I bought him a kit and at Christmas we unveil his heritahe. Today is the 21st and I received his results of his nationality but THAT WAS IT! Nothing about his time he served in the Vietnam war or his ancestors. So I paid 60.00 to find out my dad was Welsh and Italian. Customer service was no help. I asked her to help me work on some items and she continued to cut me off and tell me I received what I paid for. I assure you I did not receive what I paid for. I called and asked several questions and the sale rep assured me I would be provided all of my requests! Total joke super embarrassed to tell my father I was taken by a company of FRAUD!

• MyHeritage's response 路 Dec 27, 2018

Dear MyHeritage member,

I am sorry to read your low star review.

I would like to clarify what you receive when you purchase a MyHeritage DNA kit:

**An Ethnicity Estimate - a comprehensive breakdown of your unique DNA composition. You will discover where your heritage originated from and how much each ethnicity is part of your ancestral origins, and even view the main life events of your direct ancestors on the Ethnicity map.

**DNA Matches - This technology compares data from autosomal DNA tests results and family trees to identify matches between users that share genetic sequences and indicate a family relationship.DNA Matching at MyHeritage is developed to help our users find relatives based on their shared genetic sequences. DNA matching may help you find distant relatives or close family. All people share 99.5% of their DNA sequence in common. Only the remaining 0.5% differs from one person to another. By looking closely at a section of a person’s DNA, and comparing it to the raw DNA files of other people uploaded on MyHeritage, we can match you to potential relatives, who share DNA segments with you, inherited from the same common ancestor.

You also you can utilize these features in your free basic site. As the webmaster of a Basic site, you can enter up to 250 person-cards to your family tree, 500MB of storage space and you can make limited use of the Instant Discoveries. Receiving Smart Matches™, viewing them, comparing trees side by side and
    rejecting Smart Matches is free for all users.

If you have any further questions regarding your results I would be happy to assist you personally. Please send me your questions from your registered e-mail address at [email protected]

Kind Regards

dna test kit

Hi, I have purchased about 6 kits up till now but I had to pay import taxes for only the last three shipments. The packages seem to have been shipped from Germany while the issued invoice has an address in Israel. If from Germany, since Cyprus is an EU country then surely there must not be any import duties. If from Israel, then why do the packages indicate that the shipment originated from Germany? Also I could not contact you by any phone number listed on the help link of your site, why is that?

Thanks

George Poullados

• El
    Elena MyHeritage Team Dec 20, 2018

Dear George,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and I'd like to further follow-up on it.

I've located your MyHeritage account and escalated your inquiry to our Billing team. They will contact you directly via your registered email address to personally assist you.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via [email protected] and I will be happy to help you.

Elena, MyHeritage Team

dna kit not received by myheritage yet

To whom it may concern: I am writing to whoever would be able to give me feedback because I have sent my DNA...

[Resolved] dna results

I was excited to receive my DNA results! I received them today 12/6/2018, 2 months after I paid. What a waste of money! It shows I have 0% Italian ancestry! WHAT! My grandparents both were born and raised in Italy and still have family living there. They came to the USA from Italy in the early 1900's. What a waste of money! Sorry I can't leave 0 stars!

• MyHeritage's response 路 Dec 07, 2018

Dear Mr. Shaffer,

I am sorry to read you are unhappy with your results.

I can completely understand your surprise upon receiving them. I have no doubt that your grandparents are from Italy but I would like to offer an explanation regarding your results.

In some regions of the world, there is a unique set of genetic characteristics that are shared between the offspring of native populations. While different populations migrated from one region to another, research has shown that these sets of characteristics make some regions distinct from others, allowing us to establish a genetic model for some regions of the world.

The DNA may be very similar between people in neighboring countries. Where there isn't sufficient statistical difference, we keep the Ethnicity Estimate on a higher regional level. Even when there is a statistical difference between ethnicities, it is true for the population's average. Your DNA will always be slightly different from that of the average population, and may, therefore, show a small or a significant part of neighboring ethnicities.

Each person receives approximately 50% of their DNA from their mother, and 50% from their father. The percentages of DNA a person receives from their ancestors at the level of grandparents and further back (great-grandparents, etc.) are not necessarily divided evenly in each generation. At seven generations back, probably less than 1% of the DNA comes from a direct ancestor. It is possible that one great-grandparent may have passed on 3% of their DNA to their great-grandchild, while another great-grandparent may have passed on 11%.

Over the last thousand years, people in Europe moved around frequently and often mixed with people from neighboring regions. Over time, the official borders changed and so did the population. It is very difficult to find a reference population with statistical difference between ethnicities in this region and we keep the Ethnicity Estimate on a higher regional level.

This might explain some surprising results in your MyHeritage Ethnicity Estimate. Please also note that bio-geographical estimates are complicated, especially for countries in Europe. Different researchers analyzing the same DNA of a person can come up with different estimates based on a number of different factors, including the reference populations used for comparison, the algorithm, and more.

If you have any further questions regarding your results, I would be happy to assist you personally. Feel free to contact me at [email protected]@myheritage.com with your queries.

Kind Regards,

[Resolved] no feedback

I ordered the DNA kit and it arrived in about 2 weeks, I send it back about three days later, now almost 2...

dna cheek swab samples

MyHeritage send me the empty DNA kit with no further warning that in some countries it might be not possible to post such items. I payed for the kit, now I am not be able to post it back to the company, because all carries refused to take DNA samples according to the instructions from ministry of health.

It is so much irresponsible actions, they should have told us, not just take the money and hide. They don't even reply emails.

Johnny MyHeritage Team Nov 30, 2018

Dear MyHeritage User,

I am sorry to read your low star review and to read about your experience in contacting our support center. Issues such as these are really important to us and I will do all I can to help with high priority.

In order to assist in the tracking of your kit, I will need to locate your account on our system. Please email me from your registered email address to [email protected] so I can assist you promptly.

I eagerly await your response.

John,
    MyHeritage Team

[Resolved] dna test purchased today (11/26/18)

I had purchased a DNA test from here today & when I checked my bank statement I was charged for 2 (two) DNA tests. I called & talked to a person named Ivan about it as to take off the 2nd one & once talking decided to cancell my original as well as the other one & to just refund me back my money. He asked me to send a copy of my 'pending' statement to have it cleared up & the billing department would get in contact with me once they recieve it. I did send the statement photo in & still haven't heard from them yet. I did contact my bank also..

• MyHeritage's response 路 Nov 27, 2018

Dear MyHeritage member,

I'm sorry to read about your complaint here.

Issues such as these are extremely important to us and I will do all I can to ensure your refund.

Unfortunately, I am unable to locate your registered account with the information I see here on this website. Therefore, please e-mail me [email protected] so I can straighten everything out with high priority.

I will be looking for your e-mail.

Sincerely
    Rafael
    MyHeritage

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] delay in receiving my dna kits

Dear Myheritage, I made an order for a total of two DNA kits over two weeks ago and I remember reading that...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices