Mr. RooterCharges 2x more than others

G

I put a new vinyl floor down in my bathroom [DIY], and in the process of hooking up my toilet, I broke the water supply line. Because my condo is 30 years old, I couldn't just replace the hose. The valve and all had to be replaced. I felt it was beyond what I could handle myself, so I called several plumbing companies to see if any of them could send someone over. This was on Sunday morning. My second attempt was with Mr Rooter, who said they could have someone over right away. Very few plumbing companies will give you an estimate over the phone. They all want to send someone over ["free of charge"] before they'll give you a price. I made the assumption [yes, I shouldn't have] that most companies, especially big-name companies, are similarly-priced.

Because I'm a bit of a do-it-yourselfer, I'm fairly familiar with materials prices. I estimated very generously at $30 for parts [just a valve and a hose]. I was, however, in a bit of a panic, being without my toilet and haven broken a line I didn't think I could fix. When the technician quoted the price, he quoted me $234. I was in shock, but I agreed anyways, because at this point, I was a bit beside myself with stress. When he gave me the paper to sign, the price was $254, as there was a "fuel charge" of $20 he forgot to point out. I agreed, because I needed to get it fixed immediately, and it didn't occur to me to call someone else.

To make a long story short, it took him 30 minutes to swap out the valves and replace the hose. I have since had the opportunity to call and talk to a number of plumbers, and have had 2 reputable plumbers tell me the job shouldn't have been more than $125. The invoice I was given has a lump-sum amount, so I have no idea how they arrived at the quoted $254.

I called Mr Rooter, and spoke to the general manager. He explained that I agreed to the price before hand, and that was what he had to charge to keep his business running. I asked him why he felt he had to charge more than twice what other plumbers would charge, and he just repeated himself. Although I said a number of times I believe I was severely overcharged, there was no offer to charge me a more reasonable amount. I also asked three different times for an invoice that broke out the charges, and the request was sidestepped each time.

I have no problem paying a fair amount for work well done, but anyone can see that $254 for 30 minutes of work is just plain unreasonable.

• Sc
    Scott.S.S Oct 30, 2009

Are you kidding me? You think that 254 bucks to have somebody come to your home on a Sunday is too much? You need a touch of reality along with those other plumbers who were not around to fix your problem.

Your are not seeing that the company has to pay the guy from the time he left his house until the time he gets home at overtime rates. Forget about the 1/2 hour he was at your home. Probably at least 2 hours minimum were spent on your call.

The Mr Rooters know what their cost of doing business is. Frankly, I think you got a great deal. For a Sunday should have been a lot more.

My comments from another plumbing contractor not affiliated with Mr. Rooter.

• Mr
    Mr. Rooter Plumbing Corporate Nov 30, 2009

We are sorry to hear of your recent trouble. Your business is important to us and we want to ensure each and every customer experience with our company is a good one. If you would like to speak directly with us, you are most welcome to call our customer service manager at [protected] who will be happy to assist you. Sincerely, Mr. Rooter Corporation

• Ad
    Advocaterist Dec 01, 2010

Mr. Rooter always overcharges. Never use them. Go with a local plumber and not a franchise who generally has technicians that are inexperienced. Most Mr. Rooter's technicians do not even have their licenses. Just ask. Mr. Rooter is just a huge scam based in Waco, TX. They rip off their franchisees. They rip of their customers. They rip off their employees. They are owned by an evil corporation hostile takeover firm known as Riverside based in New York City. They are all about taking your money. Do not use them EVER!

• Mc
    mcl595 Mar 20, 2011

I wish i have did my homework first before calling these guys to service my water heater. I had a little pressure valve problem few days ago and it just won't go away, so i called these guys Mr. Rooter and they came in 2hours late on what they promise. Anyway, you have to watch these guys if you decide to hire them (i hope you don't) they came in to my house and i was told that my water settings was set by someone to its maximum settings and i told them that my 3 years old and about 3 months old water heater had never been service nor open by anyone but them. I belieive they deliberately tampered my setting so that to void my warranty. I went inside my house for a minute and i think that's when they did their crooked doings or cheating ways.I was charged $ 233.58 for about 20 minutes unworthy worked. Also, i called up the office and that woman won't give me details on why my bill is only set as a whole bill and not detailing on how much is the labor charge. Be Careful...

• St
    StacieMRRCorp Mar 21, 2011

We are sorry to hear about your experience with our company. We want each and every customer experience with our company to be a good one. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service Manager at [protected]. Thank you.

Stacie Thrasher
    Mr. Rooter Corporation

• Mo
    Morgan Graic Oct 07, 2011

I had a blockage in my bathrooms I called because the ad said there were no after hour charges and a plumber could be dispatched shortly within minutes. The plumber arrived at 10:00pm, I called at 6:00pm. No one called to communicate an ETA I had to keep calling them. When he did arrive he was very vague and said he could not run a snake to unclog my drains and that he would have to run a camera through my roof and find out where he would need to install cleanouts. It cost me 327.50 for him to be there for an hour. I asked if he could just make a temporary fix so I could stay in my house for the night. He said he could not do that and would need to come back and I would have to pay for a three part process, the next phase would be $787.00 and I could expect to pay him $1000 to do everything. I called drain doctor and the city and it costs me $156.00 to have the drains unclogged the next day. BE AWARE-Their plumbers are paid by commission. Go FIGURE! He was going to snowball his prices with this process scheme and he did nothing. This company will get your credit card information first before they come out on your property. DO NOT USE MR. ROOTER for your plumbing needs.

• Be
    Berijee May 28, 2012

I called Mr. Rooter, 230 Bank Street, Midland Park, NJ, to clear four underground gutter drains and one drain in the driveway. The quote was $732.00 for the first two hours and approximately $350.00 for each additional hour.Thinking this was a reasonable price for clearing five drains, I agreed.

Mr. Rooter cleared one drain in less than one half hour but stated that they were unable to clear the other four drains and that I should call a landscaper to fix the problems. Mr. Rooter was at my home for less than one hour, most of it explaining why they could not unclog the additional four drains. You can imagin my SHOCK when they presentedd me with a bill for $783.24.

To add insult to injury, a letter to Steve Phykitt, President, Mr. Rooter, was ignored without the common courtesy of a response.

I should add that after the fact, I checked for complaints againt Mr. Rooter organizations throughout the country and found an extraordinary number. I suggest that anyone considering the services of Mr. Rooter first search for compaints on the internet.

• Sc
    ScammedByMrRooter Nov 05, 2012

I agree...My mother paid $19, 500 for nothing and there is a scam report with links to two blogs describing, in detail, how she was taken advantage of! They probably broke all kinds of laws in your area...I'd submit a claim to the BBB, the FTC, and the Attorney General!