Macy'sreturning merchandise

I tried to return some clothing that was given to me as a gift by an elderly relative. The clothing had all macy's tags on it etc..., and the cashier told me that without a receipt, macy's could only give me 8 cents for all 4 pieces of clothing. Some of it was ralph lauren, nautica etc... She said that without the receipt, there was no way macy's could knowthe clothing was actually paid for! The clothing was not stolen. To add insult to injury, she said they would have to send me my 8 cents through the mail as a certificate — in 4 to 6 weeks!!! This was due to having to "investigate" the clothing! This is my last time in macy's. I took my clothing and left — it will be donated to goodwill.

• My
    MysteryStories Feb 10, 2011

Don't go and get someone fired over following the policy, which, if I remember correctly, since I've been an associate, changed around the time of this post. It used to be that yes, you only got the return for the lowest sales price in the last 180 days. HOWEVER, now, you get those Control tags that makes check out longer but we can go back and see how someone paid for an item. With that though, it's only good for 180 days so if you try to return it after that time the 180 day rule applies. AND after a certain point, some merchandise if not sold goes to the price of a $.01 and we are not supposed to sell it. Also, now, this may not be you, but there are people who will try to scam Macy's for money they don't deserve by pulling stunts like this. I would suggest that before you criticize Macy's and its policies, try working there for 6 months and see how many articles of clothing are lost to thieves, damaged because of lack of care of customers, and discounted to a point where Macy's doesn't make money on it. We see a video in training that would change your mind. All that says it if you get or give a gift, give or get a gift receipt.

• Ge
    georgiana_wilkins Jun 25, 2009

What a [censored]! Usually even without a receipt, they can either refund you back credit through your Macy's card or give you store credit. Not give you .08 cents. What a ###. Sorry you had to go through that. I've done countless returns at Macy's before and they always give me a refund. You were just unlucky. I wish you called Management and get that woman fired.