Complaints & Reviews

poor customer service and business practices

Went into M&T bank on a Friday morning with a balance of -$22.00 (including an overdraft fee). Rep explained...

service fees

I changed jobs and no longer had direct deposit. I called M&T to ask if I need to change my account type, and they said as long as I kept $2500 in my checking and linked accounts I would received no service charges. The next month, I received a $5.95 service charge. I called and they said that I had to keep $1500 in THAT account and $2500 total, but they did reverse the charge and change my account type.

The next month I got charged two fees of $2.95 each because I had enrolled in (but never used) web bill pay. There is no way to unenroll without contacting M&T directly. The reason I got charged TWO fees for ONE account is because I had enrolled under my user name online and my husband's. BUT IT IS STILL JUST ONE ACCOUNT!! It is a joint account, but I can't unenroll the account, just myself. Now he has to call and cancel his enrollment for the same account.

I USED TO have my mortgage through them (notice past tense). I would send extra principal payments of $50 or $100, and they misapplied them on 2 or 3 times in a 4-year period. Two specific ones I remember are a $100 payment I made and they reversed (even though it cleared my checking account)--I called them about it and they "fixed it" by crediting it a week later. The second was a $50 payment that was "applied", but it was "applied" to nothing...it showed up in the transaction detail, but didn't come off the principal. Their response was always "I don't know why that happened".

hidden costs of m&t free checking

After openning a free checking online in Aug 2008 I realized that contrary to free billpay service that I had in
4 other banks there is fee for billpay at M&T, so I cancelled my billpay subscription online via bank secured e-mail.On 2/21/2009 I received the only paper statement from M&T Bank showing my checking account been closed due to -$6.35 cumulative billpay fee and sent to collection.
I spent more than an hour on 2/24/2009 with different departments of M&T bank trying to resolve the bank error, each representative shown gross incompetent handling the matter end referred me to another phone to call and the last one suggested I send a letter to bank as nothing anyof them could do about it.
So here is the deal if you intend to open a free checking account with M&T Bank:
1.There is a fee for billpay so it is not free.
2. Afterward if you need to resolve an issue you have to spent hours talking to assortment of ###s
at M&T bank who are experts in giving you runaround and not resolving the issue.
3, The surprised account closure without any written or phone message and sending it to collection may affect your credit reports and if you ever been unfortunate to resolve an error with credit reporting agencies you know what kind of ###s you end up talking to,

• Bo
    BOBK May 26, 2009

Thanks for alerting me to this ripoff.

I had a Provident Bank free checking, which was just converted to M&T "Free" Checking after they bought Provident in Virginia. According to their website, accounts opened online get FREE billpay; accounts opened at an M&T office are charged 2.95/ month after the first month. What a ripoff!

beware of refinancing w / m&t bank

Do yourself a favor and do not consider M&T BAnk for anything, especially refinancing. They act like they are going to get you the best deal, use an unqualified appraiser who grossly under-appraises your property so your value to loan ratio is so high and they can charge you thousands more. Nice scam for the bank, huh?

Good luck!

• Ti
    TIREDOFSCAMMERS Feb 01, 2009

Thanks for this information. We are planning to refinance but will not consider M&T. These banks should be put out of business for taking advantage of consumers in this economy.

• Ti
    TIREDOFSCAMMERS Feb 01, 2009

I heard something similar about M and T / M&T loan officers in VA and MD. A friend of mine said he was going to close all his checking accounts if they changed his costs as his mortgage contact has said some things the he believes are unethical. Of course, he wants to close, if possible at what they promised. I wish all consumers would provide their experiences re these unethical banks. It would make it easier on people who only want to survive in this economy.

• Ge
    Get_the_facts Jun 14, 2009

Specifically the loan officers at M&T bank are not scruntized per say their educational background nor their credit/criminal background check. They can put a facade of professionalism, but on hindsight they know enough to take advantage of the person that is literally not qualified for a home mortage. The 'sub-prime' is still prominent, especially for low-income consumers. The local M&T bank in Elbridge, NY has one loan officer that knows how to seduce her clients/costumers, by pass all the fine print and then sneaks in extra points without their acknowledgement. Not only that is unethical...it is predatory lending.

scam and cheating

We have a commercial loan from M&T Bank. It's originated by Silver Hill under its subsidiary Bayview...

nsf

I can not belive how M&T bank can charge insufficient charge before the charge is actually posted. I go into the one local branch and the customer service tellers are nasty, rude and talk to you as if you own them more money just because. when i ask for them to explain how on black in white its show the money is in the account but they still charged me two 37.oo charges while my account still shows positive. How, why, and the response i get is " well the way the system posted it it show negitive even though it's still shows postive. Does this make any sense. The way the system works sucks and i wish we would all band together and tell all banks to go and shove their NSF where the sun don't shine!!! us working class don't have NSF to share with greedy banks.

• Si
    Sir MJ Aug 21, 2009

I too have had nothing but problems with M and T Bank. I was a provident customer because I had problems with bogus fees due to convenient (for them) posting of transactions at M and T in the past. Paid their stupid fees, closed the account and started fresh at Provident. Never had even 1 single problem. Then M and T took over. An instant $105.00 in overdraft fees! I had a balance (positive) through 3 or 4 transactions. Then I needed to spend more than I had in the account so I took more than enough in cash to the branch and made a deposit. Later that day I made my online purchase. Well, They posted the purchase ahead of the cash deposit and hit me with several fees. Even for purchases made with sufficient funds at the time. I am going to head a crusade to have this bank investigated!!

• Br
    brobin Sep 09, 2009

I totally agree!! I have had nothing but problems with M&T Bank and the only way I am going to fix that is to not do business with them anymore! I have completely had it. They so conveniently hold transactions and then decide to post them when they see that your account is getting near not enough but you deposit a check that so conveniently doesn't become available in time to cover the charges. Forget about trying to do your banking online using their Web system because that is never right. Even when they say I don't have enough money in my account it still shows the transactions as a positive so if the checks or transactions came through the way they are listed on the website then I wouldn't have any overdrafts. They are crazy!!!

• Sp
    spunky4646 Dec 11, 2009

There have been many times when I have had checks cleared and I was still charged NSF. When I called and asked about it, they say that there is pending withdraws against my account and this will cause the NSF. Even if I didn't do it, they are telling me that there is a back room screen that they use to decide on doing this. They say if someone is checking on an amount in my account for future purchases they will hold the money for three days and if I have a check come in and they are still waiting on this time to pass and there isn't enough money in my account to cover the three day hold and the check I will be charged. I would really like for someone to check into this. It doesn't seem very fair that they can do that with someone's money.

• Un
    unpleasantbanking Dec 29, 2009

This morning I checked my account online and found several insufficient funds fees posted on my account. The checks were posted to the account on the 21st and yet on the 22nd I was hit with these fess. When I look at though the right hand column is in the positive and shows that the money is there. I pulled my receipt that was printed from the ATM machine to make sure the amount deposited was correct. I called and customer service stated that even though the credits column reflected that the money was there it in fact wasn't. I spoke with a Pat in the Delaware office and she stated that I needed to click on the items in blue in order to understand why the charges look the way they do. Well that's great to know... after the fact. How is someone suppose to know that. I feel that is very misleading, if I look at my account and see black on the right showing that the money is there and yet my account is being hit with insufficient funds fees, there is something wrong. I also found out that it's actually two to three days for things to clear. I was informed that it takes a day to post, an additional day to process and another day to clear. That's how it was explained to me, so yet again LIES!! One business day is what there literature says, but it takes three days!!

• Lo
    Lock Haven Erica Jan 06, 2010

I too am having issues with M and T bank. My web account has all of my transactions listed and my AVAILABLE balance is at a positive. The bank calls me and says that I will have two $37.00 fees posted to my account tomorrow. For what!?!?! They explain that even though the transactions are listed, they are not taken out of the account! I am leaving M and T bank today and so are all of my sorority sisters! Bye Bye M and T!

Incorrect nsf fees

There is an erroneous NSF fee posted to my account. I called M&T Bank at 10am on Saturday 5/24/08. The...

legitimate insufficient funds!

I received insufficient funds fees on 4 transactions clearing the same day. I had enough money in the account...

unlawful foreclosure threatening!

M&T Bank is threatening to make my mortgage due and payable in 24 days, due to fraud committed by my mortgage broker. Yes, I signed the paperwork, however, at the urging of my broker, my application was finessed in certain ways. I have paid my mortgage on time and in full since I have had it. I have information that they simply can't sell my loan to their investor because they funded it at a time of mortgage implosion. Should this come down to them taking my home? Shouldn't they be going after my broker and not me? Word of advice - if you are seeking a mortgage, DO NOT use M&T Bank, and inquire with your broker to make sure.

Joseph Hinkley Dec 02, 2008

Here is my story, they (M&T) told my wife and I with complete certainty that a rework of my mortgage would not affect my credit score. We asked them very carefully several times to be absolutely certain this would not affect our credit score and they assured us it would not.
    Low and behold, a few weeks later my credit lines were lowered for material negative information on my credit report, after further investigation, we found that in fact M&T reported the old loan in default and passed due. We paid the new loan structure on time and in full. After calling them to correct this they stated they "can do nothing". Total liars.

• Cr
    Crazy Niagara Oct 09, 2010

M and t bank totally sucks:

Here's my story, I contacted them for a loan modification after the big bank bailout and I knew they would be flushed with cash (my taxpayer bailout cash). after cycling through about 3 representatives I finally agreed to complete some paperwork that they would send me... I did not receive anything and contacted them 2 weeks later, again made the same request to several representatives with poor english speaking abilities and finally after about 3 weeks of messing around received the paperwork, I signed and returned it with my financial life attached (tax, social security, credit lines etc.) they lost it!!!

Furious - I finally reached "evelyn" who was very nice, reassuring and apologetic but really of little help since they still had not located the paperwork. evelyn allowed me to fax the items to her and she received them while I was still on the phone and supposedly got the process in motion - 2 months quickly passed when I again contacted them to see what was going on... guess what... I had been denied a modification... whoops nobody told me. I aparently had to be at least one month behind on my mortgage to be considered... silly me I was current
    So I proceeded to fall one month behind on my mortgage... they again denied me a modification this time because I was late on my pmt... and during all this they foreclosed, sally mae took the house, mand t claimed it on their title insurance and lost nothing and I get a letter the house had been sold at auction!

• Ro
    Rose Santibanez May 13, 2016

I am so tired of stupid banks that don't give a rats b about mortgage loans. They sell you off to stupid banks like M&T. This is the second time we get screwed by them. This time the shortage escrow being the problem. We made a payment of $1500 in March 10, than the rest on march 22 of $305. The guy specifically said out payment will be $612 on the next mortgage payment. Little did I know that, the $612 that went in for April was sent to principle instead cuz according to them our payment didn't adjust and we still had to pay $774 for the month of April. What kind of stupid ppl work the and then to have the bank send you foreclosure paperwork because according to them I owe $162. What kind of heartless stupid ppl do that to americans that work hard for their money to pay bills n feed their families. Geez they stress the crap out of u and ur gonna tell me, they can't even make a call or send out an email, but can send u stupid letters like that. Why do they ask for emails and all that crap and not try to talk to their clients instead before you send out stupid letters like that, freaking idiots! I'm refinance with Shell FCU. We have always been good on making our mortgage payments. This whole thing that happened is their fault and the should fix it, not me having to give them more extra money for their mistake and it's all in a recorded line!

• Di
    DisabledLisa Apr 19, 2017

My stepfather (a veteran, served in the marine corps) passed away december 2015, leaving my mother who passed away september 9 2016 (65 years old! primary cns lymphoma of the brain), my boyfriend and I moved into their house prior to my mom passing. my mother and I did a quit claim deed as per m & t bank (i'm 42 and permanently disabled) the bank was aware of this. they told me I could get a modification of the loan after my mother passed so they could list her as deceased and then continue with the modification no problem. unfortunately my mom passed, I filled out the paperwork and also fax over the death certificate. guess what denied and they would not list my mom as deceased, I was told to redo the paperwork again so I did (now before my credit went to crap thanks to m & t bank) I had offers from the va and a couple other places to get a loan, i'm a first time buyer disabled. the other lenders said they need to see my mom listed as deceased on the credit check, I called m & t bank and was told they r working on it. now in the mean time I have already talked with the bcap mortgage assistance. they have 50, 000 to give to m t bank towards the principal balance of the loan, I made them aware of this, they said ok note taken, they of course r still working in my modification so I thought I walk outside and guess what I found just right on the front porch, foreclosure paperwork, it says m&t bank vs my mother (deceased) in real small print at the bottom it says serve papers to me. I know my brain doesn't work to good, but did I miss something?

I live in nj want to go back to pa. just got married monday.
    Anybody out there that can advise what to do? they are doing an accelerated forclosure. it goes against my mind credit how does that happen?

Lisa

insuffiecent funds!

Due to Christmas falling on a Tuesday this year. I got about 5 insufficient funds charges attached to my...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices