Maytag / French Door Refrigeratorproblems with the ice maker!

I bought my maytag ice2o French door refrigerator from home depot 8 mos ago. Loved it when I got it, but soon after had problems with the ice maker. They replaced the ice maker. Now the ice maker is still having problems. Its not strong enough to break up all the ice. The ice cubes freeze in big blocks causing the system to clog. Last night the thing took on a mind of its own. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing all on its own, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. Finally we had to unplug it so we could get 4 hours sleep. Plug it in this morning and its still doing it. My biggest concern is what happens after the warranty runs out. I already know this thing has mechanical problems. Did I get a lemon or is it junk?? Either way I'm stuck with a $2,800 refrigerator that seems like it has bad engineering.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Feb 27, 2013

Hello lbedell. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard.com), your user ID name (lbedell), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, your ticket number (34374), and email the requested information to [email protected] We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Amber.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Apr 08, 2013

Hello alnappier. My name is Amber and I am a representative with Maytag. We truly apologize for the frustrations you have endured regarding your refrigerator. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email us at [email protected] and provide us with your complete contact information as well as the model and serial number of your appliance. Please also include the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard) along with your user name and your ticket number (39710). We would be happy to review your concerns further. Best regards, Amber.

• Maytag's response · Mar 31, 2017

Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
    We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at [email protected] with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.

• Dr
    drc409 Aug 17, 2019

My Maytag French Door MFI2568AES refrigerator now has the flashing control panel lights and constant cycling ice dispenser door problem. I guess I've been luckier than most after reading the 100's of comments on this site as my unit is about 12 years old. I certainly don't want to replace refrigerator for a defective circuit board issue that has been known about since 2007 or so. Alarming is the info that replacement boards are not available.

• Ed
    Ed Calipel Jul 24, 2018

I’ve had the same problem with our Maytag French fridge freezer since I got it home. Contacting the retailer and Maytag resulted in exactly nothing. The ice maker (occasional ice maker) makes ice when it feels like it. Then it makes no ice for days. Or weeks. Then there’s a wonderful sound of the solenoid allowing water into the ice maker and we know we can have a gin and tonic in a few hours. We’ve had it for a year and recently, for the first time, the ice maker actually produced enough ice for more than two drinks - it did this every day for five days. That was two weeks ago. It hasn’t made ice since. The irony is that I bought the Maytag specifically for the ice-making function as it was to replace our fourteen-year-old Samsung that produced at least a champagne bucketful of ice per day and cost a fraction of the price. We now have to buy ice...

Grillus7 Aug 28, 2017

Ok, I just have to put my 2 cents worth in now.. Bought this beautiful dreamy looking French doors refrigerator complete with the best ice maker on the market, nice tag at $ 3895.00 plus tax. But, it's a Maytag, they're the best there are, right? Nope, find out now, when we experience the same issue as all the rest, flapping, noisy ice maker door. BUT, even better, the part is no longer manufactured so we can't even repair it. Nicely done Maytag.
    I called Maytag after reading the 100s of comments on this site and the customer service rep I spoke to says there is nothing at all in their system that tells her there are any issues with this model that she is aware of. I suggested she Google this model of their refrigerator and read the reviews and then she will be aware of it as well. I asked what am I to do about it now and she assured me that the "Maytag Authorized Repairman" IN MY city would contact me within 48 hours. I asked if I could have the name of the local company so that I could expect their call, the customer service person said that the service company requests that my info be given to them, not the other way around.. That should have been my first hint of how this was going to go. It's a full 3 days later and I have not received a call. I decided to contact a local company myself and they came out the same day. When I told them that the authorized repairman has not called me yet, he told me that there is not an authorized Maytag repair company in this city. Another thumbs up to you in that one too Maytag!
    So, yes, my issue is the ice maker door flap. The repair company checked their appliance parts supplier and manufacture of this part has been discontinued.. Well, I guess Maytag realized the replacement doesn't work either...
    I had him just unplug the ice maker so that we can use the fridge. Fingers crossed, knowing now I sure did not get what I paid for. I have a 35 year old GE deep freeze that has never given us a single problem, an ancient Kenmore, same thing and then you buy the cream of the crop and you get a big fat lemon.

Maytag admin Aug 29, 2017

@Grillus7 @Grillus7:

Thank you for your review. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your Refrigerator. If you still need assistance, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (Complaintsboard), your user ID name (Grillus7), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to [email protected] We would be happy to review your concerns further.

Grillus7 Sep 01, 2017

@Maytag admin [email protected] is apparently an invalid email address.

Grillus7 Sep 04, 2017

@Grillus7 Maytag? Do you care to give me an email address that is NOT invalid by chance?

Grillus7 Sep 16, 2017

@Grillus7 Well, we had peace and quiet for 2 weeks, I guess we are lucky... Yesterday it started all over again. The noisy flapping ice maker door began again which MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL since it has been disconnected (not just with the shut off on the button, but unplugged as well inside the ice maker) I tried the email again that Maytag gave me to contact them with further information and this time it worked. Fingers crossed, looks like I'm having to count on them to give us some time of solution after all. Could we be among the 'certain lot' of known ones that are bad? I notice they only reply to some of the complaints and cannot tell why to some and not others.

Grillus7 Sep 22, 2017

@Grillus7 I received a call from Maytag/Whirlpool offering a discount on another product of theirs as the control panel that solves the problem is no longer available. I just do not understand why a company would stop making the apparent fix for the hundreds (600+?) of people who have to deal with an appliance that they paid a lot of money for that becomes useless in less than 10 years. Are they not embarrassed that many of us also own GE products that have been in our families since the 60/70/80s and are still doing their jobs? What would it take for someone like this massive world-wide manufacturing conglomerate with electronics divisions to make a control board to solve the problem with the product that THEY manufactured? Sadly, all they offer you is another one of their products. Sure, like I am going to trust that..

japonica Jun 29, 2017

in 2011 we decided to purchase all new appliances for our kitchen. We were retired and wanted new so we didn't have to worry about "fixing" them. We decided to buy MAYTAG as thru the years we saw the commercials that said "you never have to call a repairman" and showed him sitting there bored as can be. WE bought Model #MMV5208WW microwave and in 2014 it went out. We took it to the dealer who checked it and said it was the Magnetron tube, the most expensive part and it would cost us 380.00 to repair...we bought a new microwave instead as that was more than we could buy a new one for. Between that time and now our ice maker went out on our Model MVF2258XEW refrigerator, my husband repaired that as the extended warranty we bought did not cover that part, of course...then we woke to find water all over the floor in front of the freezer...we that wasn't covered either...the back of the freezer FROZE up...so my husband being handy, took the back off and was able to clear the frozen back and fix that...just this week, not quite 6 years after buying the refrig/freezer we came home to find everything in the freezer part was thawed...and called the repairmen to check it...they said the compressor had gone out...yes it is covered and we felt relief...however the labor, which is our part is 378.63...PLUSE THE FROZEN MEAT AND OTHER ITEMS IN THE FREEZER...we were shocked to say the least...so we were not smart in buying new MAYTAG appliances for our retirement because all we have done is replace or repair them...we are so disappointed in MAYTAG and recommend no one make the same mistake that we have ...needless to say the next time something goes wrong we will buy a new refriderator...funny thing is the one we replaced the new one with is 17 yrs old and still running in our sons home...never had to repair anything on it...ever...we should have stayed with that brand...

Maytag admin Jul 03, 2017

@japonica japonica:
    Thank you for your review.We are sorry to hear that your Refrigerator is not cooling. We would like to inquire further about your review with you. Please respond back to [email protected], with your name, phone number, street address, zip code, model & serial number, and date of purchase on the Refrigerator.We look forward to your reply.

• Pa
    Patricia Mcgeachy Mar 30, 2017

What u gonna do about it I got same problem with my maytag fridge one year from aarons

Maytag admin Mar 31, 2017

@Patricia Mcgeachy Dear Patricia Mcgeachy: We are sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Refrigerator.

• Sm
    Smilee5 Sep 25, 2016

Ice maker on 3 yr old Maytag french door bottom refrigerator stopped working yesterday. Not a happy Maytag customer! The old Whirlpool worked fine for years with only one repair.

• Wi
    Wisconsn Jun 30, 2016

Do you people think I or anyone else will consider for even a minute buying a Maytag appliance after being inundated with stupid 30 second videos of the New Maytag Man impersonating appliances to the tune of Colonel Boogies March or Boy George's "I'll tumble for you " ?

Fools you are, , , , Fools we are not ! !

Sandy Isenberg Jun 06, 2016

Microwave caught on fire last month when not in use. Son was cooking on stove and looked up and said microwave was on fire. Thought it was a joke but it wasn't. Fire went right threw the round glass to the bottom. Took pictures and it is in garage but getting ready to pitch it.

Maytag admin Jul 03, 2017

@Sandy Isenberg Sandy Isenberg: We're truly sorry to hear this. We would like to inquire further about your review with you. Please email us at [email protected] with with your name, phone number, street address, zip code, model & serial number, and date of purchase on the Microwave. We look forward to your reply.
    Thank you.

• Mr
    mrscaptjones Feb 11, 2016

Our fridge is much older this now being 2016. I feel lucky that it asted this long without the errant and insane flapping of the ice door and strobe light panel display. Our first experience occured two weeks ago with the mostnrecent at 3:00 a.m. night before last. We had a 5 yr extended warranty on this unit and I have alralready replaced the light display myself about 2yrs ago. I doubt that MAytag will help us since the fridge is now 8 yrs old but the answer is always mo unless you ask. Stay tuned

• Du
    dukenellie Jan 30, 2016

My 4-year-old 3-door Maytag refrigerator experienced same problems as other customers: Blinking lights, groaning sounds, off for two days, on for a couple of hours, off again. A call to Maytag/Whirlpool convinced me to buy the Repair +1 warranty for more than $350. No service available for one week. (Thank God we had a relic of an Amana in the garage.) Repair man determined it was an internal electrical problem and he could not fix it. Then he offered to take my Maytag away and move the Amana from the garage into my kitchen. I said I wanted to keep some of the parts (which I found online sell for $200 to $300). Oh, no, he was not interested in "helping" me if he could not have the whole refrigerator, claiming he intended to use it to teach young refrigerator technicians. ARE YOU KIDDING? He wanted my "unfixable" refrigerator so he could sell the parts! Then the call came from the warranty folks informing me that they'd refund what I'd paid for the warranty … but that I had nothing more coming. Well, thanks for nothing, Maytag! That was the last Maytag/Whirlpool appliance that I will ever purchase. Meanwhile, I gave my unfixable Maytag to a neighbor who is researching the problem, and I'll bet he'll figure out how to fix it.

Angela Schimenti Jan 21, 2016

I just got off the phone with Maytag regarding my 8 yr old model MFI2568AEQ which is having the same water/ice dispenser issues as noted in all previous posts. Customer Service (LOL) was of no use, even after speaking to supervisor. Same old story about there being no recalls or quality issues. I asked who decides if there is a quality issue and was told that it was the company engineers. I commented that of course they won't find anything wrong with their product. I stated I was a loyal Maytag customer, that all my kitchen and laundry appliances where Maytag, and believe that I deserve some type of credit for loyalty. The Customer Service Supervisor stated I may be eligible for the Loyalty Retention Program which would give me a discount in the purchase of a new Maytag refrigerator. I told her I wasn't financially in a place to purchase a new refrigerator and that if I was, based on recent events, I wouldn't be buying another Maytag. Very disappointed in Maytag.

• Ca
    Cathy J. Smith Nov 16, 2015

I have the same problem as others mention, lights flashing and ice door flapping. Second time over the holidays with family too!! The control board has to be replaced which generally is not available so count on waiting at least a week to get the part and then again to schedule a repairman. Ridiculous!! Problems with Maytag appliances started when Whirlpool bought the company and moved the manufacturing facility. Lost lots of experienced technicians so now they are junk!! They also raised the prices, put people out of work and don't stand behind their product. When I called the service center, they tried to tell me the model # didn't exist. Then offered to make an appointment in the area but could only promise a week from today but wouldn't give me the # so I could call myself. When I complained, they gave it to me and the local repairman told me he could come out immediately but he had to charge me an additional $15 as Whirlpool charged them for every call they made. CRAZY!! $115 to diagnose the problem when I already knew the problem. Also, told me the control boards are on backorder and could be weeks. NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Dd
    ddking5 Oct 21, 2015

I had the same problem as ice door flapping and lights blinking. I called Maytag and they told me, since refrigerator is bought in 2006, I can buy extended warranty and any repairs will be covered. I bought the warranty and they scheduled the appointment which was 1 week later. The repairman came, checked refrigerator and told me that High voltage board needs replacement. I ask him to get it. The board arrived next week. Repairman put the new board and still no luck. He told me that front low voltage board (behind buttons) has problem and needs to be ordered. Since it would be covered by warranty, I asked him to get it. A week later I followed up with the appliance repair shop and they said that the matter is now sent back to Maytag warranty dept and I need to check with them. Upon calling them they said that the repair can not be done as the part is not available and they had already refunded the warranty. So I was on my own. Since I am somewhat handy with electronics I decided to look into the issue myself. I looked up the forum and found the capacitor mod. I checked existing capacitors and they looked good. Still I changed it to see if it makes any difference. It did not help. I checked removed capacitors are they were good (Open resistance when checked with multi-meter). So I replaced them back. Then I tried to see the continuity between wires (gang of 6 wires) on the board at top left corner with wires coming from the top of the refrigerator going to door and found that Black/Green wire and Red wires were showing short. I was surprised and tried to find the circuit diagram online. The socket appears as J6 (It has 6 pin connector) and it showed that those wires are12V (Red) and Ground (Black/Green). Then I traced those wires and those were going to Evaporator circuit and ice maker. I opened Ice maker and disconnected the wires. Still there was short between those wires. So I opened bottom freezer and opened the rear panel. I found the evaporator fan. Once I disconnected it and checked continuity, I found the no short. I decided to power the fridge with evaporator fan removed to check if I can see it starts. To my amazement, it stated with all lights and numbers. I heard compressor kick in. Also the water dispenser was working. I check the cooling coil temp and it was cold too. I shut the refrigerator off and ordered fan from Amazon for $90. I received it 2 days later. Then I replaced it and the refrigerator is working again!! I observed that the with Ice maker is on, temperature in the HV board goes up quite high. There is no ventilation in the box. If Ice maker is turned off (there is a button on ice maker) it is in ok range. Since the capacitors are very close to SMPS (with heat sink), those get hot too. Could that be the reason those fails? don't know.

Maytag admin Mar 31, 2017

@ddking5 Dear ddking5: We are sorry to hear of your Refrigerator concerns.

• Pa
    Patricia Mcgeachy Aug 23, 2015

Omg had the icemaker replaced also the water is hot it don't make enough ice it's not worth the money I payed for it maytag need take this refrigerator and give us our money back patricia jersey City new jersey

PL

• Da
    Dangerous Dan Aug 06, 2015

is there any...flippin'...solution?

• Br
    BRT1 Jul 18, 2015

Same problem here - ice door flapping, lights blinking, compressor not running. Whirlpool claims there has never been a recall on my model (7 years old)l. They insisted there should be another digit after the model number. There isn't. So they don't even know what model numbers they've used. I tried replacing the capacitors but I get the same problem. I verified connectivity of my solder joints, even tried different combinations in case one of my replacement caps was bad. Trying to order a new board but it will be a few days. If anyone knows of other components to replace, I'd love to hear ideas...

• Ha
    Hans Trail BC Jul 13, 2015

Well, I guess I will have to join the dissatidfied Maytag fridge owner crowd. I cannot believe that whirlpool has not been shut down yet or held accountable to theirinferior products. When my wife suggested to start changing out some of our aging appliances and she really would like the stainlessbodies. Our 18 year old Maytag side by side fridge with icemaker had performed beautiful during this time with some minor problems to the icemaker function that I was able to repair myself. So why not upgrade to another Maytag Fridge. Wrong!!! Bought 3 door French model 36 inch with dispenser and Stainless steel Model MFT2574DEM01 on Nov 21 2014. After installment by our local furniture store personnel we started hearing a loud continuoussound coming from the fridge. This piercing sound was audible anywhere in our one level rancher home and was also commented on by whoever entered the house. A call was then made to the furniture store where the fridge was bought and we where more or less told that they were just selling the product and that Whirlpool Canada would have to be notified by myself with the problem. In other words I was told to pound sand.This started a trail of 3 different appliance repair companies, multiple phonecalls to the technical department and many, many e-mails to Whirlpool Canada customer service department. To date 6 seperate visits have been made by repairmen where the cheap plastic noisy fans have been replaced with identical Panasonic or China garbage. Plastic housing, plastic fan blades that are the problem with a constant sound, especially when in the icecube making function, similar to the sound you hear like the emergency signal on the TV or Radio. This high pitch sound overpowers conversation, music or the TV ANYWHERE in the house. It is now July 2015 and the problem still exists. After another E-mail to Whirlpool Canada I have been told that my warranty is only good for replacement parts only and a technician would have to declare my fridge not repairable in order to qualify for a refund or replacement and I should contact the technical department again. We all know how long that takes, right!!. " Press 1 for this, press 2 for that etc, etc and of course "please hold the line, all our agents are busy right now...". The last visit last Friday the appliance repairman (very capable and honest and patient) he had been told to phone the Whirlpool Technical department himself and report his findings. He went as far as holding the phone to the fridge so the long distance technician could hear the noise for himself. He was again told to place an order for a replacement fan but include the replacement of the icemaker fan housing. Expect to to get a call from the repairman in 2 weeks. Meanwhile here we are months later with the noise, inconvenience and frustration. In my opinion they will not admit that there is a design problem to the fridge unless all replacement fans are deemed defective. In their defence they have extended my warranty another six months from November 2015 (1 year) to May 2016, although this was related to me verbally and do not have this in writing. Never, never again. The manufacturer AND the store will never see me again and BTW I'll be keeping the rest of my older appliances of all makes and models.

• Sm
    Smchurch Jul 07, 2015

Maytag refused to help me! I have an almost 8 year old Amana with the very same problem I've called several times and even spoke to a supervisor. It's laughable, but I too purchased an extended warranty. If there is a class action law suit for this faulty component, please let me know how to add my name to the list. Maytag was once a reputable firm, now their products are terrible. I will never buy from them again!

• Cc
    Ccheever Jul 06, 2015

RE: Blinking lights, flapping ice dispenser on Maytage Ice2O model MFI2568AEB. Just to let all know, this problem started on my fridge Saturday, July 4, 2015. Today, Monday, July 6, I called Maytage customer service, not once, but 3 times. First I was told no record of this problem and they would connect me with parts department so I could order part - I hung up. Called dealer I purchased unit from in 2006 - $315 for part and labor and could repair tomorrow. Told them I would call them back. Second call to customer service - told same thing - no problems on record but I could purchase HVboard and 1 year warranty. Asked to speak with super, but on hold for over 20 mins. Called 3rd time. Third time being the charm! Took 1 hr and 50 mins but they have scheduled "goodwill service" and unit will be repaired tomorrow at no cost to me :).

• Di
    Dissatified Costumer Jul 02, 2015

We have had the repairman out here three times in three years for three different problems. Our icemaker stopped making ice about a year ago. When I live chatted with company representative, she too said there are no documented problems with the French door model number MFI2665XEB5. Actually you cannot find that model, it states it does not exist, the rep gave me a new model number. Perhaps they have had numerous complaints but you cannot find them since they change the model number. I feel three separate issues is many for two years. The rep, Kristin S. stated parts need to be replaced over time. I agree with her but three times in two years seems excessive. She was no help but I must say they train their representatives well because she did not budge. Needless to say this will be the last Maytag (Whirlpool) product I purchase since they obviously do not stand behind there products.

• Cr
    Crystal Tindal May 31, 2015

I just wished I researched before purchasing my Maytag; this is the worst refrigerator I have ever had. Always had problems with the door closing, a piece of junk, now it seems its not getting cold, everything is defrosting, not sure what to do, so not happy with his piece of crap.

• Ro
    Robyn McBroom May 18, 2015

My Maytag is about 4/5 maybe longer years old and I had the same problem with the ice flap going crazy. I did not buy extended warranty; but Maytag did pay to have fixed. Now I am having problems with the ice maker again. Think I would have been better off to buy a inexpensive refrigerator.

Anne Thomas May 10, 2015

I have ice build up in mine also causing it not to dispense ice correctly, I keep taking it out and emptying it, have only it about 3 months

johann augscholl May 09, 2015

one door will not close tight

• Fr
    frustrated LG customer Mar 05, 2015

It's not just your Maytag, my LG refrigerator is doing the same thing. The dispenser keeps making a dispensing noise and the lights on the display keeps blinking. I don't know if I would ever by a LG again, their customer service was no help, except for directing me in the direction of a huge bill and service repair men. Does anyone out in Internet land know how to fix this:-) ?

• Ga
    Gary S Mar 01, 2015

After paying $2600 for it at Lowes, two weeks later same problem. Would not make it good. Had to live out of ice chest for three weeks.

• Fa
    FarmerCharlie Feb 17, 2015

Here it is some 8 years after this door-flapping lights-flashing problem was first documented, and Maytag is still not dealing with it. I called the [protected] Maytag number and spoke with a woman who sounded very sympathetic as she asked me to hold while she researched the issue. When she came back and said that there was no record of any such problem in their files I knew that I was not dealing with an honest company, and that it would take many days and threats of lawsuits to get them to comply. I went ahead and bought the two capacitors for $3.00, and thirty minutes later had a working refrigerator again. Incidentally when I spoke with my local repair shop, the owner told me that the refrigerator was probably not wort the $350 he would have to charge me get a board and install it. He said these refrigerators are junk, and are not designed to last more than 10 years. Mine is not close to that old, and you can be sure its replacement will NOT be a Maytag or other Whirlpool product.

• Kj
    kjobaker45 Jan 12, 2015

I too had these same problems that everyone else is having. I had a repairman on the way until I read Steve Beck's post and went to the site he had listed:
    Oh my... I read his instructions and wow.. I stopped the repairman from purchasing the HV Control Panel ($226.00 part + the cost to put it in). I called a friend (who was experienced in soldering), bought the 2 capacitors and literally with in minutes it was done. REPAIRED for $ 5.00. That certainly is much better than the $300.00 to replace the entire board. THANK YOU ... THANK YOU Steve Beck for taking the time to post it.

• Tr
    Tracie B Dec 22, 2014

I am also a victim of the blinking lights and flapping ice dispenser lid. I was able to pull front cover off and unplug the board so we didn't get to spend the week over Christmas listening to it while waiting for the repair man.

• Se
    seniorarkie Dec 01, 2014

I have whirlpool same problem ice maker junk had 3 service calls and now out of warrenty, ice maker does't work still get water no problem makes terrible noise and would chop up ice not cubes its 13 months, got it from Best buy.

• Bo
    Boguespierre Nov 26, 2014

Hmmm... Whirlpool called back and said they would have to put the repair back to next Tuesday because they didn't have the part available (rather inconvenient). I was set to wait it out, but then realized that the compressor had ceased functioning and the fridge was warming up! Emergency relocation of perishables to the cellar beer fridge, deck etc. No way we would survive Thanksgiving without fridge, so made the trip to Radio Shack for the capacitors and did the repair myself. All seems to be working well!
    Canceled the service appointment (after another 15 minute wait). Cannot really fault Whirlpool - they were all set to service this dog of a fridge at no charge 6 years after its warranty expired...

• Bo
    Boguespierre Nov 24, 2014

Just happened to our MF!2568AES, exactly as described. Called the recommended 800 number, expecting no joy. Admittedly spent 20 minutes in the queue, but then the Whirlpool lady listened attentively, put me on hold for a minute while she did some research, then came back to say that they would fix it, but repair had to be carried out by a Service Techninician. Expected the worst, but she then confirmed no charge! It's Monday morning, and they are coming Friday morning - and I did ask her to confirm they would have an HV control board (this particular lady seemed familiar with the problem). I have disconnected the ice maker cable to stop the incredibly annoying noise, and hopefully will have everything sorted by Friday. Ironically, I had just dug out my trusty soldering iron and looked up my local Radio Shack, but I will leave it to the pros if no charge. I will try to remember to report back...

Grumpy Dave Nov 10, 2014

The Amana looks to be the same as the Maytag Ice20 (MFI2560AEW). It's at least in the same family, and they all use the same High Voltage controller board (it's programmable for the different models). My Maytag went out tonight with the lights flashing, and the door to the ice maker repeatedly opening and closing. I repaired the board myself using instructions posted online. It's a 20 minute fix replacing 2 capacitors (very easy to do if you're reasonably good with a soldering iron). Total cost: around $5.00 for the capacitors and a trip to the local mall and Radio Shack.

Amana and Maytag are both really Whirlpool. If you call customer service for each you get the same automated phone response with different welcome messages.

• J5
    j56304 Oct 28, 2014

I have an AMANA AFI2538AES and the lights are all flashing. Support told me to kill the power- did 3 x for them and nothing. Then did all the other things they asked. Then was told that they think it was the dispenser control board and that it would take a few weeks to get. I just had a local parts company come in and fix and it ended up costing $600 for trip charge, parts and labor to fix the main control board in the back. Thanks Amana for making me wait for the wrong part and for having to shell out another $600 on a $3k fridge and lets not forget the crappy service you provide. Never getting an Amana again!

• Bi
    Big Daddy Dave Oct 24, 2014

I also have the Model #12568AES less than 4 years old, compressor and mother board crashed. piece of junk.

Sara SA Morgan Oct 16, 2014

Sorry guy's an gal's but I hate to break it to all of yous but my fan's now have gone out in mine :( This expensive pos is exactly that! There will never be another Maytag in my home! NEVER!!! ~ Sara

• Go
    goats Sep 23, 2014

Just called Whirlpool about this same problem . No luck with them I just don't understand how something thats happening with so many people and cant get any help

sajkbailey Sep 22, 2014

My fridge started doing this same thing over the weekend. I was somewhat hopeful after reading that this was a common and known issue and also hearing that Maytag/whirlpool would still cover the parts. However that appears to no longer be the case I made zero headway with then regardless of the supporting evidence to the issue and even working my way up through a manager they refused to cover the parts. At one point I was told that I am not a certified technician so therefore I am not qualified to say for sure that the HV control board is even bad..have they read the massive amount of info on this????I will try to repair myself using the detailed instructions I found on the web and hope that works because spending $225.79 + tax+ shipping is money I just don't have right now.

• Ke
    Kerry bridgwood Sep 17, 2014

everyone with flapping and flashing lights it is the high voltage board in back of fridge had mine fixed free from maytag in 2013 it happened again but to late now the line for freon rotted and freon leaked out anyone have this problem or know if it's on recall? please hurry waiting for repairman and if I don't have to pay why should I!!!

• Li
    Linda Isham Sep 15, 2014

I too have had immediate issues upon purchasing the Maytag French Door unit in January of 2013. My unit had to have a new compressor, lost all food within the regular warranty period. Took over a week (no refrigerator) to get part, no reimbursement for loss of food in refrigerator or freezer. Now a little over a year later the ice maker quits working, have to purchase a new ice maker for $300.00 had it installed, less than 30 days later it is not working again. Is Maytag ever going to make these units right? I will NEVER purchase another Maytag or Whirlpool product (apparently the same maker). My Model number is MFI2665XEM7. UNBELIEVABLE POOR Customer Service!!