Makro Onlineunethical behavior/ makro misleading public

H Nov 21, 2018

I visited Makro Cape Gate on Tuesday 13 November to make use of the national campaign which promise a 10% discount to all Pensioners.

I am a pensioner which I proofed to Makro by providing my GEPF pensioners card. I was then registered as a pensioner and was in a position to received my 10% discount every Tuesday. I visited the Makro in Cape Gate regularly and always received my discount as promised on non-promotional products. Then apparently the rules changed without informing their clients and Makro still advertise discount to pensioners but only over sixty years old.

I am not living close to Cape Gate and had to drive all the way to Makro for my shopping, just to find out that the discount that Makro is offering still says it is a pensioners discount, but it is discriminating against early retirement and pensioners board because they are medical unfit to perform their duties.

I am feeling that Makro is misleading the public by advertising a pensioner discount while it is actually an old age discount that they offer. I escalated the problem to the branch manager _ Johan Swanepoel and he provided me with a contact number to the national Makro Office. Which I phoned on Wednesday to log my complaint. Makro was not very helpful and promised to phone me back but did not even ask any details on my name or contact details. That was just a way to get rid of me without trying to rectify the problem. I feel very offended and discriminated to and would like to make all public aware of the misleading advertisement that Makro is using while discriminating to certain pensioners. I am taking my complain to the newspaper if Makro can not provide legit reasons for such discrimination.

RESOLVED

• Makro Online's response · Sep 03, 2019

Good day Hester,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Kindly accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you and the delayed response. Please advise if this matter has been resolved so that if not, we can offer you further assistance in this regard.

Looking forward to your response.

Kind Regards,