[Resolved] Maytag / French Door Refrigeratorproblems with the ice maker!

I bought my maytag ice2o French door refrigerator from home depot 8 mos ago. Loved it when I got it, but soon after had problems with the ice maker. They replaced the ice maker. Now the ice maker is still having problems. Its not strong enough to break up all the ice. The ice cubes freeze in big blocks causing the system to clog. Last night the thing took on a mind of its own. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing all on its own, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. Finally we had to unplug it so we could get 4 hours sleep. Plug it in this morning and its still doing it. My biggest concern is what happens after the warranty runs out. I already know this thing has mechanical problems. Did I get a lemon or is it junk?? Either way I'm stuck with a $2,800 refrigerator that seems like it has bad engineering.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Feb 27, 2013

Hello lbedell. My name is Melanie and I am a representative with Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard.com), your user ID name (lbedell), your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, your ticket number (34374), and email the requested information to [email protected] We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Amber.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Apr 08, 2013

Hello alnappier. My name is Amber and I am a representative with Maytag. We truly apologize for the frustrations you have endured regarding your refrigerator. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please email us at [email protected] and provide us with your complete contact information as well as the model and serial number of your appliance. Please also include the name of the site you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard) along with your user name and your ticket number (39710). We would be happy to review your concerns further. Best regards, Amber.

• Maytag's response · Mar 31, 2017

Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
    We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at [email protected] with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.

Brandy Briscoe Apr 02, 2007

I am having the exact same problems with my 9 month old ice2o. No ice, no water, the lights are all blinking, and the clacking noise is so loud that you can hear it throughout the house. This is not the first time we've had problems with this fridge. First the door alarm wouldn't work, then it worked too much, then it seemed to fix itself as we were waiting a couple of weeks for someone to come look at it. I'm starting to think that mine is not a lemon, maybe they are badly engineered pieces of very expensive junk.

• Ga
    Gary Apr 03, 2007

Add me to your club. My Ice2O (nicknamed Ice2NO) fridge started flapping and flashing today. Although another symptom that we had was the ice fan was not running so the fridge was not cooling. No sooner after I crammed a wooden spoon into the ice chute to silence it, it started to scream like a banshee, beeping every few seconds. A while after that the compressor quit running, so I emptied it and unplugged it. I'll see if a new control board fixes my problem.

BTW, I'm about 15 days out of warranty.

• Kris Apr 09, 2007

I'm the newest member of your club! Wish I weren't. My lovely Ice20 is out of service with the exact same problem as stated above!!!! I've been without any fridge at all for over a week now. I have 5 kids and no food. Sears wouldn't hurry shipping up because they said "it wasn't a matter of life or death", as put by Dave in Arizona.

I paid $3200 for mine with the extended warranty. OUCH!!!

I hope this doesn't happen again.

• Kris Apr 14, 2007

Day 13 still haven't fixed this fridge! I listen the the ice maker open and close 24 hours a day! It is horrible.

The part still is on back order!!!

• Vi
    Vincent Apr 23, 2007

I'm also got th same problem with Maytag French Door Refrigerator. Anybody know if there is a recall on this unit?

• Be
    Beni DAgostino May 23, 2007

Well, I Have the same problem with my fridge, the ice maker is junk, I am still under warranty and hope to get results, the ice makes very little ice and when it does make ice it does not dispense it very well and cannot break up the ice that have formed together, also I notice that the back of the ice maker forms a large chunk of ice that it cannot break up. I called maytag and they are sending a repair man out next week, I wish I had read first. They also have said that they have not run into this before??? Yeah right...

Wish me luck!!!

Model # MFI2568AES Bought on Feb 13 2007.

• Kc
    k cutillo May 28, 2007

Has anyone had problems with the right door popping open? This seems like a bad design. If the left door is closed the right one pops open.

• Ce
    celeste bradham May 30, 2007

I don't have problems with the ice maker, but the water dispenser has stopped working twice. It is one month out of service with Maytag. I bought the extended warranty from Home Depot - a huge mistake! Home Depot service department has been rude and wanted me to try a few things before they came out! Now I had to take an entire day off work and am waiting for a call... Anytime from 8-5, I was told. If they "No Show" I'm blowing a gasket.

• Eb
    ebonybee Jun 03, 2007

Purchased french door/dispensing ice from door 18 months ago from home depot. Now have the lights flashing on the control panel and the ice flap opening and closing like stated in other post. This is my second dud of a Maytag Refrigerator product. Luckily I have a second small refrigerator and can move some of the things.

I think Magtag products are a bunch of crap. Regardless of the sale price, when I purchased a new washer/dryer a month ago... I didn't consider the Maytag brand.

Matt Civis Jun 03, 2007

Same thing here. The serviceman said this never happened before and it was a fluke. We have been waiting for parts now for almost three weeks. My wife has had three major events planned in advance and now we had to do without a fridge for 2,500.00.

You sure think you would get supreme service we are so disappointed in Maytag.

• Ju
    Julie Fellers Jun 07, 2007

I am having problems with my ICE20 also!!! My ice maker cannot keep up, dispenses ice slow!!! My water is also sloooowww! I had the lights blinking, flap opening and closing, fan stopped working, it has been a nightmare! The repair guy said it was the main board and ordered a part, 10 days later he showed up with a used part sent to him from Maytag, installed it and it did not work. Waited 2 more weeks and then went in to see how much longer on my part and the said at least 3 more weeks we are having a lot of problems with this fridge! After the told me they could not get me a part for at least 3 more weeks because it was on back order, I threw a fit and said I would never buy Maytag again, all of a sudden they had a part that they could overnight me and get the repair guy to my house on a Saturday! My fridge was 3 days past warranty. They agreed to pay for the part and I would have to pay 65.00 for the labor. I just wonder how long before this part goes bad again and I have to wait another month or more with no fridge!!! I think there needs to be something done about this legally by all of us with this particular fridge. Maytag is currently running an advertisement for the Maytag Ice20 and advertising as always like they will last forever with no problems! FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!! I would like to be fully reimbursed by Maytag for the price of my fridge and I would like to be compensated for the inconvenience me and my family suffered for being without a fridge for over a month!

David Holdaway Jun 07, 2007

We are having similar problems with the icemaker. We had a new one put in only two months after we installed ours. Now we've had ours 13 months and are now having the problem with the circuit board and the lights are flashing and the flap is opening and closing all the time. We have a repair man coming over tomorrow morning and now I'm dreading what they will say. I just want this fixed right away and now I'm not sure that will happen. I'm beginning to think that Maytag has put out a bad product and we may always have trouble with it.

• Ro
    Ron Kadan Jun 13, 2007

Well, this all clinched our decision not to buy this, or any Maytag product. Fortunately our local Home Depot appliance person, told us not to get this refrigerator due to the continual problems. We have a coupon from a class action against the Maytag Neptune Washer and am afraid to use it!

Jackie Manfredi Jun 15, 2007

Said to say, but I am too one of these people fooled by false advertisement on this Maytag product. I have had this refrigerator for about 3 months before I had my first problem with the stupid ice maker. Stopped making ice for about 4 days. Called a few service companies, most of them said they will not cover the warranty we didn't purchase the product from them. So when I finally got someone to come look at it, they never showed up! Ice machine started working again on its own for about 4 months. We are now going through the same thing again. Ice is ALL stuck together in the back of the maker. I HATE this refrigerator! It looked to good to be true for it to really work. LOL.

• Te
    Terry Thompson Jun 16, 2007

I wish I knew about these problems before I bought this. I just thought the ice make not keeping up or dispensing ice very slowly and then at times making huge chunks of ice that won't break up was normal for this unit. Now, 12 months and 1 week after purchase the same thing is happening to my until, the lights are all flashing and the ice door is opening and closing all the time. Has anyone found a fix yet? Home Depot said this was the latest and greatest, now I'm wishing I never walked in their door.

• Me
    Melissa Varley Jun 17, 2007

We are having the EXACT problem... with ours. I'm so ill. Did anyone get any resolution?

• Ro
    robert pirana Jun 17, 2007

Same flopping problem, the biggest peace of garbage refrigerator.

• Be
    Beni DAgostino Jun 17, 2007

Finally fixed, the icemaker was allowing too much water in the tray causing the ice to build up, they adjusted the water flow and has been working now since my last post about 25 days now, perfect ice making capability, and perfect dispensing for now.

• So
    SonyaKall Jun 18, 2007

Hi there!

Been on the phone with Maytag AND their service affiliate as we also bought the extended warranty. Absolute S..T! The ice maker went during the initial year (Purchased from Home Depot 3/06) The initial delivery date was also not honored and had to wait over a week for the delivery. We had already gotten rid of our other refrigerator so had no fridge. Have 2 toddlers at home and after screaming at home depot they agreed to loan us a small fridge for the week and 1/2. Then 2 months after we got it... the same ice problem you all describe. Still covered under warranty during the initial year and they came and fixed that. Now we're into extended warranty time and water is all over my kitchen and the basement as the filter clogged and never emitted the "replace Filter" light. I changed the filter on my own and submitted the claim. Turns out the service company said the little lights were not covered so had they come out I would have had to pay the service charge!! Now
    since friday I have the blinking lights, ice door flap, and the
    temp in the fridge and freezer is off. As it's a "NO COOL" issue, I was told the order would be expedited. Been on the phone all weekend and still nothing. One maytag "dependability" warranty rep even called their service company directly on my behalf AND THEY TOLD HER NO COOLING WAS NOT A PRIORITY ISSUE!!! WELL WHAT THE HECK IS? I have 2 kids and 90 degree weather here and no fridge or freezer!! Waiting to see if the "DEPENDABILITY" rep will be able to expedite my service.

• De
    Dennis Jun 18, 2007

My Maytag Model # MFI2568AES just begin to make the same flapping noise flashing electronic panel yesterday which is 11 month after the purchase. I wish that I had read the comments from others before making my purchase. What is not clear is the causes and the fixes. There is no water flow or ice making even though there is water coming from outside through the tube. Did anyone ask the serviceman how it is fixed? It looks like this issue is wide spread and I wonder why it is not in Maytag troubleshooting web page. This issue deserves a class action.

• Ge
    gerard odulio Jun 20, 2007

I have the same lights flashing and ice door popping opening and closing. it just happened a week ago. VERY ANNOYING! isn't weird that this happens exactly a year after warranty runs out. how do we go about going thru with a class action lawsuit? Do we need to get a lawyer? I have some friends.

• Ka
    Kathy Huffman Jun 20, 2007

I just had the new French door Maytag delivered yesterday from Home Depot. It pops & makes the loudest noises you ever heard!! I thought something was wrong with it, but according to the book it says this is all normal. My old GE was very quiet. I always thought Maytag was the best, but now I am really getting concerned after spending $2500 & reading all this negatives on it.

BRAD FOLLIS Jun 21, 2007

Same problem with my ice o2 as with others , flashing lights ,no cooling, ice door flaps, someone post the fix please & the part #

• Wa
    Wanda Patterson Jun 23, 2007

Well, my new Ice2O was a gift from my mother-in-law who works for Maytag in Ohio. It was free, so I figured why not take it. Oh my God! The ice maker only worked for 3 days!! I have 2 teenagers and an 11 year old! I NEED an ice maker! I've called everywhere to have a service man come out. I can't find anyone who will work on the piece of junk! I have been breaking ice cube trays for 2 months now! I think I will go buy a GE and donate this one to charity! No, I would give it to anyone, I'll trash it!!

J L Patrick Jun 24, 2007

We are having the very same problem with our ice20 Maytage refrigerator. All the lights are blinking ice door flap popping , no ice making, not water dispensing and the temp in the fridge and the freezer is off. We purchased in 2006. It is a few months out of warranty. I haven't contacted my dealer with problem since this happened on Saturday evening (dealer closed). I will contact on Monday . I will post what happens. I am interested in what the fix is!

Dan Jun 24, 2007

Since Saturday I have the blinking lights, ice door flap, What will fix the problem? What part do I need to ask for. Has anyone got their money back?

• Mi
    Michael Sargent Jun 25, 2007

Having same problem with blinking lights / flapping door. Found this article with a fix: http://applianceguru.com/view_topic.php?id=13035&forum_id=1&jump_to=75815

David Holdaway Jun 27, 2007

I wrote in almost 3 weeks ago and our refrigerator is still not repaired. We are still waiting on parts and they don't expect to get them all for another week. I would advise anyone not to buy this refrigerator. I know I'll never buy another Maytag product.

Brian Jun 28, 2007

My Maytag refrigerator Model # MFI2568AES front panel lights began flashing and the ice maker door started opening and closing every couple seconds (very annoying). I called Maytag and of course my warranty expired by 10 days.

I described the symptoms and they said they never heard of the problem happening anywhere else. Then they told me the price of someone coming out to fix it. So I dusted off my tools and got to work myself.

What I found was a faulty control board. I took the control board out and found two faulty 68O microfarad capacitors. They are $1.50 a piece (much better than the $150 for the board, plus $65.00 house visit fee, and labor cost). It is running fine now ( for now ).

• Ka
    Kathy Lyles Jun 28, 2007

Wish I had known some of this info before I purchased my Ice2O Maytag 8 months ago. Thankfully we haven't experienced all the flashing lights that some of you talk about, but I consider all your comments a real heads up!! We have a slightly different problem, actually two. Our ice dispenser throws ice cubes everywhere except in the glass and they come out in "herds" all over the floor! Additionally, we cannot keep anything on the upper shelf next to the icemaker unit unless we want it FROZEN. It freezes, tea, juice, yogurt, EVERYTHING. Two service calls have not fixed the problem. Today the Maytag phone rep asked if I had thought about not keeping anything near the little vent on the icemaker. Well DUH!!! I'm sure glad I called her! I feel so ripped off! For $2400 I should be able to store food ANYWHERE in fridge without it freezing, and I don't think we should have to pick up ice cubes off the floor!!! It doesn't make enough as it is, without half of them be wasted. Wonder what the NEXT repair person will say on July 3!!!

J L Patrick Jun 28, 2007

Update on my post 4 days ago. Parts on back order and don't know when Maytag will get. Let you know what follows.

• De
    Debbie Ouellette Jun 30, 2007

Add us to the list of unsatisfied owners of the maytag monster fridge. We bought ours a year ago and within weeks the icemaker quit working. It took three weeks to get a repair guy to come fix it. Every time I put produce in the drawers they freeze. I thought what a perfect little shelf by the icemaker to put cartons of eggs, Sure if you like them frozen. Now a year and one month after purchase we too have blinking lights, ice door flapping, freezer shut down, no ice or water in the door. It took two weeks this time to get the repair guy to come. We waited another week for a new circulating fan and door. But on the day it was going to be fixed the repair mans truck blew the transmission, so my husband met him in the middle of the road somewhere to transport the new refrigerator door. The guy showed up hours later just to tell us we need a new computer board, two more weeks with out a fridge. We have the extended warranty, other wise it would have cost over 1000.00 in parts and labor according to our repair guy. He also said he's never heard of a refrigerator doing these things before. Now my husband wants to go buy a new smaller fridge to keep in the garage as our emergency back up. We paid 2,500.00 for our monster plus 99.00 for the extended warranty. It is suppose to cover 250.00 in food loss if your fridge breaks down. I’ll try to keep you posted on how that goes. No sense food shopping when there is no place to put it.

J L Patrick Jun 30, 2007

A&E installed at the HV board in my refrigerator this morning. After the tech programmed the board the thing works like a charm. I observed all this installation and saw that it is nothing to it. If you have to anyone can install it and the programming instructions come with the part. They are also in a plastic bag tapped to the bottom of the refrigerator. I am so glad the flashing lights and the sound of the ice door flapper has disappeared.

My refrigerator is 4 months out of warranty but Whirlpool paid for the repair. It just took 7 days to get a simple circuit board installed.

• Ca
    Caryn Stephenson Jul 01, 2007

This is outrageous! It is unbelievable that such an expensive fridge is a hunk of junk. Bought ours in Mar06, installed Aug06, but of course they won't honor any warranty when it's been working for less than a year. Friday it was fine, Saturday morning the lights began, the flapping--it's horrible. We stuffed a towel up there to stop the noise for sleeping, but we've thrown out our food as it is no longer cold. Four kids and we are using their dorm-style fridge to get by. This is clearly a flawed line of refrigerator and ought to be recalled. The new ads make me so mad! No cool importance meant nothing to the Maytag rep. Plus, our area is serviced Tues and Thurs but they are not coming till at least July 9. The rep said this was an isolated incident. I intend to print these comments and fax them to her and say this is what you would call isolated? I'm just sick about the whole thing. Never never never maytag again. The flapping and light show continues...

• Ju
    Juanell Mizzell Jul 03, 2007

For almost 2 weeks all we've heard is that stupid flapping noise and clicking. When I bought this H2 dud it was for the kitchen of my dreams. Man what a nightmare!!! I also purchased an extended warranty from Sears. May be they will get it fixed by July 2009 when the service contract runs out. It has already taken 2 weeks to get a service man out here. Guess it will be another month or more waiting for a part. If I had this to do over I certainly WOULD NOT buy anything Maytag. I'm all for a class action suit.

• St
    Steve Beck Jul 05, 2007

I experienced the same Maytag Ice2o model MFI2568AES lights flashing, flapper noise others have described last night at 3am. Mine had just started the crazies but only when the compressor ran, so it still stayed cool.

I researched the problem and found a possible solution from the Samurai Appliance Repair Man at http://applianceguru.com/view_topic.php?id=13035&forum_id=1&jump_to=75815

Not 100% sure if that was the issue, I called the local repair firm. I was quoted $130+tax for a service call + parts + tax. If it was the part from the SARM article, if available, was listed online for $150 so I a total $300+ bill had me willing to give this a try.

Today, I got the parts, installed them, and the problems are gone, fridge is cold. And I'm not an appliance repair person.

The repair can be done by anyone who has a small (~25 watt) pencil tip soldering iron and might have assembled an electronic kit (like Heathkit or Velleman) meaning you can un-solder and solder some parts, and not afraid to take something carefully apart and put it back together without any parts left over.

Presuming it's the same issue with the power supply filter capacitors and nothing else is fried on the HV Control Board, you'll need about $5 -25 in replacement parts and supplies from your local Radio Shack who still stocks replacement electronic parts (you need 2 capacitors minimum, plus soldering supplies if you don't have them). I figured I could risk $5 on parts to possibly save a $300 repair bill. And they were going to need to replace the board anyway, so...

If anyone is interested, I can send a description and parts list. Just send me an email through this message board. I'll include pics of what I did to help you do it too.

• Ni
    Nick DeNapoli Jul 07, 2007

Maytag seems to be covering up the problems with the French Door Ice 2-0 Refrigerator. I have had all of the symptoms mentioned in the above complaints: flapping of ice door; lights blinking; items freezing up in the refrig; loss of cooling; several visits from service techs who seem baffled by the problems; Replacement of the control boards several times; waiting for service within windows of 8 & 9 hour time frames; Waiting for parts to arrive; Unfortunately a new problem has occurred: The WATER DISPENSER ACTIVATES AND RUNS ON ITS OWN & WILL NOT SHUT OFF unless the water is shut off leading to the refrig. Luckily I was in the room when it happened, but if it occurs when I am gone, I can imagine the damage to our house. IT IS A NIGHTMARE waiting to happen! I think we need a class action law suit against the company. Maytg pretends they have never before heard of the problems mentioned by scores of dissatisfied owners. Now that we have so much money invested in the "Edsel" of Refrigerators, we seem to be stuck with seemlessly endless problems and no solutions. UNHAPPY OWNERS OF THE ICE 2-0: Let's bombard the company with complaints & letters, calls, emails; contact consumer protection groups; find a law firm that will have the guts to take this matter to court - whatever it takes for the company correct the terrible engineering design they have created.

• St
    Steve Beck Jul 07, 2007

For those who can solder want to try this themselves, Radio Shack part numbers are: 272-1032 - 1000uF Electrolytic Capacitor (2 wires come out one end) for $1.59 and 272-1030 470uF Electrolytic Capacitor (2 wires come out one end) for $1.29. If you don't have any desoldering aids, you might also want to pick up a Desoldering bulb P/N 64-2086 which acts like a mini vacuum to remove the old solder as you remove the failed components. I can't see a way to post the pics I took so I may have to put these up on a web site someplace. Go get your parts and stay tuned...

• Pa
    Pat Vernier Jul 08, 2007

The front panel on our 15-month-old Maytag Ice20 just started blinking and the ice chute cover flapping this evening - how annoying. We had problems with the ice maker shortly after we purchased the unit and that was taken care of fairly promptly.

However, after reading through all of these posts, I don't think this problem will be taken care of as quickly. Unfortunately my husband or I are not electronically-inclined to be able to attempt to fix it ourselves, so we're at the mercy of the repair people.

I'll never buy another Maytag product either - at least not a refrigerator! Plus in the store it looked like it was going to have all sorts of room in it - not so in real life. We're very unhappy with the blinking, flapping unit!

• Al
    Alison Jul 08, 2007

I bought my Ice2O March of 2006. This morning we came downstairs to hear a strange clicking noise and the ice flap is going crazy. The lights are flashing and the ice and water don't work. Since it is Sunday, no one is open, so I scheduled service on Maytag's website. No one can come until Wednesday. We figured that we could live without the ice and water for a few days, until tonight - when the 'temp alarm' starting going off saying that the fridge temp was 56! We had to throw out as much as possible to fit things in the fridge in the garage (which is a five year old GE that has never had a problem!!!) Now I have no fridge and five kids, it's summer - so they are all home - and I find out that a ton of other people have the same problem and Maytag doesn't seem to care.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices