Marlborobad cigarettes!

K Review updated:

I have been smoking Marlboro Cigarettes for 14 years and the last month all the packs of Marlboro Smooths and Menthol lights in 100's have been bad. The cigarettes have been going out in the middle of smoking them for no reason. Pluse the cherry is falling off of the cigarette in the middle of smoking it. I have never had this problem before it is very weird. This is very annoying and has burnt wholes in closes and my couch. This is happening to the packs my husband has been purchaseing also. You just sit there holding the cigarette and the next thing you know the cherry has fallen off and is on the cough or burning your pants. Plus the whole go to take a drag off the cigarette and nothing cause it has gone out while you are sitting there holding it. Is there something that can be done to stop this why is it happening. I don't want to change cigarette's but if this keeps happening i may have to try something different cause it is costing me money very annoying.

• 3
      Aug 02, 2008

I agree !!

even M. Lights of last March !!

• T
      Nov 11, 2008

yes, it is very wierd when your cig, goes out in the middle of smoking it. i have never had this problem till about 2 months ago, and i am in the midwest. i have also on two occasions found a brown stick about and inch long, mixed in with the tobacco, making the cigarette burn or run down one side, more than the other, and you notice a big change in the taste when you encounter one of these sticks.

i hope they change back my medium's

Nov 27, 2008

yes, i have found this to happen to my marlboro mediums starting about two weeks ago. i told some people and they thought i was crazy. i wrote a letter very similar to yours asking what is going on to philipmoris and still have yet to get a reply. then yesterday i was having thanksgiving with my family, a bunch of smokers, and my brother asks me if i have noticed my cigs going out. i went on to tell him people thought i was crazy but he said his friend noticed it then we brought it up to the rest of my family and my cousin and his friends had discussed it too. my dad smokes winstons which are not made by philip moris and his do the same. we need to band together and do something about this. see what is going on. i URGE everyone to write letters not just on this but ESPECIALLY to philip morris. maybe they'll get sick of all of us and post something about what is going on, , , unlikely but try anyways.

Nov 27, 2008

have been smoking Marlboro, Winston Cigarettes for 37 years and the last month all the packs of Winston Ultra lights have been bad. The cigarettes have been going out in the middle of smoking them for no reason. Plus the cherry is falling off of the cigarette in the middle of smoking it. I have never had this problem before it is very weird. This is very annoying and has burnt holes in clothes and my couch. This is happening to the packs my friend has been purchasing also. You just sit there holding the cigarette and the next thing you know the cherry has fallen off and is on the couch or burning your pants. Plus the when you go to take a drag off the cigarette nothing, cause it has gone out while you are sitting there holding it. Is there something that can be done to stop this, and why is it happening. It is costing me money and is very annoying. I have a feeling that this is being done by the cig mfg's in an attempt to curb fires being started by cigs. Please write to your Cig. Mfg. about these issiues also.

Nov 27, 2008

R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company currently uses fire standards compliant (FSC) paper on all of its cigarettes being shipped into the below list of states to comply with regulations passed by the state legislature. The legislation requires cigarette manufacturers to sell products that meet "Fire Safety Standards for Cigarettes." Please be aware, however, that these cigarettes are not "fire safe" and should be handled with the same care and attention as any other cigarette.

The primary change to the cigarettes is a change in the cigarette paper. The cigarette paper is banded, or thicker at selected intervals on the cigarette rod. These bands slow down the burn rate and increase the likelihood that the cigarette will go out when it is not actively being smoked. Results from our taste-testing indicate that some consumers may perceive a slight difference in taste but some do not. More consumers noticed a difference in the way the cigarettes burn. The heavier bands slow down the burn rate of the cigarette at those points. If the cigarette is not being actively smoked at the time that burning coal ash reaches the band, the cigarette may go out. No cigarette is "fire-safe", regardless of the type of cigarette paper it uses.

List of Current FSC States: New York, Vermont, California, Oregon, New Hampshire, Illinois, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, Rhode Island, Kentucky, Montana and New Jersey.

This is the reason Cigs are falling apart. The gorerment has inforced it. Although it dosent appear that this type of paper is keeping cigs from burning things like it is meant to do. Also, I live in Minn. and do not see Minn. on this list. So why then am I have this trouble?

Apr 24, 2017

@Neil Jr I'm having these same issues too and I live on the Mississippi Louisiana border and both states sell these f'd up cigarettes.

Jan 08, 2009

I Hate the new safe cigerets they SUCK

Apr 20, 2009

The government seems to butt into everything and I honestly don't think that they should including raising the taxes on the cigarettes. Raise taxes on alcohol as well.
    As far as the way they burn? yes, that was the government because they said there were too many fires caused by them but now... I think it is so much worse! Yes, the cherry falls off all the time and the paper as it burns falls off as well. I have a huge burn mark on my leg from that happening to me. There are holes in my pants, my car and burns in my carpet from it. I think that it is horrible that this is happening. Someone needs to do something before it gets worse.
    I also don't see my state on that list which is Texas and it is happening here as well. What can we do?

May 05, 2009

I live in Ohio. I smoke Marlboro 100's and have for years. I am glad I found this discussion! The last 2 wks I have noticed that my Marlboro cigarettes seem loosely packed. I can even feel it when buying my packs. (before opening them) Then when I smoke them, they do not burn evenly and they burn out quicker. And, I have noticed my breathing is not right! Are they possible putting something else in them to offset the money they have lost from people quitting or switching brands? I know it sounds crazy but there is a huge change in my cigs!! I just need to quit altogether!!

May 10, 2009

All the above comments are correct. As an active smoker (leprosy factor) when riding in my car and temporarily putting down the lit Winston cigarette in the ashtray, when I shortly pick it up again, the lit end falls on my clothing and the ash(s) fly all over the interior of my car. They'll do everything they can to stop everyone from having a pleasant 7 minutes of smoking "enjoyment". Maybe we should all start rolling our own? -KS

May 26, 2009

I've smoked Marlboros for decades, but the last two cartons I bought are lousy; they go out, ashes fall all over the place (Fire Safe Paper?!?! - LOL), and they leave a strange taste. And they're being shipped to Colorado. If the next carton is like the last two, I'll change to a non-RJR brand. What a stupid way to try and increase sales.

Jun 01, 2009

I have three burns in a brand new shirt because of that damn paper! First time I wore the shirt, the cherry fell off my cig and burned through a crease in my shirt and kept going.

Jun 03, 2009

I smoke Marlboro Smooths and for the last month or better every single pack I have bought has burned weird. They burn unevenly, go out right in the middle of smoking them, burn with a strange brown residue down the cigarette and burn with holes in them. Then of course, once the hole has burned large enough, the whole top of the cigarette from the burn hole up, falls off. I have also noticed them burning out kind of hollow looking, like the cherry is burning into the middle of the cigarette. I'm sick of it. We get charged outrageous prices for cigarettes and the cigarette companies STILL feel like it's alright to sell us inferior products.

Jun 03, 2009

If you want to sign the petition to get rid of the FSC's there is a link to a petition. You should read some of the stuff there. These things are going to cause serious long-term health problems above and beyond what regular cigarettes will.

Jun 16, 2009

Same thing happening to me, I looked at them in the light and the paper has some fat shiny rings areound the paper where it stops burning. And I have also noticed small holes in them.

Jun 26, 2009

I agree with all of these comments and it is so frustrating! I live in New Mexico, so these faulty cigarettes are being shipped here too. I am seriously considering switching to another brand, and I have been smoking Marlboros half of my life!

• G
      Jul 02, 2009

Our government is whacked, people! Leapin' Lemurs, what next? Fire-resistent alcohol? Why fiddle with cigarettes like that? Good greif, just let us smoke and leave us alone, why don't they? Health care is not so exorbitantly costly because of cigarettes...it is so outrageously costly due to the fact that we give illegal aliens free health care, so long as they are pregnant. So, Uncle Sam, why not simply pass out free birth control to other countries, and take your grubby hands off of our cigarettes...for crying out loud!

I, personally, am seriously going to have to quit smoking if all my Marlboro Lights taste this bad from now on. Thank goodness for the new electronic cigarette. I would not be able to stomache chewing tobacco.

• J
      Jul 24, 2009

I agree. I am 37 and have been smoking for the past 17 years. The same brand. Every time. Never changed. Always Marlboro Menthol lights. But after the past three cartons tasting like a#@... Finding tree trunks in my ashtray... And constantly having to re-light an already nasty tasting smoke to get my money out of it...
    I've changed brands! Course, I changed to an off brand called L&M. Then heard they were produced by Philip Morris TOO! But, they smoke just like my cigs of old and NO NASTY FLAVOR INVADES MY MOUTH! I can't really taste any difference between them and that OTHER brand ~ well, maybe just a tad. But, Im not going to lose my security deposit on my rental because the carpet is full of holes either. So, I guess I could write some letters or call a multi-millionaire or two... complain and sob and demand till my mouth and lungs scream for another cancer stick! But then hey... Maybe I'll just stop buying there damn brands and maybe... just maybe... they'll come calling on me?!?!?!?

Because come on folks... Whatever dummy said that the pen was mightier than the sword. Never put cash on the scales to see what truly trumps all other things!

Jul 26, 2009

ME TOO! switching brands after all these years!

Aug 04, 2009

Wow, me and my boyfriend thought that we were going crazy!! We lived in Florida, and have always smoked Marlboro Lights, and when we came to New Mexico, we noticed that the cigarettes burned strange. They would go out, hollow out, and the ash would fall off while I was driving down the road!!! Why in the hell would they change the paper, when it makes it worse!? Not to mention the nasty taste when you take a drag of a cigarette that is out, or you have to puff it 4 or 5 times to relight it again. I bought a pack of Marlboro Smooths, and they were the same way. What I'm wondering is, why aren't these cigarettes sold in Florida? Do you think it has to do with how much money they get from each state for tobacco sales? Because, they could have some stupid thing going, if a state doesn't provide a certain amount of money for cigarettes, they ship the crappy ones... I may as well buy a pack of 305's because they taste about the same now! I don't understand why they would make cigarettes more expensive, and then change the quality... & they call it fire safe paper, when the cherry falls off once every 4 cigarettes you smoke. It makes me so mad, and the bad thing is, theres probably nothing we can do about it, besides quit... But they make the things so addictive, we can't lol! God I hate them so bad!

Aug 05, 2009

Steph-eventually all cigarettes in all states will be FSC so if you want to put a stop to it- try the petition:

Aug 09, 2009

From what I understand it the government butting their nose in places that have nothing to do with them again. But I dont understand why marlboro didnt just pay the fines. I would rather pay the fines and keep my customers happy and keep the smokes the same. This is not much different the the terrible health plan the government is craming down our throats. This is only going to get worse over the years first our smokes then our health care next its going to be that we cant enjoy a nice refreshing cold BEER in our own homes, or maybe we will have to pay taxes on our animals and children. I may be wrong but this is getting out of control. We all need to take a stand against this and get our smokes back the their normal taste. SHAME ON U MARLBORO!

• G
      Aug 09, 2009

Yes, it is true that eventually all cigarettes will have this new flame ###ant paper. I have heard that people are buying up the old cigs, any brand and any flavor, like hotcakes. Wish I could find some.

Have any of you heard of electronic cigarettes? My b/f bought an e-cig from a company called Red Dragon, and they are not quite so bad. He liked them so well, he became an affiliate for them. You can find more info on his site: http://www.ecigreddragon.com

And they are about half the price of tobacco cigs, without the 4000 plus toxins. I personally have a battery phobia, so it does not appeal to me. But, I figured maybe some of you might find it appealing, so I thought I would share.

• R
      Aug 13, 2009

Was it this bad when they changed the 1960's marlboro red colors to the less of a cherry red to a brighter red in the mid to late 70's? Is it that big of a deal people? You still get your nicotine, that we obviously and desperately need. Would anyone have noticed if it weren't on the pack or if we wouldn't have been told? Probably not. You wouldve just sucked harder. If you don't like it, switch. But the other companies are all going to follow suit if this little plan sticks. So, shut up, light up, and suck harder to keep your preciouse little life line lit, I know I will. Have a great day and thank you for smoking.

• F
      Sep 15, 2009

Fuk Marlboro and their whole company, they have added less tobacco to the mix, they have added cheaper heavier paper to the mix, filled with holes to make you puff your damn brains out, Take a Marlboro smoke, cut it open and reroll it with a standard rice paper found like in JOB or Zig Zag, it tastes so much better, burns right etc. i quit after 25 years due to this bullchit regulation and PM corporate greed.

Sep 15, 2009

I don't think any forum such as this one will succeed in getting the cigarette companies to revert back to their original way of making their products, although they haven't figured out a way to affect cigars (that I'm aware of). Maybe it IS best that we all quit our addiction. You think the FSA would put their efforts into getting rid of all illeagal drugs in this country, but (alas!) they know that is truely a losing battle.

-KS

• I
      Sep 21, 2009

i agree with everyone these new "fire safe cigarettes" are bad they burn clothes, they taste bad, and there getting way to expensive anymore, too bad we can't grow our own tobacco.
    i am really tired of these cigs every company has got these now, anybody know which ones aren't fire safe?

Nov 01, 2009

SMOKERS!!! You all should switch over to the E CIG!!! Just as the previous person said Way More Healthier. I have been smoking mine for about 6 months Now Love it best Flavor is Strawberry and Vanilla ... I was a smoker of 1 1/2 packs of Marlboro Light 100's for 20 years I have cut back to only 5 Cigarettes per day with hopes of completely getting of those horrible things!!! The 2 piece design is the Best.. no more atomizer problems as for the Cartridge and atomizer are built together no more leaking filters with the 3 piece design. Not to saythe least 1 Carton of smokes that cost $45.99-$65.00 only will cost you with the ECig $14.99 for a carton!! The 2 piece design will give you the highest Vapor Volume on the market Awesome Product!!!
    www.vaporcraze.com Email: [protected]@hotmail.com or www.greensmoke.com
    Are great!!!

Nov 05, 2009

ever since you have made all of your cigarettes fsc they tastse absolutely awful and what use to be a pleasure to smoke, now is more trouble than it's worth.I have been smokeing well over ten years and in those ten years I have smoked only marlboro brand becuase of the flavor.Now I can't even finish a whole cig becuse the taste the flavor has been tainted with this fire safe junk .Not only does it make your cigarette's taste awful it hurt's my chest my wife has already quit smoking because of this fsc.I also know of many other people talking of quiting because of this fire safe junk.And it is in all brands so you can't switch it won't do you any good.If you were to ask me we have the choice to smoke or not to smoke.I think we as individuals should be able to have the choice to smoke with or without this fsc junk in our cigarettes.please get ride of the fire safe junk you put in your cigarettes before you lose all of your customers and go out of buisness.

• T
      Nov 14, 2009

On a recent carton of Marlboro gold, i had several pieces of wood in all the cigrettes. the quality of cigrette looks that of a third grade

• D
      Dec 16, 2009

When you buy Marlboros look for the letters FSC above the barcode.Those are the nasty ones.I found 4 cartons of regulars after about 2 weeks of searching.I refuse to waste my money on the FSC.They are getting almost impossible to find non fsc.Once these are gone I guess Ill quit.They ruined another great American brand.Thanks US and state government.We didn't even get a chance to vote on this BS.Why don't they mess with the alcohol for once.

Dec 18, 2009

I don't think it's anything to do with the paper. My state, Texas is not on the list of fire retadent states. Pour out the "tobacco" into an ashtray. It is cut differently. Winston used to say no additives. It doesn't anymore. I'm switching brands. They added some crap. Vote no with your money. Better yet, let's all grow tobacco in our back yards, and to hell with these guys.

Dec 21, 2009

ashes went in my left eye while driving these new ones suck will switch brands from marlboro

• J
      Dec 31, 2009

why voicing your opion does no good you live in america it is very corupted you have no rights our fore father would turn in there graves if they knew were and how this country is heading

COMMUNIST COMUNIST WE ARE NOW LIKE OTHER FOREIN COUNTRIES WITH KNOW VOICE SORRY FOR ALL OF US IN WHAT WE CALL AMERICA STATE'S OF THE UNION'S COMUNIST

Jan 21, 2010

I agree - I smoke Marlboro Menthol Lights - forever. These past weeks, they start burning part way up, or just burn on one side. They go so fast, my husband thinks I'm smoking so much more. When FSC's first came out, whole embers just dropped right off causing burns me - it is DANGEROUS. Now, they've started these other weird burning - it just starts burning in another place and up the side and having to re-light it. I want reimbursement. My friend smoke regular Marlboros and she does not have this problem - is it only the Menthol Lights?

• P
      Apr 30, 2010

The bottom line here is increased cost to the consumer and lower quality cigarettes. I have been smoking Marlboro's (Red, Mediums, and now lights) for some two plus years and now reside in Idaho. The taste of the cigarettes is so poor now and thought perhaps purchasing them say via mail in Canada may be a possible solution. I'm not certain whom to blame here : the Phillip Morris company or our elected leaders in Washington DC but my thought is the good ole DC boys are kicking funds to PM to degrade their products and squelch smokers. Not certain how a company that sells a product at the same time prospers from cutting its sales but with the price of the products through the roof and the quality of the product falling its just a scam. Just like any drug dealer, you hook the buyers on the good stuff then start cutting the quality and increasing prices. This story is all too common yet with the incentive to do this driven by the US government. What a load of crap!!! Supposedly only changes to packing so that we 'the smoker' don't think a light brand is any less harmful to our health than a full flavored brand. This was the tip of the iceberg. What lie underneath is cutting additives and nicotine levels and the firesafe BS. Guess PM will be rolling dog ### and selling that to us next.

May 23, 2010

the cigs keep going out because they put carpet glue in them to make them go out.ive never had a sinus infection in my whole life until they started putting that in.i switched to winston then to camels same thing.so i went to a smoke stack store that sell cartons for 20.00 full flavor lights or menthol.pure tobaco no chemicals.no sinus infection either.if you reserch you will find that they put 73 differnt chemicals in all their cigs.and they keep raising the prices too.it costs alot to kill yourself.i smoked marlboro for 38 years and quit them perm.think about it when light the next one up.

• V
      Jun 03, 2010

Has anyone noticed that your sinus drain & you cough more? I cough so hard it turns my stomach & you know what happens next. I'm just about to quit spending money on these FSC.

Jun 12, 2010

ban the fsc law, its getting people deathly sick. it contains plastic ringlets and is designed to kill people that are smokers and nonsmokers. i am a nonsmoker, i use be able to be in the same room with smokers till they added this ungodly plastic substance. now i get headaches, nauseated and those i know that smoke do as well. ita an unfair right that got passed while these legal upperclass rich and tobacco producers smoke pure tobacco as they pass these laws. stand up american citizens. too many unethical laws are being passed and putting not only cigarettes in jeopardy but our freedom and liberty as well. any high society person that can do this to average mankind is lowest pasasite harming all mankind.

Aug 17, 2010

I have been a die hard smoker for over 30 years. I am now spending 6.25 per pack. and find I am smoking 2-3 packs a day. I did a time test on how quickly my cigs are burning and plan to submit this to Fox news as well as a MAJOR LAWSUIT. I guess you decided it was okay to put addictive crap in the cigs and now you have me hooked that didn't get to be a PART of the LAST lawsuit, I will tell you that I am so disappointed. You are one of the biggest brands in the country, but you are nothing but a damn miser that can't even keep your cigs from burning up so fast! I will tell you that I see others smoking other brands and theirs lasts 3 TIMES longer than mine. I guess I should start spending $7 bucks on capris. At least a pack might last me a day.

Stop being money hungry and care about your consumers...MR. MORRIS!

Aug 17, 2010

I swear my cigs are burning up 5X's as fast... I guess it's not Morri's fault...however...don't forget he was sued for addictive drugs on a class action suit that cost him millions and his cigs are more ezpensive. I had a box of Capris that are not only thinner, but seemed to burn a lot longer. Darn the FDA...they have no rights to do this to us. We invented them!